Tarnwiesel

Still a Modification or already a Cheat?

First wrote a wall of text but noticed that even me myself wouldnt read that so here is the short version.

Euro Support tells us you wont be banned for Mods ever.

Euro Forum Mods removed Crosshair Mods because of breach of EULA (crosshair gives too much info and stuff)

Russia doesn't care.

USA doesn't care?

Is SEA old enough for adult talk?

Are these Mods fine in your book and would you use them?

Winning at all cost?

If you don't get punished its allowed?

Some controversial examples below.

Please note that these are 100% pure mods. Drop them into you res_mods/wotversion/ folder and let the magic happen.

Fast Fire Mod

Hold left mouse button while reloading. Tank fires as soon as reload is done. Very effective for autoloaders.

Weakspot "Skin"

xae3vyrr.jpg

Shows the tank damage model and potential weakspots. Please ignore the old agent orange mod in the background.

Wallhack World of Tanks Style

4oh5u5fe.png

When you see it you will shit bricks.

Agent Orange 2.0

Found no screenshot. What I believe it does is making every bush/tree in sniper view see through just like everything in your 15 meter radius.

In my opinion Wargaming has to make a stand. They can no longer ignore this problem they way the push eSports.

But on the other hand who says that this isnt fair game? XVM and some crosshairs also gives players a huuuge advantage so how is one Mod a big no no but the other is okay.

Where to draw line?

People who use these mods are automatically lowered to the level of Jsnazz; I wouldn't use em, and I'm sure as hell that none of the unicums here would even bother with them. 

The "wallhack" isn't really game-breaking, since you still gotta go around the rock to hit that Lowe, plus if you really wanted to see the orientation of the lowe you can just zoom out with Camera Mod. 

FunFact: If you posted this on the official forums, you would have gotten a nice 7 day RO. 

Also, I've heard of strange things from EU; certain mods being banned there, that aren't banned in NA or RU. 

plus if you really wanted to see the orientation of the lowe you can just zoom out with Camera Mod. 

FunFact: If you posted this on the official forums, you would have gotten a nice 7 day RO. 

Also, I've heard of strange things from EU; certain mods being banned there, that aren't banned in NA or RU. 

But isnt the zoom out mod banned itself? At least somebody told me that they dont like to see it in ESL.

Also it is kind of sad that you get banned for stuff like this. (Talking about it not using it)

Wargaming should get their act together and implement some kind of anti cheat or allow them all but instead the try to sweep it under the carpet.

Also who is Jsnazz?

Also who is Jsnazz?

Infamous NA player who plays almost exclusively tier 1/2/3, can only manage it at 58%, and plays like garbage at any other tier. That doesn't stop him from acting like he's actually a great player, though.

http://worldoftanks.com/community/accounts/1003195111-jsnazz/

Regarding the weakspot skins, am I the only one who doesn't think that they're THAT bad? I mean, once people have played enough games, they'll acquire knowledge of weakspots anyway so there isn't really that much advantage to be gained.

Let me put it this way: a new player starts playing WoT and installs weakspot skins. At first he just aims at the right colours and shoots but gradually over time as he plays more games, he begins to remember and automatically recognize weakspot locations. In this sense, isn't this just a tool for accelerated learning of game mechanics? Besides, it's not like this affects the playerbase anyway as most people assume that they'll take dmg when they get shot. Just my two cents.

I imagine, if WG had the desire, they could incorporate a check in lee local client, which would detect and if found, prevent the player using a mod, from connecting to the server. The same as if they had the desire, the could fix the problem with arty at high tiers. The same as if they had the desire, they could fix the problem with AFK-ers and BOT-ers.

I can't really see any of these as game-breaking, the wall-hack doesn't even seem that useful, you've already got the zoom-out mod and outlines for that.

The weakspots? More of a learning tool than anything, actually, with HEAT/APCR for credits, I don't see much of a point to this. It's also jarring to see these models move around in battle, very distracting I would think. 

The Agent Orange mod? That's actually a terrible mod for anyone who knows vision mechanics and wants to actually abuse camouflage, you want to know which bushes are see-through NEXT to you so that you know if you're using your camouflage right or not, if that extends to a 15m radius, it becomes very easy to misuse bushes and go in too far and wind up getting spotted. 

As far as I know the only banned mods ON NA SERVERS (<- important detail) are the 3D hit skins (where you see the modules in the insides of the target) and the tracers (showing the origin spot of a shot not taking in account if the shooter is spotted or not).

Other mods fall in a frowned upon category, that players call hacks/cheats/unfair and so on.

As frowned upon as the sprem are for a certain category of people still calling them gold.

I use this crosshair.

http://media-curse.cursecdn.com/attachments/86/581/0685b1de7b8022d7601532d05c059a50.jpg

As you can see it's on Curse, not some obscur or private "cheat" site.

It may make me a cheater for some, fine , dont care ; it's officially supported, if this change I will remove it.

But isnt the zoom out mod banned itself? At least somebody told me that they dont like to see it in ESL.

On NA? No zoom out is not banned, Free cam, a mod that allows you to move around after death without being hitched to another tank is though. If anything on NA has been "officially" banned that is.

The mod at the moment that gives that largest advantage over a 'vanilla UI' user are the minimap mods that show enemy tank types on the map, of tanks you cannot see in draw range, and records the location that tanks were last spotted at.

And I use it with the utmost glee.

On NA? No zoom out is not banned, Free cam, a mod that allows you to move around after death without being hitched to another tank is though. If anything on NA has been "officially" banned that is.

I actually sent in a support ticket about that mod because I wanted to use it for filming, and they told me it was kosher. Their exact wording was...

Dear Player,

Thank you for bringing this inquiry to us.

The only mods that are allowed on our server are ones that do not modify the source code. 

The mod that you mentioned should be fine.

Visit Curse.com's World of Tanks section for mods that are approved and safe to install. Any other mods you may decide to install is up to your own discretion. 

Please feel free to contact support again with any further questions or concerns!

I actually sent in a support ticket about that mod because I wanted to use it for filming, and they told me it was kosher. Their exact wording was...

Interesting, thanks.

The mod at the moment that gives that largest advantage over a 'vanilla UI' user are the minimap mods that show enemy tank types on the map, of tanks you cannot see in draw range, and records the location that tanks were last spotted at.

And I use it with the utmost glee.

Are you using Locastan's or is that xvm? Been looking for a non-xvm version of the minimap mod, but all I've found is Locastan's "HD Minimap mod" which just made my minimap HD instead of putting last known locations on it.

Locastans HD minimap doesn't support last known location and he said he won't ever do it. I use locastans that I modified a bit, because I believe that having last known position on minimap will make you too lazy in the long term regarding tactical situational awareness. I try to remember myself where were the tanks on the map.

Also about the topic. For me the HD minimap is already borderline. It gives you a lot of advantage if you know how to use it. I wouldn't use any of the ones you posted. About skins with weakspots... imo a learning tool, as long as it does not show a 3D model with modules or 3D armour layout as on your screenshot, I do it differently (check the internet for pictures with weakspots or even check the real modules and crew placement from real blueprints if I have problems with a new tank or forgot some things about an old one).

Also I think that zoom out, zoom in for arty is too much advantage and I stopped using it. With it you could zoom in on a tank under the bridge so the bridge itself would not change the trajectory and you were able to shoot target that were otherwise safe from arty without this mod.

Are you using Locastan's or is that xvm? Been looking for a non-xvm version of the minimap mod, but all I've found is Locastan's "HD Minimap mod" which just made my minimap HD instead of putting last known locations on it.

the feature is an xvm feature iirc

That one is very annoying when I notice people using it. Also hate the automatic extinguishers mod. I consider them both cheats.

Locastans HD minimap doesn't support last known location and he said he won't ever do it.

Locastan implemented the last known position a while ago. I'm thinking about installing it, but I'll have to remove almost every other "bonus" since I don't like having tmi on the minimap.

There is a file xml called Map.xml or something similar, open it with notepad and manually enable the last known position. You can also remove the new icons or the HD maps if you want, check out the txt file that comes with the mod.

Locastan implemented the last known position a while ago. I'm thinking about installing it, but I'll have to remove almost every other "bonus" since I don't like having tmi on the minimap.

There is a file xml called Map.xml or something similar, open it with notepad and manually enable the last known position. You can also remove the new icons or the HD maps if you want, check out the txt file that comes with the mod.

Funny, I use locastan for everything except the last known.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned this mod.

1356497365_laser_mod_wot_0.8.2.jpg

That one actually is banned, though. I know I'd love to use it if it were freely available though. I also use the mod that lets you hold down the mouse button to fire, mainly to save my save myself from carpal tunnel and a broken left mouse button from spamming the key so much. It doesn't feel any faster than when I do spam it.