I could benefit from this as well. I can't get my T71 to passively scout successfully. The higher tiered mediums and TD's on my team out scout me without even trying. When I do a drive through to try and get that initial wave of scouts, I tend to find myself in a one on one or one on two with the enemy's scouts. I've started to change my initial strategy to now follow a fast medium off the cap, preferably a few tiers higher and just try and support his position.

Only light tanks I play nowadays are the amx 13 90 and type 64, but I play them both fairly similarly. Usually I'll be doing one/a few of the following: sitting in a bush to spot, poking over a ridge to spot, shooting distracted opponents, or relocating. Basically, I play my lights like fast mediums with more emphasis on getting into early positions to scout. Oh, and weigh the risks before shooting something, otherwise you might terribly die. 

This is coming from a not high level player, so take whatever grains of salt you feel you need, but the lights generally have some significant differences depending on tier. Also leaving out the Chaffee and ELC for this, as I think those tanks are different enough that talking more about them specifically is more informative. My advice will probably be very different to the good players as well.

The tier 6 lights have very anemic guns compared to the armour they will be facing. There will be times you can't even pen the rear of a tank you're facing unless you know exactly where to aim, and rear weakpoints are not a commonly researched thing comparatively in other tanks! This means you really have to put more emphasis on pure scouting play in those higher tier games. Look for good players in tanks that are able to dish out damage, and see what you can do to light targets for them. Wait a little bit if there look to be potential suiscouts before finding a position, otherwise you can end up spotted and destroyed just as quickly as the enemy suiscout. With your gun being almost an afterthought in some of the high tier games, don't be afraid to take a bit of risk to get into a really good spotting position though, especially if it will help break a stalemate.

Vision is often your weapon, and just like for most other tanks the really good players recommend getting your gun in the game as much as possible, this is probably true for vision in the lower tier scouts - its just a very fine line to tread because the higher tier tanks can often out spot you without camo to help you out.

Each tier above this the guns start to become more viable (I am looking forward to trying the T71 soon), and it becomes more important to preserve for late game (this is also true at lower tier battle in your tier 6 scouts).

Don't listen to dumbarse team-mates who think scouting means you have to be balls deep in enemy territory. If you don't already have view-range showing mods installed, I highly recommend them. Then, you can tell if you're lighting things up, and if so, it is not essential to move further up until those targets are dealt with.

It is unfortunate with scout MM that you will probably have to solopub more than you normally would, so finding ways to communicate with other players in a useful way can really help, but is very inconsistent.

Carry half gold rounds to compensate for the anemic penetration light tanks have. Train 6th sense and camo on all your crews, then go for view range skills. If you have 3 skills on a crew, one should be BIA to improve view range. Running camo is extremely important since you get the camo bonus of being stationary while you are moving in a light tank. Run optics on all of them.

Sample:

Commander 6th / BIA / camo...get recon if you can start a 4th

Gunner camo / BIA / designated target

Driver camo / BIA / off road or clutch braking

Radio camo / BIA / situational awareness

Loader camo / BIA / repair (yeah loader skills are useless)

Situationally spot early, hope your team isn't too potato/tomato to hit the targets, and vulture late when the enemy is focused on your teammates.

If you don't have proper support with your initial deployment, don't wait too long...GTFO and live to partake in the rest of the fight. Unlike clan wars, pubbies don't see a lone scout and go "damn I wonder what's behind him" or "oh crap...here comes arty"...rather they fall all over themselves going for the "easy kill". Cuz YAY 200 AVERAGE DAMAGE WHEN YOU CAN RACK UP A WHOPPING 0.7 KPG!!!

Oh, and try not to play the tier 4 light tanks any more than you have to. In high tier battles, those are a special kind of torture.

I'm running QB's mod pack. Does anyone know if his sight range circle is vehicle specific and does it alter the range with binocs and optics. I get the feeling it's set at a given distance regardless of tank type.

There should be multiple.

I use selas, and it has:

Max view range (most common one)

Your view range (include optics, crew skills etc)

Binocs range

Proxy spotting range

Draw distance Square

Sample:

Commander 6th / BIA / camo...get recon if you can start a 4th

Gunner camo / BIA / designated target

Driver camo / BIA / off road or clutch braking

Radio camo / BIA / situational awareness

Loader camo / BIA / repair (yeah loader skills are useless)

Camo and 6th sense should be first like you mentioned, but BIA should not be second. Lights live and die by abusing camo and view range, so your second skill should be focused on improving view range (situational awareness, and recon). I could seen an argument for putting BIA as third since it also can improve camo and view range, just not as much as the individual skills. I probably wouldn't take BIA until skill 4 or 5.

Higher tier scout tanks have the highest skill ceiling. Being successful in them is really a test of patience and dependent on Match making.

The order of which I generally proceed is as follows:

I. Initial spotting, focus on eliminating high view range enemies.

II. Harass and occasional safe spotting.

Lock down high tier enemies with tracking shots and getting them to constantly aim at me. Each gun that isn't pointing at my team is better for the win.

III. When teams have significant attrition (40-50% dead) begin to use "open" parts of the map. Continue to flank and harass, hunt down any remaining light/medium tanks that pose a significant threat.

Consider killing arty if it is easily vulnerable.

IV. When down to 25-30% teams remaining, hunt down low hp enemy tanks irrespective of the type. The map should be much more open to flanking and vision control.

Consider using capture as an option to force camping enemies tanks out. This is generally more viable if your team doesn't have the HPs/tanks to push the remaining dug-in defenders.