chris9000

What does it take to hit 60-day blue?

I've hit a 60-day wall of 1,750 WN8. I think the fact that I gravitate mostly toward tiers 6-7 might be the culprit. Any advice on what else I can do to take things to the next level?

Don't stand for mediocrity/have ridiculously high standards for yourself and be self critical on how you played. You'll never get better preaching "next noob team", not saying you do that but I hope you can see where I'm coming from.

One of the biggest things that held me back was I was too impatient. As i got more patient inwas able to get off another few shots, meaning mote damage and higher wn8. Once I got a little better at that I went from 1800 to over 2000 wn8. I still need to be more patient but at least I'm blue though I feel like that's the main factor that holds me back from being purple   :)

Any advice on what else I can do to take things to the next level?

Fix your mistakes.

At 1700 you are making lots of them, start identifying them and then try to fix them. There's nothing wrong with that either, everyone makes mistakes, the better you are the fewer and the smaller the mistakes become.

Garbad posted a thread about decision making, Maybe have a look at that thread. Download the replays and watch them and when he does something unexpected, figure out why. If you're looking for something else than Mediums, look around the replay threads and have a look there for something for whatever role you need, you might even be able to find some tier 6/7s, but even if you don't own the tanks you can still learn from a tier 9/10 replay.

One of the biggest things that held me back was I was too impatient. As i got more patient inwas able to get off another few shots, meaning mote damage and higher wn8. Once I got a little better at that I went from 1800 to over 2000 wn8. I still need to be more patient but at least I'm blue though I feel like that's the main factor that holds me back from being purple   :)

Yeah, that's been the case for me most definitely. It's like hating moments of silence in conversations. I want things to be constantly happening and I want things decided on my terms. 

I had a similar problem to you, I found one of the best ways to do it, was to simply get better@high tiers. its raising nicely now.

I've been playing tier 5 less and less and I've been slowly "graduating" toward tier 8 while participating in 6s and 7s mostly. Guess I'll have to brush up on the basics again for upper tiers. Super high alpha damage guns have definitely made higher tiers less forgiving of mistakes, even little ones. 

You need to find places to do early damage and then continue to pump damage out the rest of the game.

Don't make bad trades with your health..don't peak out when it's 2 vs you.

Learn how to angle better and work on pre aiming so you can snapshot more.

Fix your mistakes.

At 1700 you are making lots of them, start identifying them and then try to fix them. There's nothing wrong with that either, everyone makes mistakes, the better you are the fewer and the smaller the mistakes become.

Garbad posted a thread about decision making, Maybe have a look at that thread. Download the replays and watch them and when he does something unexpected, figure out why. If you're looking for something else than Mediums, look around the replay threads and have a look there for something for whatever role you need, you might even be able to find some tier 6/7s, but even if you don't own the tanks you can still learn from a tier 9/10 replay.

Guessing you're referring to

You need to find places to do early damage and then continue to pump damage out the rest of the game.

Don't make bad trades with your health..don't peak out when it's 2 vs you.

Learn how to angle better and work on pre aiming so you can snapshot more.

I only started appreciating the importance of early damage at about 8,000 battles. Come to think of it, I still need to get a handle on good early sniping spots on certain maps. Got my arse handed to me on Wind Storm twice in a row earlier today, might have even lost the game because of my cluelessness, ugh!

Reverse angling I'll have to definitely practice more, been getting better at it. I'm guessing one way to pre-aim is aim early at typical areas where people go (e.g. himmelsdorf 8 line tank alley) and shooting as soon as they pop out. Is it also wise to minimize cross-hair bloom by turning my turret in the direction of the target and keeping its direction nearly static while moving only the hull forward/backward?

Ok nobody should take offense to this...

I haven't played for a month, but when I was playing if I ended up with a 24hour WN8 below 3000, I had played like shit and got slightly pissed off with myself. Simply because I have a standard of play.. and if I'm not performing at that level or better, I feel the need to work harder and improve. Sure, for a lot of people they would be ecstatic with anything near 3000, but that's because we're all at different levels of gameplay and have different expectations in terms of recent results. Usually if I had a bad day... even 2950 WN8, I would spend an hour or so watching some replays from the day.

- Pick out every little mistake, tell yourself what you should've been doing and why it was wrong.

- Use the pause option, stop the replay and look at the finer details. Read the minimap closely and look at your surroundings/what enemy and allied tanks are doing.

- Make mental notes of poor decisions that resulted in you being destroyed or losing unnecessarily amounts of HP or platoonmates.

- Watch other peoples replays, try and predict what the enemy team is going to do and then see if you're right. Predicting battle events and being able to counter them is a great skill to have.

^That was some intense stuff right? (LIKE WTF PITY!!?? WHY YOU MAD ABOUT 3K!?)

Set yourself high standards... You benefit far more from nearly reaching an impossible goal, as opposed to reaching a possible one.

I actually meant this thread: http://forum.wotlabs.net/index.php?/topic/7927-

Thanks!!

I haven't played for a month, but when I was playing if I ended up with a 24hour WN8 below 3000, I had played like shit and got slightly pissed off with myself. Simply because I have a standard of play.. and if I'm not performing at that level or better, I feel the need to work harder and improve. Sure, for a lot of people they would be ecstatic with anything near 3000, but that's because we're all at different levels of gameplay and have different expectations in terms of recent results. Usually if I had a bad day... even 2950 WN8, I would spend an hour or so watching some replays from the day.

- Pick out every little mistake, tell yourself what you should've been doing and why it was wrong.

- Use the pause option, stop the replay and look at the finer details. Read the minimap closely and look at your surroundings/what enemy and allied tanks are doing.

- Make mental notes of poor decisions that resulted in you being destroyed or losing unnecessarily amounts of HP or platoonmates.

- Watch other peoples replays, try and predict what the enemy team is going to do and then see if you're right. Predicting battle events and being able to counter them is a great skill to have.

Set yourself high standards... You benefit far more from nearly reaching an impossible goal, as opposed to reaching a possible one.

Damn. That's a high bar right there. I do spend the occasional moment to reflect and figure out what I could've done better, but this one takes the cake. I'll take this into consideration when watching Garbad's replays.

Only thing is with the triple crew XP weekend, it'll be tough allocating time toward self-teaching, haha!

I realized I played better when I took a ton of useless early-game damage and was forced to play intelligently throughout the remainder of the game. Play as if you've got 1 HP from the start... Other than that my only other advice is to stop worrying too much about numbers. Do the best you can, improve, and let the stats fall where they may.

Y U MAD BOUT 3K PITY.

On the subject of goal setting, i'd say set short term achievable goals and these keep you motivated towards the bigger picture. I use GOST as a methodology for this. I set an overall long term goal, then some objectives that will help be achieve that goal, I then set stategies and tactics to achieve the objective, which in turn helps me meet my overall goal. An example for me might be:

Goal(longterm): Overall Blue 1900 WN8.

Objective (like a shorter term goal):  Increase my overall WN8 by 7 each week (an average of one per day)

Strategy (overall strategy for achieving short term goal): Increase my number of platooned games with players of an equal or higher rating to me

Tactic (specific tactics designed to help you fulfill a strategy): Find the areas where the players I want to play with hang out and make the effort to hang out there and get friendly with them.

Tactic: Try to learn from these players and actively try to co-ordinate with them in-game, either via voice comms or effective typing.

For what it's worth, I'm in a similar position to you, I'm stuck at about a 2100-2300 a night rating, pretty consistently. However, I am in line to achieve my overall goal of 1900 Blue, I'm meeting the objective, so i can see constant, consistent progress towards it, I'm also working on several strategies and associated tactics for long term improvement.

I tend to go in steps, I'll no doubt improve to an average 2500 a night in a couple of months, but I'm still 6 months off overall blue though (that'll be worth celebrating when it happens!!)

get better@high tiers.

That.

Find a high tier tank with a low wn8 threshold that you can do well in (Type 61 worked for me), and pwn.

Aside from planning methodology, I'd say a great way to increase WN8 is to identify tanks with a low WN8 expected value and leverage the crap out of them. I've started playing the VK3001P recently. It's not an amazing tank, but it's MORE than capable. It's agile enough, good depression, accurate enough. Use the 88, fire all gold and reap the WN8 goodies. AMX12t is another good one.

The AMX12T is quite OP in some regards. a 6 round autoloader with good pen on gold (needs to be gold) good accuracy too and a ridiculous short reload for all 6 shots - about 18 secs. Camo is great, and speed/agilty, is perfectly acceptable. I play mine as a careful hidden sniper that can leg it quite quickly. Seems to work ok for me. I dont think it's much of a pure scout.

This. Also, having a readiness to disengage from a particular tank which I might be facing on equal or unfavorable terms and relocating to where I can get a shot or two off without taking dmg. 

I mean - you are talking about a 20% bump in WN8. All you need to do to get that is get 2-3 more penetrating hits per game and survive perhaps 5% more often. 

While I don't really care for wn8 or being purple, I just want to win, I have noticed when I get in a platoon my play goes a little bad a lot of the time.  Take yesterday as a prime example, played 11 games solo in the E50, averaged 2900 damage a game, 2600 or so wn8 and 100 percent win rate.  Then got in platoons, dpg dropped down to around 1700 or so and win rate went down bad.  Its like when I get in a platoon I just get stupid and it really pisses me off but I don't even know what is causing me to play like that.  I just play bad or at least not up to how I play solo.  I know one thing is I take way too many chances when I am in a platoon but I have seen that work so many times for other players but every time I try to be aggressive I run into the whole team on the enemy side and everyone gets scared and hides leaving me to die, then they get rolled. 

Anyways biggest thing getting to a level that you want to be at is set a goal.  Say you want a 1800 wn8, just set the goal to get that or above it every day.  When you go below it find out why.  I identified what is bringing me down, now I just have to fix it.  Get out of the lower tiers, wn8 seems to punish low tier play.  Tier 8 through 10 seems to be the good places for wn8 and tier 10 is very unforgiving of mistakes.  It will force you to get better or you will be back in the garage very fast.

What I still notice about myself is that I still have a number of derptastic games.  In order to move into the blue range, I have to stop the silly mistakes, stop trading hp too early, and get into a position where I am present more at the end of the game.

When I was a 44% win guy, I had a 18% survival rate.   Now, I'm up to averaging 35% survival rate and I'm a 55% win kind of guy.  To make that next step, I think I need to 

a)  Get to surviving 40%.

b)  Be more effective at getting in early shots.

c)  Be more consistent in game play.

Get early damage.

Keep gun in play.

Be reasonably aggressive - I tend to get more spotting now (depends on playstyle).

Play tanks with optimal crews and equipment - I also tend to use a bit more gold now then before.

And fixing your mistakes :) It is tedious and there is not a straight way because everyone has limits elsewhere. Most improvements can be reached in better strategy and positioning, assuming you know concepts of spotting, angling and firing well enough.

All you really need to do is pump up your damage a little bit. Playing tier 6 and 7 is not whats holding you back. :P Your decent survival rate to wins + low spotting makes it seem like you are sitting towards the back and then maybe later in the game going in and dying through some means without doing enough damage. Try to not trade HP and if you have to make sure you trade less of your HP for more of theirs. Try to get between 1600-2000 damage per game in 6-7. To be honest it is mean to let a pubbie take the hit, but 90% of the time a pubbie will end up pulling out and taking the damage anyways and you need to be where you can take advantage of both his mistake and the enemies decision to fire on him. I not saying derp out and die spotting everything, but try to be closer to the front if you are in a tank that can take being towards the front. Also as said before by other people, early damage is key. Get a decent amount then to put you in green - blue range without losing too much yourself allows you to clean up late game to push into blue-purple area most of the time.