Valreesio

Do medals like Radley-Walter's validate a player?

their nice to get, but dont really indicate skill. I was at nearly 7K games before I got my first radley's. my one and only Pools was from when I cleared north flank with my platoon mate, and then our south flank fell because they fired everything and killed nothing. so I just 1 shot the ~6 tanks that rolled up to cap. top it off with an arty kill and that's pools. (and BIA, and Crucial Contribution lol) 

sometimes they indicate massive carrying, sometimes they're just pure luck.

I think that easilly obtainable medals are more related to skill, but merely as an indicator.

I have 1 top gun for every 105 games played while Garbad has 1 top gun for every 38 battles, it is 2.76* difference

As for sniper I have 1 for every 20.6 games played, Garbad has 1 every 13.1 battles, it is 1.57* difference

In WN8 Garbad is 1.9 better (or contributes 1.9* more) than me (someone said that WN8 is first rating that can be used this way)

So we can say that medals corellate with performance but not very exactly. Platoons, CW and playstyle have too strong effect. Probably with bigger sample of data, this measurement could be more accurate, but still not close enough to say something. Harder obtainable medals are even more luck dependant.

My only Pool's medal is in my M4 (Yes, I was a dirty derper).

I don't think medals indicate skill so much as the lack of medals indicates little skill. I've noticed that the longer I play (And generally the better I get), I get more Sniper medals and Top Gun medals. Somebody said it earlier, you get better and you learn different firing lanes, tactics, etc. that help you earn those nifty little coins.

Honestly, just ignore medals beyond novelty. They are kind of fun and might make it a game out of getting the last kill or make a certain game feel more rewarding. Look at your winrate and your wn8 to determine if you are a good player, those reflect skill much better. Not saying they are perfect and there are some loopholes there too but in general they are way more relevant than medals to games played.

Should I be doing better than I have been?

You have a lot of sniper medals. This is a good sign, at least that you can aim well compared to the people you have on your teams (~tier).

On the other hand, this is also simply reflected in the hit ratio...

Don't worry too much, play good games, go for dmg and victory, all the rest will automatically follow.

Tito

Like all stats medals can be padded/farmed, and RW/pools/Kolobanov are more all about having the right conditions which in the most part is luck rather than manufactured.

That being said if you combine medals with stats such as average tier, they can show you if the player is good or not, by the consistency of getting medals such as TG, sniper etc.

Another point (and I think this only applys the Kolobanov)  can be a sign that a player is too defensive, getting a Kolobanov medal for the most part happens when you let your team die, being left with more hp than the combination of the 5 enemies left alive (and obviously the enemies have top be stupid enough to not work together).

IMO the best part of the medal system is simply to give you full exp in a defeat when you have performed well and your team has folded 

Another point (and I think this only applys the Kolobanov)  can be a sign that a player is too defensive, getting a Kolobanov medal for the most part happens when you let your team die, being left with more hp than the combination of the 5 enemies left alive (and obviously the enemies have top be stupid enough to not work together).

Eh.  I agree it -can- be but it really depends on the tank.  I got my first Kolobanov in a Matilda.  I am very aggressive but it is very, very slow.  It also happens to be an excellent finisher and my fail team did a good job of putting a shot or two into each enemy before they imploded.

http://wotreplays.com/site/348863#severogorsk-rkel76-matilda

Awesomely fun game for me but I got the medal because my team failed and the other team failed harder - not because I did anything particularly spectacular.  The two idiots left on the other team were even kind enough to let me cap.  In a Matilda.

You have a lot of sniper medals. This is a good sign, at least that you can aim well compared to the people you have on your teams (~tier).

On the other hand, this is also simply reflected in the hit ratio...

Don't worry too much, play good games, go for dmg and victory, all the rest will automatically follow.

Tito

But it can also mean you fire only sure hit shots. Sometimes levelling a building, firing on the move or firing a blind shot is a good way to expose enemy. So the medals don't say much. The more you have the better, but medals don't make a great player. On the other hand they please you and make you happy :)

To add to the OP's original question??

Regardless of tank minus ARTY, because ARTY can burn in hell..... 

Does having "Mastery Badge, Ace Tanker"  matter?  Taking into accout I have 63\160 "Mastery badges"  but I know other tankers that have it in almost all of their tanks?

Shfty

As I've said, it's a reverse-sword in the stone.

Having the medals indicates nothing special.

NOT having them indicates retardation

If you have an Invincible medal you're most likely a terrible player.

I've got one for my AT2, where I got hit in every game, but no one damaged me.  It's for six games, and I had high kills and damage in most of them.  The best thing about that tank is the pure rage it generates in enemies who bounce shot after shot after shot off of you.  

If you've got a lot of them, though, in poorly armored tanks, you are probably a bot or an AFK player.  

Too much context that is required to determine if they're "real" medals or not, not really worth the time or effort.

Example: I have one Kolobanov's medal. It was a bitch to earn where I fought in a wounded Hellcat against two tanks, three TDs, and an arty and won. There are people out there with several, earned solely because they play assault and the attackers ran out of time before they found the last vehicle or capped the base.

But a far more accurate conclusion would be that a LACK of those medals indicates a terrible player.

My feelings as well.  I would never say "This guys has 100 Heavy Hoisting Hero medals, he must be good!" but I would definitely say "20,000 battles and only 4 Top Guns?  I hope this guy never breeds."

A lot of the rare medals are largely due to luck.  I have 3 Kolobanov's medals.  One was a hard fought carry.  One was simply surviving on the defending side of an assault match that a platoon dragged me into.  The third was sneaking my Luchs into the cap circle while the enemy team was stuck in the Lakeville valley.  Honestly, none of them were all that great of games.  Good, certainly, but not great.  I've had much more impressive matches where I had 1 or 2 useless teammates left, or matches I outfought 8 tanks and won, but my last teammate died when there were fewer than 5 enemies left.

If I'm evaluating a player, I rarely make it down to the medals section.

I don't think medals indicate skill so much as the lack of medals indicates little skill. 

Having the medals indicates nothing special.

NOT having them indicates retardation

My feelings as well.  I would never say "This guys has 100 Heavy Hoisting Hero medals, he must be good!" but I would definitely say "20,000 battles and only 4 Top Guns?  I hope this guy never breeds."

If I'm evaluating a player, I rarely make it down to the medals section.

Thanks for the further clarification guys. Deus, yours just made me laugh hard, thank you for that. I cannot imagine pulling out a top gun every 38 games, mine is 1:164. I wish I could do that, but wow. As for my sniper count, yeah I take my time and aim. I like to make sure that I hit my target. If I am in something with a quick reload and plenty of ammo (M4, Chaffee, etc.) I will level an entire village to root out an enemy if that is what it takes, but for the slower loading TD's and heavies I tend to hold unless I have something to shoot at.

But this brings up another point.

Now with the ability to shoot through cover (some cover), I have been trying it out and penning an enemy behind a rock fence or through a small house is just amazing. What makes it better is I think most of the people playing have no idea that this has changed. Has anyone else noticed this also?

Please go to this thread: and post there if you want. Let's stick to medals here.

Tito

Top gun ratio is a better judge I think. Specially since these medals only exist since 8.6 or so...

right, the other day i was seal clubbing in my alt account ...........

and ran across a dude with 16k battles, 62% win rate, EFF at about 50 or so

Looked good until I checked the vehicles tab, 15k in a tier one. idk how anyone can do 15k in a tier one.

and had 3688 top gun awards.

should have saved the name so we could worship the real seal clubber.

Got a Kolobanovs back before the wipe in my derp KV (pre-split).

The amount of idiocy it took was staggering.  Not only did they come one at a time, they also spaced themselves out by 30 seconds or more.

So yeah, extreme medals are near-useless outliers.  But the less extreme ones (TG, Sniper, Steel Wall in certain cases, Partol) are more closely related to skill.

1: the only medals with value are those who are in-game since the beginning (my 28k games and 2 pools vs 10k games player and 3 pools

2: a lot of medals are random to get, and more luck as skill orientated (even stuff like kolobanov)

3: conditions of medals ``change`` or you now get a medal for someting you could not get a medal before (radley walters, pools etc, i have more tanks with +10 kills as pools medals, heck i even had more +10 kill games with KT as i have pools (all before you could get pools medals...)

So all in all, its like Echolon said: Having the medals indicates nothing special. NOT having them indicates retardation