NavySnipers

How to abuse the M103 and troll pubbies.

The playstyle this tank excels at most: Pop, shoot, and retreat.

To first know how to troll pubbies in-game, you need to know how to set the tank up properly:

23k8LnY.jpg

Vents/Rammer/Vstab

This is the ultimate pop and shoot setup. Some might go with GLD instead of vents, but with this tank, you want to grab every ounce of reload you can. With this setup, I get a 9.45 second reload@400 damage a shot, meaning I will reload faster than almost anything I come up against allowing me to put out two shots for every one he puts out.

If you don't run with equipment, then I doubt you will be very successful in the tank at all.

Crew skills:

Commander:
  • Sixth sense. With this tank, you need to know when your lit.
  • Repair. Sometimes, the tank you come up against will reload when you retreat and blow off your track. I have repair on all crewmen to allow me to repair my track before he reloads again. Never use your repair kit to fix your tracks unless you're in immediate danger of taking damage. Save it for your ammo rack which will get damage. Every. Single. Game.
  • Situational awareness (radioman skill). Every once and awhile you'll get into a situation where you want some more view range.

Gunner:
  • Snap shot. Again, this helps greatly with the pop and shoot playstyle this tank excels at.
  • Repair. Same reason as commander
  • Armorer. Sometimes your gun gets damaged, and I usually save my repair kit - especially if it's a close battle -for my ammo rack. The accuracy of the damaged gun isn't too bad anyway.

Driver:
  • Smooth ride. Same reason as snap shot for my gunner
  • Clutch braking. Mobility really helps with this tank in tight spots. I was able to keep my front to a relic platoon of type 59's yesterday because of this skill, killed on of them, and had arty finish the other.
  • Controlled impact. I kinda derped here. I shoulda gone with off-road.

Loader1:
  • Adrenaline rush. Again, every ounce of reload helps. Especially when you're low health.
  • Repair.
  • I honestly have no clue what to go with for my third. WG needs to make some better loader skill/perks.

Loader2:
  • Safe stowage. You will get your ammo rack damaged almost every game, so I don't need to explain why you need this.
  • Repair
  • ?

I believe this is the most ideal setup for the tank and its playstyle, and will use it to my advantage in the following section.

================================================================================================================

I'll use a replay as an example. This is M103 gameplay at its finest. I did 4800 damage with 7 kills and took no damage the entire match.

Look at the tank:

74gwelG.jpg

What do you see? I see a highly angled UFP, and a weak LFP. What does this tell you? Troll the pubbies by hiding your LFP and force them to shoot your highly angled UFP, your trollish turret, or, if they're competent, your commanders viewport. But you can make it harder for them to hit your viewport by bobbing back and forth to make them miss just like any other 'Murican heavy.

The bases of hills work pretty good for hiding the LFP, especially if you come in at an angle. Just make sure you don't show your side armor. scratch that. This tank doesn't have it.

Now lets put these theories into practice.

It would look like this (Please excuse my horrible graphics):

CgVumYy.jpg

E-75 bounced, IIRC, off my UFP. I took advantage of my reload time, and killed him before his long reload finished.

I then came upon a T34. I decide to shoot his track, knowing that I can probably reload before he can fix it, and put a second shot into him. Which I did.

eU8DL7M.jpg

That was the most educational part of the replay. The rest is just cleanup.

http://wotreplays.com/site/211264#murov ... ipers-m103

Here's another replay where I abuse the rocks on steppes and troll the enemy with my UFP:

http://wotreplays.com/site/211267#stepp ... ipers-m103

It all comes down to finding the most ideal spot. If you overextend, or get caught in a place where there is no retreat and you have no support, I have my doubts you will break 1k damage. But if you find a spot where you control the battlefield andd force the enemies to play to your advanages, you'll end up with games like the ones above.

Edited by NavySnipers
Fixed the [list] URL.

How exactly do you use the armor on this though?

I had great difficulty with the M103,the T110E5 however was like a whole new creature.

How exactly do you use the armor on this though?

I had great difficulty with the M103,the T110E5 however was like a whole new creature.

Always keep the front to the enemy. As was explained in part 2 of my poast, you want to hide the LFP as much as possible. Sidescraping sucks so much in this tank. At even 1 degree before autobounce, tier 6's can pen the sides.

Here's an armor layout:

m103-historical-armor.jpg

These ones are a bit old, but unless they changed the armor, it should still be valid:

m103-turret-armor-scheme3.jpg?w=650

m103-front-armor-scheme2.jpg?w=531

What I like to do is go slightly hull-down on small terrain irregularities (just enough to hide the LFP), then bob back an forth to make it harder to hit my turret weakspots. This also increases the angle of the UFP, making it even stronger.

Great guide.  Thanks!  I'm on the M103 grinding to the E5 so I can start to contribute to my Clan's CW efforts.  I'm at the major decision point on the grind.  Go for the Engine and unlock the E5 and try to work the second gun smarter or spend the 60K exp. now for the top gun to smooth out the road?  Right now I am leaning strongly to the Tier X gun first.

Great guide.  Thanks!  I'm on the M103 grinding to the E5 so I can start to contribute to my Clan's CW efforts.  I'm at the major decision point on the grind.  Go for the Engine and unlock the E5 and try to work the second gun smarter or spend the 60K exp. now for the top gun to smooth out the road?  Right now I am leaning strongly to the Tier X gun first.

That's what I did. I found the second gun (not the last) sufficient for the grind. The last gun only has better AP penetration and other useful soft stats that I don't think justifies for 60k of experience.

I know it sounds silly, but because tank locking is implemented, would a M103 be a worthy candidate for substituting your T110E5 if your tier Xs are locked? Same gun, just much less armor. Then again, armor is sort of worthless in CWs.

I'm nowhere near Navy's level but I ended up deciding to unlock the top gun first and I'm glad I did, the extra pen is nice to have and I think I need more time in this tank to really get better at playing it before moving up anyway.

Based on my results, I need more time on this tank as well. xD  It plays very differently than the T32, as Navy said. My CL is pushing folks to quickly build up the number of Tier X available.  I would think the M103 is a probable locking backup, for me at least and I would have put the M58 on both tanks in any case.

Once I have the E5 I'll play it and the M103 often and hopefully smarter with the words of wisdom from this forum.  Need to figure which grind to start next.  I'm closer to the T62A than anything else.  I'm loving the T-34-85 a bunch.  

the Tier X gun changes this tank form good to Great. it is the same gun you get on the T110E5, so it will be unlocked when you research the E5. at around a 1/3 of the xp to the E5 it is a tough decision, but I would only skip it if I was doing a speed grind. 

It all comes down to finding the most ideal spot. If you overextend, or get caught in a place where there is no retreat and you have no support, I have my doubts you will break 1k damage. But if you find a spot where you control the battlefield andd force the enemies to play to your advanages, you'll end up with games like the ones above.

Isn't this the case with most vehicles though? 

I have really struggled to find the sweet spot with it. My games have been far from consistent. I'll get a smattering of 4k+ damage battles, but I haven't been able to reliably recreate that; even when fully upgraded. Perhaps I'm playing far too aggressive in it and need to allow the battles to develop a bit more. The problem I have with that is it allows the enemy team more control to set the stage.

I'll see if I can scare up some replays because the M103 is a tank I want to, and think I should, enjoy but it's been quite a frustrating journey so far.

If you're going to platoon your M103, I suggest doing it with an E-75 and T-54 (Or 50 120).

The E-75 can be your armor, and the T-54 can be your getbacktobasenow guy

Nice 10 kills game (RO'ed there so can't reply). Go a year or so back in US heavy forum and find me trying to convince all the pubbies that M103 is amazing, while keep getting the same "no armor" crap back.

Nice 10 kills game (RO'ed there so can't reply). Go a year or so back in US heavy forum and find me trying to convince all the pubbies that M103 is amazing, while keep getting the same "no armor" crap back.

Hey devs!! The M103 has a server WR of 47.5%!! That means it suqs!! Buff it nao!

Thanks for the tips, OP. I've been grinding the M103 for a while (still need about 80k for the E5), and I'm only just starting to really figure it out. Of course, my win rate in it is pretty pedestrian (52%) and the DPG is nothing special (~2100), but I feel like I have a better handle on hiding the lower plate and staying arty safe in this tank.

As for crew skills: how do you feel about BiA? I have it on my M103, and I think it really helps, although it is a pretty slight boost.

Navy I noticed Garbad is now recommending Vert/Rammer/Optics on the higher American heavies.  I was wondering what your take on Optics vs Vents for the M103 was?

Optics was my initial setup on my  M103 and T110. I believed in spot first, shoot first and hide. But I switched both over to vents when I got BiA for both crews. Not that I believe vents multiplies with BiA or anything and should always go together, was just kinda like "I wonder how much difference 10% more crew skill would be like. Going to stay with vents because while extra view range would be nice on open maps, spotting is simply not those tanks' main job.

Optics was my initial setup on my  M103 and T110. I believed in spot first, shoot first and hide. But I switched both over to vents when I got BiA for both crews. Not that I believe vents multiplies with BiA or anything and should always go together, was just kinda like "I wonder how much difference 10% more crew skill would be like. Going to stay with vents because while extra view range would be nice on open maps, spotting is simply not those tanks' main job.

What would you say to GLD vs vents? I've recently became a believe of no aim time best aim time. I've got Bia on my M103 atm and run VStab/Rammer/GLD and enjoy it to no end. But I havn't tried switching GLD to vents.

Having been playing Conq, M103's aim time started feeling lacking, but if you play E-75 and M103 at the same time, it'll feel godly. Vents help aim time too, just not as much. The difference between using the two are small enough that most people won't even notice it, so it's really personal preference. I tend to only run GLD for guns with 2.9s aim time or higher, or tanks with good paper aim time but terrible dispersion.

Thanks for the tips, OP. I've been grinding the M103 for a while (still need about 80k for the E5), and I'm only just starting to really figure it out. Of course, my win rate in it is pretty pedestrian (52%) and the DPG is nothing special (~2100), but I feel like I have a better handle on hiding the lower plate and staying arty safe in this tank.

As for crew skills: how do you feel about BiA? I have it on my M103, and I think it really helps, although it is a pretty slight boost.

Other crew skills are more important. A small boost isn't worth sacrificing anything else I have set up, imo.

Navy I noticed Garbad is now recommending Vert/Rammer/Optics on the higher American heavies.  I was wondering what your take on Optics vs Vents for the M103 was?

Load time>optics. The M103 with my current setup can only reload every 9.45 seconds. Without vents, it would be much harder to trade two shots when you poke against another tier 9 heavy.

Hey devs!! The M103 has a server WR of 47.5%!! That means it suqs!! Buff it nao!

Sounds like Andield and his E100 much? :P

That truly was an epic battle in the M103 you mention. I have noticed that if you go dead on with most foes, the armor will troll bounce almost anything, even the lower. Letting someone even get a couple degrees of -+ elevation on you though and your done. I learned that the hard way on the lower end of the ice road the day after the M103 came out. I think that is what a lot of the whine about the tank is about...incorrect positioning and as per your post, position is everything in this tank...

Does the top turret give any noticeable armor difference? It has the same armor as the stock one and I had people penning it from the front... Also, do you need tracks for the upgraded turret?

Does the top turret give any noticeable armor difference? It has the same armor as the stock one and I had people penning it from the front... Also, do you need tracks for the upgraded turret?

There's two problems you could run in to while playing with the stock turret:

A. I think the cupola might be easier to hit.

B. All the pubbies will know you are stock, and rush you thinking you're no threat at all. If you're lucky enough to survive, you've probably lost too much hp to do anything really effectively to influence a game.

Other than that, the turret is probably just as bad stock (I never played it with the stock turret). The thing with the turret is taht the sides are so weak, you have to be pointed at the enemy at all times, or else you will expose weak sides which are easy to pen by even tier 7's.

I didn't have a huge amount of success in it, but the M103 certainly is a great tank and a formidable enemy, as long as the player is pointing towards me. Otherwise they are fairly unarmored, huge, and seem prone to fires when I hit the rear of the hull. From the front, though... while the armor's sheer thickness might not be as insane as the E75, even the weakest part is egg-shaped and surrounded by huge tracks. Plus that thing WILL find a way to pen, that gun is extremely reliable.

Just a quick question - do you think the M103 is the best pubbing tier 9 heavy?

Just a quick question - do you think the M103 is the best pubbing tier 9 heavy?

I wouldn't know, as it's the only one I've played.