Valachio

WZ-120

Been giving it a testrun last evening on the 9.1 CT and I like it. Hope the abysmal gun control (I feel similarity to T-34-3) doesn't kill me. Got the 100mm already researched via the 110. Hope that one's going to be ok, too until I got the top gun.

Been giving it a testrun last evening on the 9.1 CT and I like it. Hope the abysmal gun control (I feel similarity to T-34-3) doesn't kill me. Got the 100mm already researched via the 110. Hope that one's going to be ok, too until I got the top gun.

Just unlocked the tank recently on live server. I would highly recommend unlocking as much as you can before playing the WZ-120. The grind on this tank is painful and it is well worth unlocking almost everything before you reach it. I researched the 113 (for the top gun 122mm) and got the top engine from the WZ-111 1-4. Then I went up the scout line to unlock the other 100mm for it. I only played a few games with the top 100mm before i got the turret and it was not fun grinding. One of the other things about the tank is the UFP is not a thick as the T-54 so get penned a lot more. I'm glad i spent the time unlocking everything before because I would be so pissed trying to grind out all the xp needed to mount the 122.

As said before the tank has a niche roll but its quite fun when you get good games.

Just got this the other day. Really like it but my performance is all over the place in it. First 10-game session was like 3500+ wn8 in it, next time, 2000. I'm used to working with no depression cause of the 111 and 113 but I think it's the gun handling and reload in the end that makes it way easier to drop the ball in critical moments. That, and even if you know how to work with the lack of depression, some areas of the map simply don't work for you in it which can end up sucking if something really needs to be done there. Fun tank to pub around in though.

my win rate took a plummet when grinding to the the wz120 from the wz132. once the top gun is unlocked the amount of damage it can inflict is really rofl! manage to deal 1700+ damage to a wt e100 using 3 HE round. 500+ damage to the side of most tank with AP..rarely need to use gold round as those HEAT round is really unpredictable. top gun is reasonably accurate but the aim time is bad. so used to bad aim time on the E4 so its non issue.

but as usual the gun depression really limits your technical advantage..small terrain bump and you will aim to the sky but still non issue as i'm used to that.

cammo is excellent even after firing the big gun. all in all i like this MT. lets hope the 121 is even better

bleh - just deleted my entire text...

tl;dr: Was accused of cheating due to amazing alpha. camo is great, scouted magic forrest. Necessity to work terrain does teach you to avoid risks.

If youre interested in some slightly above average replays (at least for my skill level), take a look

Will purchase the 121 next week. Cant wait to get the RoF increase (5 to 6.25 rpm =D ), even though I'm a bit scared of the longer chassis. On the other sire, I feel that this tanks is really kind of flat...

Haven't reached it yet, but what bugs me about the high tier chinese non-heavies are their worse paper stats than the russian counterparts: mainly the T-54 vs the WZ-120.

Is this Russian bias? Historical "accuracy"?

Then the mysterious fact that the Type gets +2 unhistorical degrees of depression over the WZ. 

Of course, all I did was the read the wiki, but it seemed that the Type 59 had two main gun upgrades: a copy of the royal ordance L7A1 and a 120mm gun similar to that of the Abrams.

Why not just use those guns instead of some 122mm?

The T-54 is allegedly one of the best tanks in the game thanks to russian bias. So to take this as a benchmark could be a bit saddening ;)

However: The recent Armor changes to the 54 have left the turrent more vulnerable than the 120's turret.

Regarding the depression: It might seem hard or unfair on the first glimpse, but once you get the hang of it, you can work with it. Use terrain, the right opportunities and learn to position your tank (map positioning) and your hull (angling) right.

When it comes to historical accuracy, I cant really help you (and tbh I dont want to comment any further on this matter, as I'm not really interested in historical vs. unhistorical discussions).

I had a lot of fun with the WZ-120 and was really looking forward to 121 which everyone said was better. The longer hull is very annoying and makes getting the gun down more difficult. However, the increased DPM and gun handling on the 121 is a very nice improvement. In the end I just sold the 121 and bought the 113.

I had a lot of fun with the WZ-120 and was really looking forward to 121 which everyone said was better. The longer hull is very annoying and makes getting the gun down more difficult. However, the increased DPM and gun handling on the 121 is a very nice improvement. In the end I just sold the 121 and bought the 113.

I dont know. For my part I find it just as easy to handle the longer hull of the 121 as I did with the 120's shorter body.

What both the 121 and the T-54 are superior in is the UFP. 120mm vs 100mm on the 120 makes a difference.

The increased rate of fire makes it a joy to shred opponents to pieces.

Running Rammer, Vents, BIA and Food, my reload is a mere 7.6 seconds. Paired with the high AP pen I no longer have this "Oh sh!t !" feeling when I happen to meet a t62a or o140 one on one.

On the contrary, I thought twice before I took on a T-54 or the like in the 120, because the reload was way inferior (9.8 secs or so).

However, what the 120 is superior in is a hp/ton ratio and thus acceleration. The 121 feels a bit more sluggish compared to the 120. I did initially miss this wee bit of maneuvarbility, but with a bit of practice this can easily be mitigated through positioning and angling - and in a push, once the 121 rolls (esp. in a wolfpack) you better get out of its way.

What I liked though was the matchmaking. You can so crush T7 and 8s when you happen to be top tier in a game :) Doesnt happen quite as often with the t10 - and if it does, the difference it not that noteworthy anymore.

I like mine. Gun handling is bad so I run food (as I did in the is2) and wz132. Seems to be a trend with Chinese tanks... Your pen is also just low enough to troll you (248 avg, vs 258 and 268 for the comp) so be liberal about using "cheat" rounds.

The gun depression is utter shit but you can use that to your advantage. Because people know it, they don't expect you to do certain things and be in certain spots. I've had great success in doing stupid suicidal perchings to get shots. Enemy would be below completely ignoring me because they know I cant get shots.. well I would say some hail marys and lean over to deliver 500hp of communist china greetings into their upper deck.

Don't be afraid of the tank. Use people's opinions of it to your benefit! And pick your battles. Avoid playing depression controls with tanks that you have no chance against.. say a type 61. Or e50.  The trick is to surprise, not put yourself in a situation they expect you and just wait for you to expose your whole tank to take the shot.

Great tank, but requires a different playstyle compared to most other meds. Currently one of my favorite meds in the game and I play it instead of my T-54 because while it's ability to carry is very close, the WZ-120 usually earns you credits even without premium account while the credit earning potencial of the T-54 is very poor. The awful damage/cost ratio of it's AP ammunition is bad enough, yet the low pen also often requires you to load cHEAT ammo.

The WZ-120 AP ammo is around 100 credits cheaper even thought it does so much more alpha damage and has higher penetration while the repair costs for both tanks seem to be around the same. So yeah, everyone can do the math about what that means for the credit earning potencial when comparing both tanks.

The WZ-120 AP ammo is around 100 credits cheaper even thought it does so much more alpha damage and has higher penetration while the repair costs for both tanks seem to be around the same. 

Pretty much this. I still can't quite fathom how WG can justify the 54's AP prices.

Anyway, not only that, but there is something far more sensual about firing the big gun on the 120. It just feels meaty. From the handling to the sound to the damage it can do. I'm strongly considering switching my 59 crew from the 121 back to the 120 so it can be my 9 med of choice.

Is this tank worth buying and playing?  It sounds like the 100m is junk and it's a terrible grind to get the 120m.  People say it's a good time to free exp to the 120m, but by the time you research that you about have enough to just skip this tank completely and just unlock the 121.  

Then that raises another question, is the 121 worth spending 180k free exp on?

Is this tank worth buying and playing?  .  

Then that raises another question, is the 121 worth spending 180k free exp on?

Yes.

No.

The Wz-120 can give you problems initially, but then its fun. Enjoy ppl calling "haX!!!" because they cant believe a med does a heavies damage? There you go.

Use the freeXP for unlocking modules, not tanks. The 121 is worth shit if you dont know how to play it - you will curse it and regret that you spent XPs on it. Thats what the 120 is for. Play, grind, learn. Then the 121 will be rewarding.

Got 1119 games in the 120. Partly because I didnt grind another line, but on the other hand .. It was fun.

For me, WZ-120 is a tank that is frustrating to play but highly satisfying if strategies go well(brawling,brawling,brawling).

That is pretty much the only reason I keep playing it after missing tons of shots in 200m...

So I'm looking to buy this tank while it's on sale this month(if I can manage to grind out 1.5m credits in time) and I was wondering about the equipment. It seems like a GLD would be nice to help deal with the awful aim time, but is it worth giving up optics for?

The top-gun-grind with the 110 top-gun (100m) feels like the awful T-54 grind with the 218pen gun. This damn 2.9 aimtime is killing me again.

As I consider the WZ-120 the big brother of the T-34-3 (when with top-gun) I'd highly advise going with VStab/GLD/Vents to minimize aim time. It gives you the advantage of having to peek out for a little less time which is additionally helpful with this bad gun depression. Been switching to VStab/GLD/Rammer again as I got BiA on the crew, so that DPM goes up again a bit. There is others in the team to do the spots when in driving this tank.

My humble opinion.

So I'm looking to buy this tank while it's on sale this month(if I can manage to grind out 1.5m credits in time) and I was wondering about the equipment. It seems like a GLD would be nice to help deal with the awful aim time, but is it worth giving up optics for?

I gave up optics for GLD, and I love view range. Running stab and rammer with it, would not swap rammer for vents. The gun works pretty good, but then I'm running it with a 550% crew so that might help out a bit. Awesome tank!

I ground the whole way through the T-34-2 and hated it the entire time.  The gun handling with the 122 was so awful, the armor so awful, the pen so awful, the accuracy so awful, the depression so awful.  It was a test of endurance or something.

The 120 seems like dream to me compared to the T-34-2.  I did give up the rammer and optics and am running vents,stabilizer,gld on the theory that making quick shots and minimizing exposure is more important than sustained dpm.  I can already think of one occasion in my small number of battles where I got edged out for the final shot but it is harder to quantify the times this setup might have resulted in damage versus bounces or misses.