I found this forum by clicking the forum link after checking my stats.  Started with WOT in 2012 and took a long break so when I came back not that long ago, I had some idea of what to expect from the game.

I decided to register here after seeing references to this forum in the "official" WOT forum while looking for help on the VK3002 v VK3601 question recently.  The German tree doesn't look anything like I remember it being back then.

I don't have a lot of games in compared to others but I figured if I'm trying to get better that this would be an open place for questions, help and such.  I came into this game thinking I wanted the Panther above all but I'm seeing that the Panther may not be quite what I expect and I've spent most of my time so far in heavies (British, US T1, M6 line and Russian IS line with some time in the VK3001h as well) and some TDs.  

I saw a thread in the other forums on help for the Panther and that led me to another thread where Garbad talked about optics over binocs or vents and that brings me to my question.  I've set up my new (4 games in) vk30.02m with rammer, optics and camo and I'm wondering if that's a good setup or if there is a more optimal one in the opinion of folks here?

I want to play it mostly as a mobile sniper  and I do tend that direction even with heavies as I've found it wise to play more safely and conservatively than maybe I did when I first started.  The only medium line I've done anywhere near well with so far has been the US line and I'm in the M4 there so I know I'm still learning mediums with a long way to go.  

Again, glad to be here and thanks.

Welcome to the forums. If you're going for a more passive playstyle I recommend running Rammer/Optics/GLD. The only viable alternative is to replace the GLD with Vents for a more aggressive playstyle. Camo Net is a very poor choice because the 3002M relies on pumping out many shots to deal damage and the camo bonus from the Net is reduced to nearly nothing when you fire. It also provides a per-class bonus to camouflage, and medium tanks get a lower bonus than TDs and light tanks. It's almost never the proper choice for any tank.

Welcome to the forums. If you're going for a more passive playstyle I recommend running Rammer/Optics/GLD. The only viable alternative is to replace the GLD with Vents for a more aggressive playstyle. Camo Net is a very poor choice because the 3002M relies on pumping out many shots to deal damage and the camo bonus from the Net is reduced to nearly nothing when you fire. It also provides a per-class bonus to camouflage, and medium tanks get a lower bonus than TDs and light tanks. It's almost never the proper choice for any tank.

^This.

Also, a Camo Net does nothing unless you are stationary for three seconds -- it instantly deactivates while you are moving, so it does almost nothing for you with the way you want to play the Panther.   My setup would be Vents, Optics, Rammer.  GLD only drops your aim time from 2.21 to 2.01 seconds with a 100% crew (from Tank Inspector).  Vents drop it to 2.16 -- a difference of only 0.15 seconds is not worth it, imo, given all the other benefits of Vents (to View Range, ROF, Terrain resistance, Aiming circle spread, Accuracy).

Good luck with the Panther.  I personally couldn't make it work for me -- very frustrating vehicle.  It's worth sticking with it to get to the E50, though :thumbup:

Thank you! both  :thumbup:  fortunately the net can be dropped with no penalty so I'll be swapping that out immediately and adding either vents or GLD depending on what I've got in the depot.  Thanks again

Well I think my German medium experiment may be coming to a close.  Sometimes kind of hard to tell and such because I really want to do well in these tanks but....

I'm posting the stats for my vk30.02m and Panther M10 v. some comparable tier heavies and I could be wrong but from what I'm seeing, I may need to stick with heavies for now. 

For some reason I did better with the following equipment loadout and playing like a TD (as has been suggested for the Panther) 

Camo Net, Rammer (Vents initially), Optics. I had dropped the net initially and wound up going back to it after the wotinfo comparison showed a 10 point difference in camo without it (plus I did much better with it for some reason) while the difference between GLD and not seemed very negligible as Jerol pointed out.  

Thoughts.comments, suggestions, observations, etc etc of any sort appreciated because I absolutely hate to lose and I think I'm my own worst critic but sometimes miss the obvious.

Mediums

bZEW4pG.jpg

S2OPDxR.jpg

Heavies at similar tier

H5mczE8.jpg

403ne7W.jpg

1GJBf0J.jpg

t8Y39YX.jpg

Brian, I probably shouldn't even be posting on here if you consider my stats, but I think I have an idea on what your about.

Regardless of the tank in question you like playing in a TD style. Not aggressive but forcefully applying yourself as a sniper and support tank. The con side of using your tanks of choice that way is that you forfeit some camo ability but you do gain more armour protection and can take more hits. This can work but I think you may have found it needs you to set up further back from the front and rely on others to light up targets for you. If im close to being correct I don't see a need for a rammer and would play with vents as your not in need of loading speed and could get more overall benefit from vents. I assume you camo paint the tanks for each scenario, and have studied camo / sniper techniques so the only other thing is to study each and every map for firing lanes and terrain spots that can be utilised to you style of play.

I wish I was at least a greenie, but its seems just to be a dream for me.

Good luck

Brian, I probably shouldn't even be posting on here if you consider my stats, but I think I have an idea on what your about.

Regardless of the tank in question you like playing in a TD style. Not aggressive but forcefully applying yourself as a sniper and support tank. The con side of using your tanks of choice that way is that you forfeit some camo ability but you do gain more armour protection and can take more hits. This can work but I think you may have found it needs you to set up further back from the front and rely on others to light up targets for you. If im close to being correct I don't see a need for a rammer and would play with vents as your not in need of loading speed and could get more overall benefit from vents. I assume you camo paint the tanks for each scenario, and have studied camo / sniper techniques so the only other thing is to study each and every map for firing lanes and terrain spots that can be utilised to you style of play.

I wish I was at least a greenie, but its seems just to be a dream for me.

Good luck

you hit the nail on the head and thank you for posting as that's exactly what I'm about.  I do need to learn the current/new maps and that is proving to be an ongoing process.  

You should always run with a Rammer, a 10% DPM increase is just too powerful. Even if you have a campy playstyle there will be times when you are DPMing down a tank in the open or flank/get flanked and have to brawl in close quarters, and it's necessary for those situations.

Thank you all for the advice and hanging in there with me.  Its very early going but I think I found my tank/line to make my first long term focus up the tiers.  After an awesome time with the T-34-76(?) I started the chinese medium line (currently T34 there as well) and just got into the T-34-85 (see below, still early going but..... why yes I believe I will  :thumbup:

Thanks again and this is definitely more fun than my Panther 

post-10454-0-25652600-1395638399_thumb.j