Ok guys, I know sweet fuck all about the technical side of computers. Which given how much time I spend on them is pretty pathetic.Anyway, moving on.

The last 3 years I've been using shit-heap laptops that doubled as my uni and gaming pc's. They weren't great. Now I has full-time employment and money to actually buy something that is not a shit-heap. This is where you guys come in.

I'm looking for something that can run some performance intensive games (Star Citizen) and maybe even World of Tanks on settings above absolute minimum. I'm budgeting around $2,000AUD, should I look to build one or is there a rig that you guys would recommend?

I built my own (dead easy with YouTube vids) and it only cost $700and plays modern games on full settings with good fps so $2000 should get you a great unit.

As to components I'll let someone else give advice.

Things like motherboard and ram aren't overally important so money can be saved on these but you'll want a good CPU like an Intel i7, a SSD to load your operating system and key programs on and are good GPU like a GTX 760 

Here is the list of stuff I will probably end up ordering for my build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2B0gg

1500$ 

It would run any game maxed out.  But double check with multiple people because, everyone says X is better then Y lol...

For the build I could choose either the Asrock or Gigabyte motherboards...it's a flip of a coin. Both "Z87 family"

Do you have a good 24+" monitor for 1080p?  And a good keyboard+gaming mouse already?

Yeah I figure when you get to a certain level of performance it becomes a matter of preference as to which is better.

1500$ 

It would run any game maxed out.  But double check with multiple people because, everyone says X is better then Y lol...

For the build I could choose either the Asrock or Gigabyte motherboards...it's a flip of a coin. Both "Z87 family"

Do you have a good 24+" monitor for 1080p?  And a good keyboard+gaming mouse already?

No, I would be getting absolutely everything. The only thing I have is the desk.

I can upload a picture of my current gaming set-up to give you an idea of what I currently have if you would like a laugh?

No, I would be getting absolutely everything. The only thing I have is the desk.

I can upload a picture of my current gaming set-up to give you an idea of what I currently have if you would like a laugh?

wl7j.jpg

Is it worse/better than this?(courtesy to punishersal)

Note the wearing out of the desk where my left foot would be located (there was another table for the right foot and mouse). The two tables would be next to my bed which I use as a chair as we didn't have any room in our unit. I know you're jealous...

uulVnHU.jpg

hmm. im unsure how highish you want. But, I think 2 grand AUS should be enough to get a good rig.

Suggestions I could offer you:

a CPU that is Quad Core at least, with at least 3GHz processor speed. 3.5 would be better. bigger the better. if you can afford this is a good thing to upgrade first.

at least 8GB DDR3 RAM. for a gaming PC 16GB also wouldnt hurt. I would class this secondary to upgrade if you have spare cash.

a GTX 760 or better is a good GFX card. Im unsure about AMD equivilents, but a 760 should be alright. upgrade this again if you can afford it. (my friend has a 770ti and can run all games he's played so far max at 60fps at least, including BF4, Splinter cell Blacklist, War thunder doesn't drop below 100) 

make sure you get a good Motherboard as well. including lots of cooling. 

refer to others for more specific advice.

wl7j.jpg

What is the videocard doing plugged in to a laptop? Or what is this at all? :)

Will you order everything online or do you have a chance to buy some stuff in a shop?

Could you provide us some links to australian online shops or your local version of newegg, amazon or whatever you are using down under?

1500$ 

I build all my own and this is a good build with good components. Well done BeLiAL124. That CPU just went cheaper on Newegg for the next day or two.

Atreides, buy the best monitor you can with what's left over. 

I'll chime in here because I just recently built my first rig.   In fact, the motivation came from the "Post your rig" thread here on Wotlabs.   I'd been playing WoT on a six year old Dell consumer PC with a $150 USD GPU and realized that I could build my own.   And you know what?  It was totally easy and totally worth it.

First tip, check out pcpartpicker, which is a super-handy site that helps you pick components.   In fact, here is a link to the build I ended up with (more or less).  

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/jlk_250/saved/385F

Some things like RAM were on sale when I bought them so I would chose something else today--it tracks prices from all the common component supply sources so it's easy to pick the best deal.   Also, I put in some unnecessary stuff that makes it look more expensive than it should (8GB RAM is plenty and the second SSD isn't even being used ATM.    

What I like is how it boots up so quickly, how beautiful the 2560x1440 monitor looks, and how cool it runs.  It is overclocked to 4.1GHz right now and the CPU still doesn't exceed 50C, which is barely even warm by overclocked CPU standards.   Lots of room to go!  My monitor (which is actually an X-Star bought on ebay, not a QNIX) is overclocked to 110Hz, too.   Building it was super easy and it is not buggy or flaky in the least.  Go for it!

Will you order everything online or do you have a chance to buy some stuff in a shop?

Could you provide us some links to australian online shops or your local version of newegg, amazon or whatever you are using down under?

Everything will be online I'd say as it is easier than driving two hours for stuff I want.

At this stage, I haven't been able to find one site that has everything I need though. Giving strong thought to more or less using a lot of BeLiaL's suggestion.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/11/ars-technica-system-guide-november-2013/

There's quite a few guides around, but even a budget build will do fine in WoT.  This way you can get a good idea of what parts are decent to buy in a budget range. (Careful with Motherboards/CPUs make sure that they are compatible).  BUt this way you can get some ideas of what you can get for your (down under) dollar.

You can mix and match budget/perf as well.  But $2k Aus (I guess its close to 1:1 with US) should get you a lot of machine.  The "Hot Rod" guide comes in at $1400-$1600 US and will run most anything unless you go for max settings and 90fps.  It will be better than 99.9% of comptuers out there and I like to take my left over money and spend it on guns rather than eek out that last 0.1%. 

Start with the monitor and work backwards. The new 4K monitors will cripple most mainstream cards, and the reviews seem to lean towards R9 Crossfire configurations for that resolution. Dropping down to 27" 2560x1440 means you can drop down to a single high-end card. Choosing the cards leads to the needed power supply and so forth. (Never give me a $2000 budget, I will spend it.)

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/11/01/amd_radeon_r9_290x_crossfire_video_card_review/7#.UtXAtfRDv5w

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/11/11/geforce_gtx_780_ti_vs_radeon_r9_290x_4k_gaming/#.UtXAifRDv5w

This site is a reallllly good reference for build prices listed from destitute to MONSTROUS!

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

It should give you a really good idea for what you get at the different price ranges.

My build would be a full tower, your is whatever suits you..mid towers work too.  But I HATE working in small areas trying to connect shit.

So figure either 50-100$ for a mid tower and 100-200$ for a full.

I have Samsung 24" 1980x1080 monitor and a regular HP keyboard that works fine.  And for a mouse I have a Razer Deathadder and it's sweet. (they sell them at walmart and bestbuy)

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-deathadder

a good monitor and mouse  

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-S24B150BL-23-6-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00BJ744F0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1389754121&sr=8-2&keywords=samsung+syncmaster+2494

My monitor^

So allow 200-300$ for mouse and display.  Which with a 2k$ budget you can get the Exceptional build on logical elements  :thumbup:

My build was mixing and matching the exceptional build and the outstanding ones...but for motherboards I hear gigabytes are the most reliable.

This site is a reallllly good reference for build prices listed from destitute to MONSTROUS!

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

It should give you a really good idea for what you get at the different price ranges.

My build would be a full tower, your is whatever suits you..mid towers work too.  But I HATE working in small areas trying to connect shit.

So figure either 50-100$ for a mid tower and 100-200$ for a full.

I have Samsung 24" 1980x1080 monitor and a regular HP keyboard that works fine.  And for a mouse I have a Razer Deathadder and it's sweet. (they sell them at walmart and bestbuy)

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-deathadder

a good monitor and mouse  

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-S24B150BL-23-6-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00BJ744F0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1389754121&sr=8-2&keywords=samsung+syncmaster+2494

My monitor^

So allow 200-300$ for mouse and display.  Which with a 2k$ budget you can get the Exceptional build on logical elements  :thumbup:

My build was mixing and matching the exceptional build and the outstanding ones...but for motherboards I hear gigabytes are the most reliable.

That is an excellent table. Yeah I have some disposable income at the moment. Hence the flexible budget.

I actually prefer smaller mouses, my brother and my old housemate had gaming mouses and I found them to be to clumsy as they tried to fit everything in.

That is an excellent table. Yeah I have some disposable income at the moment. Hence the flexible budget.

I actually prefer smaller mouses, my brother and my old housemate had gaming mouses and I found them to be to clumsy as they tried to fit everything in.

The deathadder isn't very big and only has 5 programmable buttons..the 2 on the left side you use with you thumb are the only extra from a normal mouse.

Macroing a quick fix of your track is great...and it's simple.  Or making a button that when you click once it thinks you did 10 times.  Fast fire off a clip in a 1st person shooter.

The deathadder isn't very big and only has 5 programmable buttons..the 2 on the left side you use with you thumb are the only extra from a normal mouse.

Macroing a quick fix of your track is great...and it's simple.  Or making a button that when you click once it thinks you did 10 times.  Fast fire off a clip in a 1st person shooter.

If you are gonna buy the Deathadder or any Razer for the record, just dont use the new Synapse driver as the mouse will lag whenever the connection to the Razer server is unstable. o.O

Works fine with the old drivers tho.

Pro tip 1: go with AMD if you are not looking for the very best rig money can buy

Pro tip 2: dont buy the best parts you can get, aim for parts that are better than best buy at that moment but not the best

Pro tip 3: spend most of the budget for: MBO, CPU, RAM, GPU and power supply Those are parts that matter most to gamer.

pro tip 4: spend average on: monitor, mouse, HDD and headset

pro tip 5: spend the least on keyboard, case, CD/DVD

CPU tip: no more than 4 cores, look for good overclocking potential, forget about stock cooler and heat sink replace that ASAP,

RAM tip: speed > size

GPU tip: should be the most expensive part in your rig, also dont go for brute force, get cards that are quieter and cooler than their base versions

MBO tip: fancy stuff like multiple pci-e 16x and 8 slots for ram is pointless money sink unless you really plan to upgrade A LOT in the future. also look for good OC/BIOS features.

I flowed those rules when i made my rig 2.5 years ago, still runs really really good and i had a budget smaller than yours.

Meh, spend good money on the monitor.  It's the only thing you will buy today and probably still use 15 years from now.

Case in point; this message is written on a 15-year-old 20" CRT which still has a gorgeous picture.  (Note: monitor #4, IGPs are useful even to a gamer...)

For 800$ or 700$ you can build a PC that can run BF4 on High settings.

Basic Case

Good Motherboard

I7 CPU

8-16Go RAM

GTX

A Power Supply that can support your stuff above.

the rest is yours.

1238065_634887329876958_39575822_n_zps54

No need to get a fancy case.

Pro tip 1: Look hard at AMD or lower Intel Parts if you are not looking for the very best rig money can buy

Pro tip 2: dont buy the best parts you can get, aim for parts that are better than best bang for the buck

Pro tip 3: spend most of the budget for: GPU,CPU,MOBO,power supply, Mem (in that order generally) Those are parts that matter most to gamer.

pro tip 4: spend average on: monitor, mouse, HDD and headset

pro tip 5: spend the least on keyboard, case, CD/DVD

CPU tip: no more than 4 cores, look for good overclocking potential, forget about stock cooler and heat sink replace that ASAP,

RAM tip: speed > size (but don't overdo it on speed)

GPU tip: should be the most expensive part in your rig, also dont go for brute force, get cards that are quieter and cooler than their base versions

MBO tip: fancy stuff like multiple pci-e 16x and 8 slots for ram is pointless money sink unless you really plan to upgrade A LOT in the future. also look for good OC/BIOS features.

I flowed those rules when i made my rig 2.5 years ago, still runs really really good and i had a budget smaller than yours.

Modified those a bit.  I have no bag against AMD or overclocking, but if you aren't into that no sense spending money (even if its just $20), it used to be AMD>INtel many moons ago. AMD fell off the wagon and it really depends on the business cycle of who has better stuff.

Bottom line get the best VALUE for you money.  I use the following rule of thumb and while I do break it at will, it is a nice guideline:

GPU: up to $250

CPU: $200

Mobo:$125

HD: $120 (I like to splurge on raid arrays--so $100 is just fine) (I only purchase WD or Hitachi out of spite)

Mem $100

PSU $50-75 (Get a solid brand, do NOT just go for pure Power)

Floppy $10 (always have a floppy fools!!)

CD/DVD $25

--Generally these parts get replaced out of cycle--as in I use what I already have:

Keyboard (have) $50

Mouse (have) $25-50

Monitor (have) $200-400

Once I get that budget, I go look at hardware test sites and see what different vid cards and CPU can do.  I try and get the max value based on my budget.  Last 2 cycles (mine last 2-3 years) it has been Intel, before that it was AMD (4 cycles?) and that included the time I worked for Intel =D  (Yes I worked at Intel on the Pentium series and used AMD in my computers, its my money). The trick is to find that "Sweet Spot" of performance versus value and I've found that the above has served me well.  Sometimes I go a little more depending on the cycle and what available, but I start with that budget and work from there.  I have no brand loyalty--whoever gives me bang for the buck.