Sign in to follow this  
Flametz

BT-7, the low tier hidden gem.

Foreword:

I feel a bit guily having leached off all the useful topics and posts, on top of the superb guides on this forum... so i decided to contribute a bit. Only issue is that i have no expertise in anything but my one and only sealclubber: the BT-7. So... here it is.

I apologize in advance to those who look down on low tier (e.x <5) tanks.

So... (Picture credit goes to cwjian90 below this post :D)

BT-7193720K_zps3d8296f1.jpg

Review:

-Well... there isn't too much to talk about it wthout going into detail. A zippy tier 3 light with next to 0 armor (can still bounce the .50 on the T7 combat car and the rare Pz IIJ), good accuracy, and mediocre to sub-par view range with a gun that lacks penetration against some tier 4-5 tanks.

Mobility:

10/10

This is the calling card of the BT-7: Speed.

With a blistering top speed of 65 km/h, a powerful 500 HP engine providing a 35 HP/Ton ratio, and superb traverse rate of 54 degrees/sec, this tank can relocate in a snap, and blast up hills as if they aren't there (E.x. 40-48 km/h on El halluf's uphill in that corner of the map). When combined with clutch braking, it becomes one of the best circlers in the game, as it can troll even the fastest of the TDs in the tier. In spirit, it drives a lot like a T-54/Obj 140 at tier 3.

Oh, and it can also drift.

Like a mini T-50-2 with a lower speed limit.

Armor:

2/10

... Nothing special. 15mm middle glacis, 20mm upper. 15mm of side armor + frontally mounted turret means that it has reverse-sidescrape potential against autocannons, and the rounded turret can occ. produce the LOL-bounce, but it's nothing to be relied upon. In fact, if you're getting shot in this, you're doing it wrong because...

Camo:

9/10

Very. Damn. Good. You can run up to a bush and expect to stay hidden from a Sherman up until he near auto-spot range (~70m) if the crew is at least 50% on camo. This would give it great scout potential if it wasn't for...

View Range:

6/10

Bad. 300m is nothing good. Even with binocs and situational awareness skill, you'll still struggle to spot a stationary Matilda that's farther then 360m. In tier 3 games though, it will suffice (gotten quite a few patrol duty/scout medals doing that). Active scouting in this is a no-go (unless against blind TDs like the Hetzer or SU-85), as they'll spot you zipping around and shred you before they get in your view range.

Firepower:

7/10

This... is a tricky one. When top tier, the 37mm ZiS will reliably pwn most tanks at range due to it's good accuracy for it's tier (0.39), high RoF (28.57?), and decent penetration. Unfortunately it falls flat on alpha and DPM, so avoid front lines at all costs (try flanking if an opening is found).

Against certain tier 4s, it's going to have to break out gold ammo to even penetrate the sides of certain tanks (Valentine, Matilda, AMX 40, etc.) Deadeye on this can still wreck engines and crews though, so it still has a useful support role here.

Against tier 5s... full gold. 24/7. This is basically what a T69 driver would do against a team full of IS-4s, E-100s and T110E5s.

By now, the alpha is a joke (can still set people on fire). The damage does add up though, so by the time most people realize the health they lost, it would be too late.

Conclusion (Also TL;DR):

The tier 3 child of a Leopard 1 that mated with a T69.

Speed, no armor, and a tank that constantly has to load at least 1/2 gold in case of those games.

My rating: 8/10 without fun factor, 9/10 with fun factor

Tips:

Crew skills:

Commander/Radio: Sixth sense, camo, Situational Awareness/BIA (your choice)

Gunner/loader: Deadeye*, camo, snapshot

Driver: Camo, Clutch braking/Offroad driving (personal taste), smooth ride.

*Deadeye + high RoF = Fun.

Equipment:

(Can't mount rammer... =( )

GLD

Binocs

Camo net/vents (i go with vents since i enjoy getting faster RoF)

Consumables:

Small repair

Small medic

Either lend lease oil or auto fire extinguisher (don't ask why i run auto FE, i'm a paranoid player >.>)

Also, replays (beware, they're older versions of the game, around 8.9, so if anyone can record them that'll be fantastic as i don't have FRAPS):

http://www.wotreplays.org/replay/52abb9059c81a550ef010000.html

http://www.wotreplays.org/replay/5297c590eaa0d44b72010000.html

Please be gentle, it's the first guide i've written D:

I'm absolutely terrible at everything beyond this light tank.

It's pretty good since they buffed it. Used to be the worst Tier 3 statistically, winrate wise. Was my first Tier 3. Had a nine kill game in it once.

Oh, that picture you're using? That's my BT-7 ;)

It's a shame I don't enjoy Tier 3 battles that much, otherwise I'd play it more. Maybe if I can get my clan members to platoon Tier 3 sometimes. It works well with the Pz I C.

It's pretty good since they buffed it. Used to be the worst Tier 3 statistically, winrate wise. Was my first Tier 3. Have a nine kill game in it once.

Oh, that picture you're using? That's my BT-7 ;)

It's a shame I don't enjoy Tier 3 battles that much, otherwise I'd play it more. Maybe if I can get my clan members to platoon Tier 3 sometimes. It works well with the Pz I C.

Thanks, added that to the post.

I still run my BT-7 for s***s n giggles, especially after a losing streak. IMHO it's one of the best stress relievers i've played.

Also one of the few low tiers that don't smash WN8  to the ground, purely due to it's extremely low expected dmg values (one of the lowest in game, and lower then tier 1s such as the ltraktor, FT or MS-1)

I haven't used this thing in forever.  I don't even know if I still have 1 in the garage.  Maybe I will take it out & see it I can make it work.

Yeah, it used to have 280 m view range and 1.9 s aim time...back then the Luchs was a Tier 3 too, and it totally outclassed the BT-7.

Aim time is still 1.9 seconds on the 37mm ZiS :/

They did buff the RoF on the 37mm from 26.09 to 28.57 though.

It's still a bit behind in the firepower category compared to the Pz IIG at tier 3, but it works fine for my playstyle none-the-less.

Aim time is still 1.9 seconds on the 37mm ZiS :/

They did buff the RoF on the 37mm from 26.09 to 28.57 though.

It's still a bit behind in the firepower category compared to the Pz IIG at tier 3, but it works fine for my playstyle none-the-less.

Actually, I think it used to be 2.1. I know they buffed it for both the ZiS-19 and 20-K guns.

Ehhh...II G has that ridiculous 30 mm MK 103. BT-7 is more like the M3 Stuart.

Actually, I think it used to be 2.1. I know they buffed it for both the ZiS-19 and 20-K guns.

Ehhh...II G has that ridiculous 30 mm MK 103. BT-7 is more like the M3 Stuart.

Hmm true. The BT-7 has:

More speed, better gold ammo, better accuracy, higher RoF, less armor, less view range and less gun depression

compared to the stuart. The differences are small at best though.

One interesting point about the m3 is that i haven't seen a single Pzic not fire gold to get through the front. Seems hilariously trollish.

Though both are no match for the BT-SV. Good god i want one badly just because of it's sheer LOL-factor with it's ridiculous combo of speed and armor.

Against the Stuart? Yeah, it has like 35 mm minimum on the front, up to 38 and 43 mm.

Reminds me, I need to replay that thing too...I was cursed on it to lose or something.

I'm not willing to spend $100 to play at a tier that I rarely touch. :P

one of my favorite tanks(a guilty pleasure after they removed the t-50-2), only things i couldn't ask for is view range and less t5 games where you need prem rounds to to the ass of the heavies and some mediums