Diatomix

So i just read World war Z By Max Brooks

Well, that aside, my favourite was the one where some Russians were fleeing Kiev.

The last line was powerful, something like - we were running away, Rodina Mat looking down at us, cold and proud - not sure exactly what it was.

Well, that aside, my favourite was the one where some Russians were fleeing Kiev.

The last line was powerful, something like - we were running away, Rodina Mat looking down at us, cold and proud - not sure exactly what it was.

So many symbols of our national defense and none more spectacular than the statue of the Rodina Mat (Motherland). She was the tallest building in the city, a more than sixty-meter masterpiece of pure stainless steel. She was the last thing I saw in Kiev, her shield and sword held high in everlasting triumph, her cold, bright eyes looking down on us as we ran.

My favorite part was when Paris Hilton was killed.

Lol, the mansion story, right? Part of the fun in the book is all the politicians and celebrities slipped into the apocalypse under different names. It's basically a zombie apocalypse roman a clef.

Yup; the guy in the story didn't actually tell any names, just gave descriptions because threats to sue by estates. I lol'd when he chilled back like "Nah bro, I was hired to fight zombies not humans."

Truthfully my favorite part was either the Indian section (iirc) covering the ships trying to get away or the specific story about the k9 where the soldier shot the officer trying to keep her from rescuing the dog she partnered with. Didn't care much for what immediately followed it though.

The story about the dog handler trying to rescue her dog, and what the military did to her after she shot the officer who stopped her, was incredibly sad. The Indian section about the desperate people heading for the ship breaking yards in a vain hope to find safety at sea did a great job of conveying mass panic and terror.

Or as I like to refer to them... unimaginative dumb asses.

You accept the gratuitously flawed lore then call others unimaginative.

you-are-literally-too-stupid-to-insult-t

That might be overly harsh but I like the line.

I enjoyed the film for what it was but when you use pseudo-science as the basis for your monster you need to bury the flaws deeper or at least don't try to be the smartest person in the room and give a pseudo-intelligent answer that insults the intelligence of anyone with half a brain.

Building a believable zombie isn't hard, however it can mess with how your movie/game is rated, apparently. Due to how close to an actual virus it could be and that the people infected are technically just sick people being slaughtered en masse.

I have no issue with supernatural zombies, they're supernatural, you can pretty much do what you want from there. Then it's more down to how retarded the author has to make the characters in order for their story to work.

On another note aren't most of y'all 'Murica types? Where are the suggestions for hollow points? How about a wire between two trucks? Ooh even going for a low sweeping wire to smash heads against the ground, get all the short ones and the remaining ones would have no feet. Bonus.

There are just so many amusing possibilities when you have a zombie that is attracted to sound.

I enjoyed the film for what it was but when you use pseudo-science as the basis for your monster you need to bury the flaws deeper or at least don't try to be the smartest person in the room and give a pseudo-intelligent answer that insults the intelligence of anyone with half a brain.

This thread is about the book, and people's favorite parts within. The film's zombie lore is completely different (and, quite frankly, garbage). If you really want to criticize the zombie lore of World War Z as "unrealistic," you can start by actually learning the lore, then go make a thread about how easy it would be to kill all the zombies in WWZ. Or hell, if you really feel like you're the smartest person in the room, come up with your own lore and write a bestseller.

This thread is about the book, and people's favorite parts within. The film's zombie lore is completely different (and, quite frankly, garbage). If you really want to criticize the zombie lore of World War Z as "unrealistic," you can start by actually learning the lore, then go make a thread about how easy it would be to kill all the zombies in WWZ. Or hell, if you really feel like you're the smartest person in the room, come up with your own lore and write a bestseller.

I realize that, thanks for linking me to that garbage - you actually lowered my opinion.

Interesting way to interpret my post.

Here's how I interpret your post:

"Oh, look, someone made a thread about a zombie book they like, and wants to know what other readers liked about it. I'd better get in there and tell them their zombies aren't realistic."

Here's how I interpret your post:

"Oh, look, someone made a thread about a zombie book they like, and wants to know what other readers liked about it. I'd better get in there and tell them their zombies aren't realistic."

The central conceit of Max Brooks' zombie works is that they're a "realistic" take on zombies.

Which is why holes get poked in the "realism" on display.

There is no "realistic" take on zombies, because zombies can't be real. What you can do is craft a story with believable and interesting human reactions to the situation that also creates an interesting and dramatic story. That's what WWZ does, that's why the OP probably enjoyed reading it enough to start a thread asking what stories in WWZ other posters liked.

And then the anti-zombie crowd shows up and hijacks the thread with "duh, we can just machine gun them all, problem solved." Great job guys, you've just crafted the premise for the most boring zombie non-apocalypse ever. Why are you even in here if you don't like (or haven't read) the book? For the lulz? To prove your internet smarts by debunking "zombie realism?" Hint: none of you are actually saying anything new or clever when you criticize zombie lore, that's been done for quite a while.

Anyways, congratulations, thread successfully hijacked, no one's talking about the book, troll complete. Here's your Internet Zombie Apocalypse Debunker Award, enjoy it.

And then the anti-zombie crowd shows up and hijacks the thread with "duh, we can just machine gun them all, problem solved." Great job guys, you've just crafted the premise for the most boring zombie non-apocalypse ever. Why are you even in here if you don't like (or haven't read) the book? For the lulz? To prove your internet smarts by debunking "zombie realism?" Hint: none of you are actually saying anything new or clever when you criticize zombie lore, that's been done for quite a while.

You know, both of the best zombie fictions I've seen have had a zombie non-apocalypse which is solved pretty trivially because zombies are actually crap.  That would be Shaun of the Dead and the Newsflesh trilogy (which is set 20 years after the zombie apocalypse didn't happen because zombies are rubbish, and despite having zombies in it, even a zombie bear, the zombies aren't the story).

In all of the really good zombie fictions the zombies themselves aren't really the problem, it's always other people that are the real threat in a zombie movie.

The problem with WWZ really is trying to sell the Battle of Yonkers, because it relies on the ineffectiveness of military weapons at destroying human sized objects made of meat.  Which, newsflash, they are actually really good at.  Really, it's based on a fundamental underappreciation of how disturbingly effective humans have become at destroying ourselves.  A real "military vs. zombies" horror would be in describing the triviality with which zombies are fucked by weapons we designed to use on ourselves.

Yeah, here's the thing.  Weapons which are in common military use would not leave much of a body intact.  Even as low as .50 BMG would leave large numbers of zombies functionally incapacitated by destroying limbs, spines, etc. 

And that's without considering weapons like Bushmaster, an incredibly common weapon firing 25mm HEI. 

Really, we've spent thousands of years working on the problem of how to kill things exactly like us, frequently in very large numbers at once, we're disturbingly good at it now.

So a Ma Deuce rips a spine out, zombie don't give a shit. It's got 2 arms, and a head and mouth.

Or you rip a leg off, zombie don't give a shit. It's still got 2 arms and a leg and a head and mouth.

The ONLY way to kill is removing the brain.

You need some suspension of disbelief, brah.

So a Ma Deuce rips a spine out, zombie don't give a shit. It's got 2 arms, and a head and mouth.

Or you rip a leg off, zombie don't give a shit. It's still got 2 arms and a leg and a head and mouth.

The ONLY way to kill is removing the brain.

You need some suspension of disbelief, brah.

Yeah, but it can't do anything with them now, because it's on the floor in bits waiting for your cleanup crew to burn the leftovers.

Yeah, here's the thing. Weapons which are in common military use would not leave much of a body intact. Even as low as .50 BMG would leave large numbers of zombies functionally incapacitated by destroying limbs, spines, etc.

And that's without considering weapons like Bushmaster, an incredibly common weapon firing 25mm HEI.

Really, we've spent thousands of years working on the problem of how to kill things exactly like us, frequently in very large numbers at once, we're disturbingly good at it now.

Exactly this.^^^

Zombies already move slowly and sluggishly. A .50 cal M2 round tends to splatter torsos on direct hits; I was told that a near-miss has also torn off arms by the shockwave due to the extremely high muzzle velocity and the high mass of the round. The Barrett rifle used the exact same round to destroy aircraft engines. Remember that this is a gun used in WW2 in aircraft.

Hand grenades would be less damaging to zombies, but they would at least knock them down through concussion, and if the brain is still important to the zombie, would stun them just as it does humans.

Larger 40mm grenades launched from an M203 or the more powerful 40mm grenades fired from a Mk19 automatic grenade launcher (seriously, a grenade-firing machine gun) would absolutely demolish zombies. They make shotgun-type "beehive" rounds for the M203 as well.

Even in a zombie, muscles, tendons, ligaments and bones have to be intact and structurally sound for locomotion, and modern military weapons are quite good at making them not very structurally sound.

Sure, a 9mm pistol is probably gonna be less use than a baseball bat, but a good rifle? A machine gun firing belt-fed 7.62mm NATO? Come on. Slow-ass zombies would not be a problem. The military wouldn't even be needed; cops would break out the shotguns and take care of it themselves.

A .50 cal M2 round tends to splatter torsos on direct hits; I was told that a near-miss has also torn off arms by the shockwave due to the extremely high muzzle velocity and the high mass of the round. The Barrett rifle used the exact same round to destroy aircraft engines. Remember that this is a gun used in WW2 in aircra

ft.

There's no appreciable pressure wave from a bullet, they don't have enough surface area to produce it.  .50 BMG removing limbs would happen if it hit that limb.

Given that an APFSDS round tore through a fully loaded Bradley (friendly fire) and seriously injured nobody I doubt a near miss from a .50 would tear off limbs. That said stranger things have happened :P

APFSDS probably wouldn't have much of a pressure wave either, again it's a surface area issue as much as it is a speed issue.  Even an actual pressure wave from a high speed object (a sonic boom from an aircraft) won't actually really damage a human body.  The most intense sonic boom ever recorded was 7 kPa.  Lethal blast overpressure is about a hundred times that, and would anyway inflict crush injuries not tear bits off.  (ps. significant crush injury would be highly disabling to a zombie because it would be unable to exert mechanical force to move itself with all its bones in bits)

It doesn't, I used the example because of the similarity in proportion. Lethal overpressure almost only ever occurs in explosions. One exception I can think of was when the British used concrete 120mm training rounds in Basra to target specific rooms in buildings. The Blunt force created a large enough shockwave to do some serious harm although the cause of death was still likely to be shrapnel. 

It doesn't, I used the example because of the similarity in proportion. Lethal overpressure almost only ever occurs in explosions. One exception I can think of was when the British used concrete 120mm training rounds in Basra to target specific rooms in buildings. The Blunt force created a large enough shockwave to do some serious harm although the cause of death was still likely to be shrapnel. 

lol  That's hilarious.

FUCK YOU, BITCHES, WE'RE USING RUBBER BULLETS AND STILL KILIN UR D00DZ!

Yeah, here's the thing.  Weapons which are in common military use would not leave much of a body intact.  Even as low as .50 BMG would leave large numbers of zombies functionally incapacitated by destroying limbs, spines, etc. 

Because no modern army carries enough ammo to kill 20,000,000* enemy combatants. Its actually not possible unless you are fighting directly from a rail head connected to the ammo factory.... which is already overun because it was in a city.....

oh wait, we've had this argument before.

*20,000,000 is the approximate M-F 8-6 population of NYC.

Because no modern army carries enough ammo to kill 20,000,000* enemy combatants. Its actually not possible unless you are fighting directly from a rail head connected to the ammo factory.... which is already overun because it was in a city.....

oh wait, we've had this argument before.

*20,000,000 is the approximate M-F 8-6 population of NYC.

When those 20,000,000 people are zombies that make themselves about as easy to kill as it is possible to be, by slowly shambling toward your guns mumbling BRRRRAAAAAAIIIINSSSSSSSS then yeah, the lethality of the weapons skyrockets.  The reason modern armies don't have enough ammo to kill 20,000,000 people is because it takes many, many bullets on average to kill a person...an enemy soldier, that is, who is moving quickly and with a sense of self-preservation.  Against a monomaniacal zombie who wants your BRRRRRAAAAAIIIIIINNNNNSSSS but who doens't have the presence of mind or physical ability to move quickly or with any sense of self-preservation, the average number of bullets needed to kill would go waaaaay down.

Most soldiers are reasonable shots, although I have known at least one who couldn't hit the planet if you asked him to.  In general, though, give a platoon of soldiers a mob of 5,000 targets slowly shambling toward them, and they're gonna hit with close to every round, and then turn around and just walk away faster than the zombies can match.

Seriously, zombie-infestation is basically impossible to actually become a serious epidemic given the necessity of transmitting it by bite only.  An airborne or waterborne infection would be serious, but given that you can't transmit the disease until you are zombified and go around biting, you become an obvious vector before you're infectious.  Anybody who's played Pandemic II (fuck you, Madagascar!) can tell you that diseases that are transmittable before their carriers become obvious vectors are much more dangerous than ones that have obvious symptoms that set in at the same time as transmissability.

Zombieism would be tragic, but would never become more than a relatively minor (compared to how it happens in movies) infection.  It wouldn't hold a candle to the flu, let alone being an extinction-level event.