letsgofaster

What is a carry?

I always thought that having the most damage was a carry, but I know that isn't the case now.

What is defined as a carry, and some examples?  I would like to know if some of my battles are considered a carry.

I am pretty sure it involves squeezing a certain loss into a victory.  I would like to clarify.

When one tanker (or one platoon) singlehandedly carries his team to victory. It's subjective. Five kills in a 15-0 match isn't a carry. Five kills in a match that ends 15-13 is probably a carry. If a Kolobanov medal is earned, it's definitely a carry.

A carry isn't always that. To me a carry is whenever your effort makes the difference between a win and a loss, doing high damage is just as important in helping your team win as being a great scout that keeps the entire enemy force lit.

When you/your platoon are the difference between winning and losing, rather than simply contributing.

I would say that a carry is a game where one player or platoon's effort is disproportionately higher than the rest of the team.  If you've done double the damage the next guy on your team has, or spotted a significant proportion of the team's damage, or some combination of the two, that was carrying.

Ok, thanks everyone.  I appreciate it.  I have done some small carries, like when I was in my T-43 and I was up against a low health tier 8 and a half health tier 7,  ( that tier 8 was a T69), but it wasn't anything big like a kobalanovs.

I always thought that having the most damage was a carry, but I know that isn't the case now.

What is defined as a carry, and some examples?  I would like to know if some of my battles are considered a carry.

I am pretty sure it involves squeezing a certain loss into a victory.  I would like to clarify.

~3x the dmg of the next highest highest person on your team (perhaps more or less based on # of kills). Bonus points of you have a lot of potatoes on your team or you are below highest tier.

When the player or platoons actions disproportionately contributed to the victory.

It definitely isn't just doing damage. It's doing damage at the right time against the right enemies.

Doing 5000 damage against lower tier tanks in a t10 is different than doing 5000 damage against other t10s.

Doing that damage at the end of the game because you hid near the spawn while the rest of your team died without you is different than doing that damage at a critical juncture in the battle where you singlehandedly secured the victory.

This is the definition I use: For a player to carry the team, he must have fulfilled 2 conditions:

1) His contribution to the game must have been far higher than the rest of his team.

2) Without his contribution, the team would have lost.

Contribution isn't defined just as damage done. Imagine a team that is being completely wiped out, and a lone WZ-132 manages to scout all the enemy team without firing any shots and allows what's left of his team to turn the tables. The WZ-132 carried his team on this game, even though he did pretty much no damage at all.

If a Kolobanov medal is earned, it's definitely a carry.

I got a Kolobanov's in my T71 by just capping the enemy base while everyone was on the other side of the map, I wouldn't call that a carry in any form.

I got a Kolobanov's in my T71 by just capping the enemy base while everyone was on the other side of the map, I wouldn't call that a carry in any form.

Well.. If you hadn't done that it would have 99% been a loss.

I'm going to stick with individual input here rather than platoons.

To carry, you must survive the battle. If you don't survive the battle, the outcome is undetermined at your point of death - regardless of your contribution.

In addition to surviving, your input needs to make the difference between a win and a loss.

However, it's a subjective term, and the battle results screen doesn't show carries.

A carry can be as little as being out-tiered and surviving to the end of the battle intact enough to kill a wounded higher tier.

Scouts can carry without firing a shot... Actually SCOUTING carries hard regardless of what you're scouting in. I've run out of ammo in some tanks or TDs and "carried" by spotting the rest of the enemies for my hard-hitting TD or arty allies.

To carry, you must survive the battle. If you don't survive the battle, the outcome is undetermined at your point of death - regardless of your contribution.

So the guy who did 7-9k damage in a tier 10 tank and died didn't carry just because his team managed to mop up the rest?

Noted.

So the guy who did 7-9k damage in a tier 10 tank and died didn't carry just because his team managed to mop up the rest?

Noted.

And I guess we should stop sacraficing ourselves to reset cap so our team and out-cap, too?

And I guess we should stop sacraficing ourselves to reset cap so our team and out-cap, too?

How does that have any relevance to what I just said?

If you're being capped, do your best to try to reset.

I was saying that dying won't stop you from having carried the battle. Even more so if you sacrificed yourself to score a crucial kill to ensure your team's victory.

How does that have any relevance to what I just said?

If you're being capped, do your best to try to reset.

I was saying that dying won't stop you from having carried the battle. Even more so if you sacrificed yourself to score a crucial kill to ensure your team's victory.

Uh, I was agreeing with you. Providing another example of how death doesn't exclude a carry...

Should I have used "/sarcasm" or something? Multi-quote?

Uh, I was agreeing with you. Providing another example of how death doesn't exclude a carry...

Should I have used "/sarcasm" or something? Multi-quote?

Sarcasm is hard to detect over the net sometimes :|

at Oneeechan:

Yeah, I was talking about individual play. if you do 10 kills and 10k damage and you die where there are 3 tanks left on each side, ofc that's not a carry. Even if you end up winning. Ultimately, if it's not you deciding how the battle ends up, it's not a carry  - anything could happen. You have to be alive to make sure. No survive, no carry.

The exception is platoon play, you can carry and die in a platoon, because you might do a daring thrust that ends up with your demise, but it might be to save a platoonee that helps go on and win the battle, the point is, that the platoon needs to have a survivor, but not all of the platoon.

I hope this clarifies.

All imo. But seems pretty obvious to me.

A carry is ensuring victory. if you reset cap and die in the process when otherwise you'd lose, ofc that's not carrying, thats just keeping the game alive. If you subsequently win the game, then you had a major contribution, but it wasnt a carry.

Not sure why surviving is relevant.

I've always thought of it as follows.

If you were to replace your tank by an average player who had an average game, would your team still have won the game?

This is a carry:

Team was stacked against us, red sea on our teams, green/blues on theirs.

Managed to completely outrotate the enemy by running over the map getting free side shots.

Like I would clip someone, run 400m away to the other side of tundra, clip someone else and run away before their shit can chase me.

All while talking mad shit in all chat

4nLt0My.jpg

This isn't a carry

KQylGOQ.jpg

We literally camped back of base with nig tds and clipped them 1 by 1, not very hard at all.

carry is more about the difficulty of win imo