rocketbrainsurgeon

Mami's Survival Tips by Mami_Tamales

This is for discussing Mami's Survival Tips by Mami_Tamales

Video on surviving in a city map in a light tank, starring Mami.

I apologize to Mami for letting this drop a few weeks back.  If I'm not responsive to anyone, try reaching out again as sometimes I lose track of some things.

Guide to increasing your DPG/wn rating without increasing your winrate

Kraft,

Would you elaborate please?  I would guess that you have more thought behind this reaction and I'd like to better understand.

My progression has been stepwise - I take a step in staying alive and doing more damage, and then I'm able to apply it better to winning more games.  Someone mentioned this article as a step towards unicum-hood.  Is that fair, or is it missing the mark?

Curious to understand your comment more.

Kraft,

Would you elaborate please?  I would guess that you have more thought behind this reaction and I'd like to better understand.

My progression has been stepwise - I take a step in staying alive and doing more damage, and then I'm able to apply it better to winning more games.  Someone mentioned this article as a step towards unicum-hood.  Is that fair, or is it missing the mark?

Not Kraft, but what he is saying is that too many people equate higher WN or DPG with better skill. What is skill really? For most of us around here, the only true measure of skill is your ability to apply what you know to the current situation and pull out a win. Sometimes a win is road blocking 8 tanks by yourself or with 1 or 2 others, resulting in a win with maybe 1.5k damage and 1500 WN8. Perhaps if you had left your position, you would have scored 3.5k damage and 3200 WN8 but you lost. Is that really worth it? Most of us say no.

Now don't get me wrong, doing stupid stuff and dying all the time with no damage will not get you wins, but neither will hiding all game and farming damage (most of the time anyway).

There's somewhat of a competing mindset on the best approaches to the game: damage vs situation.  

Kraft and Garbad fall into the "situational" camp, doing whatever is required at that moment to go after the win.  I've seen both of them get killed first out of everyone in the game because they were going for a strategically important but dangerous area.  Examples: across the valley scouting on El Halluf or hill rush on Mines.

Mami and Kewei would fall into the "damage" mindset, putting importance on survivability (letting others take the risk) while trusting that dealing more damage will lead to victory on its' own.

WN8 rewards the idea of more personal damage at all costs, while winrate is better gained through scouting/flanking/pushing which entails more risk.  I lean towards the "situational" ideals, frequently having sub-par damage per game when platooning with uni's.

I don't think there's a "right" answer per se, as both sides have their points.

There's somewhat of a competing mindset on the best approaches to the game: damage vs situation.  

Kraft and Garbad fall into the "situational" camp, doing whatever is required at that moment to go after the win.  I've seen both of them get killed first out of everyone in the game because they were going for a strategically important but dangerous area.  Examples: across the valley scouting on El Halluf or hill rush on Mines.

Mami and Kewei would fall into the "damage" mindset, putting importance on survivability (letting others take the risk) while trusting that dealing more damage will lead to victory on its' own.

WN8 rewards the idea of more personal damage at all costs, while winrate is better gained through scouting/flanking/pushing which entails more risk.  I lean towards the "situational" ideals, frequently having sub-par damage per game when platooning with uni's.

I don't think there's a "right" answer per se, as both sides have their points.

Yes, there is a right answer -- win games.  There is no virtue in doing a lot of damage and losing.  Anything that causes you to ever consider doing something that detracts from winning is bad.  This includes only wanting to play Wn8 friendly tanks, refusal to scout, campiness, etc.

WN8 rewards the idea of more personal damage at all costs, while winrate is better gained through scouting/flanking/pushing which entails more risk.

Still a noob, but I think WN8 is actually detrimental to quality scouting play. For a while there, I was trying to get that mad DPG in the WZ-132 right when I unlocked it and my winrate suffered horribly. I think there's a time and a place for doing damage in a scout, but WN8 pushed me to shoot and light myself in early/midgame instead of spotting and letting my team do the invisishot thing. I reckon you could farm that DPG in late game if you managed to stay alive purely providing vision in the early and mid game, though.

I think scouting WN8 makes the most sense on maps where you can't really play vision games like Himmelsdorf because you're actively contributing and distracting your opponent.

Yes, there is a right answer -- win games.  There is no virtue in doing a lot of damage and losing.  Anything that causes you to ever consider doing something that detracts from winning is bad.  This includes only wanting to play Wn8 friendly tanks, refusal to scout, campiness, etc.

It'd be great to be able combine everything (scout perfectly + survive + carry), but that's pretty hard to do. If you are in the position where you want to read guides to improve, then I highly doubt you could do this...

Baby steps, m8.

Ranking scouts on DPG makes as much sense as ranking arty based on spots.

I think I'm going to go back to my WZ-132 tonight and start playing it like a proper scout again by keeping my gun quiet more often. I need to get off this WN8 sauce and back to the scout life.

Kraft,

ya people already answered this :$

i think mami sugoku kawaii tho <3

That makes sense. 

This goes back to the conversation about how some tanks (TDs) cannibalize damage that others are creating by sniping outside of view range at tanks others are risking themselves to light.  If you're a faster tank with good view range, then you can have a more profound impact on the game by spotting targets and doing 1k damage than if you sit back and snipe when the enemy comes into your view range and doing 2k damage.    It goes back to the taking advantage of situations or creating situations.

Thanks for explaining - I think I'm understanding more.

Related: http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/236939-a-unicorn%E2%80%99s-comprehensive-guide-to-the-survival-side/

I think for intermediate players a better way of thinking about things is just "What is the best thing I can do now to win?", rather than "I must be more aggressive." or "I must be more careful and survive".

When you look at it that way aggressive play is just seeing an opportunity and capitalizing on it.  E.g. at the beginning of the game, if I go to this forward position to spot, there is a good chance my team will destroy 1 or 2 enemy tanks while they are still deploying.

Passive play is recognizing that you don't have many favorable options and waiting for things to develop. E.g. They have an unspotted WTF E-100 that could be in one of three locations. I'll not chance getting caught out in the open where he may have shots on me.

The hard part of course is being able to identify your options accurately and quickly.

Yes, there is a right answer -- win games.  

I agree that winning is the most important thing, because it gives you 50% more credits and XP to progress faster. However, I've seen some bad/average players with pretty high win rates. They definitely are not doing the things necessary to win, but their platoon mates are. So basically what I'm trying to say is that looking at just one number in a persons statistics doesn't tell you if they are good or not. When evaluating a player win rate isn't complete without also knowing their average damage and vice versa. Likewise WN8 isn't useful for evaluating scouts without also know spotting damage. You can't say one number is better than another because they are all important for evaluating ability.

I agree that winning is the most important thing, because it gives you 50% more credits and XP to progress faster. However, I've seen some bad/average players with pretty high win rates. They definitely are not doing the things necessary to win, but their platoon mates are. So basically what I'm trying to say is that looking at just one number in a persons statistics doesn't tell you if they are good or not. When evaluating a player win rate isn't complete without also knowing their average damage and vice versa. Likewise WN8 isn't useful for evaluating scouts without also know spotting damage. You can't say one number is better than another because they are all important for evaluating ability.

We aren't talking about numbers, we are talking about facts. If you consistently win games, that means something. I've been a member of these forums since last August, but only within the past 2 months or so have I been able to approach and hopefully break the 70% WR barrier. But I've had a pretty respectable WN8 for significantly longer than that. This isn't because I suddenly started padding with better toons.

People will always pad, but at least in these forums I'd like to assume that the player-base is not interested in padding and is just interested in high-level play.

Nyet.  Winning is the most important thing because winning.  Don't be a loser.