Worstpoaster_na

Literature suggestions

Hey I'm enrolled in a English lit course this semester, so I have to do an indepth analysis of a novel.

Here's some I'm considering

Johnny got his gun

The road/blood meridian. Anything by McCarthy

Clockwork orange

Long walk/ dome by king

Really stuff that's fairly disturbing, already did American psycho in high school an rather enjoyed it.

Anyone read something off my list and would you recommend it, any other suggestions?

The Road.

I read it and read it again. For as morbid and depressing as it can be it's just a DAMN good book.

Second would be The Long Walk by Bachman  :verysmug:

Catch-22

Watchmen comic(The movie was a joke)

The Ingenious Gentleman Don Quixote of La Mancha

American Psycho

All quiet on the western front

+1 for the bombardiers of Pianosa. I've read Catch-22 maybe 5 times, it was my favorite novel from about 15-22 and shaped a lot of my worldview (for better or for worse). Damn fine piece of work. 

Rumors of the Man of La Mancha's greatness and significance are a bit overrated in my own, formidable, opinion. 

I did Lolita as my grade 11 final project, my teacher thought that I was some high achiever azn  making an indepth anaylsis on human relationships v.s society.

I just did it because I thought I can fap 2 it

Hey I'm enrolled in a English lit course this semester, so I have to do an indepth analysis of a novel.

Here's some I'm considering

Johnny got his gun

The road/blood meridian. Anything by McCarthy

Clockwork orange

Long walk/ dome by king

Really stuff that's fairly disturbing, already did American psycho in high school an rather enjoyed it.

Anyone read something off my list and would you recommend it, any other suggestions?

See below.

Who are you and what did you do to Worst?

I did Lolita as my grade 11 final project, my teacher thought that I was some high achiever azn  making an indepth anaylsis on human relationships v.s society.

I just did it because I thought I can fap 2 it

It's ok guys, he is alive after all. Anyway, I have no real suggestions, so I will just say that you should find a novel form of Neon Genesis Evangelion and then do a report on that. Profit. 

I give another vote for "The Road".  I originally saw the movie and was unimpressed by how one dimensional it felt.  However....I then read the book.  Holy crap talk about subtle character development.  The relationship between the man and the boy is nothing short of beautiful.  You will grieve a little.

Edit:  Almost forgot, it's important to add that it's a fairly short novel which means you can get through it, write your paper, and get back to doing other things.  Time management FTW!

I love guro, so I'm looking for a pretty "disturbing" novel.

Most people squelch when reading american psycho, I thought it was hot.

Hot but poorly written.

Heart of Darkness (aka Apocolypse Now)

Dune (or the first 3 of the series--extremly complex on relgion, resources, ecology, fate)

While I give a wide berth to "English Literature"  (aka anything originally written in English) some of the novels here are German/Spanish Literature.  Make sure that's ok first.

Otherwise if Anything is on the table, why not Russian Bias?

War and Peace (The original novel to hate)

Brothers Kamarov (Good and Evil)

Crime and Punishment

+1 for the bombardiers of Pianosa. I've read Catch-22 maybe 5 times, it was my favorite novel from about 15-22 and shaped a lot of my worldview (for better or for worse). Damn fine piece of work. 

Rumors of the Man of La Mancha's greatness and significance are a bit overrated in my own, formidable, opinion. 

Probably because you didn't read it in Spanish.

A distinct possibility. I like the Conrad suggestion by the way- that is an exceptional piece of work, though dispense with any preconceptions from Apocalypse Now.  If you liked Lolita, Conrad was also a non-native English speaker and polyglot. 

Pick something approachable that you will enjoy and think you can get into.  Don't worry about some of the e-peeners dropping the names of the biggest, densest texts they have ever read the cliff notes of. Suggesting he do an in depth analysis of Karamazov or War and Peace? Casually picking up Moby Dick for a 100/200 level course outside his major?  Get real; doing the Inquisitor section of Karamazov any kind of justice would take a semester in itself, people spend an entire Masters Thesis on that kind of thing. Why not Finnegans Wake while you're all at it?

Crime and Punishment

Should I admit I read that book for a girl?

Don't let my wife know, but it was worth it!

Finnegan's Wake dosn't seem too hard....

Tim Finnegan lived in Watling street
A gentleman Irish, mighty odd
He had a brogue both rich and sweet
And to rise in the world he carried a hod
You see he'd a sort of a tipplin' way
With a love for the liquor he was born
And to send him on his way each day,
He'd a drop of the craythur every morn'

CHORUS:

Whack fol' the dah will ya dance to your partner

Round the floor your trotters shake

Isn't it the truth I told ya?

Lots of fun at Finnegan's wake

One morning Tim was rather full
His head felt heavy which made him shake
He fell off the ladder and he broke his skull
And they carried him home, his corpse to wake
Rolled him up in a nice, clean sheet
laid him out upon the bed
With a bottle of whiskey at his feet
And a barrel of porter at his head

(Repeat Chorus)

Well his friends assembled at the wake
And Mrs. Finnegan called for brunch
Well, first she brought them tea and cake
Then pipes, tobacco, and whiskey punch
Then the Widow Malone began to cry
"such a nice clean corpse did you ever see?"
" Tim, mavourneen! Why did you die?"
"Will you hold yer gob?" says Molly McGee'

(Repeat Chorus)

Well, Mary Murphy took up the job
"Oh Biddy," says she, "you're wrong, I'm sure."
Well Biddy fetched her a belt in the gob
And left her sprawling on the floor
Then the war did soon engage
'Twas woman to woman and man to man
Shillelagh law was all the rage
And a row and a ruction soon began

(Repeat Chorus)

Well Mickey Maloney ducked his head
When a bottle of whiskey flew at him
It missed, and landing on the bed
The whiskey scattered over Tim
Bedad revives, see how he rises!
Timothy risin' from the bed!
Sayin' "Throwin' your whiskey around like blazes,"
"Thanum an Dhul! do ye think I'm dead?"

Dune (or the first 3 of the series--extremly complex on relgion, resources, ecology, fate)

While I give a wide berth to "English Literature"  (aka anything originally written in English) some of the novels here are German/Spanish Literature.  Make sure that's ok first.

Crime and Punishment

Dune is overrated.  Heard shit, read it.  was like wow space sand niggers and some jesus-y guy.  Cool, but I heard this was supposed to be super special awesome.  

Now I should set up by tent to preach about Robert Jordan and Wheel of Time.  except I'm lazy, so I'll just say its awesome.  

Also I know nothing of analyzing literature since I have avoided it like the plague since early highschool, and it bothers me cause numbers r baws yo.  also prompts that make me want to just contest the prompt.  everything is so poorly defined, pisses me off (cue were romeo and juliet really in love?), never again.

True. However Finnegan's ≠ Finnegans

I am a lit nerd and a huge Joyce fan and I will unabashedly admit I ragequit this one. 

Sure! But I love the Clancy Brothers and this is about as close to trolling as I get :)  I did understand the importance of the Apostrophe.

Crime and Punishment

Damn, you beat me to Dune. However, you could try other novels like Ringworld (which is a great book and has a lot to do with the disconnection of culture) or anything by Steven King.

Dune is overrated.  Heard shit, read it.  was like wow space sand niggers and some jesus-y guy.  Cool, but I heard this was supposed to be super special awesome.  

Now I should set up by tent to preach about Robert Jordan and Wheel of Time.  except I'm lazy, so I'll just say its awesome.  

Also I know nothing of analyzing literature since I have avoided it like the plague since early highschool, and it bothers me cause numbers r baws yo.  also prompts that make me want to just contest the prompt.  everything is so poorly defined, pisses me off (cue were romeo and juliet really in love?), never again.

OK you dissed Dune and threw in Wheel of TIme?  ok.. If Jordan hadn't died, that series would still being going and that is not a compliment.  Even the Lord of the Rings Movie ended eventually..... 

Anyway if that was your take on Dune, you may want to exclude yourself from the converstaion. It may not be the next Finnegan's Wake, but it is one of the few Sci Fi novels that isn't tripe.

Added a little highlight of your comment, if you avoid reading--WHY ARE YOU COMMENTING IN A LITERATURE THREAD!!!

And IIRC Wurst is a highschooler.  I'd just take this as an oppurtunity to expose yourself to some of the bigger "Giants"  I'll admidt I liked the Grapes of Wrath before I had to read it for school (granted, that's not war and peace, but still--I just remember that "studying" it ruined my enjoyment of it).  GO BIg or Go Home (of course I am biased as I can read super fast, so size is relative)--you have enothing to lose and its better than having it force fed for some class.  Besides some of the big boys are famous not just for their length but for the subjects the discuss.  BUs most importantly, it was to make a RUSSIAN BIAS JOKE!!

But perhaps I was over excited--I actually love books/reading so grabbing one of those isn't a pain.  If you aren't a reader, yeah limit yourself.

i tried reading the russian epics a few years ago, they were just too boring for me.

plus if I did them the prof will be like, wtf this kid is a tryhard trying to look good.

Read all of the Foundation novels ^~^

Read the first two, really enjoyed. My brother is really encouraging me to read Caves of Steel + the whole thing because apparently there's some big "Whoa" realization when everything just comes together.

Read the first two, really enjoyed. My brother is really encouraging me to read Caves of Steel + the whole thing because apparently there's some big "Whoa" realization when everything just comes together.

Yep. I read the series quite some time ago, but have nothing but good memories of them. Asimov_sci-fi_best_sci-fi