Jesse_the_Scout

Goldapalooza 2014

Am I crazy or has gold usage just starting going nuts the past week for any one else? I've had the mod that shows when people hit you with gold a while now and it seems like usage has just shot through the roof recently. Good players and high tiers often shot a lot of gold but now... bad players, average players, high tier, mid tier, low tier, doesn't even seem to matter, every one's chucking gold. Lots of pointless gold shooting too, high tiers chucking gold at my low tier tanks, people shooting gold at my armorless tanks, much of it just wasted credits. It just seems strange that it's some sudden influx, maybe the missions are giving every one more credits to burn? Is this just a coincidence on my end or did I miss something?

Am I crazy or has gold usage just starting going nuts the past week for any one else? I've had the mod that shows when people hit you with gold a while now and it seems like usage has just shot through the roof recently. Good players and high tiers often shot a lot of gold but now... bad players, average players, high tier, mid tier, low tier, doesn't even seem to matter, every one's chucking gold. Lots of pointless gold shooting too, high tiers chucking gold at my low tier tanks, people shooting gold at my armorless tanks, much of it just wasted credits. It just seems strange that it's some sudden influx, maybe the missions are giving every one more credits to burn? Is this just a coincidence on my end or did I miss something?

All tanks are profitable, the side effects of which are a multitude of players can afford premium rounds and even more can afford to dribble their way to 10 and stay there - it's been going on for a while. I can afford to run coffee etc 100% in pubs - this should never be the case. It is what it is.

Ever since I got the mod that shows what ammo is being shot at you it seems like 90 percent of pubs run gold ammo.  Low tiers especially.  High tiers ive found the better players shoot a lot of gold ammo at me, even when I am in something that doesn't require gold ammo to pen, like the rhoomba.  Maus shooting a rhoomba with gold, is just too funny.

Expect nothing but gold.

This.

I know this isn't a complaint thread, but there have been loads of them popping up on the official forum about gold usage. I always anticipate gold will be shot at me and try to play accordginly. With the missions and all the free credits running around, I think we'll only see more in the future.

This.

I know this isn't a complaint thread, but there have been loads of them popping up on the official forum about gold usage. I always anticipate gold will be shot at me and try to play accordginly. With the missions and all the free credits running around, I think we'll only see more in the future.

Prehaps the pubbies have found the HE always does damage, and have now done enough damage with HE to have the credits to spam gold?

Plus...

Gold ammo for credits = worst thing WG has ever done.

Of the influx of gold I've felt literally half of it has to have been completely pointless. An E-75 shooting gold at my T29's front hull point blank 3 times in a row? T14 shooting gold at a T40? KV-1 gold vs. T-25? It's not like, "oh no, gold" as much as, "Wtf? Why? And how are you affording this? And why now and not the million other battles before?" I'd say maybe 15% of the rounds shot at me used to be gold, lately it's maybe 25%.

Of the influx of gold I've felt literally half of it has to have been completely pointless. An E-75 shooting gold at my T29's front hull point blank 3 times in a row? T14 shooting gold at a T40? KV-1 gold vs. T-25? It's not like, "oh no, gold" as much as, "Wtf? Why? And how are you affording this? And why now and not the million other battles before?" I'd say maybe 15% of the rounds shot at me used to be gold, lately it's maybe 25%.

Gold ammo for credits + XVM = gold at you?

My favorite was when I was in my IS-6 and some guy was shooting nothing but gold at me, then I put an APCR in his face and he called me a "gold spamming wallet warrior".

Huehuehue give me your tears pub!

If I have a premium shell loaded when i see a lightly armored tank, I'm not going wait ~10 seconds to reload an AP shell.  I shoot a lot of gold because I want to guarantee penetration, and if I'm not sure what tanks I'm going to be shooting at, better safe than sorry.  

"haha lern 2 aim skrub"

Sometimes I don't have time to aim, or I'm shooting at range.  It's all about the min-maxing.  

I think people are realizing these benefits, and just loading up premium ammo more frequently.  Especially when, as stated above, I still make money/break even when spamming premium, because it helps me win.

I was in my Tiger (P) last night and had a comet get on my flank. He fired several (I lost count, but at least 6) gold rounds into my side. Anfields mod pack also uses the round indicator so I know who and what is firing at me. 

So yeah, the gold rounds are aplenty. That being said, I am thinking about switching back to nothing but gold in my IS-6. You cannot afford the long aim times when everyone is spamming gold at you. And even with all gold, you can still make over 50k a match in it.

Gold ammo for credits = worst thing WG has ever done.

Disagree.

They removed a pay to win element from the game. Thats a good thing. Good players always adapt to the current meta.

If I have a premium shell loaded when i see a lightly armored tank, I'm not going wait ~10 seconds to reload an AP shell.  I shoot a lot of gold because I want to guarantee penetration, and if I'm not sure what tanks I'm going to be shooting at, better safe than sorry. 

This!

If I have gold loaded, in anticipation of needing it, i'm not going to switch to prevent someone's feelings getting hurt. Here's a tip: I look at my mini map. Did I really want to spend my gold round on your T71? Nope, but there is an IS-7 behind the hill to your left.

My favorite is if someone is in say... an ST-I. I shoot gold, they cry about it. Too many scrub ass players play heavily armored tanks because they hope it will cover up their deficiencies in angling/awareness/map positioning. It doesn't, and it makes you look stupid. 

What really makes me nuts are those who say "learn to aim at weakspots." Again, usually made by shit players. Yes, I'm the one who needs to learn the game. Not shooting gold doesn't make you more skilled or somehow a more "pure" version of a tanker. It makes you ridiculous for not using what tools are available because of some stupid sense of fairness.

Gold slinging looks as if it's here to stay. If they went back to gold rounds for gold, good players would still waste people and scrubs would still be scrubby. It's part of the game, deal with it. Play as if every round fired at you is gold.

p.s. sorry for the mini-rant. I just got 3 warning points slapping down moron pubs in the official forums on 2 separate threads and my blood is up on this topic. 

If they have xvm and are smart why wouldn't they use gold? Your most likely one of the best players on the enemy team which means your a huge threat. I always aim to eliminate the biggest threats early so if that means loading gold so that rng doesn't ruin a well placed shot.

Obviously if you were in a squashy tank I would just fire away but if there was any question of whether I would pen you, I'm switching to gold.

A couple of days ago I killed a capping Roomba in my T69 and he started screaming at me in chat because I used HEAT rounds, calling me a no kill loser who can't aim and needs gold rounds to win yadayadayada. 

Bitch do you even understand how autoloaders work? The cap bar was at 75% with 2 people on cap, did you REALLY expect me to wait ~23 secs to switch my clip to AP JUST to kill you? Your armor is paper...would it really have mattered what rounds I used?

I also find it very irritating when light tank drivers especially start yelling in chat when I shoot them with a gold round. Trust me if I had the time to switch to an AP round, I would. If I had HE loaded I would have shot that at you too. You show up, I shoot you with whatever I have loaded at that moment. Get over it.

If getting shot with gold rounds causes you that much grief why don't you be polite enough to let me know in advance when you are going to show up so I have time to switch ammo. 

The other thing with XVM is you know the better players will expose themselves to fire less, so you better make that shot count.

Maybe I need to clarify: I'm confused about the change in behavior. A couple weeks ago gold seemed uncommon, and seemingly suddenly it's increased significantly. The XVM yellow I platoon with while playing at my house was getting hit like crazy with it too this weekend when we played heavily together. I'm wondering if any else has noticed a sharp uptick or if it's simply been a statistical oddity or perception gap on my part.

Couple weeks? I'm guessing it's perception, I haven't noticed that and I don't know anyone who has mentioned it.  As I alluded to above, I think pubbies are gradually realizing the definite benefits and relatively low cost of shooting lots of premium.  I can't think of any recent disruption that would cause a dramatic change such as the one you describe.

Well when I was in my amx 50 100 in a t10 battle.  I am loading my gold drum first.  I come up on a t44 and fire my gold rounds at him.  Into his side actually, then he starts complaning about me firing gold at him in chat.  I will not change my 50 sec drum just for him.  Now if I am in something else and I already have a gold round loaded, I will fire it and not wait.  Just my 2 cents as I have seen an uptick of people complaining of gold rounds in chat.

By the way, what is that mod called.  I am interested in running it for a bit.

I do not know the exact name of the mod, but it is part of many mod packs. I use Anfields and it is part of that, so you might check out his thread on the official forums and see if he has it listed.

Edit: This is what he lists, do not know if it is the official name or not.

• Received Damage Announcer

Thanks, took a quick gander on it over on curse and couldnt find it.  Ill take a closer look tomorrow.

These things tend to flare up when there has been prem ammo sales or missions that gave out large amounts of credits. Heck, there are many tanks that I ran entirely with gold now unless I am very certain that I don't need it (T-150, KV-5, Comet, AMX 13 90 and WT E-100), it is too easy to stay in the green if you actually manage to pen 80%+ of your shots.

Expect things to get a lot worse this year as the lack of new tanks trees means that people will have to find a way to spend their creds....yeah right.