Intumesce

Type 61: Exceeding Expectations

I don't have access to TI right now either but the stock turret on the STA-1 has horrible gun depression compared to the upgraded one. The first turret has something like 6(?) degreees of gun depression, while the upgraded turret has 10.

Which is pretty problematic on a tank that has to avoid getting hit anywhere because it has no armour.

The stock turret on the Type 61 doesn't share that problem.

Thats a Bingo :D

so, i picked this up yesterday. played 12 games, with only the turret and tracks researched. i really like it. the stock gun is very similar to the 20pdr on the Cent 7/1. it has extremely good DPM. i've been able to abuse that fact. plus its AP pen is better than the T-54s AP pen. for a stock grind I am really enjoying it. im at 2250dpg atm, which for stock is not bad. can't wait to get the top gun, im going to get it before the engine, because even on the stock engine its not that sluggish.

Finally finished the module grind on this tank. Not a very good tank, unfortunately. Best thing I can compare it to is an E-50 that had the gun nerfed and all armour stripped off. The tank works in situations where having a T10 105mm in that situation is all that matters, but bombs hard when you actually need a tank that can spot, or take hits, or flex to distant locations, or... well, do anything but farm damage.

Despite the high dpm the stock grind is kinda bleh, usually you can't make use of that dpm and 240 damage really sucks, especially in 10s where also the 218 pen is somewhat lacking and you can't carry. The fact that I'm sitting at 20% winrate after 20 games doesn't really help either.

When the dpm works though, hooooly shit. This game lasted pretty much exactly 7 minutes:

oRseh8c.jpg

Tanks like the STA/Type 61 just don't work anymore. You cant have no armour and (for the Type, at least) no camo unless you get a really big ass gun or incredible mobility out of the deal.

And even then it is incredibly iffy (see: waffle).

I can't really afford to free xp modules so I just slapped on enhanced suspensions and got to work on grinding. The gun isn't the problem. I can live with that alpha and definitely that penetration. 

I absolutely hate the stock turret. The tumor is so fucking big it makes the AT-7 look tame. Poking ridgelines with it is a big no no, people will spot you at least a full second before you see anyone because of that godforsaken tumor. 

Also doesn't help that since the first game in it, I haven't been top tier a single time and I've played about a dozen games since... Plus meeting a CHAI toon and a BADGR toon... and a VILIN player... oh my jesus. 

So much better luck today, and my oh my this tank is the epitome of "Make sure you have close to full health for the end game." IMO, it's pretty hard to get large amounts of damage done in the beginning and mid game, even, unless your enemies give you free damage. I found that you'll accumulate a lot of damage from the endgame, and since you have no armor you really need that health. 

Also, DPM with 90mm is fucking ridiculous. I have rammer and 100% crew without BIA, no vents, no food, and the reload is 4.32 seconds. That is fucking ridiculous. 3333 dpm. Ridiculous.

Ok, I am now officially convinced this tank is cursed. I have played 30 games in it so far and my winrate is 26%, TWENTY SIX PERCENT! Thats 8 wins in 30 games. The amount of 3-15/4-15 stomps is absolutely insane and I am completely unable to do any damage whatsoever in most games.

Getting really close to rageselling it and finishing the mission in the STA...

That's actually what happened to me in the first 15 or so battles. 4 wins, then like a bajillion losses in a row. My WR is still bad, like 42%. I just grinded out the top gun. Good god. I find I get a lot more roflstomps on this tank for some reason. 

Tested bit like that too. Feels very situational, some times 90mm is better then 105, sometimes worse. Losing alpha is considerable handicap, penetration too. 90mm really needs opportunities to get multiple hits in row and those can be rare as opponents often can get cover after first hit. Also it can only fit like 41 ammo and its very possible to totally run out of ammo. But still 90mm feels fine option too, though 105mm feels bit more reliable. 

Dont thing EJ runs 90mm purely either, some stream I was watching he was swapping between guns and doing usually excellently with both.

The stock grind on this tank has me mystified.  I am doing LESS avg damage per game than with the STA so far, even though it feels noticeably better of a tank than the STA (like 300 dmg per game less so far) and can't win to save my life. At 20 games so far, I'm running a 35% winrate. By contrast the STA was a solid tank for me, not as good as the Pershing, but 56% winrate over 160+ games.  It seems to be a bit snakebit.  I had 2 games in a row where I got arty focused in the first 1:30 of a game. One game I got one shot by an Obj 261.  The second I gate 2 shots from a T10 Batchat arty's clip.  I was starting to blame the stock grind, but it doesn't seem like it has any major handicaps.  The Patton and T54's stock grinds had a lot LESS to work with and I did fine. What am I missing? The massive extra T10 looks? or does this play decidedly different stock than the STA even though it FEELS the same?

The stock grind on this tank has me mystified.  I am doing LESS avg damage per game than with the STA so far, even though it feels noticeably better of a tank than the STA (like 300 dmg per game less so far) and can't win to save my life. At 20 games so far, I'm running a 35% winrate. By contrast the STA was a solid tank for me, not as good as the Pershing, but 56% winrate over 160+ games.  It seems to be a bit snakebit.  I had 2 games in a row where I got arty focused in the first 1:30 of a game. One game I got one shot by an Obj 261.  The second I gate 2 shots from a T10 Batchat arty's clip.  I was starting to blame the stock grind, but it doesn't seem like it has any major handicaps.  The Patton and T54's stock grinds had a lot LESS to work with and I did fine. What am I missing? The massive extra T10 looks? or does this play decidedly different stock than the STA even though it FEELS the same?

It sees bigger guns and has less camo. Perhaps that is the issue...

When stock I played the Type exactly as I had played the STA. You will get rocked by arty due to poor armor and as sr says you face stiffer opposition than the STA did. The good news is I find the Type to be completely workable and even enjoyable at times once elite.

Also... tiny sample size.

What gun do you prefer on this tank, also upgrade path?

I mounted torsion bars, equipped Turret and that's it. I really love the stock gun on this, reload is simply amazing so is the gun handling.