Dlur

Minecraft Thread

Site I used was Multicraft, and it ran perfectly.

As for what I'd bring to the server?  Large, ambitious projects.  That's about it really, heh.

Sounds interesting! I'd definitely play, although I have little talent for building things quickly. 

Site I used was Multicraft, and it ran perfectly.

As for what I'd bring to the server?  Large, ambitious projects.  That's about it really, heh.

Perhaps you could build/plan the spawn, lol.

Sounds interesting! I'd definitely play, although I have little talent for building things quickly. 

Perhaps you could build/plan the spawn, lol.

I can build a central hub, sure.  Just so long as no one builds within... a 500 block radius or so.  Just to be sure.

If you do set up a server you may wish to consider loggers in the event someone starts griefing as it sounds like you're all leaning away from PvP being enabled.

When it comes to Minecraft, when I try to build giant things, I generally tend to not know exactly what I'm building and this leads to me not building anything... (I need to get better at Minecraft?)

This might revitalize my interest in Minecraft.

Was thinking the same thing. 

If you do set up a server you may wish to consider loggers in the event someone starts griefing as it sounds like you're all leaning away from PvP being enabled.

Used to help run some aussie MC servers, so basically its just install Bukkit + MySQL (which should come installed on a good server) + Logblock or some equivelant. Logblock was good for rolling back griefers and logging their actions.

Haven't played it in ages though, so a new server API might be up. But a PvE server might be what you're after, if you want legit builds. Otherwise you just make a creative server with item spawning.

I play it on and off, but playing alone i end up getting bored before i do anything big.

I also quite dislike the new world generation from 1.7, there's just too much forests.

Too much everything in it. Server I play on turned biome size back to default for a chance all biomes will be a decent distance away and not gems of kilometers.

It would be pretty easy to police the server honestly.  Whitelist it, only let in those we trust and/or are pitching in for the costs, stick in bukkit/whatever management mods we want, and do regular backups and such.  Easy.

Personally, I'd prefer a vanilla server, but I am fond of FTB and such as well.

Honestly, the most fun I'd probably get out of it would come from exploring and seeing what other folks get up to building, and having them check out whatever I'm doing.

Also, yeah, I'm not a big fan of PvP in Minecraft.  Combat ain't that conducive to it honestly.

Yeah, we run bukkit with core protect 2 plugin for it to allow for ease of use in the event we are unable to access the game.

I decided a couple nights ago that just collecting drops from my mob farm into a chest was too basic for my tastes, so I went about building an automatic item sorter that sorted all of the various drops that come from skeletons, zombies, creepers, and witches into appropriate chests.  I got that all built in the general area of where the mods drop and fall to their death about 20 layers below my main base.  I made it go around both sides of the room to take better advantage of available space and is working great.

Then I thought to myself, why don't I add a drop chest on the main floor of my base that carries things down to this sorting system to be put into chests.  This works great, but most things are ending up in the overflow chests because I don't have specific chests for each item beyond what the basic mobs spawn.  Sooooo, then I started digging and ended up expanding my sorting room and instead of doing a sorter node every other tile I ended up using trapped chests to tile the sorter nodes in a 1-wide space and then expanded the whole system down the row about 25 additional nodes.  So now I've got myself about 70 chests and have them all set up to sort items from the AutoSort drop chest OR the mob farm drops.  There's still quite a few items that I need to add to this, mostly blocks for building, some of which will require stacked double chests (like stone and cobblestone).  Everything so far is working great and I've got things planned out for the expansion.

Then I got to thinking how nice it would be if I could add an automatic smelter/cooker to this setup.  So I added another drop chest next to my AutoSort drop chest that leads down to yet another room below my base that is next to my AutoSort room.  I'm designing it such that I can drop anything I want into this chute.  If it can be cooked or smelted, it will be.  If it's fuel it will get sorted out, stored, and fed into the furnaces. If it's something that could be fuel (raw logs) it will get sorted prior to the fuel, fed through a separate furnace, and turned into charcoal.  Anything that's not fuel or not capable of being fuel will pass through and get dropped into furnaces.  I'm currently toying with the idea of setting up separate banks of multiple (8 per) furnaces for iron ore, gold ore, and cobblestone->stone so that they can be smelted in sort of a multi-threaded setup.  Anything else (raw meat for example) will pass along and get processed by 2 more auto furnaces.  Then all of the outputs from all of the furnaces (except charcoal, which got fed into the fuel line) and anything that accidentally got dropped into the Smelt/Cook chest that wasn't cookable will feed back into the primary AutoSort system and be deposited in chests. 

So far I've got the charcoal part of things working and have set up the fuel sorting.  Tonight I'll start laying out the furnaces.  The amount of iron I've burned through already is staggering.  Once I get the AutoSmelt done then I'll finish expanding the AutoSort chest array to include various types of stone and whatnot.  After that I'll be laying down some rail and adding in some minecarts with chests to carry items to this facility for processing from other bases and mines.  I'll probably even run a rail line through the Nether to save resources.

I'll take some screenshots when it's more finished and looking half-way decent.

Ok, so you know how with a furnace you can input 2 nodes and export 1.  The fuel input is selective and will only allow the furnace to accept actual fuel items, such as wood anything, coal, charcoal, blaze rods, and lava buckets.  I wish the item-to-be-smelted/cooked input would do the same thing so that I didn't have to explicitly pre-sort everything that I may ever wish to consider cooking or sorting going through my furnace factory.

What are some good guides I should learn from with all of this automation and creation?

I guess I just started out reading the Minecraft Wiki to learn the basics of how redstone circuits and most of the contraptions (pistons, droppers, hoppers, dispensers etc) work and then I watched a bunch of YouTube videos to get ideas.  I particularly like EthosLab, DataLess82, and MumboJumbo as far as YouTube channels for Minecraft go.  I also subscribe to 3 subreddits for minecraft.  /r/minecraft, /r/redstone, and /r/minecraftinventions.  Lots of trial and error too. :)

Since the wotlabs server is down, I was running through my single player world taking a few pictures:

My main base area:

2014-03-18_212751_zps88050c61.png

2014-03-18_212925_zpsfd86284f.png

2014-03-18_213135_zps31e36a36.png

Nice little wheat/reed farm:

2014-03-18_213214_zps044afce1.png

My crafting/storage building:

2014-03-18_213019_zps57a660ff.png

The storage area is underneath, you can ride the water columns down to it.

2014-03-18_213036_zpseaacc3a7.png

2014-03-18_213058_zps407cd9dd.png

Mob tower:

2014-03-18_213127_zpseded9216.png

Ender ender:

2014-03-18_213438_zpsfe37340a.png

2014-03-18_213512_zps8a637612.png

Following the trend, I figure I might as well post pics from my last SP world as well, because why not...

Starting off, my first project, which was actually finished: the Desert Temple.

First, the exterior.  This is a 4x4 piston door, which opens (and is shown here open) and closes at the flip of a lever.  There's two of them for this fort.  They're a PITA to build though.  Didn't think to grab one while it was closed... they're made of Lapis blocks though.

2014-03-18_173007_zpsd75b6cd8.png

Next, a pic of the temple proper, at night.  Excuse the torches on the pyramid, mobs like to spawn up there...

2014-03-18_173017_zps3587fbff.png

Lastly, the interior of the Temple.  Glowstone... and an old, closed, Nether portal.

2014-03-18_172955_zpsc47c1bec.png

Moving along, I found an island out in a large lake/small ocean, and had the perfect idea for it.  But to get there... I needed a railroad.  Underwater.

2014-03-18_172812_zps5f8e0dfc.png

Here it is... the Spire Project.  Dug a large shaft down to lava-lake level, and up to about y=120, where I started the platforms.  Basically, it is a central hub, and is linked to a Nether hub as well (shown at the end).  It has everything you'd need up there - farms for every farmable plant, pens for all animals (and every color of sheep), as well as limited tree-farming facilities, and a storage tower.

A view from below...

2014-03-18_172745_zpsb808f1f8.png

Looking down into the shaft.  I had an idea to make the shaft, and the cavern beneath (which took FOREVER to dig out, but provided the stone I needed for the upper sections) into a sort of Dwarven City.  Never got around to it though.  Also included, a view of the chamber (painstakingly circular, with a curved roof), and a view looking up (obscured slightly by void fog).

2014-03-18_173259_zps64d25e44.png

2014-03-18_173330_zps731394fb.png

2014-03-18_173322_zps3d9a3766.png

2014-03-18_173313_zps29729522.png

Last set of pictures here... shots of the top.  The inner rings contain the mostly-automated farms for plants, and the outer ring contains the tree farm, cactus, coconut, and all the animal pens.  Up on the upper-most platform is the Nether Hub connection, in a temple that I WAY over-designed.

2014-03-18_172647_zps906f8c6e.png

2014-03-18_172536_zpseb88ea59.png

2014-03-18_172553_zpse33f0d7b.png

2014-03-18_172553_zpse33f0d7b.png

2014-03-18_172614_zps6b3e5c3e.png

One final note... in the view looking at the central platforms, you can see rings of Redstone Lamps.  Those are all tied to daylight sensors and only light up when it gets to be almost dark enough for mobs to spawn.  Pretty neat thing - I might even do it for my city on the server, if it doesn't lag it too much.  It'd take a lot of redstone though.

Anybody still plays MC?

I've got interested in it again but this time i'm playing with a big modpack, the Direwolf20 pack from Feed the Beast.

Haven't built anything cool yet but am having fun figuring out all the stuff from the mod. I feel in love with the advanced toolmaking from Tinker's Construct. Last night i made a Bronze/Alluminite hammer that mines in a 3x3 area and has 14k durability.

We have a 'BOner server (again). Mostly vanilla with some chest-locking and what not.

I usually spend the first few days fleshing out my home base and then I like to lay down a cobble road system connecting spawn with all of our major building areas. After that I build city streets around my house and erect some sweet homes and amenities. After walling it up I like to draw zombie villagers in and turn them into regular villagers. Once I have 3 or 4 and enough doors are around they start breeding like rabbits. I try to trap ones with good trades.

I was actually disappointed with the introduction of The End and the Ender Dragon... Almost gave the game a point!