wes

JPanther: Deeply regret had not free exp 10.5cm from the beginning

Seriously I think people who said long 88 is the better gun for the JPanther are either sadistic trolls, or are poor souls struggle to hit 1 out of 10 shots which made cheaper shells matter to them.

I ran it with stock gun for a couple of games, not impressed, but what else can be expected for a stock tank ? Free exp to long 88.... holy crap, I felt the tank became much WORSE. The terrible gun handling in a  turretless chassis is simply dreadful. I was totally trashed and I put this tank aside for months.

Picked it up again since last month. First 9 games was still complete disaster. Did 600 DPG(!), 0.33 KPG(!) 11% WIN (!). Every unicum here said this tank is good, I think I must did something deeply wrong. Before rage sold I give it and myself a second chance, free exp the top gun.

OMG, what a different ! 15 games with the 10.5cm so far, I did 1.6K DPG, 1.9 KPG, 73% WIN. I even was not carrying any gold round, since I want to get the feel of the limitation of normal shell first. There might be 1 or 2 instances I want to shoot gold but generally I think it's not necessary.

I sat down and review what's the different, and came up with:

1. with long 88 I always lost the first shot race, every time I popped out of cover to make a shot in it, I got hit hard before properly aimed. But the 105 is so fast in aiming even quick pop out shot can often hit and let me retreat earlier.

2. Finally having an alpha people fear. They often panic and run for cover after hit by 105. Before that pubbies were much more willing to trade shoot with me. My small HP pool is a big disadvantage and they knew I have no armor to speak of.

3. Because of alpha and 1.7s aim time, 105 is a king in brawling and CQC. In contrast long 88 is hopeless.

I had all modules fully upgraded now, freed up the suspension slot. Still using a camo net, might replace it with an EGLD later.

I wouldn't go as far as regret. The long 8,8 is a great gun and while I can say that my stats in that tank immediately went up with the 10,5 there's no reason IMO to have to spend the free exp on a painless grind.

Glad you like the tank now though OP

I've had a similar experience with the Tiger 2. I've only unlocked the short 105 but DAMN what a difference.

I've always found the 88 L71 to be effective but a little bit haphazard with dispersion (derpy accuracy for us laymen) - no such issues with the short 105 and I'd only assume the long one is a similar story.

Have any of you JP drivers noticed the same thing between the 88 and the 105? Derpy accuracy I mean.

I felt 88 very pleasant, problem is I have played Jgp before accuracy changes. My DPG is 1246 on it overall even that I was worse player back then. And I remember I used 88 most of the time, because I simple considered it superior in terms of accuracy/dmg/money. 88 is one of the best guns for grinding, because its pen and accuracy are enough to compete. But bigger alpha is better, no doubt about it. But free exping top gun is imo waste, there are more important modules out there.

I've had a similar experience with the Tiger 2. I've only unlocked the short 105 but DAMN what a difference.

I've always found the 88 L71 to be effective but a little bit haphazard with dispersion (derpy accuracy for us laymen) - no such issues with the short 105 and I'd only assume the long one is a similar story.

Have any of you JP drivers noticed the same thing between the 88 and the 105? Derpy accuracy I mean.

I haven't had any trouble with the accuracy of the 8,8cm L/71 on any platform that uses it. The gun has made both my Tiger II and JP grinds rather easy.

While I certainly prefer the 105 on the JP (largely because of the usual Alpha vs RoF issues), I didn't have any problem with the 88. In my mind, they were close enough to both be fully viable choices.

I love the Long88 on the Tiger-I.

I hated it on the JP.

Here is a hint for you.... save up for the top gun on the JP2.... the top gun is a murder machine... the other guns are a sad joke.

I was quite happy with the long 88 in tiger I and indien panzer, thus I was expecting the same in JP. However for some reasons I couldn't made it work :-( Might be partly confirmation bias, or partly because of the jumpy 8.11 server side reticle killed it .... Anyhow, I'm happy with the tank to fire 10.5 now :-)

With JP I did not really feel accuracy different between 88 and 105. My stats indicated I achieved 70%+ hit rate with both supports that. The problem with 88 I found was the bloom and dispersion, guess also because of I did not run EGLD with it. The time for me to sit still and aim was longer than enough to get myself killed. 105 is completely doable without EGLD so far. That's why I'm debating between EGLD to speed up an already fast aim,  camo net for first 3 minutes sniping unseen, or optic in order to rely on pubbies spotting less and late game pushing.

The long 88 is a fantastic gun and made the KT the easiest stock grind I've experienced.

The long 88 is equal to the 105 in my book.

+Slightly higher AP pen

-Slightly worse APCR pen

+Slightly better accuracy

-Slightly worse aim time

+Much higher RoF

-Much lower alpha, crappier HE

+More cost-efficient AP

-Less cost-efficient APCR

+Higher shell velocity

And a bunch of subtle differences that rarely matter.

I was quite happy with the long 88 in tiger I and indien panzer, thus I was expecting the same in JP. However for some reasons I couldn't made it work :-( Might be partly confirmation bias, or partly because of the jumpy 8.11 server side reticle killed it .... Anyhow, I'm happy with the tank to fire 10.5 now :-)

Because dispersion from moving/turning the hull of JP is almost double that of turning the turret on the tiger. The difference in aim time does not really eliminate the problem.