I'm going to have to disagree here, Especially the bolded part. I hit 54% solo pubbing before I got involved in the forums and start really platooning with people. I'd maybe platoon ~20 out of my 100 matches a week with my dad. It will be hard to push past 56/58% by soloing, but you can make it to 55%. He's not going to have to live with his 49% WR if he's not platooning or TCs. There are a bunch of unicums that solopub most of the time, I've heard of a bunch of 58%ers that do as well.

Yup, I was at 55% from almost completely solo pubbing. I had maybe platoon what.. 10 games out of 6000? Here I am another 6k games later and only at 57 -_-. I need to stop soloing.

I've never thought of 49% as any sort of wall, not even 50%, generally I see a lot more 45%'ers, 47%'ers and 52/53%'ers than 48-50%, 49% seems like it's just a transition spot between ~47% and 52+%

I totally understand your point and you're correct... people can go well over 50% solo... I wasnt speaking generally... i was specifically saying that the OP wouldnt make it over 50% on his own give his stats and current record of solo play. The OP specifically needs to platoon up and if hes not prepared to do that then he should learn to live with 49%.

This statement confuses me, it is essentially saying that improvement is impossible. Why wouldn't OP be able to get above 50%? I see no reason why he/she couldn't.

Hey, some tips that were given to me to break my 49% wall:

-Accompany someone else (preferably someone with low mobility but high firepower) to support him. That way your contribution to the battlefield becomes alot more meaningful (teamplay!) Even if the person in question isn't a good player, his performance will increase drastically (usually) because you are there to support him, and in turn, you might get support too that way. This effect gets even higher if it's in a platoon.

-Learn to survive, I'm still struggling with this as well, but it's a majort hint if you're prone to dying early. A gun that lives, is always an extra gun for when the battle comes to an end. When enganging someone, make sure you got a way to back out in case you miscalculate the opposition/resistance.

-Aim & hit: Know when to shoot, Trying to hit a tiny part of a tank sticking out cover tends to be unproductive, wasting shots. Don't go for the trick of *If I shoot near him, he'll remain in cover*, missed shots intimidate nobody. Rather wait till he exposes enough for a solid hit, this can require some patience. Also, aim for tracks if your gun can't harm him reliably, an immobile tank is always a good target, and in the worst case, you make him spend a repairkit.

While subjective, this observation has some merit. Playstyle between peak-hours and low activity-hours will differ, simply because of the number of players avaible. Morning players do seem to be more into teamplay in my observation, allowing for more fun games. This is a subjective observation on my part however, and not a fact.

Hmm for the SEA server, I find that around 2pm to 4pm & after 2am are bad times to play, in terms of teammates and enemies. I would rather be thrown in a game with mostly yellows and above, even if xvm judges the win chance to be under 30%. Around those timings however, I see mostly reds on tiers 6 to 9. It's just a personal observation though, don't quote me on this :)

And yea, I used to just take hits indiscriminately (and sometimes still do), but nowadays I rather avoid getting shot at all than to risk attempting to bounce by angling (gold ammo > angling lol)

I've never thought of 49% as any sort of wall, not even 50%, generally I see a lot more 45%'ers, 47%'ers and 52/53%'ers than 48-50%, 49% seems like it's just a transition spot between ~47% and 52+%

This statement confuses me, it is essentially saying that improvement is impossible. Why wouldn't OP be able to get above 50%? I see no reason why he/she couldn't.

I was wrong -- I thought it was a wall coz I got stuck at there from my 1000th to 2000th game. Since my last 300+ games or so I've been hovering around 50% to 50.2%. And I find that I do much better in solo than platoon (maybe coz I usually plat t8, or coz I'm forced to make my own judgements).

Thanks for the tips and advice guys -- I'm still a hair's breadth away from 49.xx% but I believe there's no actual wall there.

I have found out something interesting though: It very much matter WHEN you play.

I'm not noticing that tbh.

I've been playing at all times during the day and night when I was a student and when I was searching for a job.

Now that I work, already 6 months, I usually play from 9pm to midnight and during weekends. As long as I don't play without any concentration or with tons of frustration, I'll get the same WR as I always managed.

A lot of good advice here. I hope you won't mind if I link my WR here as well?

Well, I seem to have the same exact problem with 53.20% wall. One day I go 53.22% just to drop to 53.19% again and again and again. Tier X fights are even worse, I think all my top tiers are below 50%, on that fights it seems to be especially hard to play without reliable platoon.

I platooned a little before, sometimes with good players, and it really makes difference, however if I was good enough, I should be good also alone, and this current stasis WR is becoming annoying. Is platooning with very good players my only hope on higher tiers? It seems so, as I very seldom meet purple players alone, they are mostly 3 of them at once, and it is impressive/frightening (depends on which team they are in) show to see most of the time. :)

(side note on platoons, companies and clanwars - I had displeasure of play very weak TC and CW teams, as well as some of my irl friends I was platooning before were not the best players around, so sometimes just platooning is not enough... I think some of these game days actually hurted my WR a lot :))

Im saying the ability of this player at his current skill level, to solo improve beyond 49% without outside intervention will be very difficult.

If he platoons more his skill level and general win % will improve and he can go back to soloing with a better understanding of how to carry.

Im saying the ability of this player at his current skill level, to solo improve beyond 49% without outside intervention will be very difficult.

If he platoons more his skill level and general win % will improve and he can go back to soloing with a better understanding of how to carry.

Right, but stats fluffing without improving skill is just pissing into the internet wind. Might as well just figure out how to improve, platooned or solo!

I have a theory that helped me pop through my 49%, take it or leave it:

Certain tanks reinforce bad habits, while others encourage good habits. I believe, with no quantitave or objective evidence, that my T34 was bad for me to buy (find the perfect hull down position somewhere between base and the middle of the map and sit there). I've since learned to reverse angle in this tank, but whatever. The only good thing I can say about developing skills in a T34 is that the speed discourages idiotic early game solo rushes.

My Panther also encouraged a passive/sniping playstyle that I've had to break out of. I've since rage-sold all my german meds. I don't feel that sniping carries games (generalizing).

My T-44, more than any other tank, taught me to play better. The Cromwell might also do this at tier 6, but it's kinda OP in a T-54 sort of way. Others in the forum might have suggetions for good 'learning' tanks and ideas on what tanks might ecourage bad habits.

Certain tanks reinforce bad habits, while others encourage good habits. I believe, with no quantitave or objective evidence, that my T34 was bad for me to buy (find the perfect hull down position somewhere between base and the middle of the map and sit there). I've since learned to reverse angle in this tank, but whatever. The only good thing I can say about developing skills in a T34 is that the speed discourages idiotic early game solo rushes.

My Panther also encouraged a passive/sniping playstyle that I've had to break out of. I've since rage-sold all my german meds. I don't feel that sniping carries games (generalizing).

My T-44, more than any other tank, taught me to play better. The Cromwell might also do this at tier 6, but it's kinda OP in a T-54 sort of way. Others in the forum might have suggetions for good 'learning' tanks and ideas on what tanks might ecourage bad habits.

You're close here. Its not that the T34 teaches you bad things, but that it teaches you specific things, and is limited in what it can teach. It can't teach you mobile tank stuff, or no armor tank stuff, or high DPM tank stuff, or low pen tank stuff, etc. 

You're close here. Its not that the T34 teaches you bad things, but that it teaches you specific things, and is limited in what it can teach. It can't teach you mobile tank stuff, or no armor tank stuff, or high DPM tank stuff, or low pen tank stuff, etc. 

Thank-you, that makes sense. My apologies for putting you on the spot here, but I see you don't play TDs much (nor do I). Is that bad given the above statement? I'm not trying to make some subtle jab, I'm honestly asking b/c i don't know.

You're cat has evolved into some sort of super feline crustacean, while mine is stil doing pushups. Just an observation.

Thank-you, that makes sense. My apologies for putting you on the spot here, but I see you don't play TDs much (nor do I). Is that bad given the above statement? I'm not trying to make some subtle jab, I'm honestly asking b/c i don't know.

I would be a more complete player with more experience in TDs, as would anyone. However I don't love the inflexibility of the fixed casemate. I've played a fair bit of TDs on test server and on friends accounts to have enough of an idea how to combat them. (Don't drive in front of them, or get into a peeking fight!)

I would be a more complete player with more experience in TDs, as would anyone. However I don't love the inflexibility of the fixed casemate. I've played a fair bit of TDs on test server and on friends accounts to have enough of an idea how to combat them. (Don't drive in front of them, or get into a peeking fight!)

Mine is:

Never back up away from them - run kinda at them and then juke to their side. (This does not work in most heavies IMO.)

Mine is:

Never back up away from them - run kinda at them and then juke to their side. (This does not work in most heavies IMO.)

Anticipation > mitigation 

:-D

Can you expound on this?

Can you expound on this?

I think he might have been making a point about not getting into a situation where one is facing a TD in the first place.

Using skills to avoid facing a TD at range is better than using skills to brawl a TD close up.

At least I think that was his point.

Can you expound on this?

anticipation will let you avoid damage

mitigation only minimizes damage

Hmm I have to agree on this -- for example, if you play mostly heavily armoured mediums / light armoured heavies, then you go back to playing TD, you're likely to end up playing your TD as a super-medium which often results in bad performance (for me). I find that I can no longer play my first t7, Jgpanther any more; ever since I started on the KV-1S to IS line, as well as E2 line and the T26E4.

However, playing on different types of tanks does teach you important things, mainly 'kill-zones'. Meaning which areas, which may seem safe, are actually very open to enemy fire

On a side note, any idea how to raise my WN rating faster? My last 1000 battles are in the 118x range, but my overall is still yellow since I probably screwed my first 1000 battles by not knowing how to play (and being a wallet warrior on T26E4 on my 2nd week of playing >.<). It's currently going up at 4 to 9 a day, which means I need at least a month (1200 more battles) to green

Hmm I have to agree on this -- for example, if you play mostly heavily armoured mediums / light armoured heavies, then you go back to playing TD, you're likely to end up playing your TD as a super-medium which often results in bad performance (for me). I find that I can no longer play my first t7, Jgpanther any more; ever since I started on the KV-1S to IS line, as well as E2 line and the T26E4.

However, playing on different types of tanks does teach you important things, mainly 'kill-zones'. Meaning which areas, which may seem safe, are actually very open to enemy fire

On a side note, any idea how to raise my WN rating faster? My last 1000 battles are in the 118x range, but my overall is still yellow since I probably screwed my first 1000 battles by not knowing how to play (and being a wallet warrior on T26E4 on my 2nd week of playing >.<). It's currently going up at 4 to 9 a day, which means I need at least a month (1200 more battles) to green

You have 2000 games.

If you play 2000 games at an 1800WN7 level, your overall will be ~1400.

Simple math.  As you play for more time, it'll take longer to go up.  It will never REALLY stop going up unless you regress as the progression of the overall will hit a limit in that it will take you longer and longer for each point, but you're nowhere near that.  I'm at 7k battles, and my skill level is starting to peak without significant direct work at improving (IE I am expending less effort than I could at improving), and my WN7 is still steadily increasing, and it will for a long time (60 day ~1800, overall, ~1475 - with no improvement, at current skill levels, in another 7k battles I would be  around 1600 overall). But if I hop up my play and run ~2000 WN7 right away and flatline, another 7k battles will put me at ~1700 overall.

So at this point, without a significant increase in skill in a short time, I will be a career blue.  For me, I think purple (overall) is attainable but will require a higher level of focus than I currently have.

Oh well last night went 1-9 just terrible.  Trying to kill 2 for everyone of me but sometimes it just a lame attempt to justify awful play.  Was on the bottom of the MM all night.  Very frustrating but I got to admit, sometimes the fail of the pub team is just too funny and I had to laugh.    Went from 52 to 49% in the stug in one session.

Im stuck on this stug.  I have a JPIV ready but really dont even want to take it out with only 300 games.  I am almost to the stock JP but being Tier VII, its too high.  I need to play some  US stuff, maybe mediums and see how  they fair.  Thou I am very jealous of the hell cat players.  I love that fast, big glass cannon style.

anticipation will let you avoid damage

mitigation only minimizes damage

Exactly. If you are backing away from a TD, it means you already drove in front of their gun. Driving in front of a TD's gun is a big mistake generally, and one to be avoided. Anticipating which way a TD is facing and then punishing them is really the better choice. Of course there are scenarios when its fine to take the hit, and then get to the sides. But never peekaboom a TD in anything except another TD or very well armored heavy. Anticipate the TD's best move, which 80% of the time is you driving in front of his gun. Now decline to drive in front of his gun, and do something else. 

or same focus but mass dedication of 16.7k games!!!

eO3ytCY.png

Nice chart! Care to draw my asymptotes given my current 2400 WN7 and 72.5% win rates? I will trade you the T-54 replay reviews I owe you. (I've not forgotten)

I have to echo that certain tanks rienforce better play.  When I was sub 50% I played mainly TDs and SPGs (Boo hiss, I know) and got into the habit of hanging back.  When I started seriosuly going down med lines and heavies...   well I learned I needed to be more active.

My VK 30.01 (H) and and T-34-84 are now my two best tanks (followed closely by my S-35-CA and M6) and once I got the hang of being present in the battle and even leading a push all my stats went up and my winrate followed shortly thereafter.  Sure, my TD play suffers a bit when I forget my role, but one of the better skills to learn is to adapt to the matches climate and change your role, so I am getitng better at that.

Nice chart! Care to draw my asymptotes given my current 2400 WN7 and 72.5% win rates? I will trade you the T-54 replay reviews I owe you. (I've not forgotten)

well the asymptotes themselves would be at 2400 and 72.5% respectively, because as the # of games you play approaches infinity, the impact of your games played thus far will pretty much equal 0. However, this isn't so relevant because the rate of convergence would be pretty sublinear cuz well.... ya thats just how this works. In a reasonable amount of games, you won't really reach the asymptotes.

Probably more to your interests (aka in a reasonable amount of games), starting at the 9251 games in your sig.... if you average 2400 WN7 and 72.5% WR:

• At 10k games, you'd be at 1834 WN7 and 64.17% WR.
  • At 15k games, you'd be at 2023 WN7 and 66.95% WR.
  • At 20k games, you'd be at 2117 WN7 and 68.34% WR.
  • At 25k games, you'd be at 2174 WN7 with 69.17% WR.

KlBMlT5.png

o7

I have to agree on the T-44 front. It's the first tank that really taught me flexing, situational awareness, and flanking. Before that, I was mostly on the Russian and American heavy lines (up to IS-3 and T32 back then). I find armor and a big gun put me in a rut mentally, because I could just sit there, tunnel vision, take hits, and shoot back. The T-44 encouraged a lot more dynamic play, and completely changed me as a player.

What others said about platooning is partially correct. A lot of things are hard to learn and pick up without seeing it in action. What will help the most is platooning with some good players willing to help and guide you, and find some videos/streams of good players, and learn as much from what they're doing as possible. QuickyBaby is the first one that comes to mind. He's got a huge amount of content out there (both YouTube and his stream) and generally plays very well.

I'm by far not the greatest player ever, but I'm still in my rookie year of the game!  I have noticed, however that my game is improving over time.  The best thing you can do, is just keep playing.  Learn from any mistakes you see, whether they are your own, or those of your team mates.  Drop down a tier or two to some tanks you KNOW you've had fun with in the past.  I"m not saying you should LoLTraktor to a 60% winrate, but Tier4's, 5's, and 6's are pretty good for just getting in and having fun!  Even if you lose, you should still be making credits, and if you buy gold, you can convert to Free exp if you want, and use that to get to another tank you have been wanting to try out!

And above all..... Play all the different styles of tanks in the game.  Lights, Mediums, Heavies, TD's, SPG's...  Learn scouting positions and camoflague techniques.  Playing the other roles of tanks will really help you figure out the best placements for your tanks.  And WATCH YOUR MINIMAP!  If you see one side is lightly defended, you will have to make a decision on supporting the big push, or defending the weak side.  Whichever side you choose, do not overextend yourself from more support! (Murphy's Law of Combat #9: Teamwork is essential.  It gives the Enemy someone else to shoot at!)

Watch the Tank Acadamy and other Videos that WGA has put out.  Watch other players videos. (I like the ones from "The Mighty Jingles" aka BohemianEagle on YouTUBE.)   These will help you understand the strengths and weaknesses of the different tanks and maybe you can take what you see to the battlefield!

The Stats are going to be what the stats are going to be.  They are a REFLECTION of your performance in game.  Don't let them DEFINE you.  Just play, and have fun and the stats will fix themselves.