Sign in to follow this  
Servios

Early Early Damage?

There are advantages and disadvantages to playing very aggressively in a pub match.

The advantage is if done correctly, you can give your team a huge advantage. The disadvantage is you can easily get yourself killed with little gain.

The problem is, most pubbies do not know how to correctly handle the advantage that you have given them. This causes your team to either be over-confident pushing into obvious killing zones or attacking the enemy one at a time due to them being uncoordinated with their teammates.

I have seen (as have everyone, I am sure) pubbies camp in the same position completely ignorant of the advantage or disadvantage their team is at.

TL;DR Being aggressive and giving your team a large advantage at the cost of your own tank is a good idea if you can pull it off and you have a decent enough team to capitalize on the advantage you are giving them.

IMO this can really depends on the other team's composition and who/what you deal that damage to.

If you just managed to kill a couple of thier bad players but you left their 60% guys untouched, those guys will probably pull through and secure the win, as you are not around to oppose them. On the other hand, if you went out there and killed Garbad early, you may well have secured a win.

Alternatively, if you are top tier, and killing a bunch of bottom tiers, it may not be as effective as killing the opposite top tiers.

It certainly wouldn't bother me if a player on my team would do that kind of damage before getting killed.  Getting killed in 85% of the battles would limit your ability to decide the outcome of the battle.  I'm not sure if leaving the end-game to crappy players like me is a good way to win alot of battles.

I think this is one of my gameplay problems. My dmg is earned over the course of a match.

the harder you yolo the harder the possible rewards

--- kappa 2014--- frankerz

What tells you if somewhere you're about to yolo will reward you or will be safe?

Exchanging your HP pool early for early dmg relys too much on your brain dead pubs to finish what you started.

No, Not viable. Unless you platoon with 2 other reliable teammates

D6 on El Halluf, basically.  Can win the game if you get there (from the south at least), but if the pubbies don't keep up, well, you're fucked.

I try to play aggressive - usually successfully in the T-54, but generally only when I'm in a platoon of 3, and I know I at least have 2 players I can count on to take advantage of the situation.

Usually its worth it... for every unsuccessful yolo, I tend to see at least 3 successful ones.

Knocking a tank out two minutes in is a lot more valuable than knocking a tank out ten minutes in. On the other hand, can you trust your pubbies to finish what you started?

When you play conservatively and lose, you'll never know if an early, high damage YOLO from you would have snowballed into a victory.

When you YOLO and lose, you get to watch your pubbies crumble knowing that you could have carried the match were you alive.

I suspect it's better for winrate not to YOLO. I know it's better for my mental health to stay alive and fight to the end.

Inversely to your skill. If I did it, it would help a lot because I am not as good as you. For your skill level, no, your HP are more valuable then mine.

I am ultra aggressive in pub matches.  So much so that I yolo at the 5min mark if nothing is happening (IE I am not shooting for a while).  There are some exceptions to this, but they are very map specific (and less tank specific).  However, I recognize this and typically play heavily armored tanks.

Regardless, damage early has not meant my team will win.  Successfully pushing a flank and then backing off to reset the base while the pubs drunkenly wander onto the enemy cap circle might win the game.

creating opportunities style > attrition style

You people that hang back sniping at things pubbies light for you have no right to go "my pubbies suck, they all died. look at all my damage and still didn't carry!"

creating opportunities style > attrition style

You people that hang back sniping at things pubbies light for you have no right to go "my pubbies suck, they all died. look at all my damage and still didn't carry!"

Just j nigga camping 400m camo sniping in a is6

I think early damage is just one component of successful aggressive play early in the game. The other component are map control, denying good positions from the enemy or allowing good positions to your own team. Then there is vision control. And some other smaller things like slowing down the enemy which can create numerical advantage for your team somewhere else on the map.

If you play aggressive early in the battle in cliff, karelia, campinovka or highway I don't think the early damage is always the most useful thing you are doing but also those other contributions that kind of play achieves make it useful. Without a doubt it is useful and you win more if you can avoid over extending and read the battle, the team and the team compositions correctly.

The problem with early damage is that it is often against potato tankers that weren't a threat anyway.  You can take out 3-4 bad tankers, die, and then your team is left with no idea how to advance against a few camping tanks.

Early damage against certain types of key tanks (mobility and vision) can be huge, but killing a few heavies that trundle out into the open is effectively meaningless.