rocketbrainsurgeon

Airfield - a tale of 2 ledges by Wercho

The guide would be great if it weren't for the fact that the map has been changed (will be changed? can't remember if the changes came on this patch), iirc they placed obtacles that won't let you shoot to the hill in the middle from E7.

To be honest I have yet to see the map changes myself, only saw pictures in FTR, but if that's the case, then the usefulness of that spot was greatly diminished.

[EDIT]

Just looked it up on FTR and I think I may have been talking out of my ass... seems like the changes were pretty small.

This is for discussing Airfield - a tale of 2 ledges by Wercho

Good article.  Be nice to include what tanks are most effective there. I usually go to both with slower mediums or light armored heavies (ie 50 100).  Heavier tanks I use my armor peek a booming E6 hopefully in concert with someone shoot/scoot on the ledges.  Faster tanks, depending on team composition, I play the northern ridge or just screw around on the hill. 

Good article.  Be nice to include what tanks are most effective there. I usually go to both with slower mediums or light armored heavies (ie 50 100).  Heavier tanks I use my armor peek a booming E6 hopefully in concert with someone shoot/scoot on the ledges.  Faster tanks, depending on team composition, I play the northern ridge or just screw around on the hill. 

Anything with enough speed to make it there before the main force from the other team gets to E5/E7 would do. The problem for anyone slow is that you'll have a hard time going up to those ledges, you'll probably be shot on the side by at least one guy trying to go across that area.

Be nice to include what tanks are most effective there.

Good point. CAMN pretty much said it. You need to be in a tank that is fast enough to get there before the other team sets up to cover it, and I find that most mediums and fast heavies can manage as long as you don't spawn in the far south. Gun depression also helps with shooting south, but isn't as needed. Camo is also useful for getting the first shot from the bushes on the ledges, but again, not essential, especially if you have good aim time.

The guide would be great if it weren't for the fact that the map has been changed (will be changed? 

Just looked it up on FTR and I think I may have been talking out of my ass... seems like the changes were pretty small.

Yeah, the most significant change I've seen is the E6 rock got a bit bigger so it gives more protection, particularly from tanks positioned on the B line.

those ledges are my go-to in nearly any tank that can get there before risking side shots on the climb. I do miss the secret squirrel ramps into the north hills, though.

Excellent read. A lot of guides regarding general map strategies can be found on wotlabs, but this type of in-depth analysis of specific advantageous positions is new to me.

Moar plix :)

Let's hope we don't find 5-7 tanks up there now.

Agreed. I put in a note at the end about 2 maximum, but that requires people to read to the end.