_pip_

Getting better the Kewei way - updated 6/27

Hello!

Update 6/17: I will get this done before I leave for summer break the 1st of july. :)

After reading Kewei's article on how to get better at World Of Tanks i have decided to play 1000 games in the T-62A to see what kind of improvement I get. At the moment I have stagnated and am sort of lacking focus on what I want to do and I find that chasing new tanks all the time is increasingly frustrating. So with a background of having watched emu87 doing solopub play in tier 10 and thinking it might work as a educational journey for lesser players as well I will be doing this. 

I have a lot of high tier tanks but have not really played a lot of tier 10 games. Some of the tanks I got as a noob and the tank stats reflect this in a horrible kind of way. So the principle Kewei outlined in his article should work for me I think. I chose the T-62A because it is a good medium tank and the stats I have in it is nothing to wreck. And it is fun to play, which will help me get through this challenge.

So

Before:

192fsg.jpg

2qso2mu.png

Overall account stats:

f1laph.png

After:

2iie3cz.png

ftzyb9.png

Early conclusion:

My average damage in it has gone up to 2,4k a game. Not as much as I had hoped, but still it is a major improvement. Doing a bit over 1,1k spotting damage per game aswell. Win rate is perhaps the biggest disappointment with 52% wr. Had hoped to push this to 55%.

My time for playing has been widely inconsistent with the time period of this solo challenge. I went 1 month without playing at all, and the last 2 months I have been playing a lot. Sometimes up to 100 battles a day. My results vary in the challenge from sessions deep into superunicum territory of 4k plus WN8 to the more average lately of 2,6k WN8. I still feel that I am improving although it is in small increments. 

My average damage on my tier 10 tanks are all slowly climbing up, and I hope to push this to approximately 3k. 

Some of my other replays.

PS:

The next session after I am done with the challenge:

2rhu4nn.png

Crew and setup:

2w1zibt.png

As you can see I average slightly under 2k damage in it. But this is after the first 20 set of games. I will update this with screenshots after each session of 20 games.

Session 1:

2wgztp3.jpg

Highlights: My Mastery Badge game doing 6,3k damage. 3 games with low damage (below 1500), and 1 zero damage game. After the first 7 games I had an average of 3,4k damage and it trailed off after that. Maybe lost focus?

Session 2:

amb9j7.png

Bad session, caused by playing late at night tired. Wanted to continue on the challenge, but I guess 40 games a day in tier 10 solopub is too much. :) 

Session 3:

35jxs41.png

Better again. 2,5k average damage. Seem to be doing less errors already. :) But maybe just compared to last night. 10% better survival, performance tapers off in the last 5 games or so. 

Session 4:

2w66xa9.png

Ok session, no standout games, slightly less errors again. Some teams collapsed too early to do much. 2,4k damage. Still 7 games below 2k damage. Need to make that 5 or less. Bad map rotation. New theory: You can see if I have a good map rotation in my detected tanks numbers. I like open maps where I can get early spots and do some damage. Will check this later. 

Session 5:

ruxsad.png

Worst one yet, 9 "fail" games and still being to passive and not getting the gun in the game. 2k damage average. Highlight: 3 man scout platoon from our team suiciding into enemy base and getting killed without accomplishing much, and at the same time 2 of our top tier heavy tanks start shooting each other. Ah the weekends. 

Session 6:

25k1t1g.png

Better again, still 7 games under 2k, but had some good games again. The last 5 were markedly better and those were after a couple of glasses of wine. :) 2,4k average damage. 8 games over 3k damage. Good map rotation, Steppes twice. 

Session 7:

15n0oaq.png

Played well when I was alone in the house the first 15 games. Last 5 bad. 6 "fail" games but had a good stretch in the first 15. 2,5k average damage. Survival and damage received noticeably better. 

Session 8:

98rinc.png

Uneven steven: Tired after work, from very good games to really bad ones. Horrific win rate. Played too aggressive. 2,3k damage. 9 games under 2k. 

Session 9:

6iz3i8.png

Again a meh session: 2,4k average damage 9 games under 2k although some of them was close. Also after work. Too many errors still. :)

Session 10:

11kcoya.png

A session with lag spikes and one DC(0 damage game). Because of the bad wireless signal I have made some investments and I am now officially wired! :) 2,1k damage. Still 7 games under 2k damage. 

Session 11:

vwu9t3.png

Still inconsistent: 2,2k avg damage. 8 games under 2k. Weekend teams and horrible wr. 

Session 12:

rwt6aa.png

Another ho-hum session. 2,3k avg damage. 8 games under 2k. Highlight: Ran into unknwn one of the best players on the EU server., He has 4,3k avg damage on his object 140. :O 

Session 13:

35mlhll.png

2epu7is.png

A better session. Got several good games. 2,9k average damage. Still 8 games under 2k damage. 

Session 14:

2195tmg.png

Another average session, start of the weekend. 2,3k avg damage. 6 games under 2k. 

Session 15:

b55wy9.png

The weekend arrived: 2,3k avg. damage 8 games under 2k. 25% WR! 

Session 16:

2e5i8b4.png

The horribadness continues: 2,2k avg. damage, 10! games under 2k. Most uneven session yet. 

Session 17:

23kdp1u.png

End of weekend: 2,3k avg. damage.8 games under 2k including a 0 damage game where I spotted from the bush on Malinovka but got spotted and died early. 3K spotting damage though. 

Session 18:

24e5ht1.png

Best session yet: 2,9k avg. damage. only 4 games under 2k damage. 9 games over 3k damage. Not playing so many games helps it seems. 

Session 19:

2qbyyic.png

Of course from the best to the worst: 1,9k avg. damage. 11 games under 2k. Was playing at night tired. 

Session 20:

nx9gg9.png

2195gn9.png

Better session again: 2,4k avg. damage. But still 10 games under 2k. Got TK'ed by Drift_Shift for camping in a medium so he emptied a clip from his WT 100 into me. Ticket filed and replay sent in.

21c72md.png

Session 21:

2ibbx8j.png

Ok session. 2,3k avg. damage. 65% wr. 7 games under 2k damage still though. :P 

Session 22:

2nk3lvm.png

Good session: 2,7k avg. damage and 80% wr! 6 games under 2k damage. 

Session 23:

2v1otb6.png

Good wr continues: 2,4k avg. damage.8 games under 2k. 

Session 24:

33adhs7.png

Still ok wr: 2,4k avg. damage. Good avg. kills.8 games(again) under 2k damage. 

Session 25:

2dr9fo4.png

One game missing in the log: 3,5k damage victory 2 kills: avg. kills 1,65. 55% wr. 2,5k avg. damage. 8 games under 2k damage. 

Session 26:

30x8ll1.png

Too much derp: 2,3k average damage. 11 games under 2k. 

Session 27:

2bxgxx.png

Better: 2,6k average damage. 8 games under 2k. 

Session 28:

18ofw4.png

Best one yet: 3,2k average damage. 2,5 average kills per game! 1136 average xp. Overall good numbers. :) Only 2 games under 2k. damage and neither was full on potato.  

Session 29:

23uvtdf.png

Still a good one, except from those last 3 games that were played a couple of days later than the rest. 3k avg. damage.  

Session 30:

24vi79f.png

Back toTardville: 2,4k avg. damage and trying to force the game too much.  

Session 31:

2gwdklk.png

Better again: 2,7k avg. damage and 65% wr. 6 games under 2k.  

Session 32:

2qvz092.png

Meh session: 2,4k avg damage. 6 games under 2k.  

Session 33:

2myvnyv.png4udxcl.png

Middling again: 2,5k avg damage. 6 games under 2k.  

Session 34:

2isz1ci.png

2,4k avg. damage and 55% wr again. 10! games under 2k.  

Session 35:

xdw8k5.png

My wotstats program is not working after 8.11. Playing better again: 2,7k avg. damage and 71% wr. 

Session 36:

293y23d.png

Bad session, 8.11 and lot of pubbie-rage and technical issues made me play very bad. 

Session 37:

1671ly0.png

Better again, still missing wot statistics. It will be back again though soon. 

Session 38:

oado3b.jpg

Decent again, seem to be playing a lot less every week because of work which makes progress and maintaining level of play difficult. 

Session 39:

wh06k7.png

Lowest avg. damage yet. I am doing shorter sessions now for several reasons. 

Session 40:

2hydpih.png

Bad win rate and avg kills. 

Session 41:

33wxzyv.png

Better again: Good all round. 

Session 42:

2hyz6z9.png

Good win rate, decent all round stats. 

Session 43:

2pqm9fo.png

Good avg. damage but horribad teams. 

Session 44:

m8mbfb.png

Trend with good damage and bad teams continues. 

Session 45:

jt9j5y.png

Good winrate again. Average damage. 

Session 46:

1g24ib.png

A overall good session. 

Session 46:

au9x1u.png

Good winrate again, average damage not so much. 

Session 47:

335a749.png

Just 3 games.

Session 48:

5wz0xk.png

No wn8 because the mod fucked up the score.

Session 49:

14xjj7t.png

Good teams.

Session 50:

14jyolf.png

Crappy play.

Session 51:

2m3i77k.png

Session 52:

2evbv2e.png

Session 53:

21mgduv.png

Man the teams...

Session 54:

16igwpk.png

Cat jumped on reset button at the end of the first match, which was an epic 6,3 damage win. Rest of session was crap.

Session 55:

2j1n24p.png

Final session:

2vv7rdh.png

Finally done! Last day was 10+15 games. Teams were really not that good and lots of good toons on the other sides.

Here's what I recommend: 

Play 100 games in a T8 tank, track your stats.

Play 200-500 games in a T10 tank.

Play 100 games in the T8 tank (including some warm-up games), track your stats not including the warmup games. 

You should see a marked improvement in the second set of stats. 

I'm considering doing this with the T110E5.  It was my first 10 and the only one I've really played.  My stats are already garbage in it so I won't be ruining anything.

I'll be interested to see how this works out.

Here's what I recommend: 

Play 100 games in the T8 tank (including some warm-up games), track your stats not including the warmup games. 

I like this.  Very good model. 

Kewei if the goal is strickly improvement what do you think about self-limiting gold rounds to 1/4 or less of total rounds?  Effectively allowing you the ability to still work over late situations and the few nearly unpenatrable weak spot tanks that are out there.   I would think that, as an improvement exercise, forcing you to be more consience of weak spots and forcing you to get into positions to take advantage of weak spots would go a long way towards improvement.

When you step out of this learning mode and back into 'normal' stat building mode, assuming normal mean carrying significantly more gold rounds, you will likely still apply the lessons learned from being forced to rely on lesser pen to get the job done.  Conversely not using gold rounds will likely reduce the amount of time you get to spend in each battle as you are likely going to die more frequently.

I like this.  Very good model. 

Kewei if the goal is strickly improvement what do you think about self-limiting gold rounds to 1/4 or less of total rounds?  Effectively allowing you the ability to still work over late situations and the few nearly unpenatrable weak spot tanks that are out there.   I would think that, as an improvement exercise, forcing you to be more consience of weak spots and forcing you to get into positions to take advantage of weak spots would go a long way towards improvement.

When you step out of this learning mode and back into 'normal' stat building mode, assuming normal mean carrying significantly more gold rounds, you will likely still apply the lessons learned from being forced to rely on lesser pen to get the job done.  Conversely not using gold rounds will likely reduce the amount of time you get to spend in each battle as you are likely going to die more frequently.

Well, directly I don't think there would be any major direct improvement, because once you switch back to gold... yah. 

But the indirect improvement? It forces you to find better locations to shoot at their sides and rear, and forces you to flank as well, which is an invaluable set of skills in medium/fast tanks. 

Here's what I recommend: 

When you say "a" do you mean the same tank for 100 battles?

When you say "100 games" and "200-500 games" do you mean in a row with no other tanks being played? Can I play a premium to replenish my silver during the T10 run?

Should the T10 tank and the T8 tank be of the same variety? TD, Med, Heavy, etc. I am assuming lights and arty don't apply to this method.

I'm not sure if I should powergrind to the T-62a (or object 140), IS-7, or IS-4...

I am at approximately the same place on all of them, my KV-3 is the most behind because I haven't played it and refuse to play it stock.  My IS I am about to unlock the top engine and haven't unlocked the top gun yet, I still have the KV-1S gun.  My T-43 is elite.  Which one should I do?  I can't decide.

Ok.  So the T-62A is not overpowered?  I'm asking these questions because I don't know, I have read much, but I haven't gotten very high into tiers, I just started with tier 7s a few weeks ago.  Seems to me the T-54 is overpowered with HEAT, from what I've heard.

I don't believe in the kewei method, I think the single fastest way to improve is to shadow someone good.  Then you go off on your own and refine what you learned to what works best for you.

Ok.  So the T-62A is not overpowered?  I'm asking these questions because I don't know, I have read much, but I haven't gotten very high into tiers, I just started with tier 7s a few weeks ago.  Seems to me the T-54 is overpowered with HEAT, from what I've heard.

No it isnt.

Pip,

What program are you getting this image from?

I like that it shows you the number of victories needed to get to the next percentage.

f1laph.png

It is a mod included in the modpack I am using. Don't know if it is a XVM config or something else, maybe some of the other guys here know? If u go here you can download the modpack installer that I use from Odem Mortis a European Clan. It is neat because it lets u customize your own modpack, saves a lot of work. emu87 did use the same one in his latest streams. 

It is a mod included in the modpack I am using. Don't know if it is a XVM config or something else, maybe some of the other guys here know? If u go here you can download the modpack installer that I use from Odem Mortis a European Clan. It is neat because it lets u customize your own modpack, saves a lot of work. emu87 did use the same one in his latest streams. 

pretty certain it's part of xvm.

You can always take a break to seal-club or farm credits in premiums for a dozen battles.

Also, don't worry about the details, as long as you stick in T10 with not-so-blatantly overpowered tanks, you'll be improving. 

So for your method, do you have to stick to one T10? I've honest to God, never played one tank over and over. I've always either played all my tanks by tier working up, or play tanks I like randomly, but rarely back to back games in the same tank. 

The only times I've played a tank back to back was platooned, and I don't platoon much. 

I was planning on playing these tanks, M60, T57, T110E5, Leo1, VK7201, Object 140, T62A, and IS-4. Also was still going to run tanks I'm still grinding and my t7 and 8 premiums. 

Should I chop this list down?

Usually when you play one tank you get used to it. Thats why Ive always found it harder to play multiple tanks in a session, rather then just one.

Thats why I often try to clip somebody in an AMX 50 100 (Terrible idea) after playing my T57 :D

K, tanks!  T-54 at T-62A, here I come!

I might change my mind to the object 140 later on tho.

Of course you could be hardcore and play the T-54 with AP only, even then its a perfectly good tank.

Usually when you play one tank you get used to it. Thats why Ive always found it harder to play multiple tanks in a session, rather then just one.

Thats why I often try to clip somebody in an AMX 50 100 (Terrible idea) after playing my T57 :D

Of course you could be hardcore and play the T-54 with AP only, even then its a perfectly good tank.

I did the hardcore thing for about 70 games. It was quite insightful, actually.

So, how's it going. 

It is still difficult for me to have fewer games than 7/20 under 2k damage. I see improvements though but it is like 2 step forwards and 1 step back. And my focus on making less mistakes is possibly not good for my winrate. :)

Had a session of 20 games where I averaged 2,9k damage which is quite good for me in the T-62A. More common is between 2,2 and 2,6k damage. All the games is in the first post if you are interested. 1/3 of the way to 1000 games soon. The teams though... especially in the weekends, horrible.

The T-54 absolutely is, the T-62A is good but balanced among it's peers.