graukatze

Sixth Sense Not Going Off?

Hi!

Maybe just a coincidence, but today I had two games in a row where there were issues with 6th sense apparenty not going off (my Sixth Sense.png is HUGE and impossible to miss or overlook). First I had the pleasant experience of getting 85% of my health taken (light bulb did not go off), and the following game another player complained about the same thing happening to him. Anyone else noticed this recently?

Cheers,

-Graukatze-

Edited by graukatze

This happens sometimes to me, but not often.

From what I can tell, this is caused by packet loss. You have a momentary drop in packets that misses the "You were spotted" server check. This is also why you can peak a around a corner in Ruinberg and the enemy tank can shoot you and move to safety before it pops up on your screen...vexing.

Aha! Thanks for the insight. Going back to blaming Telia.net then... This is my first online multiplayer game experience, so I have no idea what performance to expect from the games servers. At least they are affecting everyone similarily (I hope), and I will not loose any more sleep over it.

Also sometimes, very rarely, people shoot at common sniping positions without anything being lit. I do this depending on the map.

It's probably not what happened, most people wouldn't even think to shoot at a tank that isn't lit anymore, much less at somewhere a tank hasn't been lit yet.

I have noticed sixth not popping up though, mostly when the spotter is in proximity, where I'm absolutely sure I am spotted but see no alert.

Your commander can also die and you wont have it iirc.  Most people don't throw a kit his way.

From what I can tell, this is caused by packet loss. You have a momentary drop in packets that misses the "You were spotted" server check. This is also why you can peak a around a corner in Ruinberg and the enemy tank can shoot you and move to safety before it pops up on your screen...vexing.

That sounds less like packet loss and more like poorly timed spotting check.

Your commander can also die and you wont have it iirc.  Most people don't throw a kit his way.

I think you retain sixth even if the commander died. Unless they changed it recently.

That said I can't say from experience, I heal my commander if he dies just about every time, being blind is really quite detrimental to playing the game. the only tanks I wont heal him in are 2nd line tanks where I have other spotters, and arty, but who ever heard of a commander dying in arty without the vehicle also dying?

I've had that happen as well. just a few days ago, in my KV-1S, I took 3 shots, and y lightbulb never went off. I was even killed with only getting 1 shot off because of no lightbulb (every shot that hit me tracked me)

You can also spotted, but killed before your sixth sense icon has time to activate. I think there is a 3 second delay from the time you get activated. If you die before it get's activated it doesn't turn on.

I think you retain sixth even if the commander died. Unless they changed it recently.

Dunno if it's a recent change, but I can confirm from multiple experiences that dead commander = no sixth bulb. Could be the cause of OP's problem, because many times I just overlook my commander being dead/would rather hoard my kit for driver/gunner and I of course forget that I lost sixth and then proceed to get face raped.

I've never had this issue, even with my annoying amount of packet loss/ping spikes. If someone could get it on replay...?

Ah, crap. I looked at it again, and it seems I was EXTREMELY (!!!) unlucky. But see for yourself (and ignore me loading HE rounds...):

http://dl.wotreplays.org/z/c/1/m/P/u/H/zc1mPuH-20140117_1029_germany-Waffentrager_E100_02_malinovka.wotreplay

Sometimes you're perma lit and don't know it.

Didn't watch the replay but it's something to consider.

This happens sometimes to me, but not often.

There is a three second delay on sixth sense, so I would consider that normal. The tougher part is that the spotting check might not fire until the tank is already moving back into cover.

There is a three second delay on sixth sense, so I would consider that normal. The tougher part is that the spotting check might not fire until the tank is already moving back into cover.

Sorry, I worded that poorly. I was referring to the enemy tank that just shot you still being unlit, not about the sixth sense popping.

Sorry, I worded that poorly. I was referring to the enemy tank that just shot you still being unlit, not about the sixth sense popping.

Correct, but just emphasizing that it is not lag or dropped packets, but just the reality of online gaming.

Really this is important for a camo tanks especially, although brave souls can use it on frontlines too.

First, always fight where you have cover unless you are a lt or mt circling and you know wtf you are doing. Your ideal is to wait for a tank to come into frame, shoot, and back up. Very hard to get shot.

The camo part is for distant players. Immediately after you shoot get back under cover. If you weren't lit go right back, otherwise wait 6-10s adjust your position a tad and repeat.

I believe there is an instant spotting check triggered when you shoot. Even so, there is a minimum of about 200ms for the info about your shot to reach the server and be transmitted to other players.

Even if they are pre-aimed they need to be very quick to get a shot off. That is also why you want to position your tank so as little sticks out as possible. If you drive straight sideways out from a rock, your front tracks take a long time to get covered. If you angle instead (just like scraping but the goal is reduced exposure not bouncing shots) you are very hard to hit.

If you instead sit there for 3 seconds for sixth to fire you are just lucky if you don't get hit.

As swami pointed out above, here is a showcase of beeing "perma lit", from the spotters view: Replay.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if someone was pre-aimed in your general direction expecting someone to be there, with the delay they could get a shot off before you got the signal. If they are not looking your way, you can always get to cover before they get pointed and aimed.

Also make sure no one is behind you.  Was in my Borsig hidden, no sixth sense light but kept getting shots into me.  They were shooting at the ferdi who decided to sit right behind me >.<