Shackram

Lorraine 40t Appreciation Thread

Is it bad that I kinda love this tank?

It is my only tier 9 so far, and it is the most rewarding tank I have atm (prob because it's my highest tier tank). I just love fast tanks that just burst the shit out of someone and can leave at a moment's notice. My playstyle is aggressive and impatient, so that may be the reason why I loved it. Then again... I loved the Chi-Ri and I could just be masochistic idk.

Let me know how you feel after 200 battles.

I never went through with that. I ended up repurchasing my M53/55 and free xp'ing from the FV304 to the FV3805.

Considering my two most recent tier 9 tanks are a Type 61 and a Leo Prot, I'm finding the Lorrie completely fine. No armour, great mobility, decent camo and a good (if derpy as hell) gun? Yeah, used to this.

I drive it pretty aggressively early on. Taking up early spotting locations, firing a shot or two, then pulling out and relocating. Only late game, or when you get an incredibly juicy target, do you use that full clip. Use hard cover and ridge-lines, not camo bushes.

Late game you can play the normal autoloader silly buggers.

Things I like: the speed. This thing is seriously rapid for something this big.

Things I dislike: the aim time. I'm willing to take snap-shots early game, because I'm not worried about only using small pieces of a clip, but it is seriously hard work.

God I suck with this tank.  I take way too much damage and usually only pen maybe half of my clip each time.  The mobility is awesome though and I have a full repair crew on it, man those tracks get repaired fast.

Researched:

Bat.-Châtillon 25 t researched. Undistributed experience spent: 199872. Free Experience spent: 128.

Thank fucking god. 

Researched:

Bat.-Châtillon 25 t researched. Undistributed experience spent: 199872. Free Experience spent: 128.

Thank fucking god. 

Couldn't do one more battle to save that 128 of free xp? =D

I have to say, I was always a bit scared of going for the BC 25 because I knew after the nice 13 90 there will be the Lorraine. I really feared it and expected it to be very big shit but now after I bought it, I must say, I had no idea what I was thinking, this tank is just exceeding my expectations easily, it's way more worse than I could ever expect.

The combination of shell reload time and clipsize requires a lot of time to put the whole mag into the enemy and the alpha-dmg isnt really fearsome at all. So you have to expose yourself for a time to deal actually dmg which is noticeable. Not to mention the aiming time which extends your time of exposition even more.

Does this thing have even one advantage over the T54E1 besides speed?

Does this thing have even one advantage over the T54E1 besides speed?

If you turn sideways just before dying it make's much better cover.

My Lorry is so bad it makes my Chi-Ri look like a keeper. I do 2.1 KPG in it and take 1456 damage per game. Survival rate is about 26% and win rate 59% after 68 matches. 

My Lorraine has lower armor-use efficiency than my 13 90, at 0.05 instead of 0.06 (once bounced 2 shots in a row from a bat off my front hull's spare wheel, maybe due to angle, or just OP spare wheels)

This is a rough analogue of how I feel about the Lorraine, replace with WG HQ and relevant factors like Gun Handling, Mobility, Clip REload and so on in the text behind the guy and it's about right:

http://rippersplitter.deviantart.com/art/An-Honest-and-Mature-Response-to-ME3-SPOILERS-290577755

Being a horrible player I expected to suffer at lorriane but boy was I surprised. I think the horrible reputation made me play very cautious and it got me very good results. Being very cautious with it so it's hard to get amazing games but before I went full retard in the last 5 games I remember having over 2.2 K/D ratio. I know 29 games is a small sample but that's really good.

Few things surprised me though:

1. Is the expected damage super low? The wn8 numbers on it got fairly high

2. I still got way too little damage because in wanting to carry games and using your autoloader late game you finish off tanks and often get very little per shot.

What equipment do you suggest for it? Vert, gld, Vent?

My 2100+ avg damage in the lorraine puts my wn8 just bellow 2900 so the expected damage seems about right. It has a lot more potential than I can extract, but it's an unforgiving beast.

http://www.vbaddict.net/wn8/antikondor-eu-1f30c605fbcdb355e6ff9cd3d9d944da/france-4/lorraine-40-t-22

I think lorrianne has thought me one thing about how I play. I am overly agressive and I overextend. Since everyone told me to be very careful because it's a crap tank I was way more cautious and it may brind results. Had a few games in my leo and obj140 at the same time and well my medum gameplay is much better than it was. Hope it stays that way.

I am having mixed emotions about this tank after reading what people are saying. On one hand I think I should free xp past it and just level up the crew in the 13 90 (I have a WR of 59%). While for most of you that's just blah, for me its a big deal I'm not that great of a player but, getting better. I will try it out and see how it goes and post my thoughts after I start in on it. I just have another 18 k to go in the 13 90 which is not that hard to get when you get 700-1 k xp a game. The amx 13 90 is a tank I hated for a long time, but started falling in love with that tank its really great even with its faults.

Thank you all for sharing your take on the Lorr 40 t I hope mine is a good one as I don't platoon.

MourDeib

I'm quite sure the higher the player skill the more likely they are to despise this thing due to lack of camouflage and soft stats, which are what matter the most to better players. Fat and low armour? No problem as long as gun depression is good enough and the gun handles well enough to be accurate.

Currently running 2100 DPG and 62% win rate in it after 95 games. Still absolutely loathing it whereas I loved my E-50 with 207 games and 52%, which I finished a couple months ago, and did not hate my AMX 50 120 with 224 games and 58 percent over 4 days during the on-track in August. The unimpressive per-shot damage, insufficient penetration (223 to 257 is a huge difference when it comes to not-very-accurate guns).

It induced me to coin the term Chi-Ri_Jesus. It also helped in anger management in terms of not going over to Minsk and reminding WG why you get peasant rebellions if you anger them enough.

On the other hand, it still beats the Indien-Panzer, which is a testament to the fact that things made specifically for India's use (Vickers MBT for example) are far worse than things made in India for export, which in turn are worse than Made In China. For some freakish reason though my Indien gets something like 65% win rate. God I hate that piece of shit...

I'm less than 20k from the Bat now, and though I had a poor time with this tank when I first started playing it, I've actually rather enjoyed it since.  I absolutely love the speed and the ability to relocate around the map so fast.  It's camo rating is decent, and you can't argue with 1800 clip potential.  The most important thing I can say I've learned from playing this and the 50 120 is conserving your health at the early stages of the game.  You simply cannot carry a game in the later stages if you're on low health.  Your health pool is your best friend later in the game because your armor certainly isn't.

My only problem with the Lorraine is that it doesn't feel as potent as it was when it was tier VIII. The older lorry seemed to be faster and more maneuverable.

Or maybe I was just terrible at the game.

The tank is not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I'm halfway through the grind to the BatChat and currently around a 60% win rate. However, it doesn't do anything that the T54 or E50 could do better. It's a meh tier 9, but not total crap. Needs a serious aim time buff.

Got the M badge in the third game.

People, this tank has wn8 potential of an elc, and it plays just as weird to get there. If one knows how to drive it, and if one can drive it like that. Its not the worst tier 9 its one of the best in tier9.

Speed,burst and vision. Isnt that what any unicum wants? I do, and i will pad the wn8 for 200.000xp long. Its so much fun, as its just an improved 50/100 with a +1 MM, how can it be bad?

I found this tank to be much better than advertized. The secret is to conserve HP and not spam the whole clip at once. I usually shoot 2-3 shots and then pull back, then reload if situation allows. I've only played ~10 games with this tank so far, so it's little early to make final judgements. 

For equipment i run V.Stab, GLD & Vents. Vents could be switched to Optics, but I think Vents support better my playstyle and approach to this tank. This tank beats T54E1 in speed, manouverability, accuracy and penetration. So I seriously think this tank is better than E1, since I wasnt expecting to bounce anything in that tank either.

Speed,burst and vision. Isnt that what any unicum wants? I do, and i will pad the wn8 for 200.000xp long. Its so much fun, as its just an improved 50/100 with a +1 MM, how can it be bad?

Oh yes, the WN8 farming is real, +2k damage and we're talking super unicum levels.

Nearly at the end of the Grind now and i finally did my Mastery in it: http://wotreplays.com/site/1243623#self

Lorraine is the ultimate ant-carry tank. You are highly Team/Platoon-dependent! So prepare yourself some Mates if you want to grind this.

I'm about 30k away from unlocking this.  Prepare me for what to expect for the last remaining obstacle to my BatChat.  I know it has a bad rep, but I some people here with some praise for it.

Don't currently have the top gun unlocked since I haven't played the 50 100, but I should have enough free XP to get it straight away.

I'm about 30k away from unlocking this.  Prepare me for what to expect for the last remaining obstacle to my BatChat.  I know it has a bad rep, but I some people here with some praise for it.

Don't currently have the top gun unlocked since I haven't played the 50 100, but I should have enough free XP to get it straight away.

You wouldnt wanna play Tier9 medium with  tier8 scouts gun, would you? Get the gun!

I've evolved my playstyle with the tank to a more of a sniper role from early game to midgame, after that it's usually open hunting season as you can use your excellent mobility to mop up. Health conservation is key to be able to make those trades for 1 hit taken for multiple given. Really only your longish reload can hold you back at that point.