Sign in to follow this  
B00mheadsh0t

What do you consider a kill steal

I don't like calling it kill-stealing... How about kill-whoring!? I see it happen during these kill missions a lot. A good example is the Cromwell who posts up near my Rhoomba, doesn't fire a shot, waits for me to hit an enemy for enough that the Crommie knows he can finish him off during my reload. I've had a T49 follow my T29 and do the same thing...

Regarding the cromwell: He is allowing you to concentrate your larger alpha on targets with more flesh on them. in your perspective, he's kill hoaring. In his perspective he might be doing you a favour. What he's not doing is spotting and flanking, whether that's needed depends on the battle in question. It might be entirely legitimate to do what he's doing.

Regarding the cromwell: He is allowing you to concentrate your larger alpha on targets with more flesh on them. in your perspective, he's kill hoaring. In his perspective he might be doing you a favour. What he's not doing is spotting and flanking, whether that's needed depends on the battle in question. It might be entirely legitimate to do what he's doing.

There is nothing legitimate about only bringing your gun into the game for 1-2 shots at a time and hiding behind cover (or a 2nd line TD) the entire game. It's more legitimate than botting... Maybe. In his perspective he's racking up 5-6 kills with less than 1k damage and 12 shots. It is poor play but, because of the way we award kills and the way WG likes to run these kill missions, it is effective. He could, for all intents and purposes, be achieving the same outcome WHILE filling his role in the game.

Spotting and flanking is always needed. You need to spot to know if flanking is a viable option.

There is also damage-whoring; NOT taking kill shots for 200HP because I can get a full roll on his healthier buddy.

Spotting and flanking carries risk. if it's being done elsewhere effectively, it might be better to shore up a flank with a TD. We've already established the tank is question is well out-tiered. He might be waiting to use his gun and mobility at a time where he wont be guaranteed to die.

It still all depends on the battle and im in no disagreement that in most cases it will be some windowlicker leeching off you... just not always :)

When I light an enemy tank on fire and it is clear they don't have a fire extinguisher and will burn to death.

When people kill them before that happens, I get supremely pissed, because nothing fills me with more glee in this game than burning a target to death.

I think what I hate the most is when I'm in my T57 and I just reloaded. I pull out, point my gun at an enemy with like 1000 HP. I fire, fire fire, and then when I'm about to fire my last round for the killing blow, somebody else shoots the enemy. So my last round bounces hopelessly off the dead carcass of my foe. I'm not sure if people just can't count, or don't give a hoot, or what. But that really grinds my gears...

I don't care about 'kill steals' at all.  Could give a shit less.

The one and only 'steal' imo is when a tank is burning without a fire extinguisher and someone shoots it when it only has a handful of HP left ( in SIMP terminology that's getting 'Mac'd' )

Except for that the only other annoying thing (but not a steal) is when someone shoots a tank I'm about to ram-kill.

When I light an enemy tank on fire and it is clear they don't have a fire extinguisher and will burn to death.

When people kill them before that happens, I get supremely pissed, because nothing fills me with more glee in this game than burning a target to death.

Or the sweet, sweet blind shot burn. Where you don't see the round hit and then 4 seconds later you get the kill report. 

Kill stealing only occurs where an enemy tank is kept artificially alive longer than normal, in order for someone to attempt to set up a kill shot.

This. It's not the "steal" that is the problem, it's that someone passed on a damaging shot to wait for a kill shot. To me, that makes him part of the enemy team. Either pull the trigger when the shell is loaded or go someplace else where you'll be more useful (as a target).

I don't like calling it kill-stealing... How about kill-whoring!? I see it happen during these kill missions a lot. A good example is the Cromwell who posts up near my Rhoomba, doesn't fire a shot, waits for me to hit an enemy for enough that the Crommie knows he can finish him off during my reload. I've had a T49 follow my T29 and do the same thing...

This is basically my definition of a kill steal--letting another tank do the risk/reward then snatching the kill at the last second.  If you are all gang banging a tank, well then its a free for all.  If all you do is wait until the tank is low enough for you to 1-shot.  THIEF!!!

For me kill securing comes down to one question:

Is taking this shot a good idea?

If you've whittled a tank down to 50HP and that tank is on fire and the answer to the above question is yes then that tank is going down... Or I'll miss.

If it's not a good idea, e.g. It'll take too long to reload before the next threat appears, there are other priority targets or I need to move somewhere quick then I won't take the shot then it's all yours.

As for holding back a shell to get the killing shot. I've only rarely done it, usually on the last enemy artillery in the game when 3 or 4 of our tanks are bearing down on it with murderlust in their eyes. But in my opinion that situation is a free for all anyways.

I had a situation a couple days ago when I was in my Chaffee and lighting for an OBJ 704 against a T30. The T30 backed around a corner and I saw the opportunity to run the corner and flank/circle him. He was at less than a thousand HP and I circle shot him down to around a 100 HP when the 704 shot him for the kill. I sent a "Kill Stealer...lol" message in chat, but who knows how long it actually took me to whittle him down. I would have been really pissed if he would have let me die though (the T30 missed me once and I think the 704 missed him once and almost hit me).

I hate these kill missions because they encourage players to hold their shot for the kill when they should just unload their gun into a tank until it is dead.

Kill stealing as I see it:

-Shooting an enemy that is on fire and about to die to get the kill, rather than shooting another target that is very much not on fire and a threat to the team

-Denying someone a top gun when the battle is already well in hand by actively witholding their fire to take the killshot.

-Denying someone a kill during the flow of battle by actively witholding their fire for an extended period of time to take the killshot. In one battle in my M103, I faced a Conqueror head on and damaged him for 95% of his health while a Super Pershing hugged his side and could have easily helped damage him and conserve some of my HP. Not only did the SP not fire a single shot during the entire time I whittled the Conq down from full health, he waited until I left the Conquereror on about 150 health to fire the killshot.

Ive had it happen to me twice today where a guy will shoot a tank with >10hp while its on fire from my last shot. I dont consider it kill stealing if I shoot a guy and he has 200hp left and im reloading, thats a welcome kill because it may save me some hp. But when the dude is burning away at 10hp or less and someone shoots for 3 dmg or something silly it irks me. Am I being rediculous?

Kill stealing is when after the game you claim, that should have been my kill. Or, if you are in a platoon and one of the platoon mates has 5 kills and one tank is left and both of you have a shot and I take it, oh no that's friendship.