Rexxie

Movie Thread

We got any cinephiles in here? I've been trying to catch up on some well regarded movies I've missed (today was Children of Men!) and forgot how much I enjoy wasting time like this. It's better than clicking the battle button all night at the very least.

Anyone see anything they enjoyed lately?

pls no bullshit masked as some artsy garbage ty

What Genre specifically? You enjoy foreign films?

Anyway, I'll start with some good old fashioned ultraviolence. Capeshit has managed to replace and destroy almost all great "action movies" in Western cinema, so I'll list some from overseas that I recently watched and liked

Tropa De Elite 1 and 2 were two Brazillian films I fucking loved, the follow the life of a BOPE unit (essentially militarized police) who combat the druglords in the favelas of Brazil.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0861739/

Check it out, and try the second one after you've finished the first (tropa de elite 2)

Next up, an Indonesian cop film that Dredd(2013) essentially borrowed the plot from. It's called The Raid, and it too has a sequel. First movie was fantastic, the fight scenes are truly something else.Try grab a non-dubbed version, original audio + subtitles are the best

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1899353/ (again, the sequel is called the Raid: Redemption )

Children of Men was much better then reviews indicated. Explored concepts in unique ways, for example could be seen as a metaphor for gay tolerance.

Oblivion had a good idea but Tom Cruise did his usually and stiffed his way through it.

John Carter was not promoted correctly, it's actually quite good.

Frozen was excellent, like an old fashioned musical.

The Nut Job was well done.

I liked I Frankenstien.

Keanu Reeves is not a good actor, but I have been wasting time with Constantine.

I just saw Bunraku. A very different film, as implied by the title. But A martial starts movie/performance art with Woody Harrelson, Demi Moore, Ron Perlman, Josh Hartnet and Gackt seemed interesting, and it was.

Check out Moon, starring Sam Rockwell, it is excellent.

We got any cinephiles in here? I've been trying to catch up on some well regarded movies I've missed (today was Children of Men!) and forgot how much I enjoy wasting time like this. It's better than clicking the battle button all night at the very least.

Anyone see anything they enjoyed lately?

pls no bullshit masked as some artsy garbage ty

What genre and era???

Anything you guys thought was good, but no I don't personally enjoy foreign films.

Well, foreign films have a bad PR rap because people assume foreign = pretentious arthouse shit, ones I suggested aren't particularly arthousey at all.

LA Confidential - Russel Crow - Kevin Spacey - Kim Bassinger

The Butler - Forest Whitaker

I Am Legend - Wil Smith

Good Wil Hunting - Matt Damon - Robin Williams

Sleepers -  Robert Deniro - Kevin Bacon

True Romance - Christian Slater - Dennis Hopper - Christopher Walken

Lincoln - Daniel Day Lewis

Hell in the Pacific - Lee Marvin - Toshiro Mifune

Bad Day at Black Rock - Spencer Tracy

The Professionals - Lee Marvin - Burt Lancaster

From Here to Eternity - Burt Lancaster - Montgomery Clift

Copland - Sylvester Stallone - Ray Liotta

Raging Bull - Robert Deniro - Joe Pesci

Taxi Driver - Robert Deniro - Jodie Foster

Deliverance - Jon Voight

The Sand Pebbles - Steve McQueen

No Country For Old Men - Tommy Lee Jones - Josh Brolin - Javier Bardem

The Hurt Locker - Jeremy Renner

Huge Cinephile here, here are some less scene films that deserve more exposure.

> Action: RocknRolla(Gritty Brittish gang action movie that doesn't stop till the end), Green Street Hooligans(Film about soccer hooligans that takes some twists along the way), The Warriors(70's classic that holds up the time test),

> Drama: Gone baby gone(Crime drama with morgan Freeman end), Cinderella Man (Not really a sports movie but could call it one)

>Crime:  Bullit(Classic Steve McQueen, dont mistake it with Bullet which is shit) Se7en(A crime movie like none other, a must watch once) The Untouchables(Classic mob era crime movie with Connery) Kiss the girls(Crime movie with some good twists)

>War: Black Hawk down(just a great Film) Alexander(Long movie but worth the watch) Master and Commander(If you ever wanted to know what old ship warfare was like, this movie is spot on but too long if you have no patience) Band of Brothers(It's a mini series but you'll get to know each character and care what happens to them, last episode makes me cry every time)

>Comedy: Death to Smoochy(Not the best but a solid dark comedy that is overlooked) Trolls2(Probably the worse movie ever made, but so bad its "good")

I'll add more tomorrow, out of coffee need sleep

Its been a while since I've seen any movies thx to TL coming to SEA, though funnily I've torrented 20 a week anyway lol

The Hangover I - III for comedy

The World's End for interesting British style slightly macabre comedy (third film in the Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy

World War Z - apoplectic sci-fi etc

despicable me 1/2 - clean fun minions, not merely for kids

Les Miserables - excellent movie from excellent book, done both

the cold light of day - sci-fi horror

the wolverine

idk where the rest of my few thousand movies are, think in other hdd will update later. i watch pretty much any good movie regardless of genre or language(just need subs).

got all of them from here, http://yify-torrents.com/browse-movie/0/All/All/0/latest/4 in 1080p

What movies have you walked out on?

for me battle la (holy fuck bad plot+camera shaking)

twilight breaking dawn (went with sum female friends, went NOPE about 10minute in)

also avatar movie (the one by m night shasyuysayaysman) FUCK WHY DID I PAY 7 DOLLARS FOR THAT POS

also watch yellow submarine while on shrooms 10/10 would recommend.

• Riddick. Very well-made, rather inventive movie which feels 100% complete. A bit of a niche movie, I'd say though.
  • <almost made a troll suggestion>
  • <can't think of any more because I don't watch movies :c>

I'm usually drawn to good actors. Start with someone like decaprio, he has been on fire recently. I would start with on of his older movies like the departed or blood diamonds if you haven't seen them. Then watch inception, gatsby and wolf of wall street which are all awesome movies.

Not really sure what you have watched already but if you haven't seen good will hunting yet I would seriously consider watching that movie, so good!

These all might be considered 'artsy' not really sure what you consider artsy? Are you into movies where shits being blown up most of the time? Rambo?

I dont think I haven't not enjoyed any Adam Sandler movie I have seen.

Oh I forgot about Sandler, grew up on his stuff! 

Good old Sandler movies: Billy Madison, Wedding singer, Waterboy, Big daddy, spanglish and maybe little nicky

New Sandler Movies: Maybe just go with it? If you in the mood for a alright Rom Com.

Oh I forgot about Sandler, grew up on his stuff! 

Good old Sandler movies: Billy Madison, Wedding singer, Waterboy, Big daddy, spanglish and maybe little nicky

New Sandler Movies: Maybe just go with it? If you in the mood for a alright Rom Com.

My all time favourite, Happy Gilmore.

Got through Zodiac this morning. A decent movie, I really feel like Gyllenhaal's performance was shit though. It was like watching a mystery film where the pivotal character was Peter Parker. Maybe that was the point, but it didn't fit in at all.

I'll probably try Riddick tonight.

I kinda liked zodiac although I watched it awhile ago. A couple other good suspense/ mystery are fracture and law abiding citizen both I think are probably better than zodiac.  I always thought that reddick would be a waste of time for me, you will have to let us know how it is? 

If you have not watched this then you should, unreal movie. Sticking with tarentino I would also like to add pulp fiction, sin city, kill bill, resevior dogs.

Nobody's mentioned Django Unchained?