Yeah, don't get too attached to your furniture/pillows/shoes you leave out, and maybe get used to cleaning up garbage (or keep your bins within cupboards).

Came home from exams one day and they had found where we keep all the old newspaper. The entire living room floor was nothing but newspaper shreds. 

German Shorthaired Pointer. 

Seriously she's the best retriever/pointer I've ever owned and i love her more than i like most people. Very loyal dog.   

Ps. I didn't get her tail docked so when she wags its hilarious. 

Just don't get a dog if you work a 9-5 job and have to leave them at home during the day.  That isn't fair to them.  If you have a spouse/SO/etc that stays home, fine, but don't get a dog if you live alone and aren't home during the day.

Bullshit. I have raised many a happy dog working a 9-5 job. Now... I had dog doors most of that time, but not always. Don't get a dog just to have a dog, because they need attention, and the RIGHT kind of attention (and what is RIGHT depends alot on the dog) but to say that no dog will be happy if you work is crap. My buddy has a 1/2 GSD 1/2 Wolf cross that does JUST fine on his own. Best behaved dog in the world. (which with  1/2 wolf is pretty much required..... you cannot let the training go slack on that dog)

I just burried my last GSD before I moved to NYC... so at the farm we have: 2 Great Pyranees. (not a dog for you unless you have livestock to keep them busy) 1 Mutt (part malmuate, part something with a a brindle coat.... maybe some mastiff cause it is STOCKY as hell) Great sled puller.... dumb as rocks... freindly as hell. Kid cimbs all over it and he takes it. Wife just adopted another GSD that is recovering from cancer surgery. This dog has some minor issues and my wife isn't enough of a dog trainer to fix them... I would have no problems.. but she is struggleing.

I've owned a Husky. Great dog. Do not own if you aren't ready to put in 2-3 miles a day twice a day for the next 7-10 years. Even my GSDs demanded 3 miles 2 times a day until they hit 7 (then it was down to 1 mile 2 times a day) or they would go eat shoes, couches, whatever. And the problem with a GSD is its smart enough to go, "Fuck you, you didn't walk me, Eat shit and die". It will NOT feel remorse if you broke the deal. The husky will feel bad it tore the house up, but won't be able to control itself.... they are great dogs, but eternal 4 year olds.

Labs, Golden Reteiver, Irish Setter, Standard Poodles... these are all great starter dogs. Really.. any retiever is a good call. Smart enough to train but not driven like the working dog classes. I LOVE the working dogs... but its a serious comittment.

Why should you listen to me? I learned to train dogs from a lady who used to train them for the Air Force. My dogs behave.

Multiple dogs: I approve. Dogs need freinds. You are not its freind... you are the alpha. Full stop. So either its lots and lots of trips to the dog park (which is a good idea anyway) or 2 or more dogs.

My wife had 3 when we got married and I had 2... she put the 3 legged one up for adoption because that dog didn't have ANY back down in her and my GSD male WAS going to kill her if she didn't learn she wasn't the alpha anymore. Allie found a great home up north in Michigan... in fact, the episode on Animal Planet in Detroit where the found Allie with her Gun shot wound and KB adopted her still runs as a rerun.

At one point we had 7 dogs on our farm. That was too dman many, but we do have  7 acres. We didn't WANT 7 dogs... but we took in a freinds dog while she (person) underwent chemo. 4 pet dogs and 2 barn dogs. The Barn Dogs have since convinced us that the stuff we read about Great Pyranees was all wrong and the GP's that live in the house will still run out and kick the crap out of Coyotes that try to eat my lambs.

I have a Shih Tzu named Missy(Thanks Mom) and she is the cutest bundle of energy. Or perfectly lazy. She jumps around, then lies down on her bed like nothing happened. She also spazzes out whenever our doorbell rings, or if the TV show makes a doorbell noise. Low maintenance, and only pooped inside for 5 weeks before she learned that we go outside.

What if... I get 2?

This is what I did. Now have a 6 year old female, and a 2 year old male golden retriever. Again, probably the friendliest dogs you will ever run into, but holy hell that 2 year old energy. He will literally run himself out chasing balls

I've had Rottweilers for years now, after having Labs, and various hunting hounds. I will never again be without a Rottweiler, my buddy Bear is right here at my side. I do wish I did not have to

leave him at home by himself, but after a short time, he became good with it. I had him for almost 3 years when I took a full time job with a major corporation because my business was slow.

Bear was not happy with it, but he's okay with it now. The worst thing about Rottweilers is that they only live about 10-12 years.

I used to have an Alaskan Malamute, 151 pounds of muscle and always looking for ways to put it to use (epic wrestling matches). Totally food oriented. Oh my gawd, the shedding...

209_zpsef09fe6d.jpg

After dealing with that, the new dog is a much more manageable 36 pound Welsh Corgi. Endless energy when we are home, but has no problem sleeping all day while we're at work. Frighteningly intelligent with huge vocabulary, and deceptively strong since he's a solid ball of muscle from the constant tug-o-war matches.

267735_10150325195370801_3353139_n_zpsf3

267575_10150325194680801_5751637_n_zps1e

I've heard that a good low-maintenance dog for small apartments are Great Danes, as they are the ultimate couch potatoes with no real interest in getting exercise. I've picked up a few strays and they are the most laid-back dogs I've ever seen.

Which is the one in your profile picture :P

I'm guessing the first dog in the second last picture.

That's the one!  He's twelve years old now.  The avatar pic is from when he was about seven years old.  He's a big, happy 120 lb. giant golden.

We've had dogs in the house since before I was born.

Dachshunds

Welsh Corgi

Rottweiler

German Shepherd

Great Dane

Pit bull

Australian Shepherd

I can't say much for dogs living in town even when we did live in town we had a pretty big backyard. Currently living on two acres of land with a full apple orchard behind our property including a pond.

Short haired Dachshunds and Corgis are generally easy to take care of. You just need to take care of their weight which is easy we just use a measuring cup and do general walks around the orchard once in a while. The Corgis need to be brushed once in a while, while the short haired wieners you can't even find the hair until you sweep.

My favorite dog growing up had to be the Rottweiler. She never gave us any real problem other then killing 15 chickens but that was more human error then her fault. Would get one again but we have a Dachshund and a deaf/half blind pit bull and that's all we can really deal with for now.   

Hovawart:

Helos_11.jpg

Great personality, loyal, usually doesn't give a shit about anything. Until someone unknown steps on your property - much woof.

Belgian Shepherd (also known as the Malinois):

BelgianMaliniosIM001948.JPG

Really, really energetic dog. Mine has grey hairs on her face, and she still runs around like she did when she was 2 years old. Loves you to death; mine is not so much of a guard dog though.

Cats won't/can't do this.

Twilight (named after Twilight Sparkle from MLP and not the shit Vamp movie) and Starbuck (named after Kara Thrace on BSG).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njbh0Za_9dU&list=UUzTjwQnDxaToJyNooEjqQ2w&feature=share

Weimaraner...

best_dog_na

Weimaraner3.jpg

Warning: They are called the velcro dogs for a reason. They are all up in your business. But not in a bad way.

If you do, find a really mellow, independent type of dog. Maybe something like a Greyhound? They are big couch potatoes. I got no idea.

Got an uncle in Michigan who breeds (bred) these. And yes. very affectionate, and fantastic birders.