DingBat

Roadmap for new players

DingBat, great article I wish I had read when I started playing! It took me 5k battles till I stopped trying to get scout badges and started applying some common sense and tactics and really started enjoying the game.

This should be required reading for new tankers...if they care.

Thanks.

The rule I'm following on when to move up: Run 4-6 lines at one time, but focus on eliting one tank at a time. Once elited, focus on building to or sustaining a 50%+ win rate in it, while funding the module purchases for your next tank within the tier (getting it out of stock faster). Repeat until every line is at the same tier, elited, and at 50‰ win rate. Buy the next tier as money allows, but only move the crew over when you're starting the next tier, again one at a time. Train crews with each hop.

I've faltered on the 50% rule on some tanks (it's okay to hate a tank), but overall it works for me:

You get experience with different classes within each tier

You get much more time to learn the most dangerous tanks and the tanks that have exploitable weaknesses

You definitely learn how to tackle the tanks you've driven within tier, which builds because you've driven several below tier tanks as well.

By insisting on crew training you wind up playing elited tanks a lot longer than normal (you can elite a tier 2 in a dozen matches, a tier 3 in under 50, without premium even if it unlocks several tanks and you're a scrub newbie like myself) because you simply won't have the money.

By running multiple lines and grinding a little more on each of them you build up much more free xp to avoid stock modules. I'll get the key modules and run a few battles to get the next most important with mostly tank xp but a little free. From there I earn back most of the free xp I spent on my way to unlocking the next tier and saving uo to buy it and the crew training.

Whether this is sustainable at upper tiers I don't know, but at lower tiers money is the limiting factor much more so than xp, which is probably why people can run all the way up a single line because the game will absolutely let you breeze through early tiers even if you're derping every match.

This is absolutely unsustainable in high tiers ^^ Once you get to Tier 5, pick one or two lines you enjoy and go up those, do the rest later.

Derp, I'm proof that this isn't the case.

I've improved as I've worked my way up, and with my Premium account, I rarely lose money in a battle, and unless it was a shit session, I'm always making positive progress on credits during a period of play.

This is with running limited food/gas consumables, and without stocking up ahead of time.

Derp, I'm proof that this isn't the case.

I've improved as I've worked my way up, and with my Premium account, I rarely lose money in a battle, and unless it was a shit session, I'm always making positive progress on credits during a period of play.

This is with running limited food/gas consumables, and without stocking up ahead of time.

I've bolded the important bit -- not everyone has such nice things from the beginning :P

The sad part is the person you quoted seems to have quit :( The biggest reason I said this, is that going up multiple lines screws with (in my case) gameplay. Even now as someone who can play at a unica level, it's hard for me to switch between the correct play styles. Sure I can play at a blue level by doing this but I know, and thus grow frustrated, that I'm not playing the best I can.

I've bolded the important bit -- not everyone has such nice things from the beginning :P

The sad part is the person you quoted seems to have quit :( The biggest reason I said this, is that going up multiple lines screws with (in my case) gameplay. Even now as someone who can play at a unica level, it's hard for me to switch between the correct play styles. Sure I can play at a blue level by doing this but I know, and thus grow frustrated, that I'm not playing the best I can.

I will credit both points.  While I didn't start with Premium, I do have a healthy sustainment of it now, and it is much appreciated.

Secondly, while not claiming it as an excuse, I've seen that my chosen method of play does detract from my capability, and perhaps even lend to my inconsistency as a player.  I had the rare event of playing a specific tank for a chain of sustained battles, and my performance (while not for a statistically significant number) was more consistent and higher than normal.

However, I want my shinies of Tank Engineer, and that's best benefited by playing for dailies, on as many tanks as I can afford to house.

Mebbe I'll drop to favorite tanks, or do single tank marathons, once I do get all lines ground... I'm making way on WG's pace of adding tanks!

Looking back at my first ~3k games (I was god awful), I have two pieces of advice.

Stay away from non-turreted tank destroyers. To be successful in TD's you really need to have good map knowledge and an understanding of bush/camo/spotting mechanics. Sure you might have the odd good game where you keep driving around corners and landing a big killing hit, but generally, and especially when you get to tiers 6/7+, you'll get tracked and wrecked. The turreted TD's can get away with it because they can play just like mediums in most cases. But I see far too many bad players in paper TD's trying to work corners and getting in the way of heavies. Just save them for later once you've learned the game some more and experienced all tiers. 

Stay well away from the UK heavies. When I joined I saw the tech tree and went "OMG CHURCHILL MUST GET IT GONNA BE SO OP". Couldn't be more wrong. The British heavies until tier 8 all play pretty much the same way - sidescraping. You can't try to peek-a-boom or push like a KV1 can. Plus if you don't know how to angle your armour, pretty much anything will make butter of the Churchill front.

Actually, most of the mid-to-high tier British tanks are all high rate of fire, low pen, low alpha machines which IMO are challenging for new players. I'd definitely say the American heavy or Russian heavy lines are the best lines for a new player.

I was a real Frieken dingbat for my first so many game but I really was way to far in to correct my scubbyness so I had to start all over so please before you start talk to some good players to get you on the right track

You're telling newbs to basically not look for a clan until they have a T10. I think that's a big mistake, getting in a clan as soon as they get the hang of the game (so around tier 6 where they can play strongholds) is a very good thing in my opinion even if the clan is trash. You get to socialize, playing alone all the time sucks. Even if they aren't better than you are, surely you can still learn something. And there's absolutely nothing to lose, no cost in joining a clan then leaving as many times as desired.

You're telling newbs to basically not look for a clan until they have a T10. I think that's a big mistake, getting in a clan as soon as they get the hang of the game (so around tier 6 where they can play strongholds) is a very good thing in my opinion even if the clan is trash. You get to socialize, playing alone all the time sucks. Even if they aren't better than you are, surely you can still learn something. And there's absolutely nothing to lose, no cost in joining a clan then leaving as many times as desired.

Small correction: I'm telling newbs not to get overly worked up about invitations to clans before T10. In my experience, most clans who are going to invite you before you have a tier 10 are simply looking for warm bodies. That may be good enough, if all you're looking for is social interaction. If you're looking to improve and/or become competitive in clan wars, then it probably won't be a good fit. YMMV

Hi all. 

Haven't been too active lately, but I have been playing my re-roll experiment a bit. I'm within touching distance of purple with it, so it could be a decent example of what is possible in a starting account using the "rules" I posted here. Note that this re-roll experiment was conducted without premium time, use of free experience (other than that normally earned) or platooning.

HTH

/ding

Today I made light blue overall - and it's in large part down to this roadmap  (a special mention to the math guys who lowered the bar for blue a little bit in the meantime).
Thanks to everyone else who has answered my BS questions / provided guides along the way - expect more of the same in the coming months.

:thumbup:

Probably my favorite thread on the site...I've been thinking about creating a modern one...

One thing I would add is that new players need to learn how to manage, train, and progress crews.  Don't do what I did and dismiss all of the 100% Tier 1 crews you are not using immediately.  Learn about the relationship between regular tanks and premium tanks for crew training, learn to take advantage of discounted crew retraining, and understand the HUGE value of WOT crew training special events (Chaffee racing, Winter 8-bit).  

My MS-1 crew is now a 4 skill crew in an Ob 140, but my Tier 1 French, Japanese, Chinese, and Brit crews . . . dismissed the first week.  I bought a crew in my first premium tank (Locust) even though I was already playing the M-5 Stuart.  

*hangs head

New players should be encouraged to train with credits through tier 3 or 4, and to move past tanks as soon as they are finished.

They should be encouraged to use gold at tier 5 and higher and to jealously guard the crew xp from then on.

Then given a few basic guidelines for the first skill and it should be impressed upon them just how important 6th sense is.

That's it. Tell them anymore and you will just be over loading them

Tiers 8-9 Recommendations:

- Start joining champ tank companies, whenever able. Again, the idea is the lessons you can learn about organized team play. Also, medium tank companies tend to be pretty narrowly focused in terms of tanks allowed. Champ TCs tend to be a bit more varied. 

- Consider a premium tank for credits. Recommendations: IS6, Lowe, SU-122-44

Tank Recommendations:

- IS3. Generally considered OP. Lesson: Highly mobile heavies. Dealing with poor gun depression.

Hi,

I was wondering why didn't you suggest the Tier 6 KV-85 to learn dealing with poor gun depression, it's previous to IS-3 and you have to play the KV-85 a lot in it to unlock the IS.

Cheers,

Wish I had this to read 9k games back when I just started. I basically just assumed all tanks of the same class had the same style of play how wrong was I... Good guide, even 9k games on I might be able to salvage some new knowledge from this thread :D

1 hour ago, mewarmy said:

Wish I had this to read 9k games back when I just started. I basically just assumed all tanks of the same class had the same style of play how wrong was I... Good guide, even 9k games on I might be able to salvage some new knowledge from this thread :D

better late than never :)

This is very useful information and something that should be linked to new players for a better way of learning and getting to grips with the game :) good job