Agamemneon

What helps new posters the most?

What helped the most when you first started here?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What sort of aid helped you the most?

• General gameplay/metagame discussions
    • Tank and gameplay guides
    • Replays
    • Other
  2. 2. Have you watched Purple replays posted in threads?

• Yes, but it didn't do a lot
    • Yes, and it was very helpful
    • No/not enough to make a difference
  3. 3. What format do you prefer for guides and replay analyses?

• Text
    • Audio/video

This is mainly aimed at the yellow and green players when they first came to the WoTLabs forums. Many people post up introductions saying they've been reading for a while, they've learned so much, excited to be here etc. but I want to know what it is that you find/found the most helpful to start improving. With all the improvement guides, tank guides, metagame discussions, replays, replay reviews, etc. what is it that helped you the most when you first started reading? What did it actually do for you? 

Can you think of any person's guides or discussion threads that were particularly helpful?

What type of aid did you read that wasn't much use to you?

What do you think there should be more of on the forum that would help new readers at the red/yellow/green skill levels?

I think the thing that helps me the most is watching a replay that either the purple player has commented on with how and why he did the things he did.  Also, watching someone else's replay where the purple player reviewed and gave suggestions/critiques.  

Bottom line.  What I think helps me the most is trying to get into the mind of purple players sense I don't personally know any that I can group up with.

All of the other info helps, but I think all of the stats on tanks with armor/penetration values can be a little overwhelming initially.

Oh, and this article was awesome.  I think it was the most helpful and I would love to see more stuff like this.  Thanks to Garbad and RBS to take the time to make things like this available.

http://rocketbrainsurgeon.com/unicum-diaries-amx-13-90-scout-teeth/

I think the thing that helps me the most is watching a replay that either the purple player has commented on with how and why he did the things he did.  Also, watching someone else's replay where the purple player reviewed and gave suggestions/critiques.  

Bottom line.  What I think helps me the most is trying to get into the mind of purple players sense I don't personally know any that I can group up with.

This /\/\

I would have to say starting out watching replays probably helped me the most. I did read a lot, and watching the replays I could see the prinicples put into action.

I remember watching a ton of Death Arrows - WoT am I Thinking series. I really enjoyed it that because he would walk thru his battles explaing his moves and what he is doing. Replays are nice but to hear why he is doing what he is doing was a ton more helpful then just watching a silent replay. I know it would be a big effort but to hear skilled unicorns talk thru their thought process while in battle would be great I think.

I've found the most effective way (for my improvement) to improve is to watch replays.  Specifically, one of the most useful video series i've watched has got to be Anfield's position lab.  Once I got good at noticing things on the minimap and got better at reacting, I found that I got even better when I combined that with going to good positions for particular tanks.

In other words, I first learned perception/awareness, then I learned the best places to go on the map.  As crazy as that sounds.  The most effective way to learn/get better, for me, is hands down watching replays.

Replays and tank discussions helped me a lot with my initial deployment and positioning. Before I play a tank I always look for replays of that tank or a similar tank to see how people play it. When I first started out I also looked at replays on most of the maps to see how good players positioned themselves.

A lot of the high level discussion about carrying and being relevant were very helpful too. I particularly liked Garbad's posts about "keeping your gun hot" and setting the tempo yourself. Just becoming aware of basic things like that made the biggest difference.

The only real problem that I see is that it can be hard to navigate to the information you need since everything is in the forum format. And for every good post there's another that's just drivel.

The main obstacle I feel, is just putting the info on here into practice in-game, which takes time and can be quite daunting. I personally benefited a lot from players, who were much better than me when I first started, that were willing to pick me up on the Wotlabs channel.

Honestly since I have joined this forum I haven't really improved.

For me, watching the replays with no commentary doesn't do much.  I see someone who is awesome, but I don't understand why.  They shoot, I shoot.  They pen, i pen.  I can't grok what the difference is.

When I watch a replay with commentary, where someone explains, "I saw this, so I did that." I understand the thought process.  I think the key to the game is not the fast twitch, but being able to understand where and when you should be someplace.

I watch good/great players and they run to one flank, take 3 shots, run to another flank, kill a flank, run middle and stop a push.  That's amazing, but if they aren't sharing the cues they use to determine when they flex, it doesn't do me much good.

I'm not very bright though and need things laid out for me.

Really enjoy the articles and various discussions on skills and tank layouts, but that's stuff that makes a small difference.  The guides and commented replays were what really got me.

The problem with the replays with commentary is that they're a bit time consuming to do. I've done a couple of those before (examples here and ). I'd be willing to expand on other games if someone makes a request in my replay thread, time allowing.

I think the single biggest thing that helped me was platooning with people better then me. They were able to point out a lot of the retarded things I was doing, and showed me good map spots, good deployment, etc. Other then that, I would say game guides/commented replays were also very helpful.

Applying Dissidence's guide helped me push into yellow from red. After that I have no idea what happened. I think a good deal of it is figuring out how positions work out on your own, and finding your own approaches to maps.

I remember joining WoTLabs, starting to care about stats, and reading random posts on WoTLabs helped me improve from an orange tomato to a yellow overall/recent bluegreen over time.

Particular stuff I remember that helped me (in no particular order)

• A replay by Worstplayer_NA in a E-25 on Severogorsk
  • A replay by Rexxie in a KV-3 on Siegfried Line
  • Okeano's guide on where not to go on maps
  • RocketBrainSurgeon
  • Can I has Tanks Related Question?

I'm still a baddie

"What type of aid did you read that wasn't much use to you?"

• replays (although you don't read them)

I did some reading here and there, but practice had the largest impact I think.

I play very differently than my two friends in my "clan", but we're all pretty similar stat-wise.  One of them heavily favours (69% tanks she played are American) hull-down tactics with American tanks, while the other uses copious amounts of German and French stuff.  I'm the only one who uses any notable amount of Soviet and Chinese stuff, and the only one who doesn't play arty.

There's more than one way to do well in this game, and I think learning from your own mistakes is probably the best way to improve.

I actually found this site when I was still under 1000 games played, and was definitely Red at the time. I'm up to yellow now, and still on the improve.

I play a lot of Lights and Mediums, and initially got a lot out of RBS Guide to staying alive, which did a good of explaining a lot of different mechanics.

I devoured all of the information in here:

Then I got a lot out of some replays by dualmaster, jacqg (sp?), sr360 and Garbad.

All in all I'd say I'm in the strange position where I have all of this knowledge at my disposal, but my skills often aren't up to the task of implementing that knowledge. I'm still terrible at shooting and getting shots off.

Based on feedback, it seems that resources helping you get into the mind of a purple is the thing that's most helpful and least available... I have a new program on my mind for thorough personal replay breakdowns/analyses. I'd like to see more feedback on what everyone considers the most helpful, anyone else interested in helping around the forum will benefit from information too.

Also, do you prefer text or video/audio guides and analyses? Added that to poll.

The thing that made the biggest difference for me when I joined here was the T49 appreciation thread and other discussions about camo/vision mechanics.

Learning the places that I can invisitank from has helped me tremendously in avoidance of being invisitanked.

Hi,

this forum is somewhat guilty to my improvement in the last 1500 battles. Joined at 9th of January, my stats do really reflect this date. Most helpful at all is the kind of mindset in which you're playing this game. Ignoring the Pubs (that means also me :) ), searching the faults by yourself, don't take excuses for failing and such things.

Beside this really important thing, i can only subscribe the things always said. Replays are helpful (last i looked the e50m Replays, can't remember the player, but really eyeopening). Comments on Replays are even better. And twitch is also really nice.

Only thing i miss is playing with some of you guys, but most of you are from NA, so this is difficult. Maybe i found some European guy to platoon and pointing me in the right directions. I think this is also a very good way to improve.

Bye

Tareb

Thanks for this.  Replays are very insightful...I have watched several and they do help.  Videos of said replays with commentary as to "...this is why I did such and such"  and "I went over here because of XYZ" are also very beneficial and perhaps the best method, at least for me.  A text write up with indications on a map are good to start from but I think the most bang for the buck is videos of replays with explanations.  FYI, I am interested in making videos and have that technology, as I know many of you do, but I would be willing to help if there is interest (i.e. you have a great great replay but you don't have time to capture it...what have you).

Just a note - if you find something particularly helpful (replay, commentary, guide, etc) it's worthwhile to let the writer know it.  Don't be bashful! I know I'm much more likely to add more content if I know it is actually helping someone.

After reading posts on this thread, I guess I'm making a huge mistake not using replays to learn.  Usually when I browse to learn, I'm in class or somewhere else I can't play, so it's easier to just read a text guide.  But I think I'll start looking at some replays, anyone have any particular replays they would recommend?  I saw Eagle_Peak post some.

After reading posts on this thread, I guess I'm making a huge mistake not using replays to learn.  Usually when I browse to learn, I'm in class or somewhere else I can't play, so it's easier to just read a text guide.  But I think I'll start looking at some replays, anyone have any particular replays they would recommend?  I saw Eagle_Peak post some.

Go to the Purple Poster Replay section, lots of good replays have been posted there.

Seconding the T49 appreciation thread   , that really helped me get my head around vision control, along with I also found the map guide section of this thread very useful, as one of the things I struggle with is positioning. Definitely helps! This crew skills guide really helped as well,  had no idea what I was at before thread on the US forums also helped immensely, particularly point 2 (enlarge your minimap) http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/168773-10-basic-tips-to-improve-your-performance/page__fromsearch__1  I had played through the M10 and on to the M36/M18 before finding this resource, played them all terribly. I bought the T49 after lurking here a while, doing far better in that!

3 T49 TD US 5 199 65.83% 4 M10 Wolverine TD US 5 193 50.78%

EDIT: Also in this thread,  the line "always keep your gun in play" really stuck with me. I realise damage isn't everything, but at my level chasing it has definitely helped me win and survive more.