Sign in to follow this  
ikone_zg

STA-1 setup

Just got this strange little tank . So . What equipment to use and for love of G*d. HOW TO STOP THAT ENGINE MODULE DESTRUCTION .

Any tips on how to play it is welcome

Thx 

signature.png

I try to play it as a mobile terrain abuse support fire unit. Granted, its accuracy is not great, but It actually has decent camo, good penetration and gun dep. The mantlet is extremely unreliable and the armor nonexistent. Plus that tumor on top of the turret makes close-in hull down difficult to execute.

I have a good game posted in my Replay thread.

I use the standard trinity: VS/Rammer/Optics.

Vstab/rammer/optics. Unfortunately it's reminds me rather much of a Pershing without any of the redeeming features, so really your role is to shoot people and not get shot. Ever.

Strangely enough I am doing better in it than in my Pershing, but my Pershing stats are also irrevocably tainted by prior badness.

Also I posted some more STA-1 games

Everyone wants to say that the STA-1 is a shittier Pershing and I wholly disagree. Pershing is sort of slow and lumbering, with that incredible turret armor and a really solid combo of gun handling and a fantastic APCR round. It plays more like a bully medium that uses terrain to the fullest. 

I think the STA-1 compares more closely to the Indien-Panzer or even T-44. Neither of those tanks have any real armor to speak of. The T-44 takes best in tier mobility and gives you good gun handling at the cost of penetration and protection. Indien-Panzer gives you high accuracy, decent dpm, and all the penetration you could need on a squishy platform that is rather sluggish. The STA-1 gives you a blend of both of these. Great penetration, great DPM, good enough gun handling, and more than adequate mobility on a platform that is not really any less effectively protected than the other two tanks.

This is just my personal feeling so I could be off the mark here, but the STA feels like it has better camo to me than the IP, and its increased mobility and gun depression give it the edge for me as a long range camo sniper. The gun is easier to use and get damage with than the T-44, so again the STA wins out in the role of being able to make its gun have an impact in the match. Right now this tank is definitely a keeper for me, alongside the Pershing. 

Everyone wants to say that the STA-1 is a shittier Pershing and I wholly disagree. Pershing is sort of slow and lumbering, with that incredible turret armor and a really solid combo of gun handling and a fantastic APCR round. It plays more like a bully medium that uses terrain to the fullest. 

I think the STA-1 compares more closely to the Indien-Panzer or even T-44. Neither of those tanks have any real armor to speak of. The T-44 takes best in tier mobility and gives you good gun handling at the cost of penetration and protection. Indien-Panzer gives you high accuracy, decent dpm, and all the penetration you could need on a squishy platform that is rather sluggish. The STA-1 gives you a blend of both of these. Great penetration, great DPM, good enough gun handling, and more than adequate mobility on a platform that is not really any less effectively protected than the other two tanks.

This is just my personal feeling so I could be off the mark here, but the STA feels like it has better camo to me than the IP, and its increased mobility and gun depression give it the edge for me as a long range camo sniper. The gun is easier to use and get damage with than the T-44, so again the STA wins out in the role of being able to make its gun have an impact in the match. Right now this tank is definitely a keeper for me, alongside the Pershing. 

I could agree with much of that. Some nitpicks:

The STA-1 is truly terribly protected. While the T-44's armor is unimpressive to tier 8/9 tanks, the difference is that that heavily sloped 90 mm frontal will bounce LTs/lower tier MTs, whereas the STA's 40 mm bounces not much. It also makes arty particularly annoying, and an FV 304 will pen EVERY DAMNED TIME.

The STA-1 has the 5th best camo in-tier, at 15.47%. That lags behind the 416, 34-2, 44, and Type 59, but is noticeably ahead of the Pershing's 12.99% and IP's 11.86%

I could agree with much of that. Some nitpicks:

The STA-1 is truly terribly protected. While the T-44's armor is unimpressive to tier 8/9 tanks, the difference is that that heavily sloped 90 mm frontal will bounce LTs/lower tier MTs, whereas the STA's 40 mm bounces not much. It also makes arty particularly annoying, and an FV 304 will pen EVERY DAMNED TIME.

The STA-1 has the 5th best camo in-tier, at 15.47%. That lags behind the 416, 34-2, 44, and Type 59, but is noticeably ahead of the Pershing's 12.99% and IP's 11.86%

Yeah arty can be a real pain, but in my ideal world I'm not getting lit up all over the place for arty to drop in on me, and when I am, it's when I am arty safe anyway. Keyword ideal lol.

Only mildly related, but where do you get the hidden stat values from? I've never known where they come from.

Yeah arty can be a real pain, but in my ideal world I'm not getting lit up all over the place for arty to drop in on me, and when I am, it's when I am arty safe anyway. Keyword ideal lol.

Only mildly related, but where do you get the hidden stat values from? I've never known where they come from.

WOTinfo has camo values.

The other soft stats I pull from Tank Inspector, or WoTNews here: http://wot-news.com/game/tankinfo/en

I am horrible at arty avoidance, I must say. I sit in the open too much, and play perhaps overly aggressively.