Valachio

WZ-120

2 hours ago, Tarski said:

don't have a crew handy right now.

I wouldn’t worry too much about that. I put a low skill crew in mine after moving its crew up to the U. So no BiA, gun skills, etc. No food. Just repairs, 6th, and partial camo. 0.4 dispersion. 430 don’t give a shit. Makes shots my 0.3 dispersion Leo PTA can only dream of.

Oh, I'll pick up the 430 at some point. I even have a female commander trained for it. 

Interestingly, the WZ-120 (49.82%) does not have the worst global win rate of the tier 9 mediums. It takes 3rd place after the PTA (48.93%) and AP (49.49%). The latter I understand, since I still haven't figured out how not to be trash in the AP. 

Attached files depict turret vs 340 pen HEAT before and after the HD model.

Turns out WG didn't just replace the WZ-120 with the Object 430, they also nerfed the WZ-120 to make sure the last decent Chinese medium tank got totally fucked.

This is, by the way, in a world where WG decided T-54's turret needed to stop all standard ammo .

WG didn't forget the Chinese tree; they made it intentionally shit. And this demonstrates that fucking WG has a long memory.

Screenshot (166).png

Screenshot (167).png

WG didn't just make WZ-120 more ugly, its now an inferior tank to its previous incarnation. I'm sure it has to do with them buffing the 121's gun depression, because now the WZ-120 doesn't have a better turret than the 121.

FUCK WG.

To put icing on the cake, this tank has objectively the worst stock grind in all of WOT.

55 minutes ago, Oicraftian said:

Attached files depict turret vs 340 pen HEAT before and after the HD model.

To be fair that's not a massive difference. And further it's not like it's the armor that is holding the 120 back vs the 430. It's basically everything...

11 hours ago, Ezz said:

To be fair that's not a massive difference. And further it's not like it's the armor that is holding the 120 back vs the 430. It's basically everything...

Considering the consistently vulnerable area has more than doubled in size. That's quite big.

I would have said less green more orange/yellow, but anyway, it's gun was its thing back in a different time. Times change.

This tank is surprisingly...fine. The gun is bad for a tier 9 medium, but the alpha is a bit of a bonus and shots seem to land more often than they should. I won't be keeping it but it hasn't made me suffer. 

Necroing the topic, as this line is currently "Top of the tree" on EU. 

I used blueprints, freexp and the fact that I had the last gun researched, basically to start this line from tier 9, fully upgraded (other than tracks). Boy oh boy what a huge piece of crap this tank is (at least in my hands). 

440 Alpha is great. Pen is good. There is 340 pen HEAT when needed. Mobility is good. Gun handling is bad, but having in mind I play T-34-3 a lot, it is playable, i don't complain much... but damn this tank is not flexible. The lack gun depression is killing me. Literally can't shoot at lower plate of the tank that is standing on the same flat ground as I am. I am trying so hard to craft some angles just to be able to shoot at the opponents, but almost always end up overexposing and getting into horrible trades. Then I try to play conservatively, but that means staying in the back a bit, but long range shots are unreliable at best. I just can't make this tank work. Any advice would be highly appreciated. 

I was searching through Youtube for some content, but all what I've found is quite old. Nobody plays this tank anymore? :( Having in mind that every newly introduced line is hulldown ridge line fighter, no wonder that players are flocking towards those, and away from WZ-120.

Anyone playing it at successfully at the moment, willing to share some advice and/or replays?

I am considering to put on full scout equipment on the WZ-120 :-). That's how "good" the tank is in the current meta.

Waiting for the buff before I continue gun marking it.

As for playing tips: I try to get 1-2 opportunistic shots early with it and then go somewhere where I can brawl.

It's a non comfy tank in a meta driven by comfy tanks. Find your moments then you can actually do what the tank does well.

4 hours ago, 3MAJ86 said:

Necroing the topic, as this line is currently "Top of the tree" on EU. 

I used blueprints, freexp and the fact that I had the last gun researched, basically to start this line from tier 9, fully upgraded (other than tracks). Boy oh boy what a huge piece of crap this tank is (at least in my hands). 

440 Alpha is great. Pen is good. There is 340 pen HEAT when needed. Mobility is good. Gun handling is bad, but having in mind I play T-34-3 a lot, it is playable, i don't complain much... but damn this tank is not flexible. The lack gun depression is killing me. Literally can't shoot at lower plate of the tank that is standing on the same flat ground as I am. I am trying so hard to craft some angles just to be able to shoot at the opponents, but almost always end up overexposing and getting into horrible trades. Then I try to play conservatively, but that means staying in the back a bit, but long range shots are unreliable at best. I just can't make this tank work. Any advice would be highly appreciated. 

I was searching through Youtube for some content, but all what I've found is quite old. Nobody plays this tank anymore? :( Having in mind that every newly introduced line is hulldown ridge line fighter, no wonder that players are flocking towards those, and away from WZ-120.

Anyone playing it at successfully at the moment, willing to share some advice and/or replays?

Never be in a position where you have to snap shot. Never fight hilly engagements. Never poke good tier 8s or 9s hoping they won't snap your hull because they will. Try to find engagements where you can fully aim, e.g. sniping/supporting heavies. 

In general, find tanks that are more inflexible than you are and spam HEAT at them. This gives you 2-3 free shots and the rest is just trading 1v1 until you die. 

I’m finding since I upgraded to the 122 that my damage per game is now a lot more consistent, and it allows you to control engagements if you’re peekabooing.  I’ve actually managed to pick up two tank snipers with it.  You do however need to make sure that you’re fully aimed in before taking the shot, otherwise you’re not going to hit anything.

In contrast, the 100mm has the same inability to snap shot, but you’re forced to expose yourself more, and 320 alpha isn’t enough when you’re not going to consistently hit.

The 3 degrees gun depression sucks balls though, which means that it always feels like you’re struggling with the tank to put its gun into play.

100mm was never a viable gun. It was always the piece of shit gun that had the same issues as on the 110 but even worse because you're faster.

But the big 122mm boomstick can be incredibly reliable at times when it feels like it.

Then again, i was always partial to big giant boom sticks on mobile platforms. I'm an idiot that 3 marked this thing.

I agree, I've just done the (8 module) grind, and the tank doesnt exist until you get the 122mm. I have no idea why they wanted us to grind 3 x 100mm guns on a chinese med before getting the 122mm, but there you go. As soon as you have it, you can actually pen and do huge dmg.

The poor gun dep makes this the 'pit viper' of mediums... always go to the lowest ground, and shoot up. If ridges exist, peek around never over.

Running vents / vert / rammer, which seems to be what the streamers do. Check out Straik's 2 hour stream with 'buffed' WZ on youtube. Note he spams HEAT 24/7 but he's good so ok.