kunjuro

Stop grinding AMX AC 48/Foch (155) line?

I've been in possession of the AMX AC 48 for quite a while now. But when I had it fully upgraded, I was sorely disappointed by its performance. Low DPM, unreliable accuracy and inconsistent armor made it a chore to play. I thought it would play similar to my old Jagdpanther II but I found that vehicle much more superior. So I shelved the 48 for half a year. 

Now, the Foch 155 got the nerf hammer dropped on it and people are whining how terrible it is right now. The only reason why I stuck going through the amx 48 was the hope that the tier X was CW worthy (as I knew the tier IX was also a meh-average vehicle). So after the nerfs, is it still worth pursuing this line? Right now, I'm at tier VII of the Waffentragger line, and tier VIII of the obj 268 line. I was also thinking of buying at long last the T-34-2 and try my luck with. I could sell the AMX for now and use that to bankroll my other vehicles. Should I focus on my other grinds first? Thanks.

I was honestly thinking the same thing. I am sitting on the tier 9 Foch. It fixes many problems from the 48: better armor, no ass tumor, better gun handling, greater HP, same MM etc. I find it is a decent TD, not totally unenjoyable to play. That said, I have about 0 desire to grind out the 300k XP to the 155 now, nor do I feel like throwing down 6.2 million credits on a tank that now handles/plays so poorly. I would much rather spend the time/credits on a tank that will be fun and worth playing. This is a game after all, and I despise tanks that feel like work. 

So to summarize, if those tanks have been more enjoyable to play, and fit your style of gameplay, I would recommend shelving the French TD line. I will be doing the same. The Foch is an upgrade over the 48, no doubt. However, not sure the same can be said of the 155. We are talking an inaccurate and slow aiming gun here. 

I haven't bought the Foch for the same reason and won't buy it any time soon. The Object 704 is such a powerhouse that I simply don't feel the need for a less fun tier 9 TD. If I feel the need for a derpy tier 10 TD, I can still go the Jagd E-100 line.

Besides I have just unlocked the Lorraine 40t, Indien and AMX 50B, so it's not that I have lots of spare credits.

I haven't bought the Foch for the same reason and won't buy it any time soon. The Object 704 is such a powerhouse that I simply don't feel the need for a less fun tier 9 TD. If I feel the need for a derpy tier 10 TD, I can still go the Jagd E-100 line.

Besides I have just unlocked the Lorraine 40t, Indien and AMX 50B, so it's not that I have lots of spare credits.

Is it worth the time and effort to grind the Obj263 line?

About done with the AMX AC48.  I will not be moving on to the Foch.  Too many other tank lines to grind that lead to better tanks.  Like my late to the party T-54 --> 62A / Obj 140.

I see less and less Foch 155s and it doesn't seem like anybody fears them anymore. That nerf bat really hit home on that tank.

On another note, the AMX 48 TD was the first tank in the game to make me rage sell it halfway through the grind. I DESPISE that tank.

Seems i will have to grind some Russian TD like everyone else. I never started with the new German line and it would be pointless to do so now since they will be surely nerfed.  So no French, or German TDs, Don't like the US TDs grind, the T28 is a horrible horrible grind. So that leaves the Russians.

Ive did stop the line wat exactly same point. Dont see the point of 155 anymore when you can have the glorious german laser canon with loader.

Is it worth the time and effort to grind the Obj263 line?

I'm inclined to say no, only the tier 9 is above average good.

The 263 has very unreliable armor, the mantlet and lfp are both weakspots, and it's open top with no side or rear armor, the whole top of the tank is pretty much autopen for arty.

On city maps, it's probably a bit better at yolo rushing than Foch, as the frontal armor, while not reliable against decent players, is still far superior to the Foch.

The dpm and camo is also very very good, it's got roughly the same camo value as the 268 and Foch, so if you prefer normal TD play from the rear, then yes, it might be worth it, but the "low" alpha can make it harder to do consistent high damage, oh, it's also got pretty bad gun depression.

It's a pretty hard to play tank, that can do very well under the right circumstances, but I feel it's too inconsistent to be worth it.

Tier 7 and 8 in that line are both known to be horrible horrible grinds.

If the Foch 155 is truly crap now, it's just more evidence of how clumsy WG is at balancing tanks. Both Foches were OP beforehand, with strong frontal armor AND excellent mobility AND a powerful gun...and then they over nerf the thing.

I don't understand their pattern:

1. release plainly OP tank

2. ignore player complaints about it for patch after patch

3. finally nerf the thing, but overdo it so it's UP

4. leave it in UP status quasi-permanently

Sounds like that's exactly what they did with the M48.

They would be better served in dealing with nerfs and buffs if they made several small steps. They'd be less likely to get it wrong and players would find it easier to adjust.

If the Foch 155 is truly crap now, it's just more evidence of how clumsy WG is at balancing tanks. Both Foches were OP beforehand, with strong frontal armor AND excellent mobility AND a powerful gun...and then they over nerf the thing.

I don't understand their pattern:

1. release plainly OP tank

2. ignore player complaints about it for patch after patch

3. finally nerf the thing, but overdo it so it's UP

4. leave it in UP status quasi-permanently

Sounds like that's exactly what they did with the M48.

They would be better served in dealing with nerfs and buffs if they made several small steps. They'd be less likely to get it wrong and players would find it easier to adjust.

They did the same with other French tanks, the Lorraine comes to mind. There are some very bad French tanks, but no really good one to make up for the bad tanks.

Well it makes sense if you assume their business model is to release OP tanks to encourage free spending, then nerf after spending has dried up on that line.

I would assume they track data like converted freeXP and XP expenditures, I would.

I'm in almost the same situation, I have AMX48, and I have decided to continue the grind.
I will not focus on it so much, I'll play it for doubles, for fun, for trolling or something like that. But The Foch will be in my garage sooner or later, probably later. :)

But there is no chance I would go for Foch if I still had to go all the way from tier 2 TD. I shudder when remembering UE57, Somua, Bathtub, and V39. Jesus... those were so boring.

You know how fucked the line is when Bathtub is its best tank.  =D

I do still pop into my tier 9 Foch now and again. I have chipped in 100k XP, meaning I have 200k to go, lol. The tier 9 Foch is a solid tank, no doubt about that. However, grinding that final 200k XP? That is going to take a lot of x2s.....

Again, it seems similar to this Russian TD debate: what do you really gain with the 155 now? Worse mobility, worse armor (sides and top), less accuracy, longer aim time, less DPM and of course 6.2 million credits. You gain HP, Alpha, Auto-loading and tier X of course. 

I have seen maybe 2 Foch 155s over the last month. What a joke. I see more Maus than Foch 155s. 

The tier 9 Foch is a solid tank, no doubt about that. 

That's why I'm gonna do it. Tiers 8 and 9 are playable, and enjoyable too, especially when compared to T95 and T28s  :#

It would be a shame to not finish the line when I have already survived all the really bad tanks.

I might not buy the 155 when I research it, but It's good to have it as an option. Who knows what the future will bring, and the tank will certainly see some changes when it gets reworked into HD!

I hated the AMX 48. Gun handling ruined it for me. Of course, from the ARL V39, every tank seems incrementally better than the previous one. I kept switching from the 100 to the 120? (or is it 90 to the 100?). Same thing the line suffers from for a while, the lesser gun handling much better than the final gun to the point where you want top use the 'lesser gun.' The Foch finally fixes that issue. Aim time is much better, so is accuracy. The 48 suffered from reticle bloom too much for my liking. 

That's why I'm gonna do it. Tiers 8 and 9 are playable, and enjoyable too, especially when compared to T95 and T28s  :#

It would be a shame to not finish the line when I have already survived all the really bad tanks.

I might not buy the 155 when I research it, but It's good to have it as an option. Who knows what the future will bring, and the tank will certainly see some changes when it gets reworked into HD!

Necro! because I had to correct myself.

The entire French TD line is one giant pile of horse shit. And AMX48 is a horrible TD. Grinding this shit was the worst experience in my wot career.

I will not buy the Foch, and I'm moving my crew somewhere else, probably to AMX 13 90.

Good luck pals, and God help you if you choose to grind Foch 155 after the nerf hammers.

The entire French TD line is one giant pile of horse shit. And AMX48 is a horrible TD. Grinding this shit was the worst experience in my wot career.

I will not buy the Foch, and I'm moving my crew somewhere else, probably to AMX 13 90.

Good luck pals, and God help you if you choose to grind Foch 155 after the nerf hammers.

I'm just waiting for the AMX 50 120 to go on sale here and I'll be slapping my AMX TD crew on it >_<

13 90 is a fantastic choice and you'll probably enjoy it greatly unless you're some sort of fun-hating mr. sexii who dislikes fast light tanks with 1440 potential clip 

I must add that the entire line, starting from tier 6, has a very low skill ceiling. (Yes, when a green is talking about skill ceiling you know it's bad).

There's not a lot you can do about them: Hull down? LOL R2D2 machine gun port. Angle your armour? LOL 40mm side armour overmatch. Mobile sniper? LOL sniper circle after movement. There is only really one thing you can do with these, that is to go to those traditional TD spots on the maps (if there are any) and point and click. And even in those places they usually get out-done by other TDs because worse alpha AND DPM.

They have good hard stats, on paper, and they were OP when they first came out 2 years ago. But their soft stats have been nerfed to terribleness in the nerf cycles.

I have the tier 9 Foch. Even before the tier 10 got nerfed, I couldn't bring myself to grind out the tier 10. Now with the nerf? Not happening. I wish I could just sell it but I can't bring myself to sell a tier 9 without unlocking the 10. Overall, I found the line to be underwhelming, other than the bathtub. That thing was glorious.

Rage sold my MLE 46 then rebought later and finished the grind, bought the 48 and rage sold that after 12 games with only 1 win. Don't think I will be touching this line again. As others have said, that horrible aim time, armor seems to be a case of it's tough as nails when I'm shooting at one, but when I'm driving it, everyone pens it :

Would grind waffle line but afraid it will also be nerfed into dust by the time I get it. Might go up to rhoomba though.

We now have two RIP French TD thread, can a mod come and merge them?

Just finished grinding the 1948, 51% win rate in the end over 278 battle...... :#  That took a pretty big dent on my recent WR (together with the Leo Proto and the nerfed to hell T71......).

Problem with the tank: The gun control, aiming time is bad. Side armour LOL cant angle at all. Hull down LOL R2D2 turret. Armour is actually not that great even frontally (upgraded tier 8 heavy with 220mm silver pen can still pen you easily if close range and negate some of your slope), hp pool very low (less hp than paper borsig WG trolling at its best).

Self Reflection PEBKAC: I suck at driving TDs. the speed makes me sometimes play it like a medium, I tomatoed a lot of game when I first got it, in trying to get it into medium spots and got tomatoed because of paper side, large size. I'm also a pretty mediocre shooter and I sometimes tomato shots that I should not.

However, during the grind I have also learned from using this line of tanks, namely:

• Despite its good speed, it's not a medium/TD hybrid due to lack of turret, horrible side armour and horrible gun control. It's a traditional, med-long range support TD (but sucks at it due to LOL gun aiming time and LOL DPS and LOL DPM and fairly average armour, compared to say the Jgpz II or even the Ferdinand) with good mobility.
  • Be Patient at start of games, provide some early snipe/long range support at start of games while preserving your hp. While its not a medium, it can make use of some early game medium firing spots (however it usually struggle to get shots off because of LOL gun control).
  • See how the battle develops. Kraftlawrance' battle awareness rule apply. Although in this crappy TD, you probably performs better as one holding the weaker side than one tries to initiate a push on a stronger side because of paper side armour and **** you less hp than borsig.
  • if your pubbies fail horribly and ends up 1-7, you lost anyway. Get the remaining pubbies into a heroic last stand and just MAYBE you can get an unlikely wing as the enemy pubbies rushes one at a time.
  • if your pubbies held up to their pubbies and battles starts to develop into 6-6 or 7-7, gaps should start appearing on the map where you CAN try to carry to a win using your combination of decent camo, decent speed and decent firepower, either through vision games or through flanking and local superiority.
  • If your pubbies steamroll the opposition, use speed to farm WN8......

The end of the Mle1948, a once great TD hammered into almost total tomato (its not even mediocre, its tomato) with a series of nerf hammers thanks to WG's brainfart at balancing.  I will still grind through the Foch, at least it has a much improved hp pool, frontal armour that can at least bounce most silver shells in tier 9, loss of the tail tumor (oh, I forgot to mention that?), slightly improved dispersion and much improved aim time.

My suggestion for the balancing of the line:

• Restore side armour to 50 for all tanks.
  • Buff DPM (except Foch 155) so at least it is not the worst in tier both in DPS and in DPM.
  • Buff all 2.9 sec aim time guns to 2.5-2.7sec aim time. Buff all 2.3 sec aim time guns to 2.0-2.1 aim time. Foch 155 gun stay the same. The problem with the Foch 155 is not the Foch 155, it's the WTF 100 that's capable of clipping more damage in a shorter time with far better fire control and a turret.