CAMN

RIP Oculus Rift

Source: http://kotaku.com/facebook-buys-oculus-rift-for-2-billion-1551487939

Facebook has just announced that it's buying Oculus Rift for $2 billion. Seriously.

"Mobile is the platform of today, and now we're also getting ready for the platforms of tomorrow," Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg says. "Oculus has the chance to create the most social platform ever, and change the way we work, play and communicate."

Oculus are equally chuffed. "We are excited to work with Mark and the Facebook team to deliver the very best virtual reality platform in the world," Brendan Iribe, co-founder and CEO of Oculus VR says in a PR release. "We believe virtual reality will be heavily defined by social experiences that connect people in magical, new ways. It is a transformative and disruptive technology, that enables the world to experience the impossible, and it's only just the beginning."

The deal is made up of around $400 million in cash payouts, with the rest being made up of Facebook shares. It's not a done deal yet; it's expected to be finalised in Q2 2014.

I had such high hopes for this thing :(

Time for some rage GIFs...

tiQ8s67.gif

Huh..

It still might be too early to tell how this is going to turn out, though.

Why would Facebook want you using their product to play something other than a Facebook game?

Now you see where it all goes to hell for those of us excited about it.

Huh..

It still might be too early to tell how this is going to turn out, though.

Depends.

But seeing as their a networking company mostly and don't have the background in gaming (Unless you count farmville) or anything of the sort it would be like tesco developing League of legends.

The all new fapbook face stalker accessory. Strap it to your face for real 3d stalking.

even though a lot of people hate facebook it does not mean they will screw up oculus rift. right? they have tons of money to throw at oculus rift. they might even make it much better then it was going to be.

Why would Facebook want you using their product to play something other than a Facebook game?

Now you see where it all goes to hell for those of us excited about it.

Oh no, I'm definitely on the same page as you; I just want to hold out a little before losing all hope for this :/

dunno why u all are getting so excited.  FB just wants to branch out and get bigger.  lookin at google-senpai n shit.

Facebook needs to go the way of Myspace.

I've never had an account with either. People ask for my information and think i'm weird when i tell them i don't have any. 

Now i'm forced into a life of seclusion and can only come out at night to scavenge. 

I have a Facebook account, only basically to keep contact information.  I don't actively post anything on there, especially since they keep changing the interface and making it more retarded.

Just like iTunes actually... interesting...

And youtube...

Seriously, what the fuck.

Sony has a VR headset in development, and this may finally convince Valve into putting their prototype/test model/whatver they're calling it into production.

I have a Facebook account, only basically to keep contact information.  I don't actively post anything on there, especially since they keep changing the interface and making it more retarded.

Just like iTunes actually... interesting...

And youtube...

Seriously, what the fuck.

If it ain't broke fix it till it is? 

I've never had an account with either. People ask for my information and think i'm weird when i tell them i don't have any. 

Now i'm forced into a life of seclusion and can only come out at night to scavenge. 

Same thing here.

mobile.theverge.com/2014/3/25/5547626/minecraft-oculus-vr-cancelled

Looks like people who wish to play Minecraft will have to use the mod as official support won't be coming now.

I have a FB account, but I barely use it for much other than chatting to friends, because texting costs money and landline calls can only talk to one person at a time. Plus you cant send pictures.

Do I use it for what 95% of the rest of the world use it for? Barely. Hell I dont even have a pic of myself on FB lol. My profile pic os a SS of my M18.

Depends.

But seeing as their a networking company mostly and don't have the background in gaming (Unless you count farmville) or anything of the sort it would be like tesco developing League of legends.

The all new fapbook face stalker accessory. Strap it to your face for real 3d stalking.

0CxPiIP.png