chris9000

What does it take to hit 60-day blue?

I found that if I played more tactically I would be able to survive longer and carry more. Basically don't rush out; instead be patient find a good spot you can use where the other team will have trouble shooting/ penning you. In my case since I run my IS-4 most of the time lately it's find a good thing to side-scrape off of and still get a good line of sight at the enemies.

Just having a higher average tier will generally result in better stats because WN (less now though) and WR are functions of tier.

Early damage. Influence the game early on, and you are more likely to get those higher damage counts as well as win more. The difference between 1700 WN8 and ~1900 WN8 is usually one more damaging shot; don't be afraid to shoot gold.

A wealth of information I'm reading here. Favoriting this thread for future reading. Keep 'em coming!  :thumbup:

I've hit a 60-day wall of 1,750 WN8. I think the fact that I gravitate mostly toward tiers 6-7 might be the culprit. Any advice on what else I can do to take things to the next level?

From your recent stats, your spot rate is very low.  That indicates to me that you are too passive early game, not getting out and seizing the strong points on the map that allow you to subsequently make damage. (Were you doing that you would just naturally encounter enemies to get spots).

So, early damage, early map control.

I'd say focus less on raising WN8 itself, just use your WN8 rating as a general indicator. Looking at your stats, it's mostly increasing your damage output - try for better trades, early damage without receiving any and fewer mistakes throughout the course of the battle. Apart from that maybe improve your map awareness and platoon with other players - you are still in the skill region where you should not suffer from competition over damage I suppose (I don't with my m8s at least). 

Edit: I did fear for my damage when platooning with GloatingSwine though...  :verysmug:

Set yourself high standards... You benefit far more from nearly reaching an impossible goal, as opposed to reaching a possible one.

That's what I you would call kitchen psychology...

As far as I know, psychological research suggests that breaking tasks into smaller ones that are relatively easily achievable helps to sustain motivation and eventually succeed over longer periods of time. While it may be a good thing to tell yourself: "I wanna be a unicum player", to actually achieve that goal it's advisable for the average person to break the task down into small bits, e.g. av dmg > tank hp, then av dmg >> tank hp etc. This way you can create a constant stream of minor success.

Kitchen psychology as a term is my own bad translation of a variation of the German "Küchenlatein", literally "kitchen latin" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_Latin), which in this regard was meant to point out that as far as I know your proposal works for you but at the same time cannot be expected to hold for the average player and thus shouldn't be generalized.

My 2 cents, try focus on 1 or 2 tanks only and it will be easier for you to identify your mistakes in additional to get used to the tank.

I do Panther (yes!) nearly exclusively in the past week, and able to push my Panther's avg WN8 from 1.4k to 1.9k  =D

As far as I know, psychological research suggests that breaking tasks into smaller ones that are relatively easily achievable helps to sustain motivation and eventually succeed over longer periods of time. While it may be a good thing to tell yourself: "I wanna be a unicum player", to actually achieve that goal it's advisable for the average person to break the task down into small bits, e.g. av dmg > tank hp, then av dmg >> tank hp etc. This way you can create a constant stream of minor success.

Kitchen psychology as a term is my own bad translation of a mutation of the German "Küchenlatein", literally "kitchen latin" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_Latin), which in this regard was meant to point out that as far as I know your proposal works for you but the same time cannot be expected to hold for the average player and thus shouldn't be generalized.

To simplify that to a children's joke.

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.....

Nothing wrong with setting goals. The larger they are, they farther they seem away, but the more rewarding they are to accomplish. Even the largest goal has to be done in steps.

Holy shit I just noticed my sig. 57% recent....I should probably not be giving any advice. A year of mid 60's and purple recents and this all I can do now.....Time me for to learn how to play again apparently...WTF

Steal my account.  I just moved to the 60 day blue.  I play about 95% solo pub.

Here is how I did it.  I upgraded to a gaming computer & loaded mods.  My crappy 15-25 fps (on min graphics) laptop that dropped to 7 fps in a brawl & couldn't use mods because they dragged down the fps was holding me back from improving. 

If you are playing with a good computer then, I certainly suggest you utilize a mod that shows your view range on the minimap with a "shot box" overlay. 

As for gameplay, take a serious look at the tanks you are playing & the proper role for these tanks.  Make sure you play the tanks in the proper role.  Don't try to snipe in a Russian heavy etc. 

Track your game stats for EVERY game.  I use Vabbadict but, you can use the program of your choice.  Make sure you review the games where you bomb out & correct the mistakes that cause that type of game.  Remember, 2 good blue 2500 WN8 game & a WN8 165 game will give you an average of 1721 WN8.  The complete potato games kill scores.  Just changing that 0 damage 165 game to a 1000 game will make you a solid blue player.

Also, take a few minutes to review all the games you play & see where you could have improved your play.  Just adding 2 or 3 hits in a medium tank will get you over the blue hump.

Never give up on damage.  I hate to say but, you need to stat pad.  No matter how far away you are at the end, try to chase down the last couple of tanks.  You get a few lucky extra hits in that will raise your WN8.  Also included in this is never give up in a losing cause.  Fight to the last hit point.  Keep shooting & keep doing damage.  You never know, you may actually pull out a game here or there.   

Take an honest look at the maps that you play.  Which maps do you tend to get less than blue average scores?  Learn about these maps by watching replays and teaching videos.  Often, you are making the mistake on initial setup & costing yourself hundreds of WN8 points. 

Don't platoon with crappy players.  These people will just bring you down to their level.  Play with dark green players or better.  Also, this is a great way to learn the maps.  Good (unicums would be better) players can give you increased knowledge on maps & playstyle. 

Be careful when you decide to play tanks which are OP.  The M4 Sherman for example has a higher expected level from all the stat padding during the HEAT spam era prior to update 8.6.  You must play at a much higher level in OP tanks (Hellcat, T49 etc).  I've had several good games in my Hellcat only to see a WN8 of 1800 when I check Vbaddict. 

On the subject of goal setting, i'd say set short term achievable goals and these keep you motivated towards the bigger picture. I use GOST as a methodology for this. I set an overall long term goal, then some objectives that will help be achieve that goal, I then set stategies and tactics to achieve the objective, which in turn helps me meet my overall goal. An example for me might be:

Goal(longterm): Overall Blue 1900 WN8.

Objective (like a shorter term goal):  Increase my overall WN8 by 7 each week (an average of one per day)

Strategy (overall strategy for achieving short term goal): Increase my number of platooned games with players of an equal or higher rating to me

Tactic (specific tactics designed to help you fulfill a strategy): Find the areas where the players I want to play with hang out and make the effort to hang out there and get friendly with them.

Tactic: Try to learn from these players and actively try to co-ordinate with them in-game, either via voice comms or effective typing.

For what it's worth, I'm in a similar position to you, I'm stuck at about a 2100-2300 a night rating, pretty consistently. However, I am in line to achieve my overall goal of 1900 Blue, I'm meeting the objective, so i can see constant, consistent progress towards it, I'm also working on several strategies and associated tactics for long term improvement.

I tend to go in steps, I'll no doubt improve to an average 2500 a night in a couple of months, but I'm still 6 months off overall blue though (that'll be worth celebrating when it happens!!)

We need to pluton faggit!

Another thing to learn is to assume where the enemy tanks will go. Do you want to get lit in the forest in Live Oaks if you suspect their tier 10 TDs are there camping? If not, then you should go west unless you're in a tank that can handle not being spotted. 

Learning your tanks pros and cons as well as the enemy tank composition and their possible distribution will help.

I was stuck there too, with a WN8 between 1700-1850. What *clicked* for me was determining when to or not to trade health. Doesnt work all the time, but its enabled me to get 2-3 more shots worth of damage in, which in effect raises the WN8

Of course, even if you reached a recent blue level, don't forget you can always have a bad night...just like my night last night.  If I keep that up, I will be back in dark green in no time. 

There are many reasons for doing poorly.  I needed credits so, I was grinding premium tanks last night.  I found out I really suck with some of my premiums.  Also, trying to grind my T1 for company battles doesn't help.

Ask everyone on TS in Foxey and Pupeh, most of us are willing to help and teach within house. Hell, Foxey requires 60 bluish now, 1850 and up for recent (1000 battle, not 60 day) So I mean just come up on TS and ask in a populated channel.\

Also, why are you aiming for 60 day blue if I may ask

Like some have already said the key is too get out the maximum amount of damage early and conserve HP for late battle when many of your opponents have already taken a beating. Another thing to do is play a play style and tanks that you are good at. I personally prefer heavies and I notice that if I try to slide into a medium or TD I somehow manage to blow it because I rush in too early. If you have 10's play your 10's. I've noticed myself playing much better at higher tiers so lately I've been focusing on them.

Consistency is also your best friend, keep at it and keep a level head and personal stats will eventually improve.

...oh, also, don't try and squeeze battles in between skirmish battles or play after intense 3-hour long tournament sessions. Just learning that one myself.

Ask everyone on TS in Foxey and Pupeh, most of us are willing to help and teach within house. Hell, Foxey requires 60 bluish now, 1850 and up for recent (1000 battle, not 60 day) So I mean just come up on TS and ask in a populated channel.\

Personal goal. 

I can see it would sort of be the next milestone for him. you know, get to blue first, then concentrate on getting purple.

thats how I did it. right now im going for the purple.

From a reroll sexii point. Gashtato huehuehue

looks like it helped him a lot. Seems like the grass is always greener on a new account.

Steal my account.  I just moved to the 60 day blue.  I play about 95% solo pub.

Be careful when you decide to play tanks which are OP.  The M4 Sherman for example has a higher expected level from all the stat padding during the HEAT spam era prior to update 8.6.  You must play at a much higher level in OP tanks (Hellcat, T49 etc).  I've had several good games in my Hellcat only to see a WN8 of 1800 when I check Vbaddict. 

This is a vey valid point. I love playing Hellcat but my WN8 in HC just sucks. Complete failure for me was Su122-44.

At the same time some vehicles, like T40 or Nashorn can give unexpectedly high Wn8 if this is what you are after

This is a vey valid point. I love playing Hellcat but my WN8 in HC just sucks. Complete failure for me was Su122-44.

At the same time some vehicles, like T40 or Nashorn can give unexpectedly high Wn8 if this is what you are after

I have been playing the Russian IS-4 line this week to get the mission done & that puts the T28 in my rotation.  When your on with the T28 it is a monster at dealing damage (of course, you have to accept some WN8 below 500 because you get 1 shot HE Derped because the T28 has zero armor).  I just scored a 2087 damage, 7 kill (with a win!) battle for a WN8 of 14098.  I'm pretty sure you would have to kill 20 tanks in a Hellcat to get a 14098.

There is nothing like a 14098 jump a meh green day into solid blue.

Like most games its a knowledge battle, when I first started I was around 1k wn8 after my first 4k battles I believe, I played once in a blue moon, I could care less about stats or what happened in the game, I just blew shit up. After coming back to the game over a year later, I learned as many basic routines as I could for each map, knowing what your enemy is going to do is half the battle, if you don't know what they are going to do/are capable of, how can you defend against it?

I am also a firm believer of playing as many tanks as possible, you know when you play a tank you learn first hand how absoultely shit it can be in some circumstances and exactly what it can, and can not do? You play every tank in the game thats popular to some degree and you inherently learn first hand how to beat every single one of them with ease, its not all about knowing where to shoot, its knowing what that tank can DO which you are shooting at.

After this, surveying the battle beforehand is huge imo. Seeing patterns and anticipating that t29/sti/is7 is going to go for Xhulldown spot to cockblock you, so you go to a spot that counters his spot. Or at the very least away from him so he doesn't shut you down, making you effectively useless. Knowing when not to push out aggressively in a heavy when the other heavys on your team are super squishy and wont/cant support you in a prolonged firefight. Anticipation is key when looking at team makeup for both yours and theirs, knowing where you will be weak, where they will be weak, and exploiting that weakness while covering up your own. One of the biggest problems I still face is getting caught with my pants down in a spot that I anticipated would be safe, but ended up being extremely dangerous due to my own lack of experience against my opponents/ of the map/ of my own tanks capabilities, its getting rarer but it still happens and it really hurts your overall average for the day. Learning from mistakes is a huge part of self improvement.

Watch the minimap, WATCH IT! After every shot I back out of sniper mode and survey my surroundings, take a look at the minimap, sniper zoom again, fire, repeat. You have a better understanding of how the flow of the battle is going if you watch the minimap at all times, seeing a flank is failing and being able to flex before it falls is HUGE, you get to dish out tons of damage to tanks who are otherwise preoccupied with the initial combatants instead of showing up after they are dead, and they can all focus on you seeing as you will probably be one of only a couple tanks that came to help, or worse you didn't notice at all and are now getting shot in the back. Make the minimap big enough to see wtf is going on at a glance, not with a microscope. Minimap is love, minimap is life.

On the topic of watching things, watching replays was a habit I got into with dota 2, you think you creeped so well in lane, but when you watch the replay you see every, single, missed creep. 50 cs at 10m looks terrible when you watch the replay and see you could of had 5 more if you just timed it better, nobodys fault but your own, and WoT is much the same way. Watching replays of yourself allows you to have 20/20 hindsight, to see exactly what went wrong and where, we as individuals in high pressure situations will always make mistakes or put one thing before another ignoring what we deem to be less important, but watching replays we can see everything with a clear mind, and pick up on exactly what we missed while we were playing that situation out. This is in the hopes that should this exact situation happen again you now have the answer for what to do better in order to win. Also find better players to watch replays from, get new spots you haven't thought of, the more tricks up your sleeve the more you will accomplish and not get bogged down with limited options.

Experimentation can lead to interesting results, a lot of people (in many games) come to a forgone conclusion that X = Y no matter what, and they believe this 100% either through doing an action so many times it becomes truth or from a person in a position of power telling them right from wrong. While there are things which are understood to be "worse" for a tank, do not have a 1 track mind of "oh I'm on x map in a heavy I HAVE to go here". Being predictable is one of the easiest ways to find yourself dead in any game. Finding new spots that are not common, and therefore unexpected gives huge advantages in certain situations. Always look at the battle at hand, taking into account tanks on both teams before you go to forgone conclusions.

One thing you notice is the more you know limitations of tanks and map layouts, you can take calculated risks that can payoff bigtime. Its taking these risks when you don't understand you can't do it which leads to 0 damage games, getting a higher average isn't about having topgun games all the time, its more about getting as few 0-300 damage games as possible, never being the first gun out of the fight, making as much of an impact as possible throughout the game. When your lowest game for the day is 1100 wn8 with a few 1600-1800 losses, the few 5-8k wn8 games you have in 1 sitting will drastically swing your average compared to "making up" for that game you did under 500 damage in xtier7-10 tank and got 300 wn8.

I feel I've hit a cap at around 2700, most days I average 2600 if I'm grinding, on an off day 2400 isn't uncommon. I don't platoon much at all, which is the only thing I can think of that would help me get close to or over 3k average. I'm pretty happy with where I am, considering how little overall effort I have put in. Which is proof that playing 10-15 games a day while learning basic mechanics can get you where I am, I make tons of mistakes and have a ridiculous amount of experience both literally ingame and figuratively yet to attain, if ever.