So it's been about 30 days since I decided to not log into WoT anymore.  Picked up Minecraft finally so I could play a game with my 11 year old son and neither of us get frustrated due to disparate skill levels.

I set up a small SMP survival server running 1.7.4 so that he and I could work together.  I'm more goal orientated and prefer function over form.  He's more ADHD and likes to make things look good.

Anyways, so far I've built:

• a fairly massive home base
  • an automated mob spawner that alternates between exp and drop farming with the flip of a lever
  • a series of above and below ground roads and railways
  • 2 village expansions
  • a push-button automatic potion brewing system
  • cobblestone generator
  • Several un-automated farms for all varieties of animals and plants
  • obsidian generator
  • a vast tree farm
  • Tamed way too many dogs, cats, horses, and donkeys
  • 3 zombie spawner farms
  • A nether portal system

I'm currently working on a villager trading hall fed by an automatic villager spawner so I can farm good villager trades and send away crap trades.  This part is all working well, but I'm still working on the villager overflow/bad trade kill system. aka Villager Hell.

I still aspire to:

• Finish my End Portal and slay the Ender Dragon
  • Build an Enderman Farm
  • Build a Blaze Farm
  • Automated sugarcane farm
  • Automated Melon farm
  • Add piston elevators to my mine shafts
  • Automatic cow farm
  • Automate collection of crops
  • Build a roller coaster
  • Collect more skulls, spawn, and kill the Wither
  • Figure out redstone circuitry better so that I can actually create my own stuff rather than bastardizing other's work
  • Go back and make all the other shit I built actually look aesthetically appealing.

What are some cool things you built in Minecraft or some projects that you're really proud of in your worlds?

I just got Minecraft over the weekend for my daughters (they've played for about a month or so between the demos on the PC and the Xbox version).  They've played for a while so they showed me how to do some basic stuff.  Built a small tri-level house, a bridge, and turned a mountain into a waterfall.  Seemed fun, might sneak onto on of their accounts when they go to bed some night and play around.  I did warn them I might create my own world.  Though I'll be playing under a more *ahem* girly name.

A while back I build a massive factory using one of the old FTB modpacks [around the time the first beta pack came out]. I've built a lot of cool things over the years, can't remember them all.

You should post some screenshots, it's cool to see that kind of stuff.

My biggest project on MC was a huge darkroom I made on a server I used to run. Took me about 2 months to finish it because I'm like your son, I need to make things look pretty, not just functional :smiledown:

Made the whole thing right above the ocean next to my house, but the entire estructure was made out of stone bricks instead of just cobblestone ones.

Haven't played in quite a while though, never even updated the game when they added horses and all of that.

Both of my kids play (10 and 7) and have been doing so for a year or more. When they speak of it I have no idea what they are saying. And that after watching them and having them explain things to me. I think it's a lack of interest on my part; the game just isn't appealing to me, mostly because of the (sort of intentionally) crappy graphics. Therefore all of the stuff you posted above ... is that French or something???

So knowing nothing about the game ... you set up a server. Does that mean that others can join you in your world? Thinking that, if so, my son (also a WOT fanatic and a 54%er) would love to go walking around to see what you've built. And maybe meet you and your son virtually. Just a thought ...

One time I turned a mountain into a mob spawner. Another my base was trees grown on other trees with dirt to give some levels and easier travel up and down the tree.

After reading the list of things you have done, I was surpsided that killing the enderdragon was on the list of things you hadn't done :P that's probably one of the first things I do on a new map, allows you infinite enderpearls :)

Let's see....I've made:

• a looong wall around my base, complete with a keep on top of a mountain.
  • a large semi-automatic sheep farm, then found out sheep can clip through fences
  • a large sheep pen
  • an automatic wheat and melon farm
  • an automatic mushroom farm
  • an automatic pig and cow cooker
  • a rail station with redstone based selectable destinations
  • a large mob tower for gathering drops from creepers, zombies, and skeletons
  • a double cave spider XP farm
  • a double blaze spawner XP farm
  • an Ender ender XP farm (best of the bunch)
  • a nice primary storage vault
  • a variety of redstone devices such as automatic cart dispensers, elevators, railway switches
  • a giant hole in the ground (many thousands of TNT used)
  • lit up every cave and every bit of spawnable ground in a 300x300 square around my mob tower

At one point I was thinking of building a basic ALU out of redstone, but never got around to it.  It did, however, inspire me to go learn a bunch of digital logic to understand how a CPU works.  Actually building it in minecraft seemed far too time consuming though.

Building a roller coaster is fun. If you do intend on doing it, make it in a rocky (extreme hills) environment because its more fun. :P It's also easy, but that depends on it's size. Make it as big as possible, the bigger, the better. :D 

The only thing that I managed to built that is not exactly boring was a giant clock tower (powered by redstone). It somehow worked, if you stayed in front of it and counted, because I used my friend's example. 

My favourite is still a work in progress. I tried to build Camelot, realized it was way too hard to make it look exactly how I wanted it, so I just decided to forgo building Camelot and make my own castle with surrounding town and gigantic wall to however I wanted it to look. I've spent about 3 months on it, the wall is about 80% complete, and I'm just starting on putting in houses and other buildings for the town. The castle has a finished first floor, an empty second floor, and nothing above that. I've got fully functioning docks and warehouses outside of the wall.

A while back I build a massive factory using one of the old FTB modpacks [around the time the first beta pack came out]. I've built a lot of cool things over the years, can't remember them all.

You should post some screenshots, it's cool to see that kind of stuff.

I'm playing vanilla SMP, so no mods.  IT's not that I'm against mods necessarily it's that I don't want to play some old 1.6.4 version in order to use them.  I did finally install some texture packs this weekend and have really been liking playing with Chroma Hills.  I'll post some screenshots when I get home.

Both of my kids play (10 and 7) and have been doing so for a year or more. When they speak of it I have no idea what they are saying. And that after watching them and having them explain things to me. I think it's a lack of interest on my part; the game just isn't appealing to me, mostly because of the (sort of intentionally) crappy graphics. Therefore all of the stuff you posted above ... is that French or something???

So knowing nothing about the game ... you set up a server. Does that mean that others can join you in your world? Thinking that, if so, my son (also a WOT fanatic and a 54%er) would love to go walking around to see what you've built. And maybe meet you and your son virtually. Just a thought ...

Yeah, the graphics are crappy on purpose.  There are texture packs out there that change how the game looks though.  You can download or build resource packs to change the game to look however you want really.  There are even some almost photo-realistic resource kits and then you can apply shaders on top of that.

Here's an example of a shader pack on top of the standard (I think) textures:

sH5iY4m.jpg

I do have a server, but I'm running it on my own PC and don't really have good enough internet to be sharing it out to the rest of the world, unfortunately.

Cannons that sent you into the stratosphere, I loved 'em, be happy to come on and build you some :)

Other than that basically everything that relies on TNT and/or game mechanics, particularly the electronic functions of "redstone".

Ahh, forgot about cannons.  Thanks for reminding me.  I have been applying large amounts of TNT to "problems" recently.  By problems I mean holes that weren't there before or land that wasn't previously flat enough.  I thought about adding a TNT kill room into my villager death hall. I think I'd have to make the whole thing out of obsidian and make obsidian piston blast doors to cover the glass.  Not being able to see the explosion would sort of ruin the fun.  I wish you could make blast-proof glass.

After reading the list of things you have done, I was surpsided that killing the enderdragon was on the list of things you hadn't done :P that's probably one of the first things I do on a new map, allows you infinite enderpearls :)

Yeah, I'm surprised I haven't done it yet either.  I found a stronghold and secured the portal room (and mined all of the cool blocks throughout the rest of the stronghold).  I think I need one more Eye of Ender to activate the End Portal, which I probably had back at my home base in a chest but I was too lazy to Nether hop back to get it.  I think I've got around 5 stacks of Ender Pearls right now, but if I had an limitless supply I'd probably actually use them instead of saving them for when I fuck up.

I still haven't managed to tame horses.

Both my kids play though.  I just can't get into it.

That being said, I also just drive/crash around in GTA V for hours on end.  Never gets old.

To tame horses you need to approach with an empty hand and right-click them.  when they stop tossing you off and you get a couple heart bubbles they are tamed.  To find horses look mostly in plains and Savannah biomes.  To ride a horse or donkey you need a saddle.  Can find these in in random loot chests in dungeons, abandoned mines, nether fortress, and desert temples.  You can also get them by fishing.  On a horse you can use a saddle and horse armor.  On donkeys you can use a saddle and add a chest to give the donkey an inventory.  You can breed horses and donkeys with golden apples and golden carrots.  If you breed a horse and a donkey you get a mule, which cannot be bred but otherwise acts mostly like a donkey (can mount a chest).

My favourite is still a work in progress. I tried to build Camelot, realized it was way too hard to make it look exactly how I wanted it, so I just decided to forgo building Camelot and make my own castle with surrounding town and gigantic wall to however I wanted it to look. I've spent about 3 months on it, the wall is about 80% complete, and I'm just starting on putting in houses and other buildings for the town. The castle has a finished first floor, an empty second floor, and nothing above that. I've got fully functioning docks and warehouses outside of the wall.

sticker,375x360.png

My original spawn house ended up being a sort of keep.  I've all but abandoned it because it's something where I started with a little cave, then added some rooms, then I added a house onto the cave.  Eventually I added a massive keep around the house with various interconnected passages and walkways.  Pretty soon I couldn't even figure out how to get around in it because it was such a clusterfuck of add-ons and mismanagement.  I only go back now and then when I need to restock on raw chicken for villager trades because that original house has like 3 chicken farms IN it.  

Now I try to actually plan my builds out ahead of time.

Ahh, forgot about cannons.  Thanks for reminding me.  I have been applying large amounts of TNT to "problems" recently.  By problems I mean holes that weren't there before or land that wasn't previously flat enough.  I thought about adding a TNT kill room into my villager death hall. I think I'd have to make the whole thing out of obsidian and make obsidian piston blast doors to cover the glass.  Not being able to see the explosion would sort of ruin the fun.  I wish you could make blast-proof glass.

1. Make glass box.

2. Place pistons above glass box holding in water. (air,water,glass. In that order.)

3. Watch villagers float into the middle.

4. Yippee ki-yay mother fucker.

Might need a bit of tweeking but works in theory.

That's awesome! My kid sister recently brought her own Minecraft copy and she and I played over the LAN all the time. She's more buildy sort also and I'm more of above ground explorer. In the older Technic modpack, I was proud that I built a nuclear reactor without having it blown up in my face and a huge chunk of the house.

Got it back in June when I was home from work cause of the pain meds I was taking after I broke my jaw. It's not bad while the graphics aren't great I like it as a game for having so much control over what you do and not forced to do certain missions or objectives

I've been playing Minecraft since early beta. It's a very engrossing game, for sure. A friend and I started our own little server a couple of months ago. So far we have a nice little walled town (houses for each of us, some farms, stables for horses, mob grinder machine that I built, etc.) around the spawn. Lately, we've branched out to faraway areas. He's building a castle near a village, I'm building... I haven't decided yet. Probably some sort of mountain fortress in an extreme hills biome if I can find one.

The creation I'm most proud of is a badass castle in a swamp biome that I built in one of my old single player worlds (called Swamp Castle, natch). The courtyard had free range chickens in it because I had a bunch of eggs lying around and decided to throw them in there.

My interest in Minecraft has waxed and waned over the years. Server I usually play on only some months ago got a permanent map going otherwise if was map wipes with each new patch. So far as constructions outside of the norm one project I had going was a Theodosian wall of sort. Exterior was stone bricks, 2 blocks on either side with 3 internal blocks being obsidian. 20 blocks above ground level and the goal of being down to bedrock. I started working on it and got maybe a quarter of one section of the wall done. That section didn't go down to bedrock but it was close to complete above ground. It was a pain in the ass as our server explicitly prohibited the use of glitches and such which meant all obsidian had to be properly mined as it was also a survival server. Ultimate plan was for murder holes and pits of lava, arrow dispensers, TNT traps, day light sensors hooked up to light sources and so on for any who would approach my base and to keep mobs out. Wall would have been roughly 1,000 x 1,000 blocks. I may revive the project in single player. Multi isn't an option as the one I've settled with on the server doesn't want our villagers to feel "trapped"....

Alternatively while we largely use a netherhub to connect all of our bases safely I do wish to construct an over world rail to spawn. It would be over 2,000 blocks long, double rail with room between for mount riding and storage/rest stops periodic. Rail on land would be elevated and the long stretch through the ocean would go under water and be made almost entirely of glass for a scenic view. Already farmed one desert almost dry of sand so I'll probably need to explore for more to make the glass. Last time I went to build such a project it was more.ambitious at 7k blocks away and the server had a map wipe before I could even get the station completed. So you can see why I haven't much outside the norm of building bases done.

Some screenshots of my world as promised in an earlier post.

Home base a few weeks ago:

dljtNNz.png

Home base a few days ago:

4EvoHEx.jpg

From on top of my base:

Part of my tree farm, a livestock paddock, and a raised roadway that heads to a swamp biome far to the north.

NQYQPra.jpg

This one shows my tree farm and the railway to one of my villages.  The cleared out space between the tower and tree farm now has my villager trade center.

y0GnT8b.jpg

This has our cobblestone generator, horse paddock, and in the background is some parkour stuff my son was playing with.  His house is on the horizon past the parkour set.

XAGrPgr.jpg

Pretty much everything under this picture has been mined to bedrock.  There's an enormous void under the earth there.  Many picks were gone through.

nwgbbNj.jpg

Here you can see my original spawn keep.  It's a clusterfuck.  I don't use it anymore.

CeVmpYp.jpg

Fishing pond and gardens inside my main base with a lava falls for decoration.

e9H6LpU.jpg

My enchanting room

mi4rpOP.jpg

Primary nether portal at home base.  Also my original manual potion room.  My nether wart farm is just off this room.

tRyfrJS.jpg

Automatic potion brewing station.  This is just off my nether wart farm.  Push the button below the brewing station and it drops in 3 bottles and then drops in the appropriate ingredients in the proper order.

NSMCJLQ.jpg

W1vGi25.jpg

My garbage pit.  There's a trapped chest above this.

6In2PHi.jpg

Villager trading hall and villager spawning system.  Will post some pictures of the villager kill hall later when I get the redstone all done and test it out.

FxgqICH.jpg

This cavern was made with TNT™

ZWQ1qry.jpg

Been playing Minecraft off and on since 1.7.3 - I say off and on because I go through phases it seems.  A game will come out around when I'm worn out on MC, but I'll always come back to it.

So far, my crowning achievement is my current single player world.  I've built:

- a Sandstone Temple complete with hidden treasure chamber, double Cave Spider XP farm, and a number of automatic farms underground

- a long (1000-ish block) railway in a glass tunnel under the water, leading out to an island in a massive lake (used a mapping tool to find it, the perfect spot)

- built a MASSIVE spire from y=12 all the way up to like, y=120 or so.  I have pics to prove.  What I did up there was build a series of concentric rings and platforms, which have pens for all farmable animals and plants (well, most - sugarcane, netherwart, potatoes, etc).  All automatic, save the animals and trees

- also made an Ender-Ender (Enderman farm for XP and pearls), and have been working on other projects, like traditional mob farms for the other materials

- I also have a nether hub - not pretty but it is functional!

A while back, I also started (but never finished unfortunately) a project to turn an island about 4 biomes large into a sort of medieval land according to my whims.  It turned out fairly well - I came up with a number of build styles I'll use in the future, and had a lot of fun with it.  Never finished, but I keep all my worlds!

I don't have any pics at the moment, but if anyone's interested, I could definitely take some.  It's pretty impressive, even for me when I look at it.  Originally, that world stared as a private server I had with friends, but as they drifted away from MC, I took it down and use it as my own SP world.

That said... if someone has a server up, or would like to start one (I'd totally be up for pitching in a few bucks for my part), I'd be all for having a WoTlabs/private server.  I've been feeling the craving lately, you see...

I’ve run a minecraft server in the past, or at least paid the $5 a month to have it hosted on a third party site (gameservers.com iirc, although I wouldn’t particularly recommend that site after having used it.)

I’d be more than happy to kick in a few bucks a month if someone wants to set one up, but I don’t think I could be up to the task of maintaining/updating the whitelist in anything resembling a timely fashion.  It’d be worth a couple bucks just to build my automated chicken cooker device on a server where someone else could appreciate/get accidentally burned alive by it.

I’ve run a minecraft server in the past, or at least paid the $5 a month to have it hosted on a third party site (gameservers.com iirc, although I wouldn’t particularly recommend that site after having used it.)

I’d be more than happy to kick in a few bucks a month if someone wants to set one up, but I don’t think I could be up to the task of maintaining/updating the whitelist in anything resembling a timely fashion.  It’d be worth a couple bucks just to build my automated chicken cooker device on a server where someone else could appreciate/get accidentally burned alive by it.

More than happy to split the pay cheque with you.