tigetank

Im looking for a blunt answer

Question

I do not need an sugar coating or anything for this post i'm here to get better at the game and by god that's what i'm going to do. Problem stagnation after getting out of a terrabad spot my WN8 can go anywhere from 1400-1800 for the most part but its stay that way my win-rate is not growing.I know part of my problem is i know how to fight use mechanics and such but i'm not good at realizing when and where to use those mechanics and when to take risks.

Now one thing i'm going to ask and just be blunt about it am i a bad player or just slightly above.

Now here's another one of my problems.I know locations of maps and such but i don't know how to use my tanks on certain maps.For example I cant quite figure out how to play my E25 on himmelsdorf much of that map to me seems to be based on trading hp or bouncing shot and with an E25 that's not likely.

My third problem is how i look at my team many players can look at a flank and know its going to fall i can see this sometimes but they can even when the flank seems even in tanks i want to increase my situational awareness is what i want here.

Thank you for your time this is my first post on this forum and am hoping for good replies.

14 answers to this question

I do not need an sugar coating or anything for this post i'm here to get better at the game and by god that's what i'm going to do. Problem stagnation after getting out of a terrabad spot my WN8 can go anywhere from 1400-1800 for the most part but its stay that way my win-rate is not growing.I know part of my problem is i know how to fight use mechanics and such but i'm not good at realizing when and where to use those mechanics and when to take risks.

Now one thing i'm going to ask and just be blunt about it am i a bad player or just slightly above.

Now here's another one of my problems.I know locations of maps and such but i don't know how to use my tanks on certain maps.For example I cant quite figure out how to play my E25 on himmelsdorf much of that map to me seems to be based on trading hp or bouncing shot and with an E25 that's not likely.

My third problem is how i look at my team many players can look at a flank and know its going to fall i can see this sometimes but they can even when the flank seems even in tanks i want to increase my situational awareness is what i want here.

Thank you for your time this is my first post on this forum and am hoping for good replies.

I like you.

You are what I consider an upper average player. Your recent play says that you're probably on the cuff of really understanding this game and you probably just need whatever you're currently missing to click to start advancing more quickly.

Your second problem, you need to learn what to do with yourself to secure wins in any tank. What effort have you put into learning your role in each battle and the best places to do it? Start watching unicum replays of tanks you play, platoon with better players to learn what they do in a given situation, read guides like Garbad's Unicum Diaries that give you insight into the thought process of a purple. Which of these aren't you doing that you need to start now? You can also look into individualized lessons with purples offering them for a small fee. I offer lessons on initial deployment where we go over a large number of your replays and discuss the best starting locations for your tank and what you should be trying to achieve and compare it to what you did. I believe sela also offers lessons on this sort of thing, don't know the details of what that covers.

Your third problem, situational awareness and being able to read the map to predict what's going to happen. That happened for me first simply through playing experience over time and then really got refined and polished in tournament play where everything is about reading and predicting your enemy across the map. It comes naturally much easier to some people than others but just force yourself to pay attention while in battle and platoon with better players able to teach you more of it through battle communication.

I like you.

You are what I consider an upper average player. Your recent play says that you're probably on the cuff of really understanding this game and you probably just need whatever you're currently missing to click to start advancing more quickly.

Your second problem, you need to learn what to do with yourself to secure wins in any tank. What effort have you put into learning your role in each battle and the best places to do it? Start watching unicum replays of tanks you play, platoon with better players to learn what they do in a given situation, read guides like Garbad's Unicum Diaries that give you insight into the thought process of a purple. Which of these aren't you doing that you need to start now? You can also look into individualized lessons with purples offering them for a small fee. I offer lessons on initial deployment where we go over a large number of your replays and discuss the best starting locations for your tank and what you should be trying to achieve and compare it to what you did. I believe sela also offers lessons on this sort of thing, don't know the details of what that covers.

Your third problem, situational awareness and being able to read the map to predict what's going to happen. That happened for me first simply through playing experience over time and then really got refined and polished in tournament play where everything is about reading and predicting your enemy across the map. It comes naturally much easier to some people than others but just force yourself to pay attention while in battle and platoon with better players able to teach you more of it through battle communication.

I would like to thank your for that well thought out post and while it is insightful there is somthing that i would like to do but really cant get people to do when i offer to platoon. The only people who seem to answer are tbh are the below average player base and i dont like being rude and say no.

I didn't quite read your second point harder enough where ive been trying to improve ah well thats when to know when to fall back from a collapsing flank which i can do resonably well.But the problem is I know where im needed and to fallback to help another position but I dont always know where to show up lets take for example Prokhorovka I do not like this map when driving a heavy tank I dont know where to go because I  feel like no matter where I go I give the enemies shots on my side armour when im in the north its fine because I can go hill and lessen this but if im south im not entirly sure what to do.

I would like to use this map for another example lets say the forest area needs help and I go there but then we are just trading shots like we were before and if they have enough tanks they will win a fight like that I want to know where to show up as well.

This is probably the best first post I have ever seen, not to mention a very good and well structured question.

Remember that a lot of tanks play slightly differently if not completely differently on different maps. Which means it is possible to camo up in a bush in the E25 (Obviously), but not on Himmle's. Try  heading 3 line and getting early shots down that, if that doesn't work you may always hug the sides of the buildings as to not get shot and shoot things in the side coming around the dip on the hill.

In my experience map position is probably one of the largest factors into knowing how to play the tank. Yeah it's great and all that you know how to perfectly use the gun on per say... A KV-2, and you never miss and can lead perfectly; but if you aren't in the right spots you will either never get a lot to make those clutch shots at, or simply explode. 

Some uni's do suggest solo'ing and yolo'ing to learn what NOT to do. I haven't tried this myself, but it basically teaches you how far you can extend without over extending. Solo'ing also offers a great experience for situational awareness. You won't always have a Waifu buddy on TS to yell at for him to clip the tanks right around the corner from you. If you're always platting then you might, but still. Situational awareness I would find something a bit awkward to obtain from replays or streams.

In terms of good or bad as a player, you're slightly above average. However, you have one massive advantage most yellow's or green's don't. You're willing to learn and ask questions. Opposed to simply stating that stats don't represent anything but the performance of the team around you. (statsrluckbruh). 

In the end this IS a game. Right now I think I am doing horribly. That does not mean that someone with worse stats in my opinion is doing horribly. Play to what you think you can, then the next match try and improve on it. 

I would like to thank your for that well thought out post and while it is insightful there is somthing that i would like to do but really cant get people to do when i offer to platoon. The only people who seem to answer are tbh are the below average player base and i dont like being rude and say no.

I didn't quite read your second point harder enough where ive been trying to improve ah well thats when to know when to fall back from a collapsing flank which i can do resonably well.But the problem is I know where im needed and to fallback to help another position but I dont always know where to show up lets take for example Prokhorovka I do not like this map when driving a heavy tank I dont know where to go because I  feel like no matter where I go I give the enemies shots on my side armour when im in the north its fine because I can go hill and lessen this but if im south im not entirly sure what to do.

I would like to use this map for another example lets say the forest area needs help and I go there but then we are just trading shots like we were before and if they have enough tanks they will win a fight like that I want to know where to show up as well.

About getting platoons: a lot of my improvement as a player came before there were any good resources like WoTLabs available, I just put myself out there to better players and learned to improve by keeping up with them and asking question. As a 50%er I private messaged asked 52-53%ers to platoon, got there and asked 55%ers, got there and asked 58%ers, got there and started platooning with errybody dark purple. A lot of people are willing to do it if you just ask them nicely, and once I played with them I would add their good friends to my contact list and start inviting those people too. It also helped that I joined PUPEH, which put me in contact with better players in PBKAC and OTTER and all of their friends. Just put yourself out there and it will happen.

About learning what you're lacking, again just follow what I said before. Watch replays, watch unicum live streams, read all the guides, platoon, keep asking questions on the forum. It's a lot easier to develop these skills than it used to be with resources like WoTLabs around and only takes persistence.

So no excuses here or anything this is all perfectly sound advice so what i did yesterday is let go didn't try to hold back anything for 5 battles I forced myself to try to think everything through read the map careful watch everything (my hands were shaking afterwards) I did manage to carry 2 out of the 5 but that was not my consistent skill that was when I went balls to the wall and forced myself to play like that its going to be while before I can do that my self without forcing my self to.

Now one of these battles I managed to bring the match down to a 1v1 between me a t34-85 at about 100-200 health against a full health su100y I knew where he was and my thoughts were to track him then kill him. I almost did but my he shell hit a fence post and 1 fell back but I could not out maneuver him my engine was so for this game i'm not sure what else I could do.I had already rest the cap 3 times.Sadly i do not have a replay to provide but that's something I would like to start posting here so people can review my game play.

And thank you both again for your post you have been nothing but helpful.

Great posts so far! I just like to add that as the game plays totally different depending on the tank you are driving. I found it the easiest to learn and somewhat master one tank.class and then moving on to the next. It helps not to switch tanks after every game/as soon as you are dead but keep playing one tank for several battles, watch how the battle is played out, what keyspots are in the mid/late game.

Great posts so far! I just like to add that as the game plays totally different depending on the tank you are driving. I found it the easiest to learn and somewhat master one tank.class and then moving on to the next. It helps not to switch tanks after every game/as soon as you are dead but keep playing one tank for several battles, watch how the battle is played out, what keyspots are in the mid/late game.

This is something that has been hurting me very recently im advancing down 5 lines at the moment my win rate is suffering horribly and playing stock tanks especially the kv1s is annoying.But then what do i do chose 1 line at a time to go down while that does make sense it does basically mean nothing for me buying all these tanks a couple of days ago

Definitely agree, focusing on one type of tank at a time is the best. It's okay to grind a couple mediums together, but I wouldn't do a fast medium and a slow heavy.

Also, I wouldn't recommend using HE on tanks that you can't reliably penetrate with it. If you aim properly you can track AND penetrate for damage with a kinetic round and that's almost always better. They also won't screw you by exploding on fences like what happened to you.

Definitely agree, focusing on one type of tank at a time is the best. It's okay to grind a couple mediums together, but I wouldn't do a fast medium and a slow heavy.

Also, I wouldn't recommend using HE on tanks that you can't reliably penetrate with it. If you aim properly you can track AND penetrate for damage with a kinetic round and that's almost always better. They also won't screw you by exploding on fences like what happened to you.

Well i guess I will focus of my 2 mediums gotta get that t54 you know

I too am having the same issues that you have asked questions about.  All of the replys have been very helpful, and I would like to thank all the "purple players" for all their time and effort to help us.  Seems like my biggest issue in game are the teams leaving entire flanks totally open.  I try to stall the other team, and call attention to those areas for my team, then get yelled at (usually by people with more games but worse stats) and being called a noob.  Just makes the game frustrating, even though I prove them wrong when the battle results are shown and I am one of the top 3 tanks not only for our team, but for both. 

As you can see by my stats, I'm in a very similar place to you right now.  Rather than focus strictly on 2 lines, you might consider a slightly different approach that I've found useful. 

I've been doing better when focusing on a line/type for a short period of time and then moving on to the next.  It seems like my play gets somewhat stale when I'm playing only a single vehlcle/line for more than a few days.  Switching away for a day or two seems to allow time for the lessons I've learned to "sink in" better.  I've seen this the most with my MT play.  Playing my TDs, or even messing around with my low-tier lights for an evening or two seems to have a positive effect on my MT play when I return to them. 

Here is my last game if anyone could review it and see what i could have done better http://wotreplays.com/site/703298#hidden_village-tigetank-t-34-85

Honestly your positioning and movements were fine. You were top tier with good armor and firepower in-tier and were able to bully everything at close range. You kept fairly aggressive, attacking whenever you got the opportunity, but didn't expose yourself needlessly with too much aggression. The main thing to improve in that replay is your combat skills, using reverse angling to avoid taking as much damage and knowing when to poke out and where to shoot to get more damage out. The best way you can really learn that is to study purples in mediums and heavies while they're brawling in replays.

When you aren't top tier like this I suggest staying to the west because you can attack both flanks as the east side is very exposed between buildings and it allows you to keep a longer distance fight with more cover and camouflage, where going east forces a close range encounter with anyone who goes there. Very dangerous if you get multiple opponents attacking you that you can't handle. Works well in this tank and lineup because it's a great tier 6 bully.

Honestly your positioning and movements were fine. You were top tier with good armor and firepower in-tier and were able to bully everything at close range. You kept fairly aggressive, attacking whenever you got the opportunity, but didn't expose yourself needlessly with too much aggression. The main thing to improve in that replay is your combat skills, using reverse angling to avoid taking as much damage and knowing when to poke out and where to shoot to get more damage out. The best way you can really learn that is to study purples in mediums and heavies while they're brawling in replays.

When you aren't top tier like this I suggest staying to the west because you can attack both flanks as the east side is very exposed between buildings and it allows you to keep a longer distance fight with more cover and camouflage, where going east forces a close range encounter with anyone who goes there. Very dangerous if you get multiple opponents attacking you that you can't handle. Works well in this tank and lineup because it's a great tier 6 bully.

Ah thanks for this honestly when im playing a med i stay center so i can still support the town to my right while being able to fight anything coming center but i thought this game if would be better of going to this position due to being top tier.