BeLiAL124

Best antivirus program

I am looking for an antivirus (free preferably), I have been using Avast for the last 2 years but i'm not sure how good it really was.

The biggest thing I am looking for is SPEED!..I don't want anything that will slow down my pc boot times and overall performance.

I used to run AVG, but I've been running without protection ever since I got the comp I'm running now. It didn't seem to do anything other than annoy me.

I haven't lost all my money.

Yet.

But I think MSE is thought of as shit by those knowlegeable in this stuff. They recommend Avast or Avira. Latter is faster.

I am looking for an antivirus (free preferably), I have been using Avast for the last 2 years but i'm not sure how good it really was.

The biggest thing I am looking for is SPEED!..I don't want anything that will slow down my pc boot times and overall performance.

It's an interesting trade-off isn't it? Endure a slower PC because your paranoid AV monitors ALL THE THINGS ALL THE TIME, or get something that is fast (but might not be as good) and endure nuking your OS occasionally because you clicked on something stupid.

Really, MSE + not clicking on stupid things has worked for me so far. You can even disable the real-time protection to eliminate any performance hit, but you'd have to be a thrill seeker. And really good at not clicking on stupid things. :smug:

I've been using AVG on my laptop and Avira on the PC back home and haven't had any issues with them. I think MSE has gotten weaker over time and there are better options available atm. Some people recommend Avast, but I didn't have pleasant experiences with it (it reported my very basic C program as a virus and didn't let me open it even when I set up an exception and later it was a PITA to uninstall).

I run MSE, have Malwarebytes anti-malware and Spybot Search and Destroy (With its real-time protection disabled) as second opinions, and use SpywareBlaster to block connections with a great many untrustworthy sites. Combined with not doing anything stupid, I've never for a virus using this setup in the 2.5 years I've had it.

Also another question

I want to try to make a backup of my new build, I have installed all the programs I want and set everything up exactly how I want it.  I don't want to just backup the program files I want it to reload EVERYTHING to exactly how it was before I nuked and pulled that backup back into use.  Basically a mirrored version of what's on my computer now that is working correctly, similar to factory reset on a box build computer.

I have about 150 windows updates that want to intall..and I tried getting them to work and I ended up with the blue screen of death.  I have since done a secure erase of my SSD everything is loaded on with the Asus secure erase feature in the bios.  

As I was typing this I just crashed into the blue screen of death again..my computer runs so fast I didn't even have time to see what error came up...

I need to fix this blue screen problem and copy everything to cd backups or a HDD, I want to mirror this basic configuration so I never have to start over fresh again.

I was able to re produce the BSOD by running windows security essentials full scan.

I went into my asus bios and set everything to optimized defaults..which basically turned my ram from 1866 back down to 1333, I ran the WSE full scan again and this time no crash.

So maybe my 1866 memory needs more voltage or something to stay stable at 1866.

I also set it to not automatically restart on a crash.  Here is a pic of what came up on the BSOD.

0222141350-00_zps63a1d41f.jpg

I'm pretty sure I found the problem..I set my dram frequency to 1866 but didn't change my ram timings to match 10-11-10-30, is what they are suppose to be and 1.5V.. I changed it to the correct timings and now I haven't been able get a BSOD crash.

Fingers crossed that's all it was lol

But really the best AV is common sense.

This right there. Besides that AVs are more or less the same, but i've been using Avast! free for years without issues.

AVG works very well. I was told to run two by an IT savvy friend of mine. What one might miss the other will pick up. Not worth risking your computer for a slight advantage in speed IMHO. I currently run AVG and MSE. 

AVG is a very good program. Not too intrusive if you set the right settings and dead simple to use. 

Running two AVs isnt a great idea and his logic is rather flawed. If you want to feel secure pay up (~50 Euro per year).

I also see a lot of people run AVG, a year or two ago they had super annoying "reminders" (More of a trial then a Free version).