Awesome idea, I built my own computers from the late 80's to the early 00's and always enjoyed it.  I looked at the PC parts site that Navysnipers put up the other day and realized that there were so many different CPU models now that I had no idea which non intel ones were powerful or the equivalent of the early "Celeron" processors.  When you add in the multitude of motherboards and video cards, it's entirely too time consuming to jump back in and research it all again.  I have three teenage boys and rarely have any free time aside from playing some WoT with them.

Espescially if we could get people who were willing to work for not too much. If it cost $650+ to get a $500 computer after shipping and labor, I think people would be more inclined to do it themselves.

Awesome idea, I built my own computers from the late 80's to the early 00's and always enjoyed it.  I looked at the PC parts site that Navysnipers put up the other day and realized that there were so many different CPU models now that I had no idea which non intel ones were powerful or the equivalent of the early "Celeron" processors.  When you add in the multitude of motherboards and video cards, it's entirely too time consuming to jump back in and research it all again.  I have three teenage boys and rarely have any free time aside from playing some WoT with them.

So much this^^^

As a former IT network/pc guy I am about a decade out of the loop. Would have to research for long time to figure out WTF is good/bad/acceptable and build it.

I'd do that, but the cost to buy parts is a fair amount for me especially because I have 2 small computer stores near me, and anything else would get shipped to me or I would have to drive for ~1.5 hours.

I opened this thread hoping for custom made Computer Towers that were Tank themed.  :sad:

I think the short brutal answer to this concept is that the margins would be razor thin at best.

If it cost $650+ to get a $500 computer after shipping and labor, I think people would be more inclined to do it themselves.

Without bulk purchases discount on parts you'd have to pay the same as a consumer for parts and then you'd have to add in whatever overhead is associated with this (labor, shipping of parts to the manufacturer, any floor space in use). Then you have to factor in how do you do quality control if you farm out the construction like a cottage industry. Do you provide customer support?

You would end up with something where maybe you make ends meet unless someone returns something in which case you end up eating part of the costs and that would kill whatever sliver of profit there was.

Now custom computer towers....

Espescially if we could get people who were willing to work for not too much. If it cost $650+ to get a $500 computer after shipping and labor, I think people would be more inclined to do it themselves.

Therein lies the problem.  One of the biggest reasons to build yourself is for the cost savings.  Shipping is so expensive that a rig built from $500 worth of parts bought on Newegg would cost ~$100 just to ship, which only leaves $50 for the person who assembles it... which most people worth paying to put a PC together probably wouldn't be willing to work for.

tbh I find that if people want the best bang for their buck they need to do their research and buy all the parts themselves. The reason people build computers in the first place is to get more bang for their buck.

Maybe you're not going to be running crysis 3 at 1440p so you don't need a 780 and can save a couple hundred by buying a 770 instead. Maybe you don't need a 2tb HDD so you can save money getting a 1tb or 500gb. Maybe you're like me and don't have very much storage at all and decide to go with less storage but more performance (120gb SSD for me).

My point is, pretty much no matter what, there's always something about a pre-built that you don't need and can therefore save money on.

I think the downfall of this would be shipping costs and liability (let's say it works fine before shipping and doesn't boot after. Who is responsible? Does it have to be shipped back? Who pays? etc...).

I've helped friends build theirs and wouldn't be opposed to helping out someone local but personally I don't want to get involved in shipping completed rigs and providing support/warranty down the road.  It's just not worth the risks and time.

The lack of a warranty is really the only thing I see as a limiting factor.  I ship heavy packages worth A LOT more (like 50k) then 1,500$ every day...UPS is the best period.  

But I do have a CNC Waterjet and a CNC lathe so I could make custom cases..but no.  This was just an idea that ran through my head.

I wonder about build quality from sites like this

http://secure.us.ncix.com/ncixpc/ncixpclist.cfm?categoryid=1011

That's a good company. They're builds look pretty nice too. I don't know if I could compete with some of them.

I build all my systems and with the ever changing price and discounts of new and semi new components, I'd rather have someone tell me how much they want to spend and I would do the build at that time. Building the best system that money (at that time) could by. 

A minimum of $75 labor. Any system over $750 would be 10% labor. Insured shipping in the total price would be actual cost. (Not inflated)

I'm sure we could come up with a variety of builds to match any given need at any given price point, but building and shipping systems with money changing hands can be a big bucket of worms. It can be done, but things have to be fully understood by both parties from the beginning.

Labor is the killer on anything like this. I used to have a business building custom systems, and it was pointless to bother with low-end systems since any type of labor cost basically made you non-competitive from the get-go. It takes the better part of a day to unpack, assemble, test, load, and update even the most basic custom system, and most reasonable assembly fees are hardly worth your time if you're not able to build multiple systems at a the same time. There's also the issue of paying full retail for your parts (and the OS), compared to an OEM that can load up on wholesale discounts.

Warranty support is a nightmare if you don't have the volume to make for the inevitable bad part. One part eats any profit you made on that system, and customer support calls eat up time that could be used for something else (like building systems). And what if the buyer wants to return the system or cancels the order? You've already spent the money on the parts, there's nothing to give back. Our disclaimer sheet was a terrifying piece of paperwork - no warranty on the system, manufacturer's warranty only on individual components, no support calls, no returns, no refunds once we start ordering parts.   o.O

For a $500 system, I'll send them a list of parts or a link to whatever sale Dell is having that day. These days, a buyer has to be willing to spend $500 on the wiring harness before I'll bring out the toolbox.

Thinking on this, I have access to hardware at about half the price listed in most places. Shipping is a buzz kill unless you are ordering a container at a time. Software kills us here, even the windows stuff is shitty high. that is why I run linux and ubits.

So. the idea could be a parts box with all the goodies ready to be assembled, kinda a build kit with interchangeable parts to upgrade with price.

May start looking at this.

Why did Belial go through and edit everything to "."? Is it really necessary for people to remove all the information they've posted somewhere when something pisses them off?

Because this section of the forum is nothing but negativity..i'll build my computer when i'm ready and stop trying to contribute here.

Because this section of the forum is nothing but negativity..i'll build my computer when i'm ready and stop trying to contribute here.

A lot of differing opinions but I don't think anyone is actively attacking you. Unlike the thread that got nuked to the garbage bin you had some decent info in your threads before you edited it out.  Seemed like most of the differing was over small portions.