Vortus

Should Clans get punished when players are caught cheating during CW?

When in my sophmore year in high school, we were having an undefeated season.   Halfway in, one of our starters was discovered to be inelgible due to grades and had been the whole season.   No idea why it wasn't noticed sooner or if it was covered up till they got caught.   All of the wins were wiped, and pretty much killed our season.   Of course, in this case it was clearly defined by the rules and they were enforced.  

WoT is a bit different.   There are rules, except the rules provide enouigh grey area to allow questionable mods.   And some that seem to be clearly against the rules are seemingly condoned on WoT's own forums.  Most clans seem to do a good job at self policing themselves.    But what about when it happens in CW.    A player would be instantly dealt with from what I have seen for being an ass in pubs let alone in CW.   But outright cheating, thats another ball game entirely.  Should the clan be punished for its members actions during clan wars if caught cheating?

My thoughts are that I think the clan should be punished for the games that the player involved played in.   What that punishment should be however, I have no idea.   Enough to get their attention to cut out the funny business and make sure its members comply, but not the collegiate death penalty either. 

I hope none think this is against -G-.   Or any clan in particular, the incident with Sela just brought out the subject itself.   As we (HARM) had a player get a forum ban for a posted video as well.   

So, should Clans get punished if a member is caught cheating in CW?    And if so, how?

This is a bit moot since most CW matches don't involve streamers, and WG has no means/willingness to police things more completely.

That said, if we're indulging in the assumption that WG would catch it and take action, it's fair to assume it would happen quickly.  Meaning, a clan wouldn't get far on the map due to the mod alone, and once the player/s is/are banned, they would likely get their shit shoved if they were that reliant on it, pretty much correcting the problem.

Unless a clan becomes established AND serial offender, especially with officers, I don't think you can go after something as inherently ephemeral and amorphous as a clan.

I wouldnt consider him cheating since there is no list of banned mods and he was given no warning, and stated he would remove them if needed but until someone told him they were banned, they were used.

In considering punishing a clan for the actions of one you have to consider if there was a way for the clan to know for certain said member was cheating. In this game there really isn't outside of twitch streams showing said cheats, said cheats being broadcast in-game via chat or the member in question admitting to using them. I don't think there is a way for a clan's leadership to definitively prove a member cheats and so I couldn't in conscience condone the punishing of many for one bad apple.

For some of a team not to know if a player is doing something they shouldn't I find hard to believe.   I knew the mods our player was using, and am guilty of not saying anything, not that they would listen anyway.   But there is a certain amount of team responsiblity for each other.   I have called out my own team mates for behavior issues, and been put in my place when I was being a jackass.   

However, for the sake of the discussion, what if one were caught?   It could be argued more than one direction.   If a pro athlete is caught doping, they alone are punished.   But, if a team is doing something (Saints bounties), the team is punished.   If it was player only, did the team still profit by it?   Or was the team complicit?    But yeah, its probably moot until WG has a clear policy and comes out with a punk buster type of program.    Without that, the shadow of a doubt will always be there.

As to touraments, I kinda consider CW as a long term one as gold is on the line there as well.  Not in the amounts of the larger tournaments but its still gold. 

I wouldnt consider him cheating since there is no list of banned mods and he was given no warning, and stated he would remove them if needed but until someone told him they were banned, they were used.

And this isn't about Sela or -G-, but all clans and all players.