Intumesce

STB-1 Thread

The Type 61 should have done a fine job at that already.

I pulled 2.8k WN8 in that tank, actually.

@Marine: My remark about WN8 re: the STB was intended as sarcasm. The tank wrecks face, even if the turret trolls you almost as often as it trolls the enemy.

Screw WN8 values. Is it a fun tank? Then, enjoy playing it. If you're that worried about WN8, you're worried about the wrong damn thing

For me the low expected is just motivation to pull higher DPGs.

:kwim:

Never ever got the fuss about the STB-1s gun handling it's not great by any standards but people make out like it's a Cromwell or a CDC. 

Like the Fatton for example apparently has great gun handling yet only has marginally better turret traverse dispersion than the STB-1.

Good crew plus medium/short range the thing is a beast with any sort of ridge or hill to work with, that turret + that DPM + great gun handling it would be flat out OP.

So I bought the STB yesterday. I think I need to work on figuring out the proper combat range for this tank; it's clearly not a long-range sniper. That said, it has all the good aspects of the Type 61 plus some semblance of turret armor and actual camo (because the Type 61 is visible from fucking space even with a max camo crew). This is a super smexy tank, but with an expected damage value higher than all the other tier 10 meds, it's going to tank my WN8. :feelsbad:

Yeah, I like the 61, despite the fact I suck in it, but it should have bright orange fluorescent camo paint, or possibly a tall mast with a blinking red light.....because it gets spotted constantly no matter how carefully one may hide.  I try to play it like a T20 (yes, I am an idiot) but that does not work.

Purple guys----On the STB-1, who rarely uses prem, and who slings it with wild abandon?

Edited by Prosqtor

Not even kidding, I fire so much fucking heat out of this thing I should pen every shot. So it is 5 shots for most mediums for me. I personally think that makes the STB a lot stronger in many situations, so I do it.

You could say I fire prem :fish:

I know Kewei shot a lot of prem, and most people I know on NA fire a good deal of prem.

The prem shell has the downside of getting eaten by tracks though, and when the gun is this derpy that really sucks actually.

Edited by MagentaPanda

Purple guys----On the STB-1, who rarely uses prem, and who slings it with wild abandon?

Of all the T10 meds, the STB is the one to spam HEAT in. While it's not very noticeable considering the overkill amounts of pen most of them get, the STB is noticeably worse at reliably penning compared to anything except a Bat. It has the lowest penetration of all the meds, and all the tanks with similarly poor gun handling (Leo 1, 4202, 121) all have the most penetration. The STB neither gets that penetration nor the laser accuracy that tanks like the ru meds have.

With HEAT, though? Suddenly that problem disappears, and the STB's penetration is right on par with the high pen meds. Additionally, the STB gets high velocity HEAT ammo, which also gives it an advantage over the 62A/140/Bat etc and their lousy velocity. Yes, you do have to deal with HEAT problems, but overall that gun handling wall that separates it from its peers gets stripped down. I'd certainly like to invite players who haven't given it much thought to give the STB your wallet for a day and see how it performs.

Sadly I think this is all by design. The STB is made to be extremely expensive, it's supposed to be a sort of credit sink for high-skill players.

To elaborate, given Rexxie certainly did, one of the first things I noticed while socking the STB-1 was how much fucking better this thing got with liberal gold ammo. The APCR is useful for sure, but being able to actually snapshot anything with mediocre armor (T30, T32, IS-3, IS-5, other things on par with these) really helps a tank that is frequently crippled by the fact it (with APCR this is) would have to expose for sometime while having no real reliable hull armor. 

In all seriousness I find the use of APCR on this tank to be situational, rather than HEAT being situational. 

Interesting about the shell velocity by the way, I hadn`t thought through why I liked the HEAT quite this much. 

This all being said, I load 24 APCR, 20 HEAT (IIRC) and 2 HE. Frequently find all the HEAT used up, but if you are not retarded and shooting it at T69s then you will be fine. 

Edited by MagentaPanda

Of all the T10 meds, the STB is the one to spam HEAT in. While it's not very noticeable considering the overkill amounts of pen most of them get, the STB is noticeably worse at reliably penning compared to anything except a Bat. It has the lowest penetration of all the meds, and all the tanks with similarly poor gun handling (Leo 1, 4202, 121) all have the most penetration. The STB neither gets that penetration nor the laser accuracy that tanks like the ru meds have.

With HEAT, though? Suddenly that problem disappears, and the STB's penetration is right on par with the high pen meds. Additionally, the STB gets high velocity HEAT ammo, which also gives it an advantage over the 62A/140/Bat etc and their lousy velocity. Yes, you do have to deal with HEAT problems, but overall that gun handling wall that separates it from its peers gets stripped down. I'd certainly like to invite players who haven't given it much thought to give the STB your wallet for a day and see how it performs.

Sadly I think this is all by design. The STB is made to be extremely expensive, it's supposed to be a sort of credit sink for high-skill players.

Thanks Rexxie. I have sometimes fired a lot of heat from tanks that do not need it, and also sometimes not realized how badly a tank DOES need it.  I have been only carrying 5 prem rounds in the 61, in an effort to not waste so many credits, and the regular rounds DO pen most of the time.  However, I also had a match in which I HIT 20 shots and only penned 5......all of which, I believe, were prem.  However, my aim also sucks, so there is that.

I suck in the 61, rolling along at about 1450 WN8 and ruining my recent stats, all for the dubious privilege of going bankrupt in the STB-1.  Ha.

Thanks also to MP.

Edited by Prosqtor

Just bought this as my first tier 10. Never had this much fun playing a tank before. Though I'll save my judgement until I unlock and play a few more tier 10s.

About the HEAT, I haven't really been spamming it that much. Maybe I just need some time to adjust and really get a feel for unlocking the tank's potential to understand where you're getting at. 

BPdgJM8.png

That was crazy fun.

Edited by neziho

To elaborate, given Rexxie certainly did, one of the first things I noticed while socking the STB-1 was how much fucking better this thing got with liberal gold ammo. The APCR is useful for sure, but being able to actually snapshot anything with mediocre armor (T30, T32, IS-3, IS-5, other things on par with these) really helps a tank that is frequently crippled by the fact it (with APCR this is) would have to expose for sometime while having no real reliable hull armor. 

In all seriousness I find the use of APCR on this tank to be situational, rather than HEAT being situational. 

Interesting about the shell velocity by the way, I hadn`t thought through why I liked the HEAT quite this much. 

This all being said, I load 24 APCR, 20 HEAT (IIRC) and 2 HE. Frequently find all the HEAT used up, but if you are not retarded and shooting it at T69s then you will be fine. 

I am still a complete goof in this tank, but I would suggest more HE to lob at the Waffle 100 (as well as the VIII and IX), which I have found (in a small sample) to work very well.

The one major con is the gun handling which I think is easily mitigated by:

-getting closer than ~350m

-factoring in that extra patience needed for the aim time when making shots.

-improve the stats as much as possible with equipment/skills/food.

Optics are nice in general, but vents are a very valid choice on this tank.

how valid exactly? what I gain if I give up vents to optics?

I am really enjoying this tank. It helps that my slut crew is 90% on their 4th crew skill, and the equipment I use is dedicated towards the gun.

This is my progress so far. I wonder what it will be like when I hit 100 games in it.

TCOyvdX.jpg

Front line medium? Even closer than Russia medium?

More important than the distance is whether you have a ridge/ledge/some obstacle that gives you hull down cover for all but your turret. Don't get too close so that they don't aim anymore and never negate your turret slopes by being below enemies because then they just pen your turret.

Overall, the STB-1 when maxed with food/vents/bia/smooth/snapshot spits out shells so quickly that it doesn't matter that much whether you miss a few shots.

Edited by jokobet

In terms of optimal engagement range, kinda, yeah. In terms of how they play and what they actually are, not at all, even without the hull armour factored in. STB's firepower is crazy amounts better and it's stupid amounts faster. E5 is much tankier and the gun handles much better.

Also the STB doesn't have turret armor, it just has a small turret with some auto bounce angles. The STB shines at mid to close range fighting. When hull down and moving the STB is extremely hard to hit.

I'm going to have to try this.  I recently started playing the STB again as an experiment, but I was mostly using APCR and it does seem to do really infuriating things constantly.  I did roughly a full day of it at barely-above-potato kinds of DPG, so maybe i'll try that again with HEAT as the primary round and see if I fare better.  Will report back.

I just unlocked this tank on the console and after a couple dozen games I'm intrigued by switching out optics for vents given its strength of fighting at mid-range and closer (I find the bloom to be too much when moving the turret at distance). Has anyone tried this with positive results? The console reload is 6.75 without vents. Is the slight increase in reload worth it?

I'm hoping to mark this tank (1st MOE on the Type 61 and got up to low 70s before unlocking the STB), and think that this thread has been helpful in gaining additional insight on what makes this tank click from an equipmemt perspective. The rest is up to me. I did have this game last night.

Regarding, the comments on HEAT, I load out 10 rounds, but might consider a higher ratio to try out.  

STB-1 Battle.JPG

Quite a few people run vents on the STB, even those who would normally run optics. You wouldn't be aiming for a better reload with the vents, you would be going for better gun handling. 

I've been persuaded by X3N4 to go vents on mediums these days, and I haven't really noticed a difference. I wouldn't fret too much about optics vs vents. Just choose one and go with it, the player driving the tank is a far, FAR bigger impact on performance.

9 hours ago, cpraf104 said:

Quite a few people run vents on the STB, even those who would normally run optics. You wouldn't be aiming for a better reload with the vents, you would be going for better gun handling. 

I've been persuaded by X3N4 to go vents on mediums these days, and I haven't really noticed a difference. I wouldn't fret too much about optics vs vents. Just choose one and go with it, the player driving the tank is a far, FAR bigger impact on performance.

Thank you for the feedback. I realize it's not apples to apples regarding the console I use compared to the PC, but I'm getting used to a 6.75 sec reload. I suppose I could use food, but it get expensive for just playing solo. I've been able to get my damage rating to just below 55% and I'm working on my 7th skill/perk. It's an enjoyable tank, but the accuracy has me scratching my head sometimes. 

I run Food / BIA / Vents on my STB and it is a noticeable difference when running food versus without.  While yes food is expensive, just buy it on sale.  When the STB was on track on PC they also conveniently had a consumable sale so I picked up 400 food.  Like people have previously stated, I wouldn't worry about Optics vs Vents in mediums, especially when food is involved.  They are removing all the bush sniping, non-corridor maps so camo abuse isn't as likely as it was in the past.  Might as well maximize gun handling, DPM, etc when you are going to get a city map 3/4 matches anyway.

For the ammo loadout, I run 30 APCR and 20 HEAT.  I have found it does well, especially with the recent E5 buff.

I swapped out optics for vents and now have a reload of 6.6 seconds. I haven't really noticed the loss of optics so this is what I think I'll continue to run. Not aware that food goes on sale for the XBOX so I'll have to pass on the food for now.

This has become one of my go to Tier 10s along with the Leo 1. It's a lot of fun to drive once you accept the sometimes inconsistent gun handling. I'm just about to my first mark (63.5ish), but have been focusing on increasing my damage output versus damage taken ratio along with focusing on providing flanking for our heavies to relieve pressure.

Really appreciate the info on here. Most of it is very applicable to this solo console player.

Update & Question: I seem to be hitting a ceiling regarding my 1st MOE on this tank. I'm bouncing between 61-64% and will have a string of good games (recent Top gun/High Caliber) followed by a stinker or two that will drop me back down a notch or two.

I'm thinking that there may be two things holding me back; being too aggressive and not taking advantage of food for that extra boost to skills. I understand that I can control the first facet that's holding me back. I only solo so I need to possibly be more cautious at the beginning of the game until I understand what kind of team I'm part of.

The second facet regarding food is my question. Does the use of food really make that dynamic of a difference in terms of tank performance, i.e. aim time, reload, turret/track traverse, etc.? I've never used it so I don't have a reference (I got my 3rd MOE on my Hellcat and 1st MOE on my Leopard 1, E-25 and Tortoise without using food). Any feedback on how tangible a difference this makes is appreciated. Thanks.