Hi beloved community.  

Since Navy upgraded his rig from:

Tank-01-june.gif

to

tank.gif

I've been a little jelly and thinking of getting busy my self.

Here is what I have:
-GTX 460 (768MB DDR5)
-Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz
-8GB of DDR2 1066 (4x2gb)
-EVGA P55 LE 123-LF-E653-KR LGA1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard 
-1000w power supply (plenty of plower, but this thing is old.)
-Western Digital Caviar Black WD10000LSRTL 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive
-Big case. 

Bought the rig second hand from a friend when he moved to London, installed the GTX 460 about 2 years ago. Everything runs fine still, but this was basically high-end stuff 4 years ago and lately the quarter second lag when a new tank is spotted in WoT or during intense action has been bothering me. Also, copy of windows 7x64bit is probably not legit. 

I don't need top-end performance or ultra graphics, just a good set up that will get me through the next few years. Are there some glaring weaknesses you see here?  Is anything salvageable?  I was looking at Belial's setups at various income levels which was really useful-I might just spring for one of his options. Right now I have about $500 I can throw into upgrades, by the end of the month and with a bit of my tax return I could probably bump that to $800+. Or does it sound like I should just start from scratch given that everything is bordering on "vintage" and may be a liability if I keep it. 

I am like a 4/10 in computer sophistication. I can throw new hardware in, but have never set up a mobo.

Many thanks guys. 

EDIT: Just saw Belial's earlier posts were edited out. Did I get in over my head by posting here?

That's a pretty well balanced PC.  Hard to upgrade one thing without bottlenecking somewhere else.

I'd repurpose the system (home theater perhaps?) and plan a new build.

Otherwise, CPU/mobo/RAM would be the first step up.  The system will then bottleneck on the GTX 460 in many games, topping out similar to current performance. 

I don't need top-end performance or ultra graphics, just a good set up that will get me through the next few years.

Sadly, any step forward you take from what you have (except maybe the GPU) would require you to buy more than just a couple of things.

Your MoBo+CPU+RAM combination is all pretty old, and moving to something new means you'll have to buy all 3 of those components, which isn't exactly cheap. Not sure if you are up for that or not. It means buying parts and putting them together yourself if you want to save up some cash that way.

Either way, your budget is more than enough to cover what's needed.

[EDIT]

Here, this is a list for a VERY nice gaming computer that will last you several years:

wqk1s9u.png

Keep in mind, you'll find better prices somewhere else, I made this in Amazon only because it was quick to find stuff there. You can also go with a cheaper GPU, but if you have the money then spend it there, that's where most games nowadays eat up your hardware.

The only other thing I can tell you is that your power supply might not work with that new MoBo. You'll have to check the pin connectors for the 12v cable and see if there are only 4 there. If the answer is yes, then you'll probably have to buy a new one.

Great, thanks for the tips. 

Agree that Mobo-CPU-Ram seems like a decent place to start as well considering budget, can then feed a new  GPU in later when I have time and scratch.

I am just a bit gunshy about putting that all in my self, but maybe I can rope in a tech savvy friend to give me a hand. 

You can keep using your GPU for as long as you need to, it's not "bad" just not "great".

As for putting it all together yourself, there are billions of videos in Youtube that can teach you all the basics you need. It's not rocket science honestly. If it isn't color coded then it only fits in a single thing, pretty simple :thumbup:

Thanks man.  How does this look for ~$500?

RAM : Ballistix 16gb DDR3 http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.aspx?sku=404707

CPU: i5 4670 http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.aspx?sku=583302

Mobo (?) No idea on this.  Know I need 1155 compatible. If I bundle this (http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.aspx?sku=737635) with the above processor you save an extra $20 beans.  

I'm no expert but I've built my own and done some upgrades and I think it'd be best just to live with it as long as you want and then start from scratch when it's upgrade time. Upgrading isn't overly worthwhile unless there's just one component that isn't running as the same level as the others, you end up dropping hundreds for small improvements. You could use that rig for other stuff or just cannibalize whatever transfers over like the case, HDD, whatever.

I've played the upgrade game over the years and in the long run I've come to the conclusion I would have been better off to just buy new PCs rather than nickel and diming older ones.

Also, look up PC Gamer's PC builder guide. That's what I used when I finally manned up and built my own and it guided me well. Barely fried anything.

RAM : Ballistix 16gb DDR3 http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.aspx?sku=404707

Mobo (?) No idea on this.  Know I need 1155 compatible. If I bundle this (http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.aspx?sku=737635) with the above processor you save an extra $20 beans.  

RAM: You don't really "need" 16GB, it's not bad to have that much, but there is no actual need for more than 12GB (I would stop at 8GB if you are on a budget) at this point in time for any game IMO. It would save you some money that way.

CPU: perfect, and even cheaper than the Amazon picture I posted above.

MoBo: ugh... mini ITX, I would go with a full ITX if you can afford it. Reasons? Several, mostly due to airflow around components (believe me, heat will be a problem with some games), but also because for gaming computers stuff usually takes a lot of space (have you ever seen the actual size of a good GPU?) and mini ITX MoBos tend to cram everything in there. It could work just fine... I just... ugh...

Check this one out: http://www.microcenter.com/product/387554/Z77_Extreme4_Socket_LGA_1155_Z77_ATX_Intel_Motherboard

More expensive, but it leaves you with a lot of breathing room for improvements. You can even put 2 4GB RAM modules and still have space for another 2 modules (to take it up to 16GB) whenever you get some more cash.

Thanks man. That puts me right on track for the $500 (excepting the GPU of course). Mobos are really a dark area for me, but I am sure I could find something close there.

Current GPU sounds like it is a good stopgap for the time being and sticking to 12mb Ram lets me save a little more scratch.  I have a microcenter right by me so its easy to get into those in store deals. 

Jesse- I am tempted to go that route too with all the other bells and whistles in this thing. But this sounds like a fun weekend project here.  Just stream how-to videos on the ipad for an afternoon. 

No, i5 4670 is an LGA1150 device.  You need an LGA1150 mobo for that processor.

^ He is right, got there following links without double checking myself. Anyways, make sure your CPU and MoBo have the same socket type.

Also, I don't know why, but I've always liked ASRock stuff over Gigabyte's... somehow they just look "better" to me. Haven't really done any research to compare both.

If you're looking at Intel chips and ever unsure of what the specific specs, features, socket types, etc. are, I'd suggest using Intel ARK ( http://ark.intel.com/ ). It also has a comparison tool as well so you can compare two CPUs and easily see what the differences are. 

Here is the list of parts I have chosen for myself, and it looks like you are looking for the same thing.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2PfzS

I just got a Sandisk 256GB ssd for 129$  :smallsmile:

The fractal design r4 case is what I chose because it is sexy, has a window, is pretty wide for a mid tower, has GREAT reviews, good, cooling, and has built is noise dampening material.  Or you can keep your old case.

If you planned to SLI in the future you could get a large PSU but I do not plan to.

This system should scream with a decent overclock. and it's only 1,500$ if you bought everything on the list.

Savings

You already have the WD black HDD -89$ (but you probably want a clean install of windows 64 so probly want to wipe after you save everything non windows related)

You already have the power supply (check as you said it's old) -130$-250$ depending on size.

You only "need" 8 GB of ram but 2x8GB is the best for upgrades later..BUT to benefit from 8 gb they run as dual channel so 16GB is optimum.  So I justified the 16GB in my mind.

The Asus Maximus Hero is the highest rated/with the most reviews socket 1150/z87 board on newegg. 

Asus has an easy to navigate BIOS and in these videos you can see how easy it is.

This video is awesome..Asus has done a ton of work towards making overlocking easy for everyone..their software will analyze your system and then start at around 4.3 and keep bumping up the overclock till it fails...then pick a stable speed and continue optimizing.

And sorry about my other posts..was getting annoyed.

Edit:  I just bought these parts.

neweggorder_zps0086d963.png

Sadly, any step forward you take from what you have (except maybe the GPU) would require you to buy more than just a couple of things.

Your MoBo+CPU+RAM combination is all pretty old, and moving to something new means you'll have to buy all 3 of those components, which isn't exactly cheap. Not sure if you are up for that or not. It means buying parts and putting them together yourself if you want to save up some cash that way.

Either way, your budget is more than enough to cover what's needed.

[EDIT]

Here, this is a list for a VERY nice gaming computer that will last you several years:

wqk1s9u.png

Keep in mind, you'll find better prices somewhere else, I made this in Amazon only because it was quick to find stuff there. You can also go with a cheaper GPU, but if you have the money then spend it there, that's where most games nowadays eat up your hardware.

The only other thing I can tell you is that your power supply might not work with that new MoBo. You'll have to check the pin connectors for the 12v cable and see if there are only 4 there. If the answer is yes, then you'll probably have to buy a new one.

tbh I really don't see wy he needs to spend $200 on a mobo. For what he has set up he could just get a Z87-A (or go 3rd gen i5 and get a Z77-A for much cheaper with not a very noticeable performance drop).

Personally I have a 3570k & Z77-A mobo combo that comes out at around $300 vs $430. It really won't make enough difference to justify the cost.

Awesome Bel, Navy and everyone, thanks for the feedback.  Everyone's given me a great start.  Also just found out from a friend that my PSU, while putting out a big 1000w, has some bad power ripples:

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/power_supply/hec_compucase_cougar_1000cm_modular_psu/4

So will likely replace that with a lower output, higher quality piece while I am at it. Sounds like we're settled on the CPU, I'll dig a bit more on the mobos and see if I can get some actual information between the microcenter guys trying to upsell me on the bigger parts. 

Haven't read every post so might be repeating what's already been said however that's a good thing if it re-enforces it right? :D

Here is what I have:

-GTX 460 (768MB DDR5)
-Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz
-8GB of DDR2 1066 (4x2gb)
-EVGA P55 LE 123-LF-E653-KR LGA1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard 
-1000w power supply (plenty of plower, but this thing is old.)
-Western Digital Caviar Black WD10000LSRTL 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive
-Big case. 

Salvage:

• Big case
  • 1kW PSU
  • HDD
  • GTX 460

New:

• CPU/Mobo/Ram combo (the most important part of internet tanks)
  • GPU
  • SSD (for boot and ultra responsive tanks... this isn't a massive necessity)
  • Modular PSU if you have the budget, again not a massive necessity.

Thoughts on what to buy:

I'm going to come at this with thoughts on future proofing, not budget. I'd also argue saving up for another month to do it right rather than half arse it, personal taste on my part though. :)

CPU I'd pick would be the i5-3570k as it's unlocked and therefore you can OC when your system's performance is degrading (mine lasted 2 years before I chose to do this)

For the Motherboard, well I'm an ASUS fanboy, so ASUS P8Z77 or any variant of, might take a bit of research. (enabled OC for CPU and GPU... forget about OCing ram, that's for tomatoes.)

RAM: 2x4gb corsair vengeance @ 1600MHz. Standard equipment on any build really, however I'd definitely 100% make sure it's low profile for CPU cooling purposes.

Storage is a bit of a pain, if you want to copy over every file from your old HDD then you'll copy over the junk too, however installing a brand new OS, graphics drivers, files etc took me more time than to fully build my comp. If you get an SSD my god you'll see the difference, not so sure about how much of an improvement a new HDD would be though.

I *think* your 460 will run WoT pretty well, considering I've run a single 560 for 3 years now, if you were to upgrade however, GTX760/70 would be a solid option and allow you to play more advanced games at higher FPS. WoT is pretty much determined on CPU power, not sure how much that will change when the Havok engine is implemented though.

SSD, PSU and if you want, a new case: Corsair are strong manufactures of all. (Give me a shout if you want some more info on them and I'll happily research products/prices a bit more.)

When it comes down to building this I'd suggest you thoroughly clean your case with a can or two of compressed air, you'll want to strip it clean in order to do so. Defrag your HDD and run CCleaner on it too. Finally I'd like to mention positive air flow in the case (basically more air is taken into the case (through fans with filters) than exhaused out of it, therefore air carrying dust won't be able to get into your case as it's always trying to escape, if you get my drift) but that requires buying new fans and tends to be a bit of a hassle...

... also helps to install said fans in the right way, I mean, who'd not get that right, eh? >_>

Edit: Pastebin not working so here are the products I was thinking of. I have done no research on that SSD, was just looking for a cheap benchmark.

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9 $87

ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS $130
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K $230
SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $90
Total: $536.96

Here's my advice for an $800 build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2QPbk

Save the case and optical drive.

I have the same mobo/CPU combo, only complaint is that there are some features I would have liked to see in asus AI suite II software, but other than that, it's cheap, and it works.

If you don't plan on OC'ing, just go with an i5-3570 instead and save $20ish bucks.

I just bought all this for 1,242$  http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2PCIC

Could SLI 770's and get a bigger PSU 3-4 years from now and still run ultra...or run high res now.

Were 768mb Gtx 460 Bros  :thumbup:  I love my 460 to death and its still a fine piece of hardware after 3 years. The only major problems I have been running into is drivers not working and the lack of memory for higher texture settings in games. I can still play most games at low-med settings which is fine for me. For an upgrade I would suggest a 760 or a 660ti. Those will pretty much play max or high in almost all games when included with a new ivy bridge processor.

On a budget, you should never spend more than $200 on a mobo. Any $150 you find is plenty fine. I have an $80ish dollar one :S 

Make sure you get low profile memory. Dont want it to not fit underneath your cpu cooler. 8+ GB is recommended. A fantastic case that is very high quality for the price is the Bitfenix Shinobi. The Coolermaster HAF 912 is also great for the price. It may be a little outdated nowadays with USB 3.0 and such. 

If you are still considering the build, I just bought an i7 4770k from Microcenter for $250 and the Z-87 Pro mobo was $139 after rebate and store package discount.  Mind you this has to be picked up in store, can't be shipped.  

FWIW an often overlooked area on system building is cable management.  If possible the newer round cables should be used instead of ribbon cables (less resistance to airflow) and try to route cable runs around the edges of the case instead of across (for the same reason).  If building from scratch look for yokes that are long enough to go around at least 2 long sides of your case, this means that no matter where a plug is located on your mobo (or drive mount point) you should be able to go shortest route to the edge and around to the PSU or connector point.

Necroing this thread to finally announce:

My new Machine and first build!  Spent the better part of the last 24 hours and a bit north of $700 for:

Samsung 120gb SSD

New copy Windows 8

i5-4690K 3.5GHz LGA 1150 Processor

Z97-Gaming 5 1150ATX mobo

Corsair CX600M PSU

8GB Ballistix 1600 DDR3 (2x4gb)

New optical

Recycled parts:
-GTX 460

-Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower 

Loving the new mobo, will never go back now that I've tasted SSD as well. Have not had the chance to install much yet, but loving this machine and walking on sunshine knowing I built this thing out of an old, dusty mid-tower. 

Many thanks to everyone who weighed in here with advice and suggestions you represent all that is good with the internet.  Wish I could dole out more rep! Merci mille fois!