Sign in to follow this  
ultragumby

Advice on how to curb aggressive gameplay?

I have been an aggressive player in most every game I have ever played this is true in WoT as well. I just started to really figure out whats going on about 1.5 or 2k games ago and I know I am an overly aggressive player but i don't know how to fix this. I think this is really what is keeping me from moving up to a higher level in the game adn am looking for suggestions of how to curb my aggression. I have realized this is a problem by my abysmal survival rating.  For reference I tend to play heavily armored heavies like E100 line and soviet meds. Also stats: http://wotlabs.net/na/player/ninjagumby

Thanks for any advice

Aggressive play is not a bad thing at all, you just need to know exactly what you're doing

Round a corner to drive into 3 TD guns staring at you? Not a good idea

Round a corner to flank the lone TD with his gun in the other direction? Yes please

Blindly yoloing into the unknown? Think twice

Move up to get better firing positions on the enemy when you know the coast is clear? Go for it

You need to learn from experience where you can be aggressive and when you can not be

If you can't make a move on one flank, try your luck elsewhere

Though if you WANT to learn a more passive playstyle, do the following:

- NEVER get into a fight you don't have at least 70% control of

- Conserve your HP like your team's victory depends on it (usually it does)

- Always assume you'll be spotted when you fire, and be ready to drive into cover when you do

- Always take a safe position where you can either run away and your allies will help or one with tons of cover so the enemy can't get to you

Other than that you can also play tons of tanks without armor, or tank destroyers

Tank destroyers give you a great idea where to camp, where firing lines are, and how to use and abuse camo

Tanks with little armor make you deathly scared of taking hits as it's almost guaranteed you will receive a penetration from the enemy

They also help you make better decisions as any mistake you make is punished big time

I think OP is asking about to get out of the habit of YOLOrushing...

My advice would be to play slower tanks that it's harder to YOLO in. Take the extra time getting from point A to point B to look at the minimap and think about:

• How is your team deploying?
  • What will you do when you get to Point B?
  • Is Point B a good destination for your vehicle?
  • Where could you have gone instead of Point B?
  • After you get to Point B, what's Point C.
  • Further more, what is Point Z (Your backup plan if you can't go from B to C)

These things can be hard to think about when your zooming around in an A-20, but taking the time to think it through while plodding along in your AMX-40 or B1 will encourage you to think about your gameplay on a deeper level.

Playing a slower vehicle also encourages you to pick the right Point B at the very start as if you pick the wrong one you will have no way to stage a comeback.

um something that really helps well is play with unica players, its funny sometimes they avoid exposure and doing damage, but survive way way much longer,

one thing that helped me was learning to survive, by using tactics like hull downs, depression, its a great way to learn man, and mainly experience, i have the same problem,

i will take a 1k hit so i can do 2k dmg , but maybe if i did not i could survive a bit longer and do 3k later on,

I think OP is asking about to get out of the habit of YOLOrushing...

My advice would be to play slower tanks that it's harder to YOLO in. Take the extra time getting from point A to point B to look at the minimap and think about:

• How is your team deploying?
  • What will you do when you get to Point B?
  • Is Point B a good destination for your vehicle?
  • Where could you have gone instead of Point B?
  • After you get to Point B, what's Point C.
  • Further more, what is Point Z (Your backup plan if you can't go from B to C)

These things can be hard to think about when your zooming around in an A-20, but taking the time to think it through while plodding along in your AMX-40 or B1 will encourage you to think about your gameplay on a deeper level.

Playing a slower vehicle also encourages you to pick the right Point B at the very start as if you pick the wrong one you will have no way to stage a comeback.

you are correct, I seem to get my self overly involved  in a flank and don't remember there is an S key. Thanks for the tips

Start reviewing team composition, and put more focus on the opposing team.

You will soon notice patterns of behavior for certain tanks, classes, players, or groups of tanks (platoons). After a while you will be able to predict enemy movements and their initial deployment, even without scouting.

There is no point in taking a spot if you know that it will likely be stormed by the enemy a few seconds after you arrive.

Examples:

You spawned south on Murovanka and the enemy team has lots of tank destroyers.

Expect heavy camping in the forest, so don't push from the south-east, instead focus on clearing the west side of the map. Use the hills and the village for cover. If you gain an advantage in numbers plan a two pronged attack on the forest, don't forget to use the terrain, there are lots of small dents and bulges around it.

Complete Information is key to making a YOLO work.

At the start of the game you have conditional complete info.... you KNOW they all started in the spawn, you can predict where most people go. Every now and then a sui-derp red will ruin your game by blazing right into you and lighting you up, trading shots eating up your HP.....You need cover fire to make it work.

Later in the game, hopefully you know where most tanks are, and a well timed rush in can work wonders.

Mid game aggressiveness is often suicide because there are many unspotted tanks and the law of Marduk states that I will always go right where they are pointing their guns. Again... full information is key.

My advice to you is be more patient and let the game develop a little, at first there are 15 enemy tanks, its quite a big number and in order to succed in playing aggresive at start you need to have a good map awereness and intuition about where those enemy tanks might be deployed which is not easy to do.

As the game develops and more enemy tanks get killed/spotted it will be easier for you to handle complexity better and take the correct course of action.

Do yoga bro.  It helps with the agression, but what you describing here is "recklessness."  Basically you are miscalcuating risks vs benefits.

Agressive play is good, reckless play is bad.  Just other day, a full team of unipotatoes was slaughtered by less statisctically better player because they where too scared to move up and take one for the team.

I play extremely aggressive, bad for my damage and survival rate, but good for my xp and winrate.
Don't become a sad damage padding TD camper cunt.

Know what you are doing, always have access to cover, and a possible escape route for when you get overwhelmed or one flank dies.

How interesting this thread is, as I have been dealing with this ever since I started playing.

I couldn't do it so I embraced it. Stick to tanks that allow you to play aggressively.  However since that can get boring, try to mix and match passive tanks in there to break it up. For instance, 5 games in yolorush tanks, 1 game in passive tanks. Playing passive tanks without being able to break out of your usual meta is bad; you die, you don't do damage, you lose games. Which is why you have to avoid playing them game after game. The more you play them, the worse you will do as each game you will lose more patience and get yourself shot prematurely.

Mixing it up is essential.