So yeah, why not, we could use a dog thread.

I've been thinking of getting a Husky (not for another few years), then kitti brought up Pomsky, which seems physically impossible to achieve but yet they exist. I'm looking for friendly, not bark at wind blowing leafs, and not too high requirement in maintenance and attention.

So what are some experiences you guys had with different types of dogs?

p.s. pitbulls are ugly.

I've had a Shih Tzu (my favorite dog so far). She was very docile, never barked at all. Was very friendly and had a lot of energy for when she was playing around. On the opposite, she was also extremely happy just just lie on your lap on just next to you on the couch for hours.

Also, Shih Tzus don't shed.

Currently have a Pug. Sheds like crazy, but she has the same temperament as my Shih Tzu did. And even MORE docile. She only gets excited when it's treat time.

we once had a Golden Retriever, he was amazing. really friendly, really sensitive, really loving. unfortunately he died of cancer a few years ago. 

but his personality was very nice, and patient, and loyal. 

if I were to get another Dog, I would be looking at a Border Collie. we have some friends that own one, and she is also very friendly, playful, and loyal. 

I got a Puggle She can be real annoying to me at times but I love her and always gives me a nice welcome home after work.

well pic wont appear for some reason..... 

Judging by a few friends' experience with them I'm not sure a Husky is ideal if you don't want high maintenance.  They're very smart but also hyper and very stubborn and one of my friends had a hell of a time trying to train his.

We used to have a Golden Retriever/Newfoundland mix (he may have had some other breeds as well, we know the mother was a purebred Golden but not sure if the father was purebred or mixed).  Very smart dog, extremely loyal too. He could be stubborn but he listened very well once trained and was pretty laid back.  Great dog, he made it to 16 years old before we had to put him down.

I've an Irish Wolfhound 

Standard Poodle 

Pugs x 4 

I also had a 

Deerhound

Mini Jackrussels 

Fox terriers 

And if you live in the countryside or have a garden I'd suggest the wolfhound  =D

Seriously if you ignore their size , they're the most chill dog , bond seriously well with their family , rarely bark but when they do jesus it honestly makes the ground shake and they're clean , ours required minimal house training 

If you want friendly, I recommend a lab. I currently have one and she is the sweetest dog I've ever met. As for exercise a short walk or tossing a tennis ball is usually all she needs to be tired.

6sqt0iD.jpg

Do they bark a lot though? I'm not looking for a guard dog so high alertness would drive me insane.

I've an Irish Wolfhound 

Standard Poodle 

Pugs x 4 

I also had a 

Deerhound

Mini Jackrussels 

Fox terriers 

And if you live in the countryside or have a garden I'd suggest the wolfhound  =D

Seriously if you ignore their size , they're the most chill dog , bond seriously well with their family , rarely bark but when they do jesus it honestly makes the ground shake and they're clean , ours required minimal house training

I'm in downtown city right now, but who knows where I'll be in a few years...

My cousin has a pair of Boston Terriers, they are ridiculous.  Goofy lookin', goofy acting, incredibly fun little dogs.

And my other cousin, well, she's a licensed breeder for Boxers.  Every few months I see a slew of pictures of a litter of Boxer puppies as they grow up.  Goddamnit are they cute and/or adorable.  Pity she's not within easy visitting distance, or I would go there and enact one of my dreams of being chased around by an adorable mob of puppies.

As for breeds, if you can handle a large breed (needs exercise/space), you can't do much better than a Lab or Retriever, especially if you have a family or small children.  I've met several of both breeds, both in the family and not, and I swear there isn't a SINGLE mean molecule in any of them.  Hell, my other cousin's Golden Lab (that they used to have) would let their toddler just climb all over him and treat him as rough as she wished.  He didn't care, he loved her.  Whenever they went to the park, if another large dog got too close, this Lab would put himself between her and the dog, even going so far as to growl, although he never attacked anything in her defense.  He was a gentle, kind dog, unfortunately he had hip issues thanks to his past owner and, eventually, they had to put him down as he was living with too much pain in his old age.

@Okeano, it depends how you raise them, as I understand it.  The lab in my story above?  He was a gentle, quiet beast.  He would bark, of course, when he got excited or when he was playing, but never constantly nor all that loudly. 

Basically, get them as a puppy, raise them right and treat them as family, and you will have yourself a best friend for life.

Just don't get a dog if you work a 9-5 job and have to leave them at home during the day.  That isn't fair to them.  If you have a spouse/SO/etc that stays home, fine, but don't get a dog if you live alone and aren't home during the day.

Weimaraner...

best_dog_na

Weimaraner3.jpg

Warning: They are called the velcro dogs for a reason. They are all up in your business. But not in a bad way.

Just don't get a dog if you work a 9-5 job and have to leave them at home during the day.  That isn't fair to them.  If you have a spouse/SO/etc that stays home, fine, but don't get a dog if you live alone and aren't home during the day.

If you do, find a really mellow, independent type of dog. Maybe something like a Greyhound? They are big couch potatoes. I got no idea.

+1 for a Shih Tzu. I have one named Kirk that's living with my mom for now. Sweetest thing. Doesn't require much maintenance if you keep his coat short, rarely barks, is very playful but not extremely energetic like one of those micro breeds. Very good for company and, if like me, you're not into exercise, the Shih Tzu usually tires quickly because of his breathing system and doesn't require a lot of exercise to stay fit. And as kitti said, he has no problem just lying next to us on the couch for hours and hours. Usually he dozes off and sleeps in very amusing positions.

Also very easy to train. At least mine is very obedient after some very simple training. Every time he is getting a treat he sits down in front of me or my mom, and won't take the treat from our hand if we don't say "good boy!"

He also got potty trained very quickly. Since both me and my mom live in apartments, we can't take him out to go to the bathroom, so he has his own "pads". He learned to use them in just a few weeks after we got him.

Do they bark a lot though? I'm not looking for a guard dog so high alertness would drive me insane.

Mine only barks at cats. She also gives a slight bark when anyone comes to the door. Kind of like a second doorbell. 

I've got a chocolate lab border collie mix, so it's a fun loving dog but she is also fairly smart... sometimes finds ways to get into our food

I'm in downtown city right now, but who knows where I'll be in a few years...

Well i did see a wolfhound website say they were ideal for apartments because they'll just sleep all day ,which is true but it'd still be a complete dick move keeping them locked up like that 

Standard Poodles are pretty cool , seriously intelligent,active but not hyper and if you give them the hunting clip they don't look half as stupid as the ones you normally see. Oh they also don't shed hair , none of ours ever barked but I know someone who had one that was a little yappy shit , that was a toy poodle though so it could have been the small dog mentality 

Oh +1 for don't get one if nobodys at home , get 2 , then they'll be happy out , they're a pack animal so it's pretty scabby to leave them alone but 2 together is perfectly fine 

Welp.

With a cat, that kind of thing is fine - cats are more independent, and generally won't take issue being left on their own for a while.  Dogs though... they tend to be more reliant on you.  It can be different depending on the dog itself of course, but from what I've seen... most don't like it much.  They get rather lonely.

We put our dog outside during the day when none of us will be home during the day.  She rather enjoys it since she usually relaxes outside during the day anyway.  

Though if you're looking to adopt a puppy, I would only recommend if you or someone can be with it the majority of the day. 

That's true about cats and dogs. When my mom moved, we decided that Kirk should go with her since she'll be able to spend more time with him, as at the time I had a day job and college at night. So I decided to get a cat for myself. Despite the problems described in my venting thread, it's been a good experience, she is a very sweet cat.

My personal experience with a Shih Tzu is that they can settle into a routine that involves being alone for several hours. They tend to be more independent, but it's still good to give him plenty of attention when you arrive home.

What if... I get 2?

I'd recommend it if they will be alone for long periods of time. Still in this case older dogs would be better, as puppies require much more specific attention and care.

Be prepared for lots of mischief if my experience is the norm. 

Yeah, don't get too attached to your furniture/pillows/shoes you leave out, and maybe get used to cleaning up garbage (or keep your bins within cupboards).

But yeah, getting two would help that issue.  It would be more of a commitment from you though, when you're with them.  Double the dog, double the work - but also double the love.