Roadmap should be AMX 75 for tier 7 over the T71, it's a nasty lesson about depression and keeping distance in scout autoloaders.

ELC tier 5 is probably the single-most educational tank in the game, it teaches you the critical tradeoff betwee massive damage and vision control, it's tempting to fire off that massive 90mm, but it also gives your incredibly vulnerable tank's position away. It's probably the only tier 5 scout that can actually cause serious havoc against tier 9 tanks.

To get to the T69 you're gonna have to go through scouts anyway.

M7 Tier 5 is absolutely necessary for any player as well, I had a full M7 replay I would have annotated as a vision control model game, but it got corrupted. 380 vision range with 420@optics is an amazing way to learn the benefits of spotting and vision range.

- Lorraine 155/51. Lesson: Autoloading artillery

Also, the lorraine isn't an autoloader

Gudpoast, as expected from Dingbat.

My only disagreement is that i found that the real learning only starts at tier 5, previous tiers are just speed-bumps. They have too many newbies, too many terrible tanks and the crews won't be well trained, plus the grinds are very short.

At tier 5 you start having access to more options and you have proper light/medium/heavy/TD roles. And except for for the 105mm HEAT problem, the tanks are more balanced and more fun.

I don't think that tank is out yet. :O

Excellent guide though.

Pretty sure he meant the Marder II.

Roadmap should be AMX 75 for tier 7 over the T71, it's a nasty lesson about depression and keeping distance in scout autoloaders.

ELC tier 5 is probably the single-most educational tank in the game, it teaches you the critical tradeoff betwee massive damage and vision control, it's tempting to fire off that massive 90mm, but it also gives your incredibly vulnerable tank's position away. It's probably the only tier 5 scout that can actually cause serious havoc against tier 9 tanks.

To get to the T69 you're gonna have to go through scouts anyway.

M7 Tier 5 is absolutely necessary for any player as well, I had a full M7 replay I would have annotated as a vision control model game, but it got corrupted. 380 vision range with 420@optics is an amazing way to learn the benefits of spotting and vision range.

I thought about the AMX 13/75, but the reload speeds on the 13/90 are so much slower, it really requires some thought about where you can and can't go in an autoloader. 

Excellent points about the elc and M7. Will add them.

Finally: Doh! about the arty. As I said, I burned out on them in beta and haven't done my due diligence.

I agree with Ech, you should have a scout tank on there somewhere.

Lessons:

How to affect a battle without using your gun.  Mainly through vision control.

Balance between taking a shot and staying hidden.

How to use and abuse the vision system.  Becoming the invisitank.

By providing lights for other people, you will better understand how to take advantage when someone else lights for you.

i'm at almost 4k battles now and all this time i've been indecisive and had been playing only for fun. hopefully this guide will change my stats, and am working on it now. currently at tier 8 and i've found this forums only recently (and also just recently that i've got interests in game forums) :)

Wish I had seen  this years ago when i first started playing, spent too much time pissing about not giving a toss about anything except getting a bigger tank which included a bigger gun!!!

So, 12K battles on and I am Mr. Average on 51%. Still, whats done is done. No point in dwelling on the past, time to move onwards and upwards!

How long should I stick with a tier?

Do I completely grind it out and level up some skills in my crew?

As long as you're having fun! I find that 5-7 is a great spot to hang out and learn the game. Things change a bit at tier 8 and again at 10.

That said: it's been repeated many times that there's no race to the end-game here. Low tiers are limited and chaotic, so you might want out of that madness quickly. But if you're having fun, you're doing it right. Of course winning is more fun than losing, so learning the game is a great idea and conducive to this "fun" I speak of.

I play tier 5 every day. It's fun!

How long should I stick with a tier?

Do I completely grind it out and level up some skills in my crew?

Nothing wrong with sticking to a tier if you find yourself unable to improve further. It only gets harder as you progress through the tiers. I think you should ideally move up a tier when you start feeling comfortable at a tier - your stats for whatever particular tank you've elited are trending up and you seem to be doing really well every game. That means it's time for you to move up and start being bad again so you can repeat the whole process. It might take you longer to reach a Tier X, but at least you'll have much more experience under your belt once you get there.

When I first grinded I rush through tiers as much as I could, and as a result my first tier VII/VIII/IX had terrible stats. So I went back to tier 7s until I could be a dominating force every game, repeat with 8s, 9s, and now I just unlocked my first tier X and I'm doing amazing with it (by my standards). That wouldn't have happened had I just rushed through tier IX 6 months ago.

Was helpful for me understanding kind of what happens as a player goes through the tiers.  Oddly enough I'm barely playing any of your recommended, but I know what tanks I'm already going for. (IS-3, Bat-Chat, 62a, cromwell, etc).  I've been having a lot of luck playing heavier brawlers, but i hate how slow they are.  Gonna see how well I can flank and whatnot.

Is the 62a any good?  I bought the Matilda IV to train my med crews for russia so I'm hoping so.

Tiers 4-5 Recommendations:

- I would generally recommend avoiding scouts until you have a couple thousand games under your belt, they're just that hard to play well, but you should at least try one scout for a while. Maybe you're a scouting prodigy. I don't mean try the tier 5, end-game scouts. I mean the beginner scouts.

Tier 6 Recommendations:

Tank Recommendations:

- AMX12t: Lesson: Autoloaders. 

^^ possibly OP merits a note at this point that your AMX 12t is going to get scout MM and see Tier 10 battles fairly often.

Still feeling wounded by my 45% WR on this tank over the weeked.  On the plus side, if I'm seeing Tier 10 with this, then there's little reason not to upgrade to the tier 7 asap?