canadiantrex

Mechwarrior Online

So I've loved Battletech and Mechwarrior basically forever. Spent about 7 months playing the shit out of Mechwarrior Online's beta before I got into WoT.

Figured I'd update MWO today and see what was going on in the game. I see the Clan invasion is announced for later this year, alright sweet.

Click the link in the client updater, I see this: http://mwomercs.com/clans#page1

Eh, a little pricey, but that's a shit ton of premium time and mechs for those bundles.

I see a "Gold" button, I click it.... uh... da fuck? No really, DA FUCK? OH GOD WHY??? KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!!!

My jimmies are severely rustled and I am sad panda now. :#:sad::#:sad::#:sad::#

When I tried MWO it was terrible. 

The mechlab ran in a window for literally no reason at all, and the front page of the game, not the launcher but the actual game, was a whole screen of begging you to buy shit with all the game-functional stuff obfuscated as hard as possible.

And it wasn't even much fun when you did launch into a game.

Lasted one match then got uninstalled in disgust.

It's common knowledge that MWO turned into a shitty game quite a while ago.

Last time I played was probably in April or June of last year. I liked it at the time because A) battletech and B) at the time they seemed to be going the route of selling XP conversions and decorative items.

Does a $500 gold paint job count as decorative item or just Chinese WoT server level of douchebaggery? =-

I had high hopes for MWO, I've been a massive Battletech fan for as long as I can remember (just in case my screen name didn't tip you off). I lost I don't know how many hours into the various books and video games over the years. The closed beta was rough but had promise, so I bought a founder's pack and got a special Catapult, one of my most beloved mechs.

Then everything else happened. I don't think I've played in four or five months.

When I played Planetside things like billboards and BFRs made me think "There's no way I'll find a company worse than SOE." Then I picked up Eve, things like boot.ini and Monoclegate/Summer of Rage made me think "There's no way I'll find a company worse than CCP". Then I picked up Tanks and all the shit Wargaming has done made me think "There's no way I can find a company worse than Wargaming".

Then I started playing MWO and PGI proved me wrong once again.

MWO will be releasing UI 2.0 on February 4th. It's supposedly been a road block for many of the improvements they've had planned for the game. I'm guessing we'll just have a cleaner mech lab on the 4th, and the content that has been held up will be introduced over the next several months. Anyway, I just wanted to point that out for those of you who may want to see if the upcoming changes improve the game for you.  

I still play MWO and have lots of fun customizing my mech and blowing things up. There isn't a lot of depth to the game yet, but it's a good game to play when I want to take a break from tanks. 

There isn't a lot of depth to the game yet, but it's a good game to play when I want to take a break from tanks. 

This. I haven't played for ~ 2 Months now but it still beats WoWP by far.

Really wanted this game to be not shit.  Instead it's a fucking waste of electricity.

I'm glad I only spent ~$50 on the game during the preorder phase.  Almost ought the $100+ package. 

Steak n' Shake franchise has a high skill floor; their CEO should give that a try when MWO finally bankrupts.

Guassapult or dual AC-20's?

plink cat

5x med

2x ac/2

High sustained dmg, annoyance platform. 0 heat problems. Run 300XL

Gasspault = easy kaboom with XL (it needs XL)

Dual AC20s not worth the weight. (plus easy leg kaboom)

As someone who played tabletop Battletech in the 90s and Mechwarrior 2,3,4, I really wanted MWO to be good. It's made me quite sad.

I actually started playing Tanks because I thought MWO would be kind of like it. As much as your tank in WoT feels like it is interacting with the terrain, through destroying elements, and having different feels to different surfaces, Mechs in MWO feel like they are detatched from the terrain and just kinda there. I also hated the HUD, hated the feedback, hated the weapon config/firing. It's all a mess.

Agreed on the weaknesses of dual 20 cat. But I still hate having to fight one.

Aim for legs, alpha them twice GG even with Case it will blow. I only play catapaults, their isnt anywhere else you can put the ammo without messing up your builds. AC5/s give you wiggle room

ac5 spam just means i have to shadow a atlas or snipe for a bit before med lasoring in.

I can fire all 5 Mid lasers constantly.

Last I played poptarting and assault mechs toting as many PPCs as possible was the hotness. 

The game is strung along on a bunch of promises of we're adding all this cool stuff guys. Soon for real, just wait 3 years. 

I've liked mechwarrior forever, but I find the pre-clan stuff to be kind of boring. The setup in TT was a balance around economy and they tried to put it in a game where that kind of balance doesn't really work. RIP in Peace mediums, heavies do your job but better unless something has changed recently.

Last I played poptarting and assault mechs toting as many PPCs as possible was the hotness. 

The game is strung along on a bunch of promises of we're adding all this cool stuff guys. Soon for real, just wait 3 years. 

I've liked mechwarrior forever, but I find the pre-clan stuff to be kind of boring. The setup in TT was a balance around economy and they tried to put it in a game where that kind of balance doesn't really work. RIP in Peace mediums, heavies do your job but better unless something has changed recently.

The meta game is a lot different than it was during the poptarting era. There are some really diverse load outs currently being run. The devs have also stated that they are now going to depart from TT when necessary.

I realize they are not following TT now. Though with the clan release there's no way they could I think. I just wish they had skipped the invasion and started with the Fedcom civil war, tech was available to everyone and balanced more or less. Medium mechs became high speed strikers rather than budget garrison vehicles. And I'd be stomping around in Bushwhacker with a company trying to take planets and shit, if they actually implemented that in our lifetime.

Mechwarrior 2: Mercs was fun. Especially if you go for the extra owning your own mercenary company fluff. I felt that MWO should've gone that route along with a campaign map to add flavor to a pvp game featuring 'Mechs.