Sign in to follow this  
Pitch_Black

The Right Rounds-A Collection

12k matches and I'm still soaking in the data, but I'm tired of digging for it.

I'd really like some of the Unicums and seasoned drivers to put their weapon load %'s, and then what they fire it at?

For example...I've been loving my JP2 lately and I get sucked into a lot of T10s with it; I often think I'm firing the wrong rounds at the wrong vehicle. I primarily load (in %'s) 70/30, so I'm trying to find the load out that fits the most tiers.

So how about some HABU (hook a brother up)?

Edited by Pitch_Black

Doesnt the JP II have ~245 mm AP pen?  :O

I have the suspicion that in this case, its more about when to shot where, instead of what ammo to shot.

Aye Folter.

It's a balancing act in the JPII, and one I can mostly live with. Although it is frustrating to load for a T8, and then get dumped into a T10. What I shoot at a T-44 is different than what I'd shoot at a T30.

What is your preferred tank right now? What do you load and what do you shoot at what?

Doesnt the JP II have ~245 mm AP pen?   :O

I have the suspicion that in this case, its more about when to shot where, instead of what ammo to shot.

246. AP is usually sufficient in tier 8/9 battles. At tier 10 you sometimes have to fire gold, e.g. weak spots are hidden/can't be hit reliably, T110E3s, etc. I think at tier 10, the only tank where 246 pen is insufficient is the e3 (maybe the IS-4?), just because the frontal weak spots with less armor than that are so small.

You also have to keep in mind that the min pen roll is around 184. If you have to pen your shot and 184 isn't enough, then you should fire gold. This is the most important function of gold rounds in this tank, imo.

I run 18/10/2 but almost never fire gold outside of tier 10.

246. AP is usually sufficient in tier 8/9 battles. At tier 10 you sometimes have to fire gold, e.g. weak spots are hidden/can't be hit reliably, T110E3s, etc. I think at tier 10, the only tank where 246 pen is insufficient is the e3 (maybe the IS-4?), just because the frontal weak spots with less armor than that are so small.

You also have to keep in mind that the min pen roll is around 184. If you have to pen your shot and 184 isn't enough, then you should fire gold. This is the most important function of gold rounds in this tank, imo.

Good input Spencer, thanks.

Whats your favorite daily driver lately and what are you loading?

I dont have a favorite tank ... I m mostly playing higher tiers solo - see my avg tier

u can watch these replays

aside from that, I highly recommend that you go in a training room maybe once a week with a friend and shoot at tanks you have problems penetrating. Use mainly AP rounds for that, because you wont learn much, if you train with Prem, beside how to waste credits.

After every battle where you had problems penetrating an oponent, open a textdocument and write down your tank/gun, enemy/~angle and distance - safe it. Or even better look at a replay and make screenshots of that situation.

In training you reenact that situation -  shorten the distance to 30 - 100m for target practice. If you achieve >9/10 pens on short distance  after finding the right spot for pen with AP you know where to shot even on long distance. You can also test with prem rounds, but thats not that important if you have a AP pen of 220mm+.

edit:

dont forget the turret roofs ... if you sit in a tank with a high caliber gun (90mm+) - you will be suprised (IS-3/4, Ferdi ...)

Whats your favorite daily driver lately and what are you loading?

I've been playing a lot of the t7 JP lately because a beginner friend of mine is grinding through the Pz. Sfl. V. I run 26/12/2 in that. You need to be quite liberal with gold against certain tier 8/9 tanks (e.g. kv-4, e-75, m103 depending on the angles available). The accuracy and the aim time really allow you to hit weak spots as long as they aren't too far away.

Also playing a bit of the obj 268. 23/10/2 on that one. The AP round on that is more than enough for almost everything; the high arc of the shell also negates some of the sloping on most tanks. The e3 and the t95 account for most of my heat usage. Absurdly OP.

I dont have a favorite tank ... I m mostly playing higher tiers solo - see my avg tier

u can watch these replays

aside from that, I highly recommend that you go in a training room maybe once a week with a friend and shoot at tanks you have problems penetrating. Use mainly AP rounds for that, because you wont learn much, if you train with Prem, beside how to waste credits.

After every battle where you had problems penetrating an oponent, open a textdocument and write down your tank/gun, enemy/~angle and distance - safe it. Or even better look at a replay and make screenshots of that situation.

In training you reenact that situation -  shorten the distance to 30 - 100m for target practice. If you achieve >9/10 pens on short distance  after finding the right spot for pen with AP you know where to shot even on long distance. You can also test with prem rounds, but thats not that important if you have a AP pen of 220mm+.

edit:

dont forget the turret roofs ... if you sit in a tank with a high caliber gun (90mm+) - you will be suprised (IS-3/4, Ferdi ...)

Good shit Folter! Nice idea I never thought of, and I'm probably not the only one.

OBTW... I watched your IS-7 replay, and the gun performed much better than I've read.

Edited by Pitch_Black

I'm pretty close to that with 20/8/2 ... like it was said I usually will hold a shot and wait for an opening on a weakspot.  If I must and turret is all there is ... then yes gold, but I usually dont need it 80% of the time

OBTW... I watched your IS-7 replay, and the gun performed much better than I've read.

The only tank I m using this otherwise useless setup - because of the horribly gun handling

unbenannt98kgs.jpg

The only tank I m using this otherwise useless setup - because of the horribly gun handling

unbenannt98kgs.jpg

I'll reference this once I finish the IS-8. The bloom on your IS-7 replay is not any where as bad as people have made it sound. I couldn't believe the amount of shots that bounced off that machine.

OBTW I watched your 50M replay, and picked up a ton of useful positioning for the Abbey that at 12k battles; was COMPLETELY unaware of. Thanks for HABU!

I'll reference this once I finish the IS-8. The bloom on your IS-7 replay is not any where as bad as people have made it sound. I couldn't believe the amount of shots that bounced off that machine.

OBTW I watched your 50M replay, and picked up a ton of useful positioning for the Abbey that at 12k battles; was COMPLETELY unaware of. Thanks for HABU!

I also use vents vs and rammer with large rep kit, Large extinguisher and Extra rations. 10.53 reload + acceptable gun bloom/aim time. I have 4.8 skills in it although so your experience may vary

I think your 70 30 split is proper. Loading 1-2 High explosives is a good idea also.

Ignore all the people who say your pen is sufficeint to pen anything, obviously it is.  Its also about frequency, need for quick unaimed shots,

distance, and shot placement availibility.

If you have a long range shot at a t95 sitting in the open you will want gold.

If the game is on the line vs targets that you could bounce their turet and wont with gold, you load gold.

You should start out with gold if the initial set of enemy tanks has 4 or more hard pen targets. (e100's, Maus, t95, foch 155, E3, ete. )

IMHO

I think your 70 30 split is proper. Loading 1-2 High explosives is a good idea also.

Ignore all the people who say your pen is sufficeint to pen anything, obviously it is.  Its also about frequency, need for quick unaimed shots,

distance, and shot placement availibility.

If you have a long range shot at a t95 sitting in the open you will want gold.

If the game is on the line vs targets that you could bounce their turet and wont with gold, you load gold.

You should start out with gold if the initial set of enemy tanks has 4 or more hard pen targets. (e100's, Maus, t95, foch 155, E3, ete. )

IMHO

Top notch advice brother.

I usually carry 5 gold rounds per tank, with the expcetion of T-54, where I have 15. And up to 5 HE, depending on ammo capacity. In the last months I am a bit surprised by large amount of high tier TDs firing gold. Most notable WT E-100, why do they need to load gold with pen of 275? Do they want to kill 2 tanks in a row? Or JgPII firing gold in tier 8 battle.

Only APCR -. HEAT is usually as slow as HE

That ends up factoring into which shells you really want to use in some cases, particularly with the tier 10 mediums that have APCR and HEAT.

Most people end up learning through experience which sort of shell they want to used when aiming for which weak spots on various tanks.   I like putting HEAT through the roof of E-75's.    =D

I drive most tanks without any premshells. Notable exceptions are

T-54 (very low pen for T9: 10 premrounds)

T-62 (for the situations when you HAVE to pen some ht from the front: 10 premrounds)

T57 Heavy (one 

All other tanks I drive completely standard ammo (including E25, Bchat, T69, all other T8 and lower tanks)

I usually carry 5 gold rounds per tank, with the expcetion of T-54, where I have 15. And up to 5 HE, depending on ammo capacity. In the last months I am a bit surprised by large amount of high tier TDs firing gold. Most notable WT E-100, why do they need to load gold with pen of 275? Do they want to kill 2 tanks in a row? Or JgPII firing gold in tier 8 battle.

12.8cm L/61 APCR misses out being the fastest round in the game only by 32 m/s (100mm APCR on Soviet tier 10s). It travels at 1.5km/s, meaning from the moment you fire it only takes 0.33-0.47 seconds to hit maximum render range.

It's really hard to miss when a shot is moving that fast.

A lot depends on the tank, the gun and the competition. At any tier the more prem you can shoot the more you will penetrate, the more damage you will do and the more games you win because with prem very few tanks can avoid taking damage if you aim and connect your shots with prem. Also prem helps with not getting annihilated by retarded rng rolls. Heat can be tricky at times but apcr is foolproof imho.

If you use prem account you can carry a lot more prem than you think. Without prem account you will lose money quickly. Generally with prem acc you can afford to run 50/50 or at least 70/30 in any tank but without prem account it only takes like 5 prem ammo per match to lose all income from that tank. At higher tiers it is a bit different than at lower tiers though. At higher tiers shooting prem can avoid you getting expensive repair bills. It is just stupid to lose 1vs1 for example if the other player loads prem but you don't.

Generally there are only economical reasons why not shoot prem. If you can't pen with ap then press 2 twice and then you can pen. If you play to win then buy prem account and shoot as much as you want. Otherwise I'd limit the use of prem so that at tier 5 you only shoot if it guarantees a win. At tier 10 I'd switch to prem everytime I couldn't pen otherwise because repairs cost more than the ammo.

Whatever you do don't do what jingles is doing. He either doesn't load prem at all or shoots all the prem he has early in the game. Learn to switch between ammo types based on expected results. Learn to watch what ammo you are using atm. Always carry some prem. At the start of the battle choose your first ammo based on what you think you will meet and shoot first.