urnotpaul

wargame: Red Dragon

Beta seems to be working as intended!

So the ANZAC F-111 with the eight 1,000kg bombs are so totally broken.

3v3 game, I spammed Hornets and Skyhawks to soak and eliminate enemy AA, then wrecked shit with the F-111's. Got over 3700 points of kills, highest on the team, and 2/3 of those kills were with two F-111's.

Oh yes, I see your large occupied city of several hundred infantry, BMP's, flakguns and tanks. Oh look, 16 bombs are falling. RIP city.

The decks system (card limit of five for everything, expensive transport availability, and wonky specialization rules) are a slight put off for me at the moment. The fact that most of my games have been artillery-laden campfests is really the biggest issue for me though. Lots of new units to play with (I adore the Ka-52) but plenty of the high tier stuff still needs to be adjusted, mainly concerning pricing and avialability.

Acknowledging this is still earlier stages of the beta, but I may try getting some more ALB in over RD now.

I really do not like how it looks zoomed out. It looks extremely low res like it isnt properly rendered and it really screws with my eyes.

So naval shit is legit. Frigates have CIWS for point defense. Some of the small corvettes also mount CIWS systems for point defense and they'll target any enemy missile in range. Let's you set up a wall of defense behind which your heavy hitters are almost immune to anti-shipping missiles.

AI tried a tank push in the middle, a few corvettes of mine with 76mm autoloader guns wrecked their shit from a kilometer offshore. I was feeling cocky, until a few T-80s took up a hidden position in some trees and sank a ship.

Plus the sound of over a dozen 20mm Vulcans going off to shoot down missiles....dat sound.....

That said, we experienced two desyncs in two games.

No multiplayer campaign yet and they changed it somewhat anyway. Battle groups of the division sort no longer exist. You now have what amounts to regiments I guess with tank, recon, infantry and so on generally being independent. It allows you greater flexibility on the campaign map. Aircraft now operate out of air bases and can be sent off to fight at any province in range and are reset at the end of every turn. There are full on naval battles in the campaign and they are kind of boring.

There is a new after action screen for campaigns. Ditto with pre-action. It's more informative right down to telling you how many of each unit has been lost to-date. I'll post screens later.

The first campaign was a modern rendition of the Korean war. Hold the Bus an perimeter and land at Seoul.

Second campaign was a fictional enlargement of Vietnam's invasion of Cambodia where China and Russia fight to support their allows. As China you try to invade Russia.

One thing I feel is broken is that thus far you can stonewall a side by placing a unit and withdrawing when they attack. As attacking to force that withdraw removes their ability to act. It could be as simple as one unit of one vehicle leading to this. I have to double check something though for ways to beat it but thus far it looks game breaking for multiplayer campaign at least, for when ever they add it.

Arg I want to get this, I've been going back and playing more AirLand Battle to work more on relying on infantry deployments as the new meta seems to be more infantry/helo reliant than the AirLand Battle meta. (though I could be talking out of my ass there)

I am interested in all the new campaigns, the way that the units are described kind of confuses me though. It's not like the 82nd Airborne and all their shit anymore or what?

Not that I've seen. I'm only going through the campaigns in order though and so haven't seen whether the later campaigns have full divisions. Units seem to have slightly lower cost on the strategic map but let's say we have the 82nd airborne. You would have to bring any recon choppers, planes, attack helicopters, anti-air and infantry separately. Income seems a bit lower than it used to be but most things at least for China cost only 10-15 points to bring in. Only tanks cost 25 from what I've seen.

Game sucks dick.

1. 0 City cluster maps (I know they were fucking terrible in ALB, but srs hong kong and it's a desert)

2. OP french again, retarded french developers once again show bias.

3. Once again any pact that's not USSR gets fucked.

4. Most coast battles literally consist of soley people spamming frigates, it's a bit ridiculous when there are more destroyers than tanks on the map.

5. Still haven't fixed problems that most games consist of heli-spam

Actually liking campaign so far. Some story and characters is nice, and units at the regiment/brigade level allows you to be more creative, if you will. Lack of some units entirely can also make things interesting in battle.

AI seems better, but it still cheats.

Overall, I find RD enjoyable, but I wouldn't say it lived up to the hype (could use some more polish). That last bit goes especially for Naval battles. I don't intend to play any of them anytime soon.

Waiting to see what's coming up so far as patching and DLCs, especially concerning NWSP and Scandinavia.

Planning on getting it soon (1 week), after playing only EE.

Anybody here interested in playing with me over TS and maybe helping me a bit too? I've been watching a shit-load of YT videos, so I think I will be able to catch up fast :)

Planning on playing the multiplayer mainly ^^

i'm looking for some good players to forge pubstomping alliance :>

I'm still around too, just not so much as of late with school starting back up.  With the exception of a few things (and completely ignoring naval,) I feel the state of the game is in a pretty good place.