Garbad

Garbad's Standardized crew/equipment/consumables setup for ALL tanks - Updated 11/12/2014

Who is more of a retard?  

371 members have voted

1. 1. Who is more of a retard?

And I thought there was an extra "replace vents with optics on tanks with ~400m view range"..

I remember these threads. Good stuff. I also remember a thread in which you went through your very thorough reasoning about why repair skill shouldn't be used, and after speaking with them many unica don't use it (at least not first -- maybe as a third or 4th skill I suppose). No idea where it may be. Worse, I don't remember any of your reasons. For 99% of the work force (including me), repair is the first skill to grow on just about every heavy and medium; it's just the intuitive thing to do, like camo for lights, TDs and arty. But you rebuked(?) that. Think you can either find that thread or else repost your reasons?

Technically all it would take is one female or one kewei for the average number of balls to be less than two.

In any case, most of the debate here is going to about BIA vs Gunnery

I'd say TDs could possibly run Optics at high tiers to negate mediums running optics and to restore their spotting advantage. I personally run vents on my 268 though.

As for crew skills.

CMD: 6TH, EAG, REP, SIT

GUN: DES, DED, REP, SNP

DRV: REP, CAM, CLU, ORD

LDR: ADR, CAM, REP, FIR
LDR: SST, CAM, REP, FIR

Camo is already astoundingly high, I would run Eagle Eye simply because of the huge amount of information I can learn when I'm aiming at a target (good for platoons too), though I'm considering respeccing to Camo over repairs.

Designated target syncs well with slow aiming guns and eagle eye. Most high tier TD shells cause much more damage to modules (often destroying instead of damaging), deadeye increases your chance at onehitting the ammorack or fuel of a tank. 

I find offroading to help with terrain resistance quite significantly.

My tanks run with food, not a fire extinguisher, firefighting on the two loaders ensures that the fourth skill on them is more than a dump skill.

My main consideration here is in replacing repair with camo.

That's optics, not repairs. In the main WOT forums long ago you had a thread about not skilling(?) your crews with repairs. Have that link? Or, again, can you just give a synopsis here?

Executive summary: Thoughts on the value and prioritization of clutch braking?

If you disagree, post your version here. 

I'm not really in any position to disagree (it was only last week that I figured out that I can move the camera without the turret by holding down the right mouse button), but I've been reading as much as I can (thankfully I found this site early).

Your recommendations seem to largely be in line with that of the other purples (not surprisingly), but I am most interested in where they might diverge.

Specifically, one of the first threads I found while researching, and which I have made heavy use of, is allurai's pinned over in another section of these forums.

In that thread, he recommends repairs as the bread and butter skill for heavies, superceded only by a few exceptions: sixth sense (no controversy), preventative maintenance for tanks like the E100, and most interestingly, clutch braking.

Allurai argues that clutch braking makes a heavy tank quicker to respond to circling mediums, and also to turn to angle armor. This made sense to me, so I've been putting it on all my heavies (which has been my focus to date).

I was pretty content until I saw a comment made by Rexxie that clutch braking is not a gimme choice except for slower heavies, and then I noticed that in various threads most purples don't actually seem to use it, or if they do, they don't prioritize it like allurai, who also incidentally seems to highly value it on mediums, lights, and TDs as well.

So, as the executive summary says, I'd like your input (as well as that of other purples) as to the value and prioritization of clutch braking.

Vert / ram / GLD.  I'm not a big fan of spalls.

Me neither but I run spall instead of GLD on my E100.  Like you I despise artillery and since I don't have the ability to dodge it (and I'm not gonna hide all match) I went with spall to laugh at Bat arty when it hits me for 150 HP.

What should I run on the Tortoise? I now run Rammer/Vents/Optics, but is tempted to replace Optics with Spall liner due to arty and frequent crew losses.

Garbad, what's your crew skill and equipment recommendation for an FV215 183? Currently I have GLD, Camo Net, and Rammer. Crew skills include 6th Sense, Safe Stowage, BIA, and then a mix of camo/repair. There is a Snap Shot skill for the gunner, but I think that's a skill to have for a medium tank and is geared towards firing on the move while the turret is rotating, which is possible on the 183 but a bad idea because of its bad accuracy.

Me neither but I run spall instead of GLD on my E100.  Like you I despise artillery and since I don't have the ability to dodge it (and I'm not gonna hide all match) I went with spall to laugh at Bat arty when it hits me for 150 HP.

And how has your luck been with the Spall Liner so far on your E100? I thought SL's were laughed at, but are they acceptable now for larger t0nks?

I wish it was a bit more effective than it is.

It's going to be more effective on a non-city map where you are more vulnerable to artillery so it's a bit of a gamble to use it but... if you despise clickers and want to minimize their influence then it's worth consideration. (You're still gonna be pissed when you get Sand River though).

I wish it was a bit more effective than it is.

It's going to be more effective on a non-city map where you are more vulnerable to artillery so it's a bit of a gamble to use it but... if you despise clickers and want to minimize their influence then it's worth consideration. (You're still gonna be pissed when you get Sand River though).

i'm saving on getting a maus soon, have been running setup similar to garbads on the E100 but wanted to get the spall liner for the Maus, think it's a better applicant for sp then E100?

I was under the assumption that you go with repair first and then when it is completed you retrain to the perks or skills that you need and just train repairs since it is always active. Is there a reason to not do this? Thank you guys.

I was under the assumption that you go with repair first and then when it is completed you retrain to the perks or skills that you need and just train repairs since it is always active. Is there a reason to not do this? Thank you guys.

Because I'm cheap.

I don't think that the AT-15, Tortoise, or Waffentrager auf E 100 would benefit much from a GLD.

What would a purple suggest for fast aiming or autoloading TD's?

For the AT-15, Tort and the like, you'll want to run Rammer/Net/Binocs or Rammer/Optics/Vents. The former for a passive player, the latter for a more active player. I'd usually be iffy about suggesting binocs and net as top tier equips, but with the AT-15's gun arc you literally never have to break them while sniping. My only issue with this setup is that you're kind of gimped on a number of maps where sniping is just not viable.

Waffen, I run optics/binos/spall since I dont really hardcamp enough to ever really want to use a net's camo. If you're a supercamp Waffen, grab net instead of spall.

I don't think that the AT-15, Tortoise, or Waffentrager auf E 100 would benefit much from a GLD.

What would a purple suggest for fast aiming or autoloading TD's?

For TDs non autoloader:  Rammer, Optics, and GLD.

For the waffle:  Optics, GLD, spall liner.

For TDs non autoloader:  Rammer, Optics, and GLD.

For the waffle:  Optics, GLD, spall liner.

I assume this is because the Waffle can't mount a rammer and everyone likes spamming HE at it? Is this the only tank you'd mount it on? It seems most purples think spall liner is pretty much a waste, so I'm assuming this is a special case where there's nothing else useful and it can help a bit with the HE spam?

Also, perhaps my earlier question was too wordy, but if you have time I'd appreciate your thoughts on the value and prioritization of clutch braking. I expanded on this (perhaps too much) in post 12, but allurai in the sticky on this forum recommends clutch as a priority for the driver on pretty much every tank, while others don't seem to value it so highly.

Ideally, I'd like you and other purples to interact with his reasoning, but if you don't have time, I'll take any thoughts you have. Thanks.

I assume this is because the Waffle can't mount a rammer and everyone likes spamming HE at it? Is this the only tank you'd mount it on? It seems most purples think spall liner is pretty much a waste, so I'm assuming this is a special case where there's nothing else useful and it can help a bit with the HE spam?

Also, perhaps my earlier question was too wordy, but if you have time I'd appreciate your thoughts on the value and prioritization of clutch braking. I expanded on this (perhaps too much) in post 12, but allurai in the sticky on this forum recommends clutch as a priority for the driver on pretty much every tank, while others don't seem to value it so highly.

Ideally, I'd like you and other purples to interact with his reasoning, but if you don't have time, I'll take any thoughts you have. Thanks.

I don't see the comment you refer to.