fffred

A different look on a subject that will piss off most of you.

The subject of this posting is capping.  Most players here tend to hate capping & players that cap out the enemy.  They would much rather farm damage.  I understand this & I normally share this view.

However, in the past several weeks, WOT has had several combat missions (IS-6, wins for Americans to get Cola, 30 kills).  Also, several of my platoon mates have been grinding up lines.  During this period of time, I have been capping whenever possible to complete the games as soon as possible.  I will list several reasons for my decision to increase capping and/or encourage others to cap.

1.  When playing in a platoon & 1 or more of your platoon mates get eliminated, I look for the quickest way to win the game so, the platoon can continue to play.  I also will change my game play to a more aggressive style when the win in no longer in question.  I figure that I either eliminate the enemy quickly, cap it out or die.  Any one of these will get my platoon into other battle. 

2.  Combat missions.  The reasons are about the same as above.  The 30 kill mission leads platoon mates to play aggressive & attempt to max kills.  This leads to early deaths & waiting.  Also, the 10 win USA mission would cause me to attempt to increase wins over stats (I normally play this style anyway).  Capping can be the quickest way to victory & another game!

3.  Platoon mates grinding slow tanks.  When a player is grinding a slower tank & the game goes well, this tank normally gets left behind in the advance (AT-15 for example).  Once this player has dropped behind, they aren't likely to get anymore shots.  Sometimes, the best way to allow them to continue to grind is for the 2 faster platoon mates to cap instead of attempting to help mop up survivors. 

Recently, I visited with some friends from the 1st clan I joined.  The clan was a complete mess.  I decided to rejoin the clan & help improve the clan.  The 1st objective was to increase teamwork.  Encouraging platooning within the clan was a 1st step.  Also, utilizing training rooms to improve team play is underway.  Recruiting better caliber players is also in the works. 

The bottom line for me in my decision to utilize capping has been to help out my platoon mates.  Each player has objectives in this game.  Knowing the objectives of the players in your platoon will allow you to assist them in meeting those objectives.  Several of the members of my clan have the objective of increased win rate. 

So, the next time you see me capping out a game when you are chasing down the last 2 enemy tanks, don't get pissed out me.  I'm doing this for my platoon mates.  I'm sorry that I don't give a shit about you padding your stats (actually, I'm not sorry, just trying to make you feel better). 

So, the next time you see me capping out a game when you are chasing down the last 2 enemy tanks, don't get pissed out me.  I'm doing this for my platoon mates.  I'm sorry that I don't give a shit about you padding your stats (actually, I'm not sorry, just trying to make you feel better). 

First, nothing you said is new or different.  Second, it's all wrong.

Killing the entire enemy teams yield more XP/credits than capping, and it's not close.  It's not about stat padding, it's about maximizing XP/credits for your effort.  If you cap rather than kill, you're deliberately passing up free credits and XP.  You don't like free credits/XP?  These credits/XP is spread throughout the team, so even if you go AFK instead of capping, you get more credits/XP while your teammates clean up.

To your points:

1. Maybe your platoonmates should actually try and live longer.  And it's not "playing more aggressive": you're suiciding.  Call it what it is.
  2. So for a "Kill X enemy" mission, you recommend NOT killing enemies and capping instead.  Quite the strategy.
  3. You choose your tanks before you hit "battle".  I'm not sure if you knew that or not.  If you don't like being in a slow tank, pick a different one next time.  Should we write a guide on how to check the top speed for a tank?

If I can cap, I'll do it. Imo, a free and fast victory yields more exp than chasing that one lone ranger across the map. Because by the time I catch up with him I can already be playing a new game.

Also, capping makes enemies come to you, and they usually come right where you want them to be. Capping is the best way to lure dem reds into a trap.

What.. you just spoke like a true pubbie, thing that we all hate. (thats the only thing you were right about btw, we do hate that.)

And.. exactly what RBS said.

So, the next time you see me finishing the enemy after carrying your ass and you cap, and my hand slip and TK'ed you, don't get pissed out me. I'm doing it for your own good. I'm sorry that I don't give a shit about your missions and your MMO take on the game and "grinding" (actually, I'm not sorry, just trying to make you feel better).

So, the next time you see me finishing the enemy after carrying your ass and you cap, and my hand slip and TK'ed you, don't get pissed out me. I'm doing it for your own good. I'm sorry that I don't give a shit about your missions and your MMO take on the game and "grinding" (actually, I'm not sorry, just trying to make you feel better).

Except next patch the team killing penalty is getting a buff. RIP the days of killing an occasional cap fast red.

Those members in your clan can GET those improved win rates by not ever getting on cap. There have been many times when I see people stupidly sitting on cap when we're 9>7 and get sniped to death, just sitting there doing nothing. If there's anything that you can learn from these forums, it's that the act of capping when there's still targets left is very frowned down upon. 

Your platoon mates can get those 30 kills easier by not capping matches and perhaps seeking out the last few tanks for possible kills. 

If your platoonmates would stop dying so early then would you have to cap?

Da green overall and purple recent.

Biggest_discrepancy_NA 

Trust me, I've you are within in range to shoot the enemy cap while hunting the remaining enemy tanks, I'll be doing the same.  However, if you are on the other side of the map where I have no chance to get in on the "mop up", I'm going to cap.  I don't blindly stop on the cap without looking at the situation on the minimap.  If I feel there is a chance to get in an extra shot or kill, I'm going for it. 

I completely understand you don't care about the reasons I play the game, I don't expect you to care about me.  This is a team game played by individuals. 

First, nothing you said is new or different.  Second, it's all wrong.

Killing the entire enemy teams yield more XP/credits than capping, and it's not close.  It's not about stat padding, it's about maximizing XP/credits for your effort.  If you cap rather than kill, you're deliberately passing up free credits and XP.  You don't like free credits/XP?  These credits/XP is spread throughout the team, so even if you go AFK instead of capping, you get more credits/XP while your teammates clean up.

To your points:

1. Maybe your platoonmates should actually try and live longer.  And it's not "playing more aggressive": you're suiciding.  Call it what it is.
  2. So for a "Kill X enemy" mission, you recommend NOT killing enemies and capping instead.  Quite the strategy.
  3. You choose your tanks before you hit "battle".  I'm not sure if you knew that or not.  If you don't like being in a slow tank, pick a different one next time.  Should we write a guide on how to check the top speed for a tank?

Maybe I mis-spoke when I attempted to make this point.  When the person attempting to complete the kill "x" mission is ALREADY dead, they aren't going to get anymore kills in THAT GAME.  So, as a live platoon mate STILL in the game, I attempt to end THAT game as soon as possible.  If capping gets that done, I cap.

So, I will make another recommendation.  I recommend that you learn how to read and/or you actually attempt to understand the information posted before you post a comment on that information. 

The 30 kill mission leads platoon mates to play aggressive & attempt to max kills.  This leads to early deaths & waiting.

Seems like you'd kill more tanks in a match if you stay alive longer.  Better to pick off 4 low-health tanks than one full-health one, right?

I completely understand you don't care about the reasons I play the game, I don't expect you to care about me.  This is a team game played by individuals. 

But we do care about you.  

We care to create guides, reviews, websites, quality replays, beta test, give balance feedback to keep the game healthy, and the best caring of all: spend the last 5-10 minutes of every game dragging your sorry ass to victory when you suicide and shit on the 12 people on your team that aren't in your platoon.

And then you come here and act like WE are the assholes?  Whatever.

It's just so fun when a posting can bring out all this lovely hate & discourse. 

If one intends to maximize xp+credits/game capping is the dumbest thing to do.

However, fffred may have (possibly?) a point: if one is focused on xp+credits/minute - capping fast and starting a new game rather than hunting down one or two stragglers may actually be efficient under certain conditions:

1. remaining enemy tanks have little hp left. Meaning you won't lose too much xp/credits.
  2. hunting them would take considerable time because the enemy has a speed advantage, his location is unkown or far removed

But seeing that you don't stop there but rather advocate a "rush and die" playstyle, you have to ask yourself some additional questions:

Why not just suicide? Spot as much as possible, deal a bit of damage. Next game. Who cares if your teammates win or lose? 48% of the time they will still be able to carry your sorry ass while you go screw the next team. Go straight to the enemy, keep the time per game under 2 minutes. The sad thing is for many bad players this may even be effective (it's not like they achive much in the remaining 13 minutes).

Why not use a botting program? If it has an autofire script it will get you that kill mission eventually.

Why play the game at all if you don't care about playing well and doing your utmost to win?

Sidenote: you claim you want to teach your old clan teamwork and the advantages of platooning? Most people who want to learn watch their platoonmates after they have died. At that time you have the leisure to give advice or observe a better player. And at that time you will learn/teach most in a platoon!

Final point: capping (provided victory is certain) is bordering on anti-social behaviour. You are screwing your teammates: You might deprive that great player who carried you of his top gun. You may rob the scout player who has spotted like a champ all game long of his compensation (tasty arties, fat tds, ...), ...