rocketbrainsurgeon

Understanding Game Flow by KraftLawrence

A big mistake I see green and blue players do is to flex back to base far too early. They notice the other flank is falling, and they immediately head back to base. I cannot stress how big of a mistake this is. You REALLY need to focus on pushing your side as long as possible and delay your retreat back to base for as long as you can without getting capped out.

This is me. Oh god, this is me 10,000 times over. It's gotten me lots of defense points at a cost of hundreds of thousands of damage dealt and hurt my win rate too. 

Thanks for the level-up, Kraft! 

I like the part about retreating to base too early and taking valuable resources away from your flank. I've seen it happen many times, and I've done it often enough that thinking about it makes me realize that I was making that mistake. 

More details on "when to RTB" really needs to be there.

When going through daily doubles, it is not uncommon to RTB too early in meds and RTB too slow in heavies.  It is also very hard to predict defender behavior: sometimes two heavys holds for minutes when enemy is too afraid to push while other times in the exactly same situation the tank gets overrun immediately as a med yolo-flanks it. (and probably die, however frees up the flank)

The time to cap itself is also hard to predict.  Sometimes guys will drive off cap to find arty, and other times folks will just derpily not cap.

Its really a tricky thing.

More details on "when to RTB" really needs to be there.

When going through daily doubles, it is not uncommon to RTB too early in meds and RTB too slow in heavies.  It is also very hard to predict defender behavior: sometimes two heavys holds for minutes when enemy is too afraid to push while other times in the exactly same situation the tank gets overrun immediately as a med yolo-flanks it. (and probably die, however frees up the flank)

The time to cap itself is also hard to predict.  Sometimes guys will drive off cap to find arty, and other times folks will just derpily not cap.

Its really a tricky thing.

I think it's probably worth being a topic of its own.

I've had any number of games where I've returned to base, probably too early, and the momentum of the flank I was on has collapsed even if it should theoretically still have had an advantage without me.

Pearl River seems particularly prone to this kind of event.

Typo for you RBS:

"Conversely, if the enemy sent more resources to the flank you are currently on, you may want to play less defensive. Your team is likely to win the other flank. Play defensively and hold out as long as you can. Trade efficiently – don’t push. Let them peek on you."

I think he meant aggressive.

Some great stuff in there btw Kraft. 10/10 would read again.

Instead of eatingdix, I get clicked. :(

Very good article by the way, you are spot on about us statpadders greens RTB too early and losing both flanks. Maybe we should have a little more faith in pubbies defending the other flank.

An interesting scenario arises when your team actually cannot finish your flank before your other flank dies. A big mistake I see green and blue players do is to flex back to base far too early. They notice the other flank is falling, and they immediately head back to base. I cannot stress how big of a mistake this is. You REALLY need to focus on pushing your side as long as possible and delay your retreat back to base for as long as you can without getting capped out.

Really good article. The above was my first "light bulb moment" in months regarding wot. Thank you!

good guide,

btw: howgod, so much hate:

So, you need to make sure your tanks are making shit happen. If they aren’t pushing, you need to lead the push. You’re in a medium? I don’t care.

Don’t be that guy camping and doing nothing while your team dies on another flank – then farm 3k damage and complain your team sucks. That guy is the worst.

I lost count on how much games, which should be easy win, are lost due to this, stupid high tier medium / tds morons not going to city on lakevile because: ``i are medium, i can not into attacker``, or ``i are 704, i can not into city fighter``, over and over games are lost because people somehow ``think`` they MUST play according to their role (which is plain bs)

useles td retards dealing 5k dmg in a lost game (pure lost) because they ``defend``..

the only damage which matters is early damage, the rest is irrelevant....

I can +1 the light bulb moment, so thank you very much for the article.

Quick question: do you wait near spawn to see which way your team moves, or do you want to start moving sooner rather than later to get into a good initial deployment? If you do wait, how long is too long; I've seen way too many teams take 30 seconds to get out of spawn...

Another thing to consider:

1.  5 tanks push valley.

2.  5 tanks push city.

3.  5 tanks pointlessly mill around cap, "defending" arty.

Guess what -- those 5 camping base are out of the fight when it matters.  This means you can:

1.  Leave 2 defending the capfast.

2.  Sit 5 valley, stall/draw.

3.  Push 8 city, win easily.

4.  THEN flex back the survivors to valley, win that too.

5.  Push all remaining tanks at their "defenders" who still haven't moved, and overwhelm them with numbers.

Its basically a sure thing in WOT.  You can almost always create localized numerical supremacy simply by having a small stalling force on one side and a big push on the other that keeps on eye on base when the stallers start to get pressured.  The reason:  campers gonna camo, and no matter how much DPG they farm they aren't in the battle when its decided.

I lost count on how much games, which should be easy win, are lost due to this, stupid high tier medium / tds morons not going to city on lakevile because:...

The problem isn't camping, the problem is part of the team camping and the other part yolo-ing.

Had games where blob of top TDs all camped cap-circle style, and a few spotters outside the city and the city pushers gets a full landarty welcome.  If opponents are dumb enough to push on that is a free win right there.

So, you need to make sure your tanks are making shit happen. If they aren’t pushing, you need to lead the push. You’re in a medium? I don’t care.

OK, How?  Lets say we are in Lakeville, and I broke SOP by taking my Panther II into the city.  The four T8's heavies are a block in front of me at the square, facing the same on the other side.  They are poking around trading shots back and forth, and I'm attempting to find a target.

1) How do I un-stall them?  

Drive waterside, and hope to get behind someone?  Drive up front and risk getting plastered nose to nose?  Call some sort of target list out?

Sure, every game is different, but how do you restart this stalled push?  

OK, How?  Lets say we are in Lakeville, and I broke SOP by taking my Panther II into the city.  The four T8's heavies are a block in front of me at the square, facing the same on the other side.  They are poking around trading shots back and forth, and I'm attempting to find a target.

Drive waterside, and hope to get behind someone?  Drive up front and risk getting plastered nose to nose?  Call some sort of target list out?

fight head on :P

- shoot easy hits, like tracks etc, to either lure them forward: omg, he shoots my track 3x, he must die (or omg 3x trackhit RETREAT)

- wait for them to shoot, and shoot yourself

- lure them into shooting your side armor (angle 85 deg, and only wait for bounce)

- etc

fight head on :P

- shoot easy hits, like tracks etc, to either lure them forward: omg, he shoots my track 3x, he must die (or omg 3x trackhit RETREAT)

- wait for them to shoot, and shoot yourself

- lure them into shooting your side armor (angle 85 deg, and only wait for bounce) and try to shoto after they shot

- etc

sure in a 10vs10 slug it wont work, but most big fights are more like 3-4 smaller skirmishes close together, and 90% of the people wont pay attention to what happens behind / next to them