JenkaTamar

Bots- an Introduction

A very interesting article on For the Record about  bots, how they work, how they are detected (Manually), how effective they are (can be better than 70 percent of the user base), And what actions Wargaming EU at least fails to take against them.

Here is a link to the full article and attached Videos.

http://ftr.wot-news.com/2014/02/04/bots-introduction-to-the-menace/#more-8172

It's a long article and quite eye opening.  With Several informative videos. 

It is shocking to me about the number of users and how organized the whole thing is.  The best bot has 100,000+ users paying a monthly fee so they can bot in World of Tanks. That number is supposedly taken from the bot developers website. 

At that level of usage it can certainly affect the meta of World of tanks quite profoundly.  especially as a improved version of the best bot under development can evidently average 3000 DPG in tier 10 games.

also, the one quoted is a one-time fee for a lifetime license (based on my own research), not a monthly fee.  I know how to spot it and send in replays to support when I can.  it's still sad that some of these bots are better than actual players.

If a bot can be that much better than a red/orange, seems it is a viable idea to have 2 dumb accounts just for bots. Instead of solo, platoon with them. Will they ban players team with a bot ? LOL

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but didn't WG say at some point they wouldn't develop a more comprehensive tutorial to help new players because the coding would be too complex or not be cost effective? That said, they made one for WOWP which is IMO more complex. I know that is a different development team but it is sad that people working with limited resources (client side) can put something this effective out on the market. Imagine if WG had put resources into developing something like this for new players or players wanting to play solo and improve. Tin foil cap time, they did and decided selling botting licenses would maximize their profits over implementing it into game. One final thought, it blows my mind that they want this game to be taken serious in E-Sports and they are actively telling community members to stand down from taking out bots.

Dnive/Dniwe – this one comes for free with Warpack (but that costs you 7 Euro per month). In connection with other Warpack software, it is deadly, it cheats and earns a lot of credits and XP. On tier 10 tank, it can score even around 3000 damage.

how the fuck

Warpack is a real thing? o.O

lol, WoTLeader is a better bot anyway. how did you not know this was real? It's pretty much the only set of mods that are actually banned in RU.

Bullshit.

WTE100 auto aim.

One final thought, it blows my mind that they want this game to be taken serious in E-Sports and they are actively telling community members to stand down from taking out bots.

Wargaming are incompetent, lazy, assholes that stumbled on a popular format.

I'm not making any claim.  Simply reporting a tidbit from the article.  supposedly there is more information in one of the Russian video's linked to the article but i don't speak Russian and can't judge.

Folterknecht Posted in the FTR thread that he was glad it finally went public.  Maybe he has more information?

Because there are so few bot makers it would be really easy for wg to simply sue all of them and make the problem disappear. But I think wg has taken the opposite approach. Maybe wg thinks the botters buy prem accounts so they can get to their tier 10s even faster.

In the end the real reason is probably that wg doesn't give a shit about players/bots and only reacts to these issues when players find bots and post messages to support. Wg then has to react to make it seem they are doing something. In reality wg probably just gets annoyed when people go digging around and make wg do more work.

I used to do some bot hunting myself.  There were usually some clear signs in how they played, including the barrel drop mentioned in the article.  Further proof would be in the profile.  Things like inhuman numbers of battles per day, along with ridiculously low kill/damage rates.  Mugsy used to actually encourage me, asking for any evidence I would turn up, though he did always require a replay.  Sadly, he was either unwilling or unable to do much, except in the case of very clear botting.  Even then, WG policy was to reset the account once instead of issuing a permaban.  Some time later, Mugsy switched over to Warplanes, and as far as I know, nobody in the NA office has any kind of directive to combat bots.

For quite some time, I had strongly considered testing Tankleader out.  Much like the video in the article, I had planned to show what a well programmed bot script could do, and present it to WG.  Then, I discovered that WGNA either had 0 fucks to give, or had 0 authority to act on those fucks.  Glad I never spent any time/money actually setting that bot up....

Honestly, if they move in some way and fire their guns in the direction of the enemy, they're already better than a third of the pubs.  Add in some good map/tank class specific programming, and I wouldn't doubt a green caliber bot could be made, which would place it in the upper ~25% of the player base.  I echo an earlier comment:  Keep the bots, ban the reds. 

I get the bots on some level. Some people just suck or are pathetic. What I do not understand is the sheer number of users and the number of kinds. What is the end game here?